Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
That's gonna make tomorrow's commute a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Christ on stilts :stare:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jaysus posted:

That's gonna make tomorrow's commute a bitch.

I’m not sure how much their topography is like Charleston, but if they’re at all bridge-dependent it is going to be turbofucked.

We had a bridge fail inspection (Wando, for those familiar) like 5-6yrs ago so they shut down one span which was the westbound 526 side, so basically all Mt Pleasant/East Cooper/Hwy17S traffic got funneled to the Ravenel Bridge for 4mo.

It was an ungodly shitstorm. We had to anchor ambulances east so there was coverage, but getting downtown for specialty care was almost impossible for ~12hrs per day.

Anyway, RIP anyone who has to be anywhere in Baltimore if that bridge is at all important.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

looks pretty fuckin bad!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

StupidSexyMothman posted:

looks pretty fuckin bad!

LOL :rip: indeed

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just grabbed these off marine traffic if anyone is interested. Ship is the Dali. The blue boats are all police tug and rescue

e: It’s a Maersk leased ship

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Being a buff, leftist construction magnate former marine who is a Steelers fan helps
Lmao

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol already have customers calling asking how this will affect them. Sir, in the history of your company you’ve never shipped through Baltimore, you’ll be fine

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

StupidSexyMothman posted:

looks pretty fuckin bad!

We’re gonna need some ferries stat.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I went to Mackinac Island and saw the bridge that spands the two parts of Michigan they mentioned how the bridge was reinforced and small boats sometimes crash into it and run into a bad time for the boats, and the bridge itself is always fine, but I wonder how much you can even prepare when it’s a ship that big.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.structuremag.org/?p=20417

There’s a good write up here about basically the same/similar thing that happened in Tampa in the 80s, for people who are trying to wrap their heads around this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

By the rockets red glare!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

bobjr posted:

When I went to Mackinac Island and saw the bridge that spands the two parts of Michigan they mentioned how the bridge was reinforced and small boats sometimes crash into it and run into a bad time for the boats, and the bridge itself is always fine, but I wonder how much you can even prepare when it’s a ship that big.

it's also 100m smaller and has a capacity of 50% than the Ever Given and the current class of Ultra Large Container ships

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

"Status: Stopped" yeah that's one way to put it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kalli posted:

Expatting is just brutally hard unless you're a doctor or have buttloads of cash, and even then, a bunch of places just straight up ban retiring to like New Zealand.

Anyway, new topic, buckwild that so many people started watches of TNG and bounced off S1, before retreating happily to the warm blanket of the synidcation eps. Also man, bad taste with DS9 being the runt of the litter.

as somebody who's lived overseas for over a decade - 'expat' has a specific meaning, and it's when you're sent by a company overseas on a fixed contract. it also means you're getting supported financially above and beyond what you would if you just moved and got a local contract in the new country -- things like international schooling for your kids, housing support, or X number of trips home a year are/were common in expat packages.

it's also something that white Americans who moved places for longer than a decade say to avoid realizing they're actually immigrants, because that doesn't match their mental image of the word.

I have permanent residence and own a home in Japan, so my rear end ain't going anywhere anytime soon, and if I had to retire it entail getting a second home either in the mountains or down in the beach in Okinawa, and I know which of those my wife would prefer.

Docjowles posted:

It’s funny the things expats end up jonesing for. A friend moved to Prague for work. We met up with him at one point and the only thing he asked for from the US was as much Frank’s Red Hot as we could transport.

Pop Tarts and clothing that fits. I have not for the life of me seen Pop Tarts in goddamn Tokyo, and I have a Costco membership, which is the one place you think they'd show up.

BlindSite posted:

I would assume any ship coming into port utilises a pilot and tower type conversation to make sure they're in the right place so it doesn't. Someone hosed up

going out of port, in this case. how it lost power within 30 minutes of departure is A Good Question.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Japanese people don’t like Pop Tarts? What the hell?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Japanese people don’t like Pop Tarts? What the hell?

I have never seen them in local grocery stores, and don't remember the last time I saw them in import shops. Amazon JP has 'em but $25 for a 16 pack is, uh, something.

also the more egregious one is that 7-11s, for as awesome as they otherwise are, don't have Slurpees.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
New kickoffs are a’comin

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1772612546467369005

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

We’re gonna need some ferries stat.

there are also a couple of tunnels that cross through battimore

thoughts and prayers for those who need to use them

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what in the world is this? they trying to basically make it like a punt?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

Making it safer so that you don’t have people running and colliding with a full head of steam. It’s like the XFL’s model, and that seemed to work fairly well.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Making it safer so that you don’t have people running and colliding with a full head of steam. It’s like the XFL’s model, and that seemed to work fairly well.

sounds good, let's do it NFL

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Good thing Frank Sobotka ain’t alive to see that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pmchem posted:

The XFL did it, basically they want to make the kickoff an actual play and this is how you can do it without people dying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkpLQtcIH4

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That's pretty cool, it looks a lot safer and returns will actually happen again

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

As I’m sure you all can imagine, people are being Extremely Normal about the bridge online

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Freaquency posted:

As I’m sure you all can imagine, people are being Extremely Normal about the bridge online

Vaxxed?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Go Woke, Bridge Broke

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I heard they repaired parts of the bridge using metal from recycled COVID vaccination needles. MAKES YOU THINK.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

If anyone is bored, PBS RI did a 5 minute video about the main bus from my sis's goat farm if you want to see what it's like to live with 20 goats on a bus for most of the summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLCsAPcSfQQ

You know drat well we do

Thank you for sharing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Freaquency posted:

Watching season 2 of the wire with tears in my eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoPgWIxjpk

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

rip that bridge

at least when the new one is bult it will hopefully be renamed after someone that isnt FSK

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

harperdc posted:

I have never seen them in local grocery stores, and don't remember the last time I saw them in import shops. Amazon JP has 'em but $25 for a 16 pack is, uh, something.

If it helps, I don't think Pop Tarts are as good as they used to be, and I stopped buying them years ago. But I imagine it's the lack of cheap availability that makes you want/miss them

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Honestly the people that are the most annoying aren’t the ones yelling about it being a conspiracy or because of DEI but the people who decide to drag all of that poo poo over to platforms where im specifically trying to avoid it. I didn’t need Andrew Tate’s take on this, thanks

And yes it’s a bit :ironicat: to complain about that after kinda doing the same thing itt

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Shinji2015 posted:

If it helps, I don't think Pop Tarts are as good as they used to be, and I stopped buying them years ago. But I imagine it's the lack of cheap availability that makes you want/miss them

I nominate Crab Cake Span

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

rip that bridge

at least when the new one is bult it will hopefully be renamed after someone that isnt FSK

John Munch Memorial Bridge

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Washington state had a similar (albeit at a much much smaller scale) bridge collapse when a semi's load hit a support pillar with enough force that caused it to collapse:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...5e-79d94eb8b2da

States can work extremely fast to fix something when it's extremely disruptive, imagine that!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Modern medicine really is a miracle when you think about it. Braks went in for gall bladder removal surgery today. We got to the hospital at 5AM, she was wheeled back for surgery at 7, she was done at 8, in recovery at 9, and we're back at home at 11. That's almost slightly insane how fast that was.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Modern medicine really is a miracle when you think about it. Braks went in for gall bladder removal surgery today. We got to the hospital at 5AM, she was wheeled back for surgery at 7, she was done at 8, in recovery at 9, and we're back at home at 11. That's almost slightly insane how fast that was.

That is pretty wild. Glad things went smoothly for you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh poo poo, heal up Braks