Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

rotinaj posted:

OP just has a really lovely magic the gathering deck and is salty that she keeps losing, her five-color setup is totally gonna work any day now

flashbacks to my absolutely rear end rainbow sliver deck in highschool i think that fucker had like 130+ cards in it because i was even stupider then than i am now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean if he’d gone and done his searching and then she finally sees her phone or whatever and decides to answer back, before she actually lied. It’s a bad look if you’re going straight to detective mode.

She lied twice before she even left the house, first with "K told me she had to work this day so I was tasked with all the planning," which is blatantly not the case even in your scenario. The second lie "I asked her whats the deal and she says she turned it off for safety concerns since she didnt want everyone seeing it all the time anymore," was slightly fuzzier, but it's obvious that she was lying and the real reason was that she was doing something she wanted to hide from him. When someone is telling you multiple lies and changes something that would give away the lie and tries to downplay it, there's a pretty good reason to be suspicious.

It's a bad look to be lying to and cheating on your partner, not being the person who realized something was off and spotted the bad look. I can't see how someone other than a person into that kind of deception themselves (and thus doesn't like the idea of getting caught) or a doormat (so thinks confronting a partner is bad, even if you're right) would think what that guy did gives a 'bad look', Columbo clearly had a lot of clues.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dan Savage, may he rest in peace, had at least one good take, which is that snooping is wrong unless you find something, in which case you were right to follow your instincts. You have to fess up either way, but if they make a bigger deal out of the snooping than the cheating, they kinda ended the relationship for you right there.

This is literally what happened in my buddy’s ongoing journey of finding out his partner wasn’t being faithful. Several conversations to get her to understand that in no way would he ever feel guilty for looking considering what he found, it just won’t ever happen, stop bringing it up. Yeah; they’re getting divorced.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

selec posted:

Dan Savage, may he rest in peace, had at least one good take, which is that snooping is wrong unless you find something, in which case you were right to follow your instincts. You have to fess up either way, but if they make a bigger deal out of the snooping than the cheating, they kinda ended the relationship for you right there.

This is literally what happened in my buddy’s ongoing journey of finding out his partner wasn’t being faithful. Several conversations to get her to understand that in no way would he ever feel guilty for looking considering what he found, it just won’t ever happen, stop bringing it up. Yeah; they’re getting divorced.

:hmmyes:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The corollary is if you genuinely feel the need to snoop then trust is gone. Either end it or fix it, don't just keep going

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for yelling at my son for "not trusting us"

DTA - DON'T TRUST ANYBODY

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

selec posted:

Dan Savage died?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dan Savage died?

yeah wtf?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dan Savage died?

Yeah he's dead... serious about going to Itchy and Scratchy Land

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Speaking of updates, here's another one.

AITAH for forcing my fiancé into cutting off his late wife’s family? UPDATE 2
Unknown substance in the engine oil
Any car experts out there who can speculate on this? Could this cause the engine to catch on fire, unexpectedly die at speed, or some other catastrophic failure that risks serious physical harm?

I'm not much of a car guy so my dumb layman's brain immediately read this and went "wait, is this attempted murder"...and even more given the later "imagine what we can do to a person" statement.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

MagusofStars posted:

Any car experts out there who can speculate on this? Could this cause the engine to catch on fire, unexpectedly die at speed, or some other catastrophic failure that risks serious physical harm?

I'm not much of a car guy so my dumb layman's brain immediately read this and went "wait, is this attempted murder"...and even more given the later "imagine what we can do to a person" statement.

Lots of things you could add to oil and pretty much all of them are going to make the engine not work in some catastrophic way. Attempted murder would probably be a stretch, but like if your engine throws a rod you're going to have a sad time.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

MagusofStars posted:

Adding an abrasive to engine oil could certainly wreck it, possibly causing it to lock up at an inopportune time.

It's not likely to kill you tho I guess it could.

E:f,b

Blitter fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 26, 2024

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

MagusofStars posted:

Contaminated oil can cause effects like that, but more often you'll start getting serious issues well before that point that make the car undrivable without being an immediate safety concern.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Any catastrophic failure of an engine can be deadly if it occurs at highway speed.

But there's any number of mystery liquids put into oil that render it unsafe even after a flush, and there's no guarantee that the sisters wouldn't lie through their teeth about what they put into it (and that's before the actual death threats happened)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I hear it’s how Dan Savage died.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Cythereal posted:

I recently found out my ex-fiancé [28 M] of 5 years is terminally ill. Is it inappropriate for me [28 F] to go see him?

But how do I make it about meeeeeeee?

drat girl haven't you done enough?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My guess, lacking any evidence but given the rest of the vandalism, is just that they pissed in it or something. Which isn't *good* but none of the rest of it suggests "premeditated sabotage" like finsing just the right engine additive would.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My granddad put the wrong oil in his car right before he died, which eventually bricked it so hard that it was unrecoverable. This was not on purpose, but it's shocking how much you can wreck a car with oil crap.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Were there any downsides to this policy?

Like Baronjutter already said, only for people who didn't like women having control over their own lives. Social conservatives generally were not much of a thing for the first couple decades, as the Soviet government made it a policy to suppress the Orthodox Church which was the wellspring of much of those attitudes in the old empire, and many had fallen out on the wrong side of the civil war and gotten themselves killed during it, or exiled/purged in its aftermath.

Sadly, a fair amount of patriarchal bullshit came back in with Stalin and his various cronies, though women did retain a remarkable level of civil equality in principle if not always practice.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Does anybody actually call off weddings immediately before they're scheduled (barring something pretty bad)? Just do the ceremony and annul that poo poo, goddamn. You aren't getting out of paying the caterer.

My brother called off his wedding 2 weeks before it. It was pretty big event from what I remember, lots of family coming in from out of town, not many refunds, etc. His fiancé dodged that bullet. Her parents and our parents were pissed. I think it would have been way weirder to go thru with the charade and then annul it.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

flashbacks to my absolutely rear end rainbow sliver deck in highschool i think that fucker had like 130+ cards in it because i was even stupider then than i am now

AITA for running 4x Alluren [2G] on my [14M] Sliver deck [5C]? None of my friends want to play with me anymore :(

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Vim Fuego posted:

The corollary is if you genuinely feel the need to snoop then trust is gone. Either end it or fix it, don't just keep going

Yeah, I'm old so I would say break up at the point that you feel the need to know your partner's location at all times. Although he was right to check - it ain't paranoia if they're actually out to get you.

Did anyone catch the discourse that happened with sharing your location on Love is Blind this season? A lot of internet detectives think Jeramey [sic] was so confident about lying about his location mid-cheating because he left his phone in his car and didn't realize his Apple Watch location was being broadcast instead.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Traditionally the stereotypical thing to put in a car's gas/oil to destroy the engine is sugar (which doesn't do anything special, but will physically gently caress things up as much as any other large granular contaminant would.) I don't know if this bit of received wisdom is still circulating among kids their age or if it's just something us olds remember these days.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always go with the old banana in the tailpipe. Total destruction.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
In my day we put a banana in the tailpipe.

EDIT: Goddamnit

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I recently found out my ex-fiancé [28 M] of 5 years is terminally ill. Is it inappropriate for me [28 F] to go see him?

Sis needs to make sure she flies out, then tell Fred that she was never over the first guy and went to announce her undying love. Embrace chaos

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

In my day we put a banana in the tailpipe.

EDIT: Goddamnit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orH6ZSY0W1o

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I think I'd go with a banana in the tailpipe. Has anyone heard of this?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
There was an early YouTuber in the Atheist scene who used a banana in the tailpipe to great effect.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

Traditionally the stereotypical thing to put in a car's gas/oil to destroy the engine is sugar (which doesn't do anything special, but will physically gently caress things up as much as any other large granular contaminant would.) I don't know if this bit of received wisdom is still circulating among kids their age or if it's just something us olds remember these days.

Start with The Monkey Wrench Gang and then read the rest of Edward Abbey. Then maybe you can still find some of the George Hayduke books somewhere. They explicitly describe how to render and engine inoperable.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Back in my day it was a potato in the exhaust pipe! :okboomer:

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

drat girl haven't you done enough?

Imagine this guy lying on his deathbed, surrounded by people he loves, and right before he takes his last breath SHE pushes aside his parents and girlfriend, looms in to fill up his entire shrinking field of vision, and he dies, his last moment on Earth absolutely ruined by this selfish idiot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just read how_to_send_a_car_to_HELL.txt, which you got in the same zip as the Anarchist’s Cookbook

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 26, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Sugar will melt and carbonise, getting into places it shouldn’t and adhering to them in a way that, say, salt or sand wouldn’t.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITAH - My ex-fiancee tried to get my wife to cheat on me

quote:

I think my ex-fiancee Jess (31F) might have tried to get my wife Olivia (30F) drunk and cheat on me. My wife thinks I am overreacting and overthinking the whole situation. Can someone tell me if I would be an rear end in a top hat to ask Olivia to stop being friends with Jess immediately?

For context, Jess and I started dating during the sophomore year of our college. We met through mutual friends and connected instantly. She was charming and outgoing and made friends instantly everywhere she went. I am more shy and nerdy, but I enjoyed going out to parties with her. We got engaged on our graduation day as both our families were attending. I got a job in a big tech company right after college and Jess moved in with me while looking for jobs.

That is when the relationship started going downhill. Jess was an art major and had trouble finding a stable job. She did a bunch of freelance work and mostly worked from home. I was overwhelmed with work. She always wanted to go out to bars and clubs and I wanted to rest in the evening after 10-12 hours of work. I was ok with her going out with friends alone, and I would sometimes tag along on the weekend.

It bothered me that she was still in her party girl phase. She complained that I was becoming boring and should enjoy my early 20s before we settled down. I was also not happy with the friends she hung out with, as there was a lot of drinking and drug use. Even when I went out with her friends, she would be extremely flirty with guys in her friend's group. Her excuse was always that she gets flirty when she is drunk or she was just joking. I had enough and decided to call off the engagement after 2 years as we were just different people at that point. The breakup was messy and she kept trying to get back with me for almost a year. There were some incidences where Jess may not have acted in her best judgment, and I blocked her from all my social media. I did not want to deal with the drama and wanted to move on. I also got a transfer to another town around that time and never heard from Jess again.

This is when I started dating my wife, Olivia. My wife was the exact opposite of Jess. She was very soft-spoken and a homebody like me. She knew I was engaged before. We dated for 3 years and happily married for 2 years now. However, one of the sticking points we always had was my Thursday nights. 3 of my closest college friends are now scattered all across the country and we generally play a video game together on Thursday evenings since our college days. Olivia complained that she gets bored during that time.

About 6 months ago, Olvia told me she got a Facebook invite for a group where they had painting and wine nights on Thursdays. It was mostly 8-10 women who got together at someone's house and spent the evening painting, drinking wine and gossiping. According to Olivia, it was just a few housewives and divorcees and they welcomed her. One of the women's name was Jess, but I did not think much of it.

Two weeks ago, Olivia told me it was Jess's birthday and they wanted to a ladies' night at a club. Olivia hates loud music, but Jess convinced her to come for dinner and some drinks. On that night, I got a call from Olvia at 10 pm asking me if I could come and pick her up. I could tell something was wrong and immediately left to pick her up. I went to the bar and went in to pick up Olivia. I was shocked when I realized that her friend Jess was my ex-fiancee. She also looked surprised to see me there. I was polite and said hello to everyone, but Olivia wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

After we went in the car, I told Olivia that Jess was my ex-fiancee whom I had not seen for almost 7 years. Olivia was shocked to hear it and she did not know about it. It was crazy since I did not even know she lived in the same city as us. Olivia told me Jess was the one who had started the painting group. She had divorced her husband 2 years ago and moved to our city for a fresh start. The reason why she called me was because she was getting uncomfortable with the situation at the bar. Since Jess and one of the other women were single, they kept on encouraging guys hitting on them and inviting them over to their table. Jess was trying to get everyone drunk and was asking Olivia to open up and have fun. She was constantly hyping up Olivia to two of the guys who bought them a round of drinks. At this point, Olivia excused herself to go to the restroom and called me to pick her up.

I am not happy with the situation, but I am also not mad at Olivia. I am just uncomfortable with Olivia hanging out with Jess. I told Olivia about the same. Olivia told me that she was never going to put herself in the same situation again with Jess or anyone else. Also, this friends group is the only real social life she has since we both are in a completely new city. She does not want to stop going to her painting nights with her friends. I brought up the thought that Jess could be acting in malice, but Olivia told me she did not think Jess would know I was her husband as Olivia never showed my picture to anyone in the group. She also said that it's been 7 years since we broke up. Jess is a kind person and I should not judge her based on one night when she was drunk. She still wants to stay friends with Jess.

On one hand, I do not want to separate Olivia from her friends. But, my gut feeling is telling me something is off in this situation. Besides, it feels weird to have my ex be friends with my wife. Am I the rear end in a top hat to want Olivia to stop being friends with Jess because of my gut feeling? Or, should I just let it go as it's Olivia's call to make?

Comments:

quote:

Jesus.. I never even considered the possibility that Jess might be planning to spike my wife's drink that night. It might be lucky for my wife to call me and be there before something bad happened.

Olivia has taken my last name after our wedding. I also think that the chances of Jess knowing about Olivia and me are extremely high. She denied in the bar though that she knew I was her husband.

Jess is the one who started the group, so cannot rule out that Jess sent it to her. My wife also has all our wedding and vacation photos shared on facebook, so if Jess sent it, she has to know I was her husband

Get this guy a book deal!

"So my ex-fiancee stalked me through social media, moved to the town where my wife and I were, started a wine and paint group targetting my wife to get her in a bar piled with drinks to cheat on me!" I don't know how the book would end but I'm sure it'd sell millions.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not leaving BF at my home alone because he opened Ferrari after being told no?

quote:

I'm currently renovating a house I bought, so while it's under construction my parents said I could stay in their vacant beach home. My dad keeps a rare Ferrari in the garage that is never driven.

I've been dating BF for 3 months, but the first time he came over, he made a big deal of the car and asked if he could see the inside (like open the door). I said no, it's not mine. He asked again, and started teasing me like trying the door handle--and it opened.

I said he was being out of line because I'm staying at this house on my family's kindness, and didn't need the car to have an alarm go off or something. I told my sister about it, and she said he seems like bad news.

My parents already do not like him because my dad said the first time he came over to the house, he got a video doorbell notification, and BF looked like he was taking a video with his phone of the entryway.

My dad keeps business records stacked in boxes in the basement that I also specifically said not to look through when he seemed curious because again, it's not my home and it's just disrespectful, and he again teased me about looking at stuff. He asked why I was so "suspicious" about him looking around the home, and I repeated again it's not my stuff and just no.

So today, 3 months in, he asks for a key or the keypad code so he can lock up because I have to leave early in the morning. I'm uncomfortable with this because of the other stuff, but he made me feel guilty saying, "You act like you don't trust me."

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

BF is a shithead obviously but what the gently caress is the point of having a nice car that’s “never driven”? I get reserving it for special occasions or Sunday drives or whatever but literally just letting it sit in a garage forever? poo poo, I’m not even a Car Guy and that still seems like a terrible waste lmao

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Okay so boyfriend is being a dick not respecting boundaries, but dad is also hella weird. Who gets a collector car and never takes it out or touches it? Like what's the point? That's as bad as the people that collect Beanie Babies and don't let their kids play with em. Enjoy the things you collect, otherwise it's just a waste.

Anyway I have a bone to pick with y'all goons wondering why people without kids/assets/etc get legally married. Don't forget a lot of us have lovely families and if a spouse is in the hospital they could legally and easily lock us out of making medical decisions. This is rampant with LGBT people especially-- and I really don't want either my lovely family or my husband's lovely family to do something like this if one of us gets hurt or something. We got married so we're each other's next-of-kin. That's insanely important these days.

E: having an expensive car and never using it really is a terrible waste. My neighbor has several rare vehicles and drives them often. Sometimes I get to borrow one and show up to dinner in a wildly rare Porche, or do things like drive the 15-of-50 Land Rover Anniversary Edition to work. They're meant to be fun. Like sell it to someone that will drive it, my dude.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 26, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Assuming it's rare enough to actually be growing in value, the Ferrari might appreciate more or command more money if say it's at 980mi and driving it more would roll it over 4 digits. It's a weird market, so it is understandable (not rational) if the dad is trying to get 550k out of the car instead of 500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously if that happens you could try jacking it up and running it in reverse for a while (just be careful not to knock it off the jack)