Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I love this game. Been playing it loads the last few days and grinded my way up to level 15 or so and difficulty level 7 I think. The one below helldiver.

Why does everyone like the scythe so much? I don't get it. I love that auto shotgun, it's far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

.Z. posted:

2. +50%/+100% Call in time - Your mission is going to take longer to complete, just because.
Increased cooldown time is much less interesting than increased calldown time IMO-you may change your loadout based on worse calldown time, or simply play differently in the moment(throwing 500kgs farther ahead of titans, using stuns to line things up), but cooldown time mostly just means more time spent not doing what you want.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I love this game. Been playing it loads the last few days and grinded my way up to level 15 or so and difficulty level 7 I think. The one below helldiver.

Why does everyone like the scythe so much? I don't get it. I love that auto shotgun, it's far better.
They don't, they like the sickle.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
My bad..still learning the differences. Which ones the sickle?

Griz
May 21, 2001

the one from the Cutting Edge warbond, it's basically the default liberator except it has a slight spin-up delay and 100 round mags of ammo that regenerates if you stop firing for a bit

the scythe on the free warbond is one of the worst guns in the game

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Do requisition points do anything after you buy all the upgrades, or do they just accumulate?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, I hadn't done bots in a while and did they get tuned up or something?

Just doing objectives I've had *12+* loving dropships show up in groups of 3 at a loving time! Turn on an ore checker, no patrols, boom, dropships. We had 6 EATS pre-deployed and someone with a recoilless, started the objective, and we shot down over a half dozen dropships in the space of ~20 seconds and all it seemed to do was piss the game off to the point it was "Uh no, you're not supposed to complete a regular objective- you're getting dropships every 5 seconds until you're out of ammo and dead." This was just a 7! There weren't even any commissars shooting flares!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Do requisition points do anything after you buy all the upgrades, or do they just accumulate?

There might be more stuff to buy later, but for now currencies just accumulate up to their maximum--50,000 req, 250 medals, 500 common samples, 250 rare samples, 100 super samples.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

None of this contradicts anything that I said in my post

I think there's some important things to add here. I totally agree with you about rockets but devastator detection can feel a little bs for a few reasons.

Devastators always fan their rockets, so one of them is usually targeted directly at you but the others are coming at you in a way that means they have a decent chance of slamming right in to you if you dive out of the way, or start moving but they can splash off terrain. They can also fan their rockets vertically but I've only ever seen this happen if you've got the high ground on them. And as far as detection goes I think there's two important things to know. The bots, just like the bugs, can hear you so sometimes they will be aware of around where you are without seeing you. And no doubt some sight lines are a little bs and they might be able to see through trees, small rocks, or little inclines better than we can. Most importantly though is the fact that bots alert other bots to your location, whether that's actively seeing you or taking potshots at your last known location. So sometimes they will just fling rockets at where they last saw you and you can choose a bad time to run from cover to cover without seeing that the Devastator has already crouched to ready rocket fire.

I feel like all of that is fair and good though, it mostly just means you have to play against bots a lot differently than you play against bugs while getting surrounded by either is inviting a death sentence.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

Just doing objectives I've had *12+* loving dropships show up in groups of 3 at a loving time! Turn on an ore checker, no patrols, boom, dropships. We had 6 EATS pre-deployed and someone with a recoilless, started the objective, and we shot down over a half dozen dropships in the space of ~20 seconds and all it seemed to do was piss the game off to the point it was "Uh no, you're not supposed to complete a regular objective- you're getting dropships every 5 seconds until you're out of ammo and dead." This was just a 7! There weren't even any commissars shooting flares!

Ore sample machine is one of the more shameless cases of "gently caress it just spawn them on top of the objective" when it comes to scripted breaches and dropships in reaction to trying to do things. They skip the 'Those seven patrols were right around that corner the whole time!' phase and go straight to reinforcements. Guess you should have read that disclaimer about disturbing underground creatures when fighting robots huh?

Don't forget that bots can remember they can just drop stuff directly on top of your dropship platform when they remember they can do that, one hell of a way to get body blocked from the dropship ramp. Also sometimes against bugs I have seen them just stubbornly dig up through the ground right next to the extraction platform over and over until you finally have to reload and then they get a breach off.

Preventing patrols from calling reinforcements is a very important part of the game. But the loud narrative of "Just stealth, idiot! Only shooting every patrol you see triggers things!" only matters for legitimate patrols. It won't make a difference when the game is hammering the scripted bullshit button.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 26, 2024

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Sickle not scythe. And it's because being able to almost completely ignore the need for ammo while still doing "pretty good" damage is really useful because most enemies in the game are fodder that you don't really want to waste ammo on, but usually have to, to avoid getting overrun.

LazyMaybe posted:

they aren't "practically hitscan", anywhere other than right up close sprinting perpendicular to them makes the rockets miss. and devestators do not "preaim". if a devastator is shooting rockets at you right as you round a corner, that means you previously exposed yourself to its LoS for it to start the firing animation, entered cover, then exited cover again at a bad time. or it's shooting at a teammate and you're in the line of fire.
the latter is harder to predict, but both are things you mitigate with situational awareness.

I know this is an annoying sort of reply but exaggerating these kinds of things just makes it more unclear.
Nah, there have been plenty of occasions where I or a teammate walk (not sprint) or crouchwalk around a corner in a POI and the firing animation from a rocket trooper or devastator is already playing, resulting in an instakill if we aren't running shieldpack. Not spotted en-route or detected before that point. There's pretty blatant fuckery with the AI when it comes to rocket targeting.

And they are fast enough to be practically hitscan anywhere from close to midrange, which, coincidentally, is where most bot fighting happens. Can they be avoided a decent chunk of the time if the terrain doesn't gently caress you (devastator spread) and you're already sprinting at a 90 degree angle when they fire? Sure. That doesn't describe most encounters though.

Section Z posted:

Ore sample machine is one of the more shameless cases of "gently caress it just spawn them on top of the objective" when it comes to scripted breaches and dropships in reaction to trying to do things. They skip the 'Those seven patrols were right around that corner the whole time!' phase and go straight to reinforcements.
Ore sampling missions are why Super Earth invented the EMS mortar.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fabricated posted:

As far as I can tell the drill sample missions just spawn massive numbers of enemies constantly. More than any other mission type that I have noticed, anyway.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Griz posted:

the one from the Cutting Edge warbond, it's basically the default liberator except it has a slight spin-up delay and 100 round mags of ammo that regenerates if you stop firing for a bit

the scythe on the free warbond is one of the worst guns in the game

Ah, thanks. I've not even looked at them yet as I think they're locked behind something before you can make purchases and I've not worked out what it is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

Increased cooldown time is much less interesting than increased calldown time IMO-you may change your loadout based on worse calldown time, or simply play differently in the moment(throwing 500kgs farther ahead of titans, using stuns to line things up), but cooldown time mostly just means more time spent not doing what you want.
Yeah, increased calldown for me means I swap my 500kgs over to the railcannon and sometimes the airstrikes out too. Maybe will switch my grenades to stun now that I unlocked it, but either way, it at least changes my strategem loadout. For increased cooldown I just deal with it and don't change how I play at all. The former is more interesting.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Soloing a 7 nuke mission with bots was impossible. The terminal is raised with no cover and bot reinforcements were constant. Maybe if I had smoke.

Getting instakilled by rockets is unfun, but I haven't seen if you can tank it with a shield + explosive resist armor.

My main issue with bot missions right now are friendlies throwing the reinsert into clusters of enemies. With bugs you can run away, but here you just get shot in the back.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

thotsky posted:

Getting instakilled by rockets is unfun, but I haven't seen if you can tank it with a shield + explosive resist armor.
Shield + Explosive Resist makes you survive the first rocket but die to the second in the volley.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Rocket devestators are easier to spot and feel less accurate than the raiders. It's usually the sinfle rocket from a small raider hidden in the brush that gets me.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Is the whole "MY LEG" thing a SpongeBob easter egg? My wife thinks it is and has uncontroble laughter every time she hears it.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Is the whole "MY LEG" thing a SpongeBob easter egg? My wife thinks it is and has uncontroble laughter every time she hears it.

It has the same accents and cadence and definitely is reminiscent of it even if unintentional.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I feel like there's a proud tradition in war and war comedy of guys screaming about their legs, not being able to feel them, etc

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

None of this contradicts anything that I said in my post

Oh ok, excuse me:

- You have no practical way of knowing the actual logic behind the coding in aiming, thus your assertion is moot; it may very be 'practically hitscan' as the original poster described and has thus been experienced by thousands of players, ( you experience this yourself when a rocket from a devastator or rocket grunt, or any rocket wielding unit of the Automaton faction lands a direct hit with a rocket. Note: it is not the splash damage that most players are reporting to be 1-shoting them)

- Your preamble about sprinting causing bots to miss their rockets is subjective to your iterative experience as is the way you entirely experience this game, I use a PS4 controller, so stopping to pop and aim is the likeliest method as running, mousing backwards, popping off a dope 360 no-scope headshot, chugging my mountain dew XXL and crusting off my cheeto dusted fingertips are not something i can easily do in the moment with a controller,

-the scenario's you described of 'rounding a corner as a bot is firing' or perhaps the bot 'was already shooting at a teammate" is again; subjective to your iterative experience and not actually ascribing to the original posters issue. You seem to flatly deny that there is any issue with rocket devastators or hulks when it's pretty clear that it's hotly debated whether it is as intended or perhaps an oversight on the developers side.

The games fun, dude, but it ain't perfect. If Helldivers 2 wants to be the Elden Ring of 3rd person shooters, i'm not against it. It's just not clear with its' intentions on if everything is working as it should, defined by their internal vision of how a session should play out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started using the medium stealth armor against bots and it elimited my two biggest difficulties with them:

Devastators are no longer so threatening because they only become aware of you if you're close enough to be aware of them (or are making a bunch of noise in a wide open field)
Medium armor provides enough protection for laser chip damage to not be a huge issue

Light stealth armor #1 vs bugs, Medium stealth armor #1 vs bots. Either way, stealth armor stays winning :clint:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sushibandit posted:

Nah, there have been plenty of occasions where I or a teammate walk (not sprint) or crouchwalk around a corner in a POI and the firing animation from a rocket trooper or devastator is already playing, resulting in an instakill if we aren't running shieldpack. Not spotted en-route or detected before that point. There's pretty blatant fuckery with the AI when it comes to rocket targeting.
I'll concede that there may be times when they start firing on you when you're in cover, though I either haven't experienced it or at least don't have footage of it.

sushibandit posted:

And they are fast enough to be practically hitscan anywhere from close to midrange, which, coincidentally, is where most bot fighting happens. Can they be avoided a decent chunk of the time if the terrain doesn't gently caress you (devastator spread) and you're already sprinting at a 90 degree angle when they fire? Sure. That doesn't describe most encounters though.
No, they aren't. Not even close.
If anything, they're easier to dodge at what I would call "medium" range due to the rockets spreading out more at long range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDE5QJV67Jk

You are drastically overestimating how fast these rockets are, and drastically underestimating how effective perpendicular movement is at avoiding them.

Amazing Member posted:

The games fun, dude, but it ain't perfect. If Helldivers 2 wants to be the Elden Ring of 3rd person shooters, i'm not against it. It's just not clear with its' intentions on if everything is working as it should, defined by their internal vision of how a session should play out.
Maybe I'm just too autistic for this sort of back and forth, but I never said I don't think rockets can be unfair or that it's unreasonable to want them nerfed.
I said that they're not "practically hitscan", because that is, to be frank, just plainly untrue... and I said that if you find them shooting at you as you round a corner, it's due to exposing yourself just prior because that's been my experience(though as I said above, I might be wrong on that latter take).

Please don't assume I mean anything other than what I literally say, it's annoying.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Personally I don't think scout striders get enough poo poo for randomly headshotting you for 80% of your health with an actual hitscan weapon.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
by the way would you believe that it took me 15 minutes of walking around that map on diff 9 to actually find a rocket devastator once I actually wanted to see one. what're the odds

Triarii posted:

Personally I don't think scout striders get enough poo poo for randomly headshotting you for 80% of your health with an actual hitscan weapon.
scout striders are singlehandedly the biggest reason to equip the scorcher in the whole game

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I've always used light throwing distance armor (So no stealth, no explosive resist) and only sometimes use the personal shield (because I like the AC too much) and I can say that >95% of my rocket deaths are because I spent too much time in the open against devastators or hulks without staggering/killing them, or because I just didn't realize a raider/devastator was lining me up from the side. You can sometimes survive rocket barrages in the open if you dive immediately (sometimes it nails you in the head mid dive but that's helldivers) even with light armor and that's plenty generous. The only rocket bot that is hard to anticipate is Hulks because they don't have a clear prefiring animation.

Walking around a corner into prefiring is 100% user error. Bots will spam out the edges of cover that they see you hide behind and this includes rockets, if you walk out right as they unload a barrage that's on you.
In short, skill issue.

Personally I think Heavy Devastators are much more dangerous than Rocket Devs, gatling chainstunning will gently caress you up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LazyMaybe posted:

scout striders are singlehandedly the biggest reason to equip the scorcher in the whole game

The splash damage on the Punisher Plasma seems to make short work of Striders, and yeah Scorcher for sure

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The gatling tracking from barrel tip presumably is a bug too. Thats definitely annoying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pharmaskittle posted:

I feel like there's a proud tradition in war and war comedy of guys screaming about their legs, not being able to feel them, etc

Lt. Dan,

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Triarii posted:

I have always wanted to erase them on sight. But yeah the "Headshots to the legs" change makes the armor fix feel worthless half the time, so people still ignoring them as a non threat has gotten even more dangerous.

I have also become more paranoid of the tiny MG turrets at bot bases than rockets, because they will crit you right through full heavy armor real hard between all the times they tickle. Which the game wants to monkey paw wish me with, by having the robots manning them reveal themselves to have been a rocket trooper all along sometimes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh hell yeah, the queue still bangin tags out. Have faith, helldivers, Democracy works.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I hope they fix "Your game randomly just doesn't get new players"

Played for an hour tonight, two missions. Three people joined, one immediately left, then it was just the three of us for the entire time. I threw down the SoS beacon each time, waited a few minutes before entering the mission, etc. Just no one joined.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's the main reason I quickjoin on other people. If I can join someone else's lobby, other people are gonna be able to as well.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
My phone has been literally SHOVING articles about this game at me and I finally capitulated and joined up.

Y'know, for Democracy.

Played a couple missions (still haven't found the Manager of Democracy yet, but I'm sure I will soon enough) and I'm not sure what Warbond I should start unlocking, or what Strategem to go for or whatever.

Any tips on what I should consider moving for first would certainly be appreciated!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We're finishing 7's now pretty regularly by more or less going straight for the objectives but blowing up what we run into along the way. And now that we can get the pink samples that's helped drive home the fact to my friends that getting out is more important than killing everything on the map.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Zarin posted:

Played a couple missions (still haven't found the Manager of Democracy yet, but I'm sure I will soon enough) and I'm not sure what Warbond I should start unlocking, or what Strategem to go for or whatever.

Start with the first warbond, 'Helldivers Mobilize'. You need to spend a certain amount of medals before you can start unlocking the other two, as well as use super-credits you don't have yet. Get weapons, body armor, grenades, and squad boosters. Other things are cosmetic and you can grab what you want. Oh, and the super-credits so you can buy the other warbonds eventually.

For strategems, the Grenade Launcher is good against bugs and the Anti-Materiel Rifle is good against bots. The machine gun you start with is decent enough against both. Unlock the Expendable Anti-Tank when it comes available. Other than that everything is decent, the orbital barrages are worse than what you can get from the Eagle in my opinion. Turrets are only OK until you get the upgrades for them, they tend to die in situations where you really need them.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 26, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Zarin posted:

My phone has been literally SHOVING articles about this game at me and I finally capitulated and joined up.

Y'know, for Democracy.

Any tips on what I should consider moving for first would certainly be appreciated!

You can stick with the free Warbond for now, Helldivers Mobilize. If you want to spend real money you can unlock the other two, otherwise you will gradually earn SuperCredits to unlock them.

A lot of what you choose to use and unlock is up to you and based on your preferences. The default Liberator, Grenades, Machine Gun, and Orbital Precision Strike are all extremely decent options and there are reasons to use any of them at level 50.

Things to unlock - EATs are always going to be useful against Heavy enemies and emplacements. I would try and get the Breaker early on if you like Shotguns. Eagle Airstrike is good, most of the Eagle stuff is good. The Redeemer side arm is strictly better than the starting pistol. I really like Impact Grenades. EMS Mortar and Gatling Sentry are nice early strats. The Autocannon is fun as hell.

Things to avoid: I think the regular Mortar, regular Machinegun Sentry, and both the Rocket and Autocannon sentries are not particularly good early. Autocannon can be good later but takes a lot of practice. Scythe laser rifle is bad. Orbital Gas/EMS/Smoke are all very situational. Napalm is difficult to use. Orbital bombardments are difficult to use compared to the Eagle. Machine gun guard dog is not very good. Ballistic shield is not very good. (Laser guard dog and personal shield are both extremely good but you get them late).

You will soon be drowning in requisition so don’t worry too much about strategems. Remember to spend your Samples also, Eagles are once again usually pretty good to unlock.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A lot of warbond weapon unlocks, even if they're bad, are things you might as well get because you need to spend a certain amount to unlock the next tier in the warbond anyways.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I find the best way of dealing with negativr mission modifiers is to ignore they exist and blame my teammates when missions go tits up. My cooldowns aren't actually longer, I'm just experiencing frustration based time dilation because B2 is a loving moron.

Also are rocket grunts actually that bad? After getting dinged a few times I just look out for the dudes hanging off in the back and shoot them first.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, but if you don't notice them they certainly can splatter you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Triarii posted:

Just to be clear though the bot guns aren't hitscan either, they shoot projectiles. They're fast projectiles and they're good at leading targets that are moving in a straight line, but they have travel time greater than 0.