Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Sekiro is just hands down one of the best games ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is that the one with the hilariously bad inventory system?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Trick question. That's most games.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The attaché case from the original RE4 is the best inventory system in all gaming and to say otherwise is a moral failing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ultima where it's just a picture of a bag you move other tiny pictures of things on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fridge corn posted:

Sekiro is just hands down one of the best games ever made

Top 3 video games ever made, in no particular order:

-Sekiro, apparently? never played it
-Any game I played as a kid
-Chromehounds

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The fact that said RE4 suitcase and the whole inventory screen is actually 3D objects arranged precisely in space to make the perspective work is still one of the weirdest things to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OezB3oGVEqo&t=217s

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Ultima where it's just a picture of a bag you move other tiny pictures of things on.

Where the gently caress is my mandrake I KNOW it's in here

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Where the gently caress is my mandrake I KNOW it's in here

like they picked the most fuckin universal brown for the color of the backpack when 90% of the poo poo in the game was made of wood. There were mods just to change the backpack color to TURQUOISE

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I dunno why I quoted myself sorry

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

That's why you use a bag and methodically lay out your reagents in the exact same pattern each time you refill it

I would also put a blank map in the bag and put my mandrake over that. That way it either stands out, or I know to look under the map

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jokes posted:

Top 3 video games ever made, in no particular order:

-Sekiro, apparently? never played it
-Any game I played as a kid
-Chromehounds

Top 3 video games:

- Sekiro
- Bloodborne
- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

Space Crabs posted:

Final Fantasy 8 is great and Undertale is embarrassing poo poo and most of it's fanbase needs therapy

Banned and Gone but never wrong (about this one topic) :hayter:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

At first I thought the "you can be a pacifist" conceit of undertale was cool. But in practice it's just doing the fights but slightly differently.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It makes the fights into dialog tree puzzle + bullet hell which is the best JRPG battle system that's ever been done (damning faint praise).

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

My Top 3:
-Cyberpunk 2077 - Last gen
-Alan Wake 2 - New gen
-Witcher 3 - Oldies

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Still the best inventory system of any game by miles. Just get more bags and organise stuff any way you want. I haven't played UO in nearly 20 years but if my account still exists I could log in and know exactly where everything is.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Still the best inventory system of any game by miles. Just get more bags and organise stuff any way you want. I haven't played UO in nearly 20 years but if my account still exists I could log in and know exactly where everything is.

stockholme syndrome, you're not playing their game anymore, you're safe. You're safe, Quote-Unquote!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I like when a game's fall damage can be negated by performing a move in the air that makes you do a cool move and hit the ground twice as fast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

I like when a game's fall damage can be negated by performing a move in the air that makes you do a cool move and hit the ground twice as fast.

I like this when there is no actual fall damage either way, but doing it wrong just makes you look deeply uncool.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Quote-Unquote posted:

It has grids inside the bags now anyway

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Squiggle posted:

It has grids inside the bags now anyway

I know and that's loving stupid. Ultima 7/8/online GUMPs were the pinnacle of game inventory design (assuming you're using a mouse)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
My favorite 3 games

Master of Orion 2
System Shock 2
Quake 2

I obviously peaked in 2000

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

My favorite 3 games

Master of Orion 2
System Shock 2
Quake 2

I obviously peaked in 2000

these are all excellent choices

I can't pick favorites but these three are definitely in my pantheon:

Doom
Pool of Radiance
Civilization II

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Morrowind
Streets of Rage 2
Against the Storm

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Flashback (Amiga version)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Comix Zone

Yes I am old as gently caress and European, fuelled entirely by nostalgia. How could you tell

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
comix zone blew my mind as a little kid

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

comix zone blew my mind as a little kid

Well, considering everything on Genesis was Sonic, then 10 tons of crap, Streets of Rage 2, and then everything else, that's a low bar.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

all games are rhythm games because they're about pressing the buttons in the right order at the right time

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

all games are rhythm games because they're about pressing the buttons in the right order at the right time

Rhythm games show you the buttons you need to press, so all QTE events are rhythm games

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Life is a rhythm game. My brain pressed the “move left foot” button at the wrong time so I tripped over myself and fell over the couch.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
doom
star craft
dwarf fortress
my summer car

couldn't pick three :(

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

well I am sure as gently caress not pressing them right in Sekiro. I feel like the progress I've made has been entirely luck.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Deflect is to Sekiro as dodge-roll is to souls (tapping block to deflect attacks is what people are referring to when they say Sekiro is a rhythm game)

Also, in the vast majority of cases you'll want to be locked onto the enemy you're fighting. In Souls games when you get pretty good you realize that it's often a lot more effective to not lock on at all, since it allows for better freedom of movement. In Sekiro, you can instantly start sprinting in any direction while locked on so there's almost no downside, and the deflect/block system is highly reliant on facing your enemy directly so the battle system just doesn't work very well when you're not using it.

Also you never really have to fight anything that's not a boss, you can just jump/run/sneak/grapple your way past whatever. You have infinite stamina, go ham.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 26, 2024

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

well I am sure as gently caress not pressing them right in Sekiro. I feel like the progress I've made has been entirely luck.

believe in yourself, i know you can do it

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
While it definitely shares some DNA I’m hesitant to call Sekiro a souls game. So if you skip it no one will judge you. Now Bloodborne. That you’re not allowed to skip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

galagazombie posted:

While it definitely shares some DNA I’m hesitant to call Sekiro a souls game. So if you skip it no one will judge you. Now Bloodborne. That you’re not allowed to skip.

I didn't like Bloodborne.

Well art and lore wise it was fun, but gameplay I didn't enjoy it very much.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

It takes a while to stop instinctively trying to evade attacks like a normal souls game. The deflect/parry properly clicked for me while fighting against Lady Butterfly when I realised it really is a rhythm game and you are mostly supposed to hold your ground and time L1s.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the superior parry based ninja action game about sexy men with prosthetic body parts and daddy issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Sadly I am PC master race so at least for now Bloodborne's out of reach. Shame, because it sounds very horror-themed and I love horror.

Don't really want to skip Sekiro so I'll keep chipping away at it. I kept getting my rear end handed to me by some purple guy in Hirata, but I eventually ran past him and grabbed the thing he was guarding. I've made it to another boss dude now and though I've failed in my first two attempts he feels SO MUCH easier than purple guy. So gently caress purple guy for now. I think maybe going after him is this game's equivalent of trying to take down the Tree Sentinel right out of Elden Ring's tutorial.

Also I get the feeling this game wants me to hop back and forth between areas a fair amount? The chained up ogre beat me senseless until I gave up on him and went to Hirata, where I found the thing that can set him on fire that the two dudes just before him were hinting at. So if I hit a boss wall I'm just gonna go find another wall.

razamataza posted:

It takes a while to stop instinctively trying to evade attacks like a normal souls game. The deflect/parry properly clicked for me while fighting against Lady Butterfly when I realised it really is a rhythm game and you are mostly supposed to hold your ground and time L1s.

Not moving around constantly is something I picked up on pretty quick, but my L1 timing is still very much a work in progress. My vision is kind of balls which doesn't help much. I also frequently have a cat in my face.