Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Whenever microchips in balls come up, someone has to point out that there are like half a dozen other, more important judgment calls involved in spotting the ball than knowing the absolute position of the ball. And today, I guess it’s going to be me.

Also the microchip would have an actual position within the ball, and the rule is not “get the center of the microchip over the line”, so it wouldn’t even be ruling out a judgment call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Put the microchip in both ends of the ball and also the fingertips of all players.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

swickles posted:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1772300839471751495?t=3WPkBINGMMkPBsSIeF-3LA&s=19

I love that the Steelers are assigned to Northern Ireland and not the rest of the UK. The NFL is part of the Illuminati and knows the Irish Unification of 2024 is still a go.

I am a little surprised Steelers aren't also part of Korea still

why do AUS/NZ get Eagles and Rams

and the Rams getting all of China while five teams split Switzerland lol what

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

dingo with a joint posted:

pleased to see that new zealand has graduated from the "just the rams" set, and now gets an actual second team. positively delighted that that second team is the eagles.

no idea what any of this actually entails; i'm that annoying fucker on the streets of wellington striking up conversation with literally anyone in an nfl shirt, and despite nz being "assigned" to the rams, they're one of the only teams whose logo i've never seen around here.

My husband is from Philly and half-kiwi and is currently over there, so you can thank him, sure he had something to do with it

I like the Germanics being into Lions football (I know a lot of it is random nonsense but)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Put the microchip in both ends of the ball and also the fingertips of all players.

The ball doesn’t have to be advanced tip first.

If you want to make the ball some sort of prism, you could put a microchip in every vertex.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It would take Star Trek level technology to do what people are imagining when they say "just put a chip in the ball!"

I don't think people understand the complexity that would be involved and the current limitations of technology.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It would take Star Trek level technology to do what people are imagining when they say "just put a chip in the ball!"

I don't think people understand the complexity that would be involved and the current limitations of technology.

we need to use point clouds

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

*in Seinfeld voice*

Why not just make the whole ball the microchip?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I guess the Ravens don't care about the international market

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Let Amazon AI spot the ball. If it can schedule the season that gave us six Jets prime time games, it can do anything.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Amazon AI can highlight players it thinks will rush the passer and be correct almost 7% of the time so I trust it with spots

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

rjmccall posted:

The ball doesn’t have to be advanced tip first.

If you want to make the ball some sort of prism, you could put a microchip in every vertex.

It is mathematically trivial to calculate where the furthest-forward point of the ball is if the microchip has a simple orientation sensor, given that the microchip itself knows where it is installed in the ball.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Elon can design a microchipped ball that only catches fire two or three times a game

Nov 6, 2002

Using a measuring device with fixed material instead of chains might be a good place to start before we try to put ChatGPT into a football.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Papercut posted:

It is mathematically trivial to calculate where the furthest-forward point of the ball is if the microchip has a simple orientation sensor, given that the microchip itself knows where it is installed in the ball.

How do you know when the player is down?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hand Row posted:

more chips obviously, don't be a negative ninny

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
what the hell does that graphic mean, the bills can’t market themselves in Canada now? I know a ton of people who’ve gone there it’s right at the border what a weird omission.

e: I assume they’re trying to build the brand of teams that don’t already have followings? maybe?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hand Row posted:

Presumably something linked to when the ref blows the whistle, but yeah that's the more complicated part

Nov 6, 2002

Papercut posted:

Presumably something linked to when the ref blows the whistle, but yeah that's the more complicated part

And how does the ball know where it is on the field in relation to the line of scrimmage? Please don't say GPS.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The NHL on FOX glow puck technology is out there, waiting to be picked up and improved upon.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

By knowing where it’s not

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

And how does the ball know where it is on the field in relation to the line of scrimmage? Please don't say GPS.

Put a chip or whatever at LoS posts? That’s not Star Trek tech, that’s like wwii proximity fuses level

Nov 6, 2002

FYI there is already an RFID chip in the football.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2023/02/13/Technology/nfl-combine-zebra-technologies-rfid-chips.aspx

quote:

Zebra has also embedded an RFID chip into every football since 2017, which can help calculate a quarterback’s throwing velocity, initial airspeed, average airspeed, revolutions, spin rate and revolutions per minute

quote:

"RFID technology is excellent, but has limitations. Let me state it this way: an instrumented football has a location accuracy of sub six inches."

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
After review the ball sensor malfunctioned. By default the ruling on the field when this occurs is you get hosed despite a common sense solution existing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think there are *much* bigger fish to fry when it comes to officiating than spotting the ball, fwiw

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

ghosthorse posted:

what the hell does that graphic mean, the bills can’t market themselves in Canada now? I know a ton of people who’ve gone there it’s right at the border what a weird omission.

e: I assume they’re trying to build the brand of teams that don’t already have followings? maybe?

For Canada, all the teams chosen have borders with Canada so I don't think that's quite it unless they're trying to pitch the Seahawks to folks in Toronto/Calgary/Edmonton and the Vikings and Lions to B.C. Mexico is also mostly teams that are already popular there or in the Latinx community in the US.

Everything else is pretty baffling to me though. Poor Ireland though, doomed to Jets fandom for eternity.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Papercut posted:

I think there are *much* bigger fish to fry when it comes to officiating than spotting the ball, fwiw

Spotting the ball and operating the clock are like the most fundamental jobs of the refs, even before calling penalties

And they can't even do that right half the time

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Giving Nigeria the Browns looks like some complex long form slur.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It's weird that there are 7 teams missing

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Have they not suffered enough

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CharlestheHammer posted:

France getting the Saints is called synergy baby

Qui Que!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sharknado slashfic posted:

It's weird that there are 7 teams missing

The packers as a collective refuse to partake in this economic imperialism

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

The packers as a collective refuse to partake in this economic imperialism

The Packers already are the most popular NFL team in many countries, there's no real need to give them an extra push.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chargers spend all that time and effort animeing up their fanbase and they don't even get a piece of Japan? C'mon.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

you just need local positioning for this. perhaps a simple, ruggedized measuring device such as chains?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Every time we go through this, it turns out that the people complaining about chains think that the chain procedure relies on the dudes carrying out the chains running perfectly straight onto the field.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

2024 NFL Offseason - Ah poo poo we invented trains chains again

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

swickles posted:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1772300839471751495?t=3WPkBINGMMkPBsSIeF-3LA&s=19

I love that the Steelers are assigned to Northern Ireland and not the rest of the UK. The NFL is part of the Illuminati and knows the Irish Unification of 2024 is still a go.

I am a little surprised Steelers aren't also part of Korea still

Glad to know the upcoming saints season will get to feature actual frenchmen being tortured.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

indigi posted:

why do AUS/NZ get Eagles and Rams

and the Rams getting all of China while five teams split Switzerland lol what

Yeah that was the first thing that jumped out (after "wtf is this"). Sure let's give 2 entire continents including the most populous nation on earth to one team, and split Austria's 9 million people across like 1/4 of the league

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

According to reddit (lol) teams have to bid for the rights to the other countries which explains why some are missing. Also it appears that the Browns keep making odd financial decisions.