Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Like, just make all hip drops retroactive fines and figure it out on Monday

But don't let refs actually gently caress up things even more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure NFL refs, who we all know are great at their jobs, will call this accurately and consistently.

I don't care if refs can call it or not, having less legs explode at the expense of a penalty is fine. As discussed, everyone cried about the horse collar and now it's just fine. Hip drop tackles are pretty easy to see because it's generally on a one on one play in the open field.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

"is this a tackle?" is the new "is this a catch?"

This season is going to be such a ref poo poo show.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

"is this a tackle?" is the new "is this a catch?"

This season is going to be such a ref poo poo show.

They're gonna call it a lot in week 1 and then ease up

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I also think it's a tackle you see a lot more in college because NFL players are just more fundamentally sound players and use proper tackling technique. I don't think it's going to be as big of an issue as everyone is thinking but go on and overreact like usual.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

I also think it's a tackle you see a lot more in college because NFL players are just more fundamentally sound players and use proper tackling technique. I don't think it's going to be as big of an issue as everyone is thinking but go on and overreact like usual.

Kollman makes a good point

https://x.com/BrettKollmann/status/1772290295083753690?s=20

Time for Tampa 2 style small linebackers to play CB again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Preston Smith has been training for years for this moment.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sam LaPorta 100 catch, 1,500 yard season incoming.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/JoriEpstein/status/1772289761098506644?s=19

I can't really speak on the rule since I don't really understand how it's going to be enforced/defined, but once per game seems like a small number to legislate.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

Gronk gonna come out of retirement.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Vertical Lime posted:

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1772280701963944235?s=46

so now if the first or second challenge is successful they get a third one

wait does that mean the hip drop tackle is eliminated now?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

wandler20 posted:

Hip drop tackles are for lovely players who don't know proper technique and has no place in football at any level. It's wreckless and dangerous.

agreed but

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure NFL refs, who we all know are great at their jobs, will call this accurately and consistently.

best case scenario is that the refs just blank on this like they did the one season they made pass interference reviewable. (even though that shouldve been a positive change). enforce this rule with fines instead of penalties imo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The amount of insane overreaction across the internet to this hip drop tackle thing is fantastic :allears:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Ravens stay winning

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

fknlo posted:

The amount of insane overreaction across the internet to this hip drop tackle thing is fantastic :allears:

i think we're all just tired of refs. i frankly wouldnt even care about the wrong calls if they just loving sped poo poo up and got it over with. its annoying when procedural bullshit takes up so much time while the viewer at home gets a better and faster look at something than a ref on the field. the fact that i can watch a replay and come to a similar conclusion faster is ridiculous

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is from rugby but gives a good explanation of what is and isn't a hip drop. There are still plenty of ways to tackle. Hip drops are a type of tackle that primarily involves grabbing on the shoulders or waist and falling on the runners' legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KJ9mCbS3rU

Hip drops are relatively recent in their overall prevalence because people are coaching defenders to do it more because it is a way to stop a runner with a good chance of getting them out of the game. Greggg wasn't the only shithead in football - he was just the one running too blatant a bounty program.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 25, 2024

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1772292839839240553

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I wish there was a way to 'fix' football so that fighting over the extra foot, or inch, wasn't so important. It seems like every dangerous tackle is to get the defender to fall sideways instead of forward.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Imagine have to be nice to a guy that royally hosed you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

trevorreznik posted:

I wish there was a way to 'fix' football so that fighting over the extra foot, or inch, wasn't so important. It seems like every dangerous tackle is to get the defender to fall sideways instead of forward.

There are plenty of ways to tackle without deliberately targeting the runner's legs in the way that hip drops work

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are plenty of ways to tackle without deliberately targeting the runner's legs in the way that hip drops work

I agree, but a lot of them allow the runner to fall forward more easily. Doing hip drops, horse collars, or even tackling with your helmet across the runner's body (instead of outside of it like rugby) are all to take the runner sideways/back. Just wrapping up at the knees results in the runner falling forward with the ball extended if no one else is there. It's one of the big flaws of the game that is obsessed with measuring to the inch after a few plays of arbitrary spots.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

Why wouldnt he be nice to himself?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

trevorreznik posted:

I agree, but a lot of them allow the runner to fall forward more easily. Doing hip drops, horse collars, or even tackling with your helmet across the runner's body (instead of outside of it like rugby) are all to take the runner sideways/back. Just wrapping up at the knees results in the runner falling forward with the ball extended if no one else is there. It's one of the big flaws of the game that is obsessed with measuring to the inch after a few plays of arbitrary spots.

this is unrelated but it did remind me that they need to put a loving chip in the loving ball! enough of this chain gang BULLSHIT

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mcmagic posted:

He's clearly looking toward his new job next season, smart to get ahead on that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

this is unrelated but it did remind me that they need to put a loving chip in the loving ball! enough of this chain gang BULLSHIT

It's really funny that the NFL has untold billions of dollars and yet everything can come down to some yahoos dragging chains around, measuring two points that probably weren't accurate to begin with. Like this is literal prehistoric tech my dudes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Borsche69 posted:

Funny you mentioned this, it just came up last month

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2024/02/29/nfl-chain-gangs-tracking-technology-first-down-rulings/72797020007/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fknlo posted:

Wait until someone hip drops Kelce on 4th and 8 in the playoffs

it's gonna be like Christmas...for kids with coal

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1772300839471751495?t=3WPkBINGMMkPBsSIeF-3LA&s=19

I love that the Steelers are assigned to Northern Ireland and not the rest of the UK. The NFL is part of the Illuminati and knows the Irish Unification of 2024 is still a go.

I am a little surprised Steelers aren't also part of Korea still

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/VLONEPREDATOR/status/1770596392144372203

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in 15 years ballcarriers will still be allowed to get low and ram people with the top of their head, and sometimes even get a free 15 yards for doing so

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is from rugby but gives a good explanation of what is and isn't a hip drop. There are still plenty of ways to tackle. Hip drops are a type of tackle that primarily involves grabbing on the shoulders or waist and falling on the runners' legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KJ9mCbS3rU

Hip drops are relatively recent in their overall prevalence because people are coaching defenders to do it more because it is a way to stop a runner with a good chance of getting them out of the game. Greggg wasn't the only shithead in football - he was just the one running too blatant a bounty program.

Like half the tackles in that NFL example video previous page, the defender made no contact with the other players legs

E: like from the example video it looked like anything where the defender grabs on and uses their body weight to bring the player down is now illegal

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lamar as Bam Margera… kind of checks out?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

swickles posted:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1772300839471751495?t=3WPkBINGMMkPBsSIeF-3LA&s=19

I love that the Steelers are assigned to Northern Ireland and not the rest of the UK. The NFL is part of the Illuminati and knows the Irish Unification of 2024 is still a go.

I am a little surprised Steelers aren't also part of Korea still

I just straight up don't understand this program. In some countries, 10 teams are allowed to... market themselves? Be liked? And in others, you get the Rams, GOD DAMMIT

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
France getting the Saints is called synergy baby

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Please turn Austria into part of Chiefs Kingdom since it was already my favorite country to visit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also lol at them giving the Rams all of Asia

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
pleased to see that new zealand has graduated from the "just the rams" set, and now gets an actual second team. positively delighted that that second team is the eagles.

no idea what any of this actually entails; i'm that annoying fucker on the streets of wellington striking up conversation with literally anyone in an nfl shirt, and despite nz being "assigned" to the rams, they're one of the only teams whose logo i've never seen around here.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I just straight up don't understand this program. In some countries, 10 teams are allowed to... market themselves? Be liked? And in others, you get the Rams, GOD DAMMIT

I also just don't get why it's divvied up the way it is. Why do the Falcons and Panthers get a shot at Germany, but not Austria or Switzerland? Is Ghanaian culture so radically different from Nigerian that one is a better fit for the Eagles while the other is doomed to an eternity of rooting for the Browns? The Dolphins being in on all the Latin American countries makes a little bit of sense, but why are the Patriots included in Brazil and only Brazil?

E:

dingo with a joint posted:

no idea what any of this actually entails; i'm that annoying fucker on the streets of wellington striking up conversation with literally anyone in an nfl shirt, and despite nz being "assigned" to the rams, they're one of the only teams whose logo i've never seen around here.

Prepping for the inevitable move to Auckland

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

NFL accidentally advocating for the reunification of Ireland through... Steelers fandom. A pyrrhic victory at best for the republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol that the Lions don't even get England.