Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ugh, the "I was born in the wrong era" / "Things were so much simpler in the old days!" guys. Very closely related to "You can't judge the actions of people in the past by modern standards" guys (spoiler: you can always find someone in the same era going "Hey this is hosed up and we shouldn't be doing it" if you dig a little)

Endorph posted:

ehh thats kinda reductive.
I think in the context of this conversation, it's less about how you should cancel historical figures and more mocking the viewpoint that every single period character should be a virulent xenophobe who hatecrimes on sight and it's unrealistic if there's like, a minority living in a medieval village without being immediately killed. Even in the past there was a spectrum of tolerance among people like today. It's not Star Wars where every single member of a civilization has the same personality.

Incidentally, people give modern day Japan the exact same treatment as medieval Europe.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

mycot posted:

I think in the context of this conversation, it's less about how you should cancel historical figures and more mocking the viewpoint that every single period character should be a virulent xenophobe who hatecrimes on sight and it's unrealistic if there's like, a minority living in a medieval village without being immediately killed. Even in the past there was a spectrum of tolerance among people like today. It's not Star Wars where every single member of a civilization has the same personality.

Incidentally, people give modern day Japan the exact same treatment as medieval Europe.

This same attitude tends to crop up with some frequency in fantasy and rpg spaces and it always bugs me. Usually in the form of "Only white people ever existed in pre-Modern Europe" or "Townsfolk in a fantasy setting will always be racist against non-human races as a universal constant". It's really annoying.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Nobody even remembers this but there was a Twitter account that was someone pretending to be a Japanese housewife (but is totally into video games and anime!) and they had so many followers for tweets like:

"What is this lgbt...it sounds scary..."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KingKalamari posted:

Usually in the form of "Only white people ever existed in pre-Modern Europe"

Someone somewhere is probably complaining about Shakespeare being woke because of Othello :v:

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

https://youtu.be/-aSdFrPnlRg?feature=shared

This two-parter by premodernist on medieval Europe has a good perspective on how and why people would be suspicious of, but ultimately quite curious towards, outsiders of all flavors. And how concepts used to filter perspective in modern times would have been completely different back then. Tbh I don't get why no one is asking me if I'm a Christian all the goddamn time in all my medieval fantasy games as that was apparently hella important, my immersion is forever broken

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
And that gets into one of the other big, unexamined assumptions a lot of people have in these sorts of discussions: That it's perfectly fine for fantasy settings to deviate from historical accuracy in major areas like religion, but absolutely needs to conform to their own preconceptions of "Historical accuracy" in matters of race.

Really the entire conceit that a fantasy setting needs to conform to a generic late-medieval European mold is a silly, arbitrary standard.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
uh, yeah, the eternal war of Elf vs Orc is immutable historical fact, and for that reason, Im going to make your life miserable for this disgusting revisionism and relentlessly hound your Twitter account...

oh, wait. it's mostly bots and some people who agree with me now. :(

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

mycot posted:

Nobody even remembers this but there was a Twitter account that was someone pretending to be a Japanese housewife (but is totally into video games and anime!) and they had so many followers for tweets like:

There's one with horrible broken english recently that uses the Mogusa Shirose pic as the pfp that didn't last for long and faded away, but you're thinking of the one that uses the chibi Eva 01 from an account that didn't bother, for years, to remove the tweets that were like "Hey I'm moving to Japan soon since my wife is from there. Do you know where I can find some quick and easy japanese coursebooks?" before they started acting as their "wife". They only came back for a while because they got a reminder that they could just return if they removed one offending tweet to get unbanned.

It was nuts bc they would pass this as the "true opinion of japanese people". You could just scroll back and read that! You could even see his face next to his wife!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 25, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bird. posted:

This two-parter by premodernist on medieval Europe has a good perspective on how and why people would be suspicious of, but ultimately quite curious towards, outsiders of all flavors. And how concepts used to filter perspective in modern times would have been completely different back then. Tbh I don't get why no one is asking me if I'm a Christian all the goddamn time in all my medieval fantasy games as that was apparently hella important, my immersion is forever broken

Those were some really great and informative videos. Some highlights were his constant, exasperated "no, they aren't going to immediately burn you as a witch" and in the second part where he reacts with complete surprise to people asking "what if I bring a gun?"

The best piece of context I got from those videos, though, and what most people really miss (since it is so far from our contemporary context) is how basically all traveling is going to be like rough camping.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kunster posted:

There's one with horrible broken english recently that uses the Mogusa Shirose pic as the pfp that didn't last for long and faded away, but you're thinking of the one that uses the chibi Eva 01 from an account that didn't bother, for years, to remove the tweets that were like "Hey I'm moving to Japan soon since my wife is from there. Do you know where I can find some quick and easy japanese coursebooks?" before they started acting as their "wife". They only came back for a while because they got a reminder that they could just return if they removed one offending tweet to get unbanned.

Yeah, for a while I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a deception and not a cringey gimmick because the idea of a weeb pretending to be a Japanese woman using an avatar of Unit 01 felt too on the nose.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My favourite medieval black dude is John Blanke, trumpeter to the Royal Court for Henry VII and Henry VIII, successfully petitioned the King for a raise, married an Englishwoman, might have died in battle

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of burning witches, Something Wicked just released a video where he sculpts a purported 17th century witch's familiar. He also delves into the personal history of the specific woman who allegedly summoned this creature and it's all pretty hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nEeAPaNAo4

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Kunster posted:

It was nuts bc they would pass this as the "true opinion of japanese people". You could just scroll back and read that! You could even see his face next to his wife!

That was mombot and it was hilarious yet unsurprising when it turned out the account owner was neither a housewife nor Japanese and was just pretending to be both to score points in the online culture war.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

LanceHunter posted:

Those were some really great and informative videos. Some highlights were his constant, exasperated "no, they aren't going to immediately burn you as a witch" and in the second part where he reacts with complete surprise to people asking "what if I bring a gun?"

The best piece of context I got from those videos, though, and what most people really miss (since it is so far from our contemporary context) is how basically all traveling is going to be like rough camping.

I love how he feels the need to constantly reinforce the fact that you won't be executed over every single slight. That is definitely a comment he is tired of seeing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mr.Radar posted:

Just watched a really good video by Eyebrow Cinema about the challenges of watching and analyzing older films with elements that are problematic from a modern perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owTp7S8Vo5Q

My problem with this whole "[Thing/Person] from the past shouldn't be judged by modern standards" issue is that the implicit framing of that stance is "Because they had no idea about it and these standards are completely modern and fabricated".

People aren't looking at Desk Set from 1957 and trying to shame them for not following modern Agile programming methodologies or Systems Engineering standards developed post Y2K. Pointing at dressing up Sean Connery's James Bond in yellow face in You Only Live Twice is completely valid. Yellow Face and Black Face were known to be racist caricatures long before that time. Hell, the very existence of Minstrel Shows is a deliberately racist social construct created to perpetuate racist depictions. Dr. Seuss' racist cartoons about the Japanese were seen as racist IN THEIR DAY.

Going back even further: Holding the Founding Fathers of the USA accountable for their racism in holding and keeping slaves is entirely valid because abolition was already a well established political movement in the 1700s. You can't even pretend that it was a niche or fringe political movement they were unaware of because almost all of them have surviving political writings talking about it, or engaged in actions directly informed by and in opposition to it. George Washington purposefully had his slaves on a turn over cycle in his Philadelphia residence because the city had laws stating that any slave which resided there for 6 months or more (in any capacity) would automatically be granted their freedom.

Regressives and Conservatives want to pretend that any kind of social justice movements are a thoroughly modern invention that has only existed in the last 20 years, forever sliding forward. They want to pretend that LGBTQ movements only popped into existence in 2004. Just like how they wanted to pretend that back in 2004 it only popped into existence in 1984. They want to pretend that no one had ever heard of anyone being transgender before "the modern day". That no one cared about race until Obama became president.

It is an entirely bad faith argument that boils down to "I don't have a problem with it, so shut up and stop trying to make me think about things".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mycot posted:

the darkid's evil twin...

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bird. posted:

I really enjoyed his Genghis Khan Day video as well. Wish he uploaded more, he's one of the few YouTube historians who avoids the Dan Carlin trap of entertaining but shallow Great Man pop-history, and his Genghis video is really good about analyzing how those narratives form.

https://youtu.be/uWsY8HsuahY?si=qDL41yM3DvhCyefX

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I love how he feels the need to constantly reinforce the fact that you won't be executed over every single slight. That is definitely a comment he is tired of seeing.

Yeah. He also made an interesting point to the folks leaning in on "I'll explain <modern science concept> to them" with the point "sure, but how are you going to prove it?" It got me thinking about what intro-level experiments I even remember off the top of my head and could re-create without any modern tools.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the darkid's evil twin...

TheLightEgo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crain posted:

Hell, the very existence of Minstrel Shows is a deliberately racist social construct created to perpetuate racist depictions.

Thomas D. Rice, creator of the Jim Crow character, is generally seen as the "father of American minstrelsy" (he didn't invent it but he sure popularised it) and when he took his act of the England in 1836 he'd end his performances with a speech against England's decision to abolish slavery in the territories

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Crain posted:

Regressives and Conservatives want to pretend that any kind of social justice movements are a thoroughly modern invention that has only existed in the last 20 years, forever sliding forward. They want to pretend that LGBTQ movements only popped into existence in 2004. Just like how they wanted to pretend that back in 2004 it only popped into existence in 1984. They want to pretend that no one had ever heard of anyone being transgender before "the modern day". That no one cared about race until Obama became president.

LGBT was invented on Tumblr in 2014. That's why everybody in other countries are all straight and cis, because they're not online. Source: my Japanese wife, who is also myself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
https://twitter.com/Reylossance/status/1767891328418164881?t=xZYTHg5xhUeV5lnHEWYhmQ&s=19

Follow up on the Attack Helicopter author whose harassment many freaks (some in this thread!) Cheered on

Heartbreaking poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
"disk horse" is maybe the worst term on Twitter.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 25, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i'm not reading all that. please recite the text in those tweets instead on youtube with some lofi hiphop and no less than 4 ad breaks

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/22543858/isabel-fall-attack-helicopter

The story they're quoting is from 2021.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Got clickbaited by the Reylo proshipper account smh. This is what I get for clicking on a tweet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah. He also made an interesting point to the folks leaning in on "I'll explain <modern science concept> to them" with the point "sure, but how are you going to prove it?" It got me thinking about what intro-level experiments I even remember off the top of my head and could re-create without any modern tools.

Related, coldcrashpictures did a video about colonialism as reflected in adaptations of The Lost World and pointed out that some of them use the old trope of Europeans introducing 'advanced' farming techniques to 'ignorant savages' when the historical reality of Europeans disrupting African crop farming systems was very much the opposite and did WAY more harm than good

The relevant section start at about 27:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyczktZVbzA

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mycot posted:

Got clickbaited by the Reylo proshipper account smh. This is what I get for clicking on a tweet.

Oops

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

well, it's still heartbreaking, three years after the fact

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Whiny video by whiny gamer about the Sweet Baby Rays controversy. How long can you last?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZageHrl8qgM

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sweet Baby Rays being trash is a stance I can get behind.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Whiny video by whiny gamer about the Sweet Baby Rays controversy. How long can you last?

i watched the whole video and am now enlightened + a chud now

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

is that not the retsupurae logo

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Redlyne explores old abandoned games and empty servers in virtual worlds. Some of these servers are over 2 decades old and still up, acting as a time capsule for communities that people held dear and fondly remember. Some are also just abandoned malls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm0J0cx-lJw

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i watched the whole video and am now enlightened + a chud now

Enchuddened

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cumpantry posted:

is that not the retsupurae logo

Nope. This is Retsupurae's (RIP) logo:

KiraTV is a bearded British guy who used to make funny videos about terrible cryptocurrency projects but now has moved to Thailand and thinks he's a documentary maker.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Spacehopper Returns to Red Dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcRleWwWpsY

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I couldn't even make it past the thumbnail.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

TheMightyBoops posted:

The first ingredient is freaking corn :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

their original restaurant slaps tho. I doubt they use the exact same sauce however.