Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i need to know the series of events that leads to a very online right wing weirdo becoming a wrestling heel in uganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Might just a "worker"

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What I'm saying here, and to be clear I will never click the tweet, is that the pro wrestling heel's bad opinions might be a "work"

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Beeswax posted:

What I'm saying here, and to be clear I will never click the tweet, is that the pro wrestling heel's bad opinions might be a "work"

There's "working as a heel" and then there's "being proud of being on the twitter transphobes list" and freely using the hard r in tweets, in addition to all the other slurs you'd expect that type of person to casually drop, and he's been doing it before SGW Uganda existed.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i would not presume Ugandan wrestlers to have particularly enlightened views wrt LGTB+

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Trying posted:

i would not presume Ugandan wrestlers to have particularly enlightened views wrt LGTB+

grain of salt and all that of course, but:

https://dailyddt.com/posts/exclusive-q-a-with-soft-ground-wrestling-founder-bumbash-daniel-uganda-s-first-all-inclusive-pro-wrestling-brand

quote:

Likewise circling back to my earlier question on inclusivity; wrestling in the United States has seen members of the LGBTQIA+ community such as Nyla Rose and Anthony Bowens become champions on National TV. However, Uganda passed the Anti-Homosexuality Act last year, are you one to challenge the rule and does it have an impact on what you want for SGW?

Everyone has a right to live their life the way they want. As SGW, we are a non-discriminative organization that only focuses on talent development rather than one’s gender, sexuality, or whatever they choose to embrace.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Trying posted:

Yeah, this was going to happen eventually. Uganda is notoriously a notoriously bad place to be any sort of LGBT person. Now to see if this causes them to pivot into being an “anti-woke” promotion.

EDIT: hadn’t seen this, seems encouraging:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eat This Glob posted:

the guy who calls people "cosmically impotent" because they can't blow up the moon will not be flummoxed nor captivated by cheap parlor tricks

Prestige type situation where Bryan becomes obsessed with unlocking the mysteries of magic after seeing Nigel's act, perfecting shamanistic powers that eat away at his health with every spell cast, till Nigel goes,"....so yeah I just palmed the card, Lloyd... :stare:"

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Jerusalem posted:

Prestige type situation where Bryan becomes obsessed with unlocking the mysteries of magic after seeing Nigel's act, perfecting shamanistic powers that eat away at his health with every spell cast, till Nigel goes,"....so yeah I just palmed the card, Lloyd... :stare:"

Bryan Danielson goes to the Congo wrestling groups and learns to turn his opponents into chickens.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Looks like people have found "Lord White's" personal Twitter (@saint_alecz), and unsurprisingly he's just another dipshit edgelord racist/homophobe/transphobe gamergate loser.

There comes a point where you have to ask yourself whether the information you're choosing to share with other people is particularly useful or helpful in the grand scheme of things and whether or not we need to know so much about the lives of others and in my humble opinion "The top heel of the Ugandan backyard wrestling company staffed by orphans is not a very progressive person" feels like the line.

Edit: Like, obviously, those are some vile tweets. I'm not disputing that. gently caress all that. But there's so much context to consider here culturally that there comes a point where it feels like tilting at windmills.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 25, 2024

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i don’t know that anybody here wants to examine the implicit assumption that talking about wrestling on the internet is of any value at all too deeply

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Oil! posted:

Bryan Danielson goes to the Congo wrestling groups and learns to turn his opponents into chickens.

This just made me think how much I want to see Danielson vs KENOH.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lamuella posted:

This just made me think how much I want to see Danielson vs KENOH.

Bryan cutting one of his "I'm furious!" promos only for Kenoh to turn him into Linda Hamilton's nightmare from Terminator 2 in his response.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There comes a point where you have to ask yourself whether the information you're choosing to share with other people is particularly useful or helpful in the grand scheme of things and whether or not we need to know so much about the lives of others and in my humble opinion "The top heel of the Ugandan backyard wrestling company staffed by orphans is not a very progressive person" feels like the line.

Edit: Like, obviously, those are some vile tweets. I'm not disputing that. gently caress all that. But there's so much context to consider here culturally that there comes a point where it feels like tilting at windmills.

The deep cultural context of white people in Africa being rotten, lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Well, Yeah

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Isn't it helpful to know this person currently being celebrated on the internet by wrestling fans is actually as vile as his gimmick? The Ugandan scene is still in its infancy, culling the rot early can only be a good thing lest the future of Ugandan wrestling, too, becomes endless beating around the bush about the vile people involved.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Even if that guy's tweets aren't a work, at the very least he's willing to get his rear end kicked on camera and be the cowardly heel who loses and runs away in the end

I feel like anyone who is turbo racist wouldn't agree to be seen getting beat up by non white people and it doesn't seem like this promotion has a ton of money to pay the guy off to do that

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Your line isn't my line.

I care about wrestling a whole gently caress less than I care about not letting massive pieces of poo poo get platformed and popular.

And what loving context is there to consider? You know what's going to make people a lot less interested in the underdog Ugandan promotion? Trotting out the dipshit playing a colonizer gimmick who's openly and gleefully racist and phobic and has been for years. His literal response to someone pointing out that he's racist was to post a stonetoss comic, and that was today.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Isn't it helpful to know this person currently being celebrated on the internet by wrestling fans is actually as vile as his gimmick? The Ugandan scene is still in its infancy, culling the rot early can only be a good thing lest the future of Ugandan wrestling, too, becomes endless beating around the bush about the vile people involved.

Honestly, a fair point. I wasn't really thinking of the big picture when posting. Sorry for coming off as though I was flippant about the things he was posting - they're certainly abhorrent but in my mind it was like "well, this is another backyard wrestler saying the usual online trash I see every day, which sucks, but it's not like he has much of a platform or power". But, like, that's short-sighted when considering it's part of a wrestling scene in its infancy. My apologies.

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Your line isn't my line.

I care about wrestling a whole gently caress less than I care about not letting massive pieces of poo poo get platformed and popular.

And what loving context is there to consider? You know what's going to make people a lot less interested in the underdog Ugandan promotion? Trotting out the dipshit playing a colonizer gimmick who's openly and gleefully racist and phobic and has been for years. His literal response to someone pointing out that he's racist was to post a stonetoss comic, and that was today.

Absolutely. Again, I wasn't really thinking ahead enough. Sorry about that and I appreciate the response. poo poo's gross!

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Ugh this is the pizza guy all over again

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
who cares

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Ugh this is the pizza guy all over again

Wow so Lord White is innocent.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Didn’t it turn out the pizza guy was some crazed anti vax guy? Did I miss a story?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If we don’t hold someone like Lord White accountable then, hell, who will?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Didn’t it turn out the pizza guy was some crazed anti vax guy? Did I miss a story?

It turned out this was not true.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Manwithastick posted:

no, there were rumors as such based on tangential evidence but nothing concrete ever emerged

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

no, there were rumors as such based on tangential evidence but nothing concrete ever emerged

And it was denied by people actually in the know.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone ask his coworkers if they condemn Lord White yet?

I only ask because I think it would be very funny

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Manwithastick posted:

100% of the "evidence" was him not answering a question about it on a Reddit AMA

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

:gas:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

100% of the "evidence" was him not answering a question about it on a Reddit AMA

Seem conclusive someone should do something about this guy

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/ramkaichow/status/1772289072670617660

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Beeswax posted:

nah he just sucks.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I think they hired Lord White because of who he is

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Beeswax posted:

This is always the most tedious response to this sort of thing, as if this wouldn't be incredibly lovely heel work if it was deliberate.

Like c'mon, we can distinguish between heel heat and "go away" heat, I think we can push the boat out and split out "just actually a piece of poo poo" heat too

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

the real way to live the gimmick in 2024 is for your personal profile to be way more racist than your in character profile

the marks just can't keep up

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/Justin_SofOK/status/1766673020683252105

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/thejohnnyblast/status/1772474284465651982

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Who was "the pizza guy"? That sounds like too stupid a story to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Who was "the pizza guy"? That sounds like too stupid a story to pass up.

Luigi Primo

Anyway,
https://twitter.com/OBEYBrookes/status/1771750323595473150

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 26, 2024