Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

VictualSquid posted:

So, apropos microstates.

I just noticed this image again. First day of the week.
And what is up with the Maldives?

Here's a question. Every paper calendar I've ever seen in my life starts on Sunday. Is this also the case in the UK or Australia? Or these other countries? (My partner is Very Into Stationery and has been looking for a Monday-start calendar, unsuccessfully, for YEARS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Same but Connecticut and Long Island

Same, but Ireland.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deaths due to COVID‑19 reported to the World Health Organization for the twenty‐eight‐day period ending with March tenth, 2024

Numbers here

Political loading: Morocco and Iran are the “Eastern Mediterranean”.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Here's a question. Every paper calendar I've ever seen in my life starts on Sunday. Is this also the case in the UK or Australia? Or these other countries? (My partner is Very Into Stationery and has been looking for a Monday-start calendar, unsuccessfully, for YEARS).

I don't know about the UK and Australia, but paper calendars in Switzerland - and probably most of Europe - start on Monday. The calendar on my computer also starts on Monday.

Like so:

is the calendar hanging on the wall in our kitchen.

Although honestly I couldn't care less? If the "week started on Wednesday" it would change like... zero things in my entire life. The weekend changing matters, but first day of the week is something that's only relevant on calendars, and even then barely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

I don't know about the UK and Australia, but paper calendars in Switzerland - and probably most of Europe - start on Monday. The calendar on my computer also starts on Monday.

Like so:

is the calendar hanging on the wall in our kitchen.

Although honestly I couldn't care less? If the "week started on Wednesday" it would change like... zero things in my entire life. The weekend changing matters, but first day of the week is something that's only relevant on calendars, and even then barely.
It's relevant for anything where you plan by week. Week 20 not actually being an entire work week but instead three days, then two days after the weekend, would be a mess.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Alomo Bitters

honestly gave it a good shot to get drunk off this stuff and it's just impossible to swallow

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's relevant for anything where you plan by week. Week 20 not actually being an entire work week but instead three days, then two days after the weekend, would be a mess.

Ehh, that's my life. We get paid on Friday, so the schedule starts on Saturday, but because it's a twenty four seven operation tons of people have their weekend in the middle of that. I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off for example. Not quite sure how it works for people on swing shifts that would start on Friday evening and then continue into early Saturday morning.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/monday-start-calendar/s?k=monday+start+calendar

I mean, you have to skip the sponsored ones, but it's not a years long quest

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Unreal_One posted:

https://www.amazon.com/monday-start-calendar/s?k=monday+start+calendar

I mean, you have to skip the sponsored ones, but it's not a years long quest

Now imagine you are a stationery nerd, any of that visually pleasing to you?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Now imagine you are a stationery nerd, any of that visually pleasing to you?

Just a calendar or a planner? My friend uses this one from Japan. It starts on Mondays and the quality is really nice. It's kind of expensive but a stationary nerd is probably used to expensive paper.

Amazon Link

Edit: That company has calendar's listed on Amazon, but they all start on Sunday.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It all comes down to what "weekend" means.

If "weekend" means "the end of the week" then the week should start on Monday and end on Sunday.

If "weekend" means "the ends" of the week then Sunday and Saturday are perfectly positioned at both ends of the week, like both ends of a rope.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah, I'm going with Garfield on this one. That cat doesn't work so clearly he doesn't dread first work day but has more of a metaphysical hatred about weeks start. Hence week's first day is Monday.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Swedes have this thing where they somehow instinctively know what week of the year it is always and say stuff like "Yeah we should meet for coffee, how are you in Week 22?"* And organize their schedule several weeks in advance.

*Except you know på svenska

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is that a thing some countries do? I can guess "week 20" must be something like early May, but I've literally never a single time heard someone use that terminology in Switzerland or the US. I don't even know how I'd figure out what week it currently is without counting from Jan 1st (or Googling). It's not numbered on either my digital or print calendar.

E: I see the Japanese calendar someone linked above mentions the week numbers. Probably some calendars in Europe and North America have this on it, but I've never heard anyone refer to or schedule anything for like "week 20 of 2024", either professionally or in private life. Work and financial stuff does quarterly, so Q1 Q2 I hear, monthly common for both personal and professional life, daily for both also. Trimesters I get for property taxes and nothing else. Never gotten anything by week, and definitely not by week number. You're Dutch right? I guess it's something very culturally specific even within Europe.

VVVV: Freaky. Do any other Europeans schedule stuff by week number?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 25, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, we do everything by the week. Outlook has week numbers in the calendar and settings for how to count the first week of the year (week including Jan 1, first full week of the year). I think it's very common across continental Europe

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
"What week is it now" is the single most common thing I google because tons of stuff is assigned like "to be ready by week 43"

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Saladman posted:

Is that a thing some countries do? I can guess "week 20" must be something like early May, but I've literally never a single time heard someone use that terminology in Switzerland or the US. I don't even know how I'd figure out what week it currently is without counting from Jan 1st (or Googling). It's not numbered on either my digital or print calendar.

VVVV: Freaky. Do any other Europeans schedule stuff by week number?
Professionally all the time. It makes it easy to schedule something in a certain week or two when it doesn't matter exactly when in that week or so. So you can simply say: "I have time in week 21 or 22" or "I'll be back in week 25" or "I'm on away in week 27, but after that is fine". Outlook can show the week numbers.

So the last few posts gave me the idea for making this map after not finding anything online. I don't guarantee 100% accuracy.
Guess the legend and the topic:

It's a multiple choice thingy, with the three choices corresponding to the colors red, green and blue.
Choosing multiple is then the color mix of those primary colors (so yellow, purple, cyan). Also since white (all three) would be invisible, I instead made that dark grey.
Light grey is no data or uncolorable by the site I created the map with.

Hint: Red is monthly.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 25, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, we do everything by the week. Outlook has week numbers in the calendar and settings for how to count the first week of the year (week including Jan 1, first full week of the year). I think it's very common across continental Europe

That explains why my old place used to do that, absolutely baffled me because I have never used outlook cos I was field, if all the office wankers were using it that might be why.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Weeks should be lettered, A-Z and then a-z

Or maybe Week A, Week a, Week B, Week b, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have never heard of this numbered week thing before and I am very glad I don't have to deal with it. I don't know how you'd figure out when week 23 or whatever is if there isn't a calendar marked that way. Count Sundays I guess?

I wonder how such a bizarre system got started instead of just using the date.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Week January 1st, Week October 3rd.

Also standardize to 10 day weeks, 3 weeks a month.
Extra 5-6 days at the end of a year are holy days and not part of any week.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You missed a word, but yes "week of March 24th" would be a normal thing to say.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DTurtle posted:

Professionally all the time. It makes it easy to schedule something in a certain week or two when it doesn't matter exactly when in that week or so. So you can simply say: "I have time in week 21 or 22" or "I'll be back in week 25" or "I'm on away in week 27, but after that is fine". Outlook can show the week numbers.

So the last few posts gave me the idea for making this map after not finding anything online. I don't guarantee 100% accuracy.

It's a multiple choice thingy, with the three choices corresponding to the colors red, green and blue.
Choosing multiple is then the color mix of those primary colors (so yellow, purple, cyan). Also since white (all three) would be invisible, I instead made that dark grey.
Light grey is no data or uncolorable by the site.

What are you showing there with the colors? Or you just mean as a general concept for how to make maps with overlapping choice options?

And on that thought, that would actually be an interesting map, what countries use weak numbers meaningfully. Might be hard to curate the data consistently. Switzerland I am 100% sure does not use week numbers in any part of the country for either personal or professional reasons, we just say like grand fromage mentions above. (Well, maybe like some industrial factories or whatever use it - but it’s very niche if it exists.)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
In the US military any officer would be used to using week numbers but I can't remember if they were based off of first week of the fiscal year or the normal first week of the year.

But we also used metric for a lot of things and a different date format.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know how you'd figure out when week 23 or whatever is if there isn't a calendar marked that way. Count Sundays I guess?

All calendars are marked with weeks in Finland and presumably you wouldn't ever be far from a calendar in a professional environment even before computers

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Ras Het posted:

All calendars are marked with weeks in Finland and presumably you wouldn't ever be far from a calendar in a professional environment even before computers

Depends on the work place. Week numbers are completely irrelevant to my work (Nurse), except our bosses use them always in their emails.
Everyone had to check wtf is week 13-14, because there's scheduling changes then.

Apparently it started just now. :shrug:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kiminewt posted:

Well, the more you know.

So American calendars look like this:

S M T W T F S?

Yes but nobody actually thinks of Sunday as the first day of the week, that’s just the weird calendar layout

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

smh if you havent known when week 7 or week 42 were since early childhood (danish school vacations, tho i think some psychos use week 8)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

kiminewt posted:

Well, the more you know.

So American calendars look like this:

S M T W T F S?

Su M T W T F Sa

But yes. Sunday ending the week sounds weird to me.

Glah posted:

Yeah, I'm going with Garfield on this one. That cat doesn't work so clearly he doesn't dread first work day but has more of a metaphysical hatred about weeks start. Hence week's first day is Monday.

Garfield hates Mondays because Jon’s not home and it makes Garfield sad but he’s too proud to admit it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Snowy posted:

Yes but nobody actually thinks of Sunday as the first day of the week, that’s just the weird calendar layout

I think of Sunday as its own special day, bathed in an aura of holiness, separate from the temporal week.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Su M T W T F Sa

But yes. Sunday ending the week sounds weird to me.

Thursday was always R on my school calenders.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Saladman posted:

What are you showing there with the colors? Or you just mean as a general concept for how to make maps with overlapping choice options?
Oh sorry, apparently it wasn't clear.

Indeed: Guess the legend.

Hint: Red is Monthly

It just came out by accident, that there are (mostly) just three choices, which fit nicely with the three primary colors.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 25, 2024

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Brawnfire posted:

Thursday was always R on my school calenders.

It was r in college for scheduling but everyone else it’s been Th

I forgot it and Tuesday

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Week numbers are on there, of course.

However, I've never used them. Good to have them on your calendar when you have to look them up, because some insane person uses them instead of dates…

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

FreudianSlippers posted:

Swedes have this thing where they somehow instinctively know what week of the year it is always and say stuff like "Yeah we should meet for coffee, how are you in Week 22?"* And organize their schedule several weeks in advance.

*Except you know på svenska

I can say that week numbers are extremely important in the Swedish military, and I wonder how much universal conscription has influenced its use in Swedish society.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Same but Connecticut and Long Island

Connecticut could take Rhode island, but if it tried to go south it wouldn't work out since New York could destroy it. Queens and Brooklyn on their own have more people than the entire state.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Sounds a bit complicated when you can just say "3rd week of March", "Second week of June" instead, but i guess you memorize those numbers from repeated use or calendars are there to remind you.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

distortion park posted:

Probably why USA gets a sub 90 score on the teardrop above (along with NZ, wtf?)

nz had a small town water contamination thing happen that infected 5000 people and killed 3, which set off a bunch of Dumb Political Bullshit and ultimately concluded "lol good luck with your water and sewerage in the future"

plus, yeah, lotta rural and poor places, i guess

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Greece was definitely the first "wrong" one I noticed.

Yep, their week starts in the middle of the weekend. That's why bodybuilders go to America, because they have an extra day to train every fortnight.

I want you to know that this was a great joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grand Fromage posted:

I have never heard of this numbered week thing before and I am very glad I don't have to deal with it. I don't know how you'd figure out when week 23 or whatever is if there isn't a calendar marked that way. Count Sundays I guess?

One of the reports at the company I work at uses week numbers, I think it's just so that year-to-year comparisons are standardised, like if you want to compare performance this week to performance last year, if this is week 13 you just pull up week 13 last year and week 13 the year before or week 13 five years ago and then you don't have the question of which week to use. For example this week is week commencing 25th March, so if you compare to 2021 is the correct week to compare in 2021 the week commencing the 21st (which contains the 25th March and is the fourth week in March like week commencing 25th March 2024) or the week commencing the 29th (which contains more weekdays that overlap the week commencing the 25th of March, and is also the last week in March like week commencing 25th March 2024 is).