Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

One free stratagem on each planet each week would be neat and encourage more random usage, yeah.

Super Earth News Channel posted:

Good news Helldivers! Voluntary overtime by the men, women and children of (planet1) and (planet2) have resulted in a surplus of (stratagem-random). All helldiver campaigns will have an additional use of (stratagem-random) for the next (duration). Managed Democracy wins again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Free exosuit week was an excellent time. I think free orbitals would be better than a free eagle because it's like a lil bonus without any downside, whereas a free eagle can gently caress you up if you don't use it.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I find bots more fun and more manageable than bugs now. The key is autocannon, EMS mortar, stun grenades, airstrike and slugger. You can handle pretty much anything with that setup. I hardly ever get clipped by rockets because I immediately prioritize rocket guys, and AC takes them out fast. One thing that probably takes some getting used to coming from bugs is always being either in cover, or aware of where the nearest cover is. Also never be afraid to go prone, it makes you much harder to hit. My deaths on bots are mostly from the jumppack guys, if you let them get up in your face there's little you can do to not get set on fire.

Can't wait until we get the illuminate and there's a whole new level of bullshit for people to complain about.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I actually read a snippet about the game somewhere which says when you do an objective, patrols start spawning in for you. So, do your poo poo, and move.

Also the (obvious) strategy of not getting into hold your ground stand up fights in one spot.

Played some bots today, adjusted my layout and strategy with friends, and had a much better time. Except rockets to the face, they always suck

Edit: scythe, apr, shield backpack, rocket tubes and a 500 lbs bomb make stuff nice.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 25, 2024

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

My deaths on bots are mostly from the jumppack guys, if you let them get up in your face there's little you can do to not get set on fire.
Take them down by the legs and they don't explode. Slugger one shots then just as well downstairs as to the chest.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sushibandit posted:

Bot rockets need to travel about 50% of their current velocity so you physically have the time to react to them being fired (assuming you see them). That's honestly the only change needed to keep them a challenging faction without having a commonly seen mechanic that makes shield backpack or anti-explosive armor practically mandatory.
If you have vision of the enemy and it's from a rocket devestator(#1 cause of rocket complaints), you already do have a chance to react and start sprinting sideways based on the animation they do before firing.
If it's a rocket trooper, they're made of paper and as soon as you can see an aggro'd one it should be getting shot.
If it's a brute hulk, you don't have a tell before rockets but honestly I think that's fair, those should be bad news to peek.

.Z. posted:

Who doesn't love it when you end up with an mission objective under the effects of a detector tower and a stratagem jammer, on top of being 1 stratagem down.
No strong opinion on -1 strat slot but I do like stratagem jammer/detector tower. I like having to sneak and/or rush into an enemy facility without aerial support to plant a bomb, it's fun.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Let me throw req slips into the “free stratagem” money pit. I appreciate that it’s not a turbo slog to get everything unlocked but it kind of sucks sitting on the req cap and having nothing to spend them on!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Let me throw req slips into the “free stratagem” money pit. I appreciate that it’s not a turbo slog to get everything unlocked but it kind of sucks sitting on the req cap and having nothing to spend them on!

I am guessing if/when they add gun customization (stratagem customization?) its going to cost a metric gently caress ton of req and samples for that.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The correct response to jetpack dudes is to dive to prone and/or shoot out their legs. Diving gives you the explosive damage reduction bonus of being prone, and gives you a bit of distance. Plus they only explode if you damage their jetpack.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing I'm running into is having way more rare samples than I do regular samples which is kinda funny.

Also some of the ship upgrade paths seem insanely weak compared to others.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fabricated posted:

The thing I'm running into is having way more rare samples than I do regular samples which is kinda funny.

Same :smith:

The difference between getting an extra 500kg bomb and a 10% reduction in deployment time for sentries is a bit absurd

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like things like the jammer and the eye of Sauron in the bot missions.

I do very much dislike the things which gently caress with your stratagems as a basic part of deploying on certain difficulties though. Maybe once the primary and secondary guns have all been made usable we can have that, but for right now I want my strats.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Away all Goats posted:

I do wish they made the freebie stratagem permanent. Having a jetpack + 2 turrets and still having EATs and an orbital was pretty fun.

A nice solution to the requisition points and samples being capped out and useless after you've unlocked everything would be to have some consumable option that unlocks a bonus stratagem for a temporary duration. You could make it not stack with any other sources of free stratagems like special events so that players have to pick only one to be their freebie for the mission, then there's no worries about balance ever shifting any further out of line than normal.

Roundboy posted:

I actually read a snippet about the game somewhere which says when you do an objective, patrols start spawning in for you. So, do your poo poo, and move.

People have done thorough testing and the activity of the objective you're working on doesn't really matter, there are just increased rates of patrol spawns based on how close you are to any objective (max within 50m and ending at beyond 150m). Completing the mission's primary objective basically quadruples the patrol spawn rate too though, so once evac is available you really ought to GTFO.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fabricated posted:

Sample economy is kind of backwards, if you're doing at least Hazard 7 missions frequently you'll quickly end up with more super and rare samples than you can ever spend. I'm coming up on Level 50 and have ~90 super samples, ~200 rare samples and I'm still farming up commons to buy the last few missing upgrades.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Am I the only one that doesn't really mind the Stratagem Negatives? Like sure get 3 things that gently caress orbitals on one planet sucks, so I don't bring any orbitals.

Even a double the time it takes to come in eagle is only like 8 seconds max and still like 4 seconds on some of the other stuff.

I guess I don't find it that big of deal, with the most annoying thing just being a supply drop taking 24 seconds.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Just played one of those 15 minute citizen evac missions against bugs and all of the civvies would just stand in front of the shuttle hangar. We tried everything, from blocking the pathing, through summary executions, to terraforming the terrain with 500kg bombs, all to no avail.

I don’t think we ever laughed as hard as we did playing this mission. I wish someone on my squad was recording the entire thing.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

The melee attack is a safe way to encourage them i've found

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't really mind the Stratagem Negatives? Like sure get 3 things that gently caress orbitals on one planet sucks, so I don't bring any orbitals.

Even a double the time it takes to come in eagle is only like 8 seconds max and still like 4 seconds on some of the other stuff.

I guess I don't find it that big of deal, with the most annoying thing just being a supply drop taking 24 seconds.

I don't mind them either. Also! It's war!

Sometimes poo poo will suck and you can't have more than three stratagems and your artillery misses and you can't see the map and yet you scrape through for Managed Democracy.

Overcoming adversity owns.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Vanguard Warden posted:

A .

People have done thorough testing and the activity of the objective you're working on doesn't really matter, there are just increased rates of patrol spawns based on how close you are to any objective (max within 50m and ending at beyond 150m). Completing the mission's primary objective basically quadruples the patrol spawn rate too though, so once evac is available you really ought to GTFO.

Regardless, the helldiver level mission I was just in saw two people on the team doing everything possible to get that artillery spawn up, dispute the 5 bile titans, dozens of bile ticks and even more chargers. So. Much ammo. When we could have just simply walked to another spot and come back

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah artillery is probably good for loving up teams if everyone doesn't try to finish that ASAP and move on. One or two people dicking around trying to load the gun and getting picky about which rounds to load while other people stand around can lead to a bad, bad time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was an extremely mean trick to put a death pond next to all the safely walkable water on one of the "upload data" terrain pieces. More than once I've had the SSD carrier throw themselves into it and die, making the SSD reset all the way across the map.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I had a pub group on bugs yesterday, had a really rough start and then a couple of them just chewed through the rest of our reinforcements just hanging out at a completed objective, I had to solo the rest of it pretty much, but we got out in the end. Hopefully people start realising that they actually need to focus on completing objectives instead of banging their heads against the bug wall as they get higher level.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sindai posted:

It was an extremely mean trick to put a death pond next to all the safely walkable water on one of the "upload data" terrain pieces. More than once I've had the SSD carrier throw themselves into it and die, making the SSD reset all the way across the map.

Actually surprised they reset it in this case, figured you would just be hosed.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah artillery is probably good for loving up teams if everyone doesn't try to finish that ASAP and move on. One or two people dicking around trying to load the gun and getting picky about which rounds to load while other people stand around can lead to a bad, bad time.

Yeah, and started to complain me loading static field to just get er done when they already loaded the bike and HE. If the reward for completing the objectives wasn't so high at that level I would not have stuck around

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

After coming out of regular 7 and 8 bug missions and working up to bot level 5, I’m getting my sea legs. It is different, and there are still some annoyances, yet I can’t help but wonder if the difficulties that other greenhorns are running into isn’t just a hesitance to substantially switch up their loadouts into configurations that are less than optimal against bugs.

I’ll freely admit that I searched Reddit for Bot loadouts, but after giving in to the top rec’d spec (breaker, shield backpack, laser cannon to delete the faces off medium-armored beefy mechs) it gave me enough breathing room to learn the new patterns without getting summarily creamed. Eg, the chainsaw runners are a bit tankier than most bugs but if you aim to split them apart at the waist, they’re quite manageable. And cover can actually be useful sometimes!

That said, I’ve been holding off on going into difficulties where the real rear end in a top hat heavies start to show up. I much prefer mad dash kiting bile titans to dodging sucker punch projectiles from fixed turrets. But eventually I’ll get there.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 26, 2024

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Instead of just having negative modifiers, weird cool interesting modifiers would be a great addition.
Low gravity (super jumps, no fall damage).
Extreme magnetic fields (weapon accuracy is super fucky outside of close range).
Reinforcepocalypse (automatic breech/drop every 20 seconds in the vicinity of the team no matter what else is happening).
Live fire exercise (random orbital strike drops near team every 20sec).
Spooky eclipse dark map and spawns ghost versions of enemies that move slowly but can't be damaged and can only be kited).
Etc.

LazyMaybe posted:

If you have vision of the enemy and it's from a rocket devestator(#1 cause of rocket complaints), you already do have a chance to react and start sprinting sideways based on the animation they do before firing.
If it's a rocket trooper, they're made of paper and as soon as you can see an aggro'd one it should be getting shot.
If it's a brute hulk, you don't have a tell before rockets but honestly I think that's fair, those should be bad news to peek.
Half the time you get blown up from offscreen/behind you so it's irrelevant, but the remaining 50% of the time there are a few common scenarios:
1) rocket from out of view range in low visibility environment = no time to react, mostly bad luck but the bots also cheat with rockets and have near perfect accuracy with them no matter the visibility
2) walk around a corner and see a trooper or devastator preaimed = no time to react
3) step out from behind a rock or tree or wall and see a trooper or devastator = usually time to react
4) see trooper or devastator in dropship or patrol = obviously time to react

Reducing the velocity of rockets would primarily help pull off a panic-dive in the first two scenarios. If rockets are going to practically be hitscan, why bother making them projectiles at all?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Sample economy is kind of backwards, if you're doing at least Hazard 7 missions frequently you'll quickly end up with more super and rare samples than you can ever spend. I'm coming up on Level 50 and have ~90 super samples, ~200 rare samples and I'm still farming up commons to buy the last few missing upgrades.

It just means when you're done farming the hard poo poo on max difficulties you can relax and play around in chill maps while Greens never become outright worthless. It's cool.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

The basic marksman rifle is pretty good against bots too, feels great shooting all the regular bots in the head from way off. Uzi pistol for the chainsaw guys, though they're still a bit annoying when a big clump comes at you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, after the last man standing evacuated on the shuttle after a civilian extract, we fell at the bug nests hunting eggs for the final impossible mission to unlock Helldive. We spent most of it screaming underneath four bile titans

You win again, communism

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Roundboy posted:

Regardless, the helldiver level mission I was just in saw two people on the team doing everything possible to get that artillery spawn up, dispute the 5 bile titans, dozens of bile ticks and even more chargers. So. Much ammo. When we could have just simply walked to another spot and come back

Artillery sites are always a pain because it takes a really long time on-site to find and fetch all the shells, even more so if people are being picky about trying to find all the good ones to load rather than jamming smokes in there. Regardless, if you get 5 bile titans on you while working on it then you probably either took way too long working on it or already had a swarm on your rear end when you arrived at the site. You also probably aren't eliminating threats efficiently enough, because 5 bile titans is AT LEAST 3 bug breaches, and those are on a global cooldown timer of several minutes before they can happen again.

When I run bug helldives, whether solo or in groups, the process of doing an objective location is first to kill all the static bugs initially at the objective as rapidly as possible from as long-range as possible to avoid triggering a breach (the arc thrower is decent at this and breaches don't seem to trigger if you're far enough away), and then working on the objective itself with no bugs present. If I'm not fast enough then patrols that spawn in the distance while I'm working will march toward the site (I check the radar regularly to spot them) and I'll have to either handle them the same way I did the static bugs initially at the objective or deal with a breach on top of the patrol itself. In the case of a breach there's usually a bile titan, and that gets responded to with an immediate 500kg bomb (or two) and either stun grenades or baiting a bile spray to keep the titan from moving out of the blast zone. The 500kg bombs are especially nice compared to other options because they'll clear out other bugs in the area at the same time, including chargers. If a group lets bile titans start to stack up in number beyond just one or two, then they're just not bothering to kill things even when they're following them around the map. "Hit da bricks" only works if you lose the poo poo chasing you first, and bile titans are really good at tracking (probably because they're both really fast and just walk over everything).

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Scout armor feels pretty great. While my team is futzing around, I can easily take out objectives in Solid Snake mode. The reduced detection range is extremely helpful, and enemies will aggro to your pals a lot of the time over you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Ironblood posted:

Scout armor feels pretty great. While my team is futzing around, I can easily take out objectives in Solid Snake mode. The reduced detection range is extremely helpful, and enemies will aggro to your pals a lot of the time over you.

Even though acid one-shots me I can't take my 55 armor ultralight off. Everything else is just too drat slow

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tried to run Medium engineer armor last night. What folly!!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sushibandit posted:

Reducing the velocity of rockets would primarily help pull off a panic-dive in the first two scenarios. If rockets are going to practically be hitscan, why bother making them projectiles at all?
they aren't "practically hitscan", anywhere other than right up close sprinting perpendicular to them makes the rockets miss. and devestators do not "preaim". if a devastator is shooting rockets at you right as you round a corner, that means you previously exposed yourself to its LoS for it to start the firing animation, entered cover, then exited cover again at a bad time. or it's shooting at a teammate and you're in the line of fire.
the latter is harder to predict, but both are things you mitigate with situational awareness.

I know this is an annoying sort of reply but exaggerating these kinds of things just makes it more unclear.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

they aren't "practically hitscan", anywhere other than right up close sprinting perpendicular to them makes the rockets miss. and devestators do not "preaim". if a devastator is shooting rockets at you right as you round a corner, that means you previously exposed yourself to its LoS for it to start the firing animation, entered cover, then exited cover again at a bad time. or it's shooting at a teammate and you're in the line of fire.
the latter is harder to predict, but both are things you mitigate with situational awareness.

I know this is an annoying sort of reply but exaggerating these kinds of things just makes it more unclear.

Nah, he's right. Rockets are busted a bit. At minimum they are unfun to get hit and if you survive you're now motion-locked as your body ragdolls or skids across the field/wall/ ground. As hilarious as it always is, it does open you up to immediate fire and possibly another volley from the initial devastator or follow up from rocket grunts.

I've also gotten domed with very slight exposure from behind a wall, with a ramp and still got 1hko'd. It was extremely surprising and meh.

The game is good and fun and war is hell and all but there does seem to be jank. Luckily the game can brush it off and still be beautiful like how fall damage applies to shriekers even 1-shoting bile titans when they crash into them. just :discourse:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

The basic marksman rifle is pretty good against bots too, feels great shooting all the regular bots in the head from way off. Uzi pistol for the chainsaw guys, though they're still a bit annoying when a big clump comes at you.

My marksman/AMR enjoyment is double cursed because bots are the enemy that they are actually okay against, but are also the enemy able to flinch spam you with damage from long range constantly if you are not being entirely ignored.

So the enemy you want to land quick headshots against, is the enemy who can just reach out and slap your crosshair to the side most often :sigh:

Flinching is more frustrating than rockets to me at this point, especially because a lot of rocket deaths would have been prevented if you are allowed to loving shoot in a straight line. Can't even trust terrain without an enemy no-clipping over a wall to shoot you faster instead of pathing around :argh: Shields only last so long even if you bring those.

Also I respect all rocket hatred as long as they agree Darksouls 2 acid hitboxes are worse. The ones I think are crazy are the people who post online somewhere about how rockets are aimbot bullshit (True!), then go back to declaring anyone hit by a mortar bug that spawned behind a hill and landed a psychic-no scope kill is "Skill issues, learn to have situational awareness."

A rocket can have a near miss past my head when I am crouch strafing, letting me survive a LOT of near misses across a mission between all of the bullshit "Rocket trooper was hiding behind a small box with a finger on the trigger after you killed the other 5 rocket troopers". Even the most basic acid spit will decide diving behind a rock and uselessly splashing past you a second later is still a killshot.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 26, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Amazing Member posted:

Nah, he's right. Rockets are busted a bit. At minimum they are unfun to get hit and if you survive you're now motion-locked as your body ragdolls or skids across the field/wall/ ground. As hilarious as it always is, it does open you up to immediate fire and possibly another volley from the initial devastator or follow up from rocket grunts.

I've also gotten domed with very slight exposure from behind a wall, with a ramp and still got 1hko'd. It was extremely surprising and meh.
None of this contradicts anything that I said in my post

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Retreat order for Omicron? Like hell some loving bug is gonna live on my planet of the day

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

BadLlama posted:

My issue is that the operational stratagem negatives is they lack counterplay and are basically time wasters. I get what Arrowhead was going for with them trying to make an intense fight all the more frantic, but I think it's mostly bad design. The game is designed around stratagem use and those modifiers basically tell the player if you pick this planet you get:
1. -1 Strat slot - Lose one of your fun toys, lose 25% of your operational effectiveness, and know you will have to take longer to complete the mission because of that.
2. +50%/+100% Call in time - Your mission is going to take longer to complete, just because.
3. Random Call In (Which is thankfully disabled) - Your mission is going to take longer to complete because everyone is going to be standing around for who knows how long spamming the lowest input stratagem command until they get the one they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Stun grenade/flamethrower is a ridiculous combination. Especially +2 armor