Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Punished Turtle posted:

yeah it’s wild!

A second Truss has become a sub!

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's casual racism

It really is. No matter how many times intel analysts, engineers, and various bureaucracies in the talk about their competitors' innovations or bureaucratic setup that allow high production relative to lower dollar-costs, there's always people assuming that because two airplanes look similar, it's just a "copy" or some bullshit about how original thought goes like this, and hierarchical group think goes like that. It's not like IP theft doesn't exist, but you have to have your own engineering production and design abilities to actually do something with designs or concepts attained via trade or espionage or copying portions of designs.

It gets even worse when suggesting that North Korea can and has developed and tested and demonstrated weapons. I'm not saying no one exaggerates their weapons (of course everyone does), but there's a desire from casual racists to just say without evidence that there's no way that North Korea could have built a thing "on their own."

What does "on their own," even really mean, anyway? A lot of the griping about North Korea and their demonstrated missile production is that they had assistance and collaboration in the 90s. The same is true (collaboration and assistance) of virtually every weapons company or country in the world when it comes to working with others to mature designs!

Cynically, some of this report is written to justify programs and defense spending, but what you won't find in this report is "they just copy stuff and are a paper tiger" https://media.defense.gov/2023/Oct/19/2003323409/-1/-1/1/2023-MILITARY-AND-SECURITY-DEVELOPMENTS-INVOLVING-THE-PEOPLES-REPUBLIC-OF-CHINA.PDF

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just add AI to the drydocks, that will fix everything. That's why NVidia's market cap can buy China's whole stock market.

Curiously enough NVidia's market cap can't actually buy China's whole stock market even if they wanted to because the CPC would step in and stop them.

Almost as if that should tell you something important.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gently caress that crumbled like a loving lego. Should have built Kerch bridge style bridge that will withstand some bombardment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That's a pretty big ship to be running directly over a support beam...

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Scallop Eyes posted:

How long until that bridge is replaced/fixed (if it is at all, lol)

it carries the ring road/beltway around baltimore and is pretty important for logistics and shipping around the port. so the state and feds will throw a bunch of money at it. I'd say 2-3 years

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
houthis?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

We have successfully decoupled "government massively spends on infrastructure project" from "project gets built in 2-3 years", so I wouldn't bank on that.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
America's enemies will tremble at our industrial might when they see how fast that bridge is repaired.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hatebag posted:

it carries the ring road/beltway around baltimore and is pretty important for logistics and shipping around the port. so the state and feds will throw a bunch of money at it. I'd say 2-3 years

quoting to come back to in 2-3 years

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
are the shipping containers okay

(gently caress me that looks horrifying, i am not hopeful but i hope at least some of the workers that were up on that bridge saw it coming and ran? or somehow survived jumping? i am not optimistic)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Hatebag posted:

We fed the numbers into the AI, and it said we didn't need to replace it.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It's very appropriate that it's Baltimore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX6wFBCc26I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hup6e23tIPA

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

It's so funny that the current zeitgeist among America fans on social media is another round of jerking off about destroying the Three Gorges Dam, with many concluding that the US does not need to bomb it, only needs to wait for it to collapse by itself. Then it will kill millions of Chinese people, and that's good, and it will be because the Communists do not value human life, which is why they are evil.

Why do they think the Three Gourges Dam is about to collapse?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KomradeX posted:

Falun Gong weirdos saw a Google maps image of the dam a few years back, was stitched together from multiple aerial photos so the image wasn't completely aligned. They of course took it to mean that the dam was warping under pressure and will imminently collapse. They even got one do their hydro engineer cultists to write a book about it.

Boba libs took it and ran with it as to be expected.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Hatebag posted:

Guess which countries have enough steel making capacity to replace a bridge in any meaningful amount of time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
why rebuild the bridge when you can just grift away the reconstruction cash and blame some boogeyman for the whole project going nowhere?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Scallop Eyes posted:

How long until that bridge is replaced/fixed (if it is at all, lol)

Never, can you imagine how much that'll cost

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The state and feds will squabble about who pays and how much. Congressional Republicans will balk at spending any money on a decaying Democrat-led shithole. We can't make the steel domestically and sourcing it from China is politically untenable. Allocated money will disappear down a hundred different rat holes. In the end, nothing gets built and life goes on.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

We have successfully decoupled "government massively spends on infrastructure project" from "project gets built in 2-3 years", so I wouldn't bank on that.

well the one type of infrastructure they're willing to spend money on is roads. it will be a gigantic complicated project, though. and it will probably require months of background survey, soil borings, curing concrete underwater, materials testing. hell it'll probably take 6 months to a year to get a preliminary engineering report. 2-3 years is probably a little optimistic.
i wonder what happened, though. he hit it on the way out so that was a local guy driving the boat because that's how they get boats in/out of the harbor. probably some kinda boat problem

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In longer videos the boat appears to lose power a couple times and starts belching smoke before changing direction and smashing into the support pylon.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
twitter has already solved the mystery

the bridge was woke

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Falun Gong weirdos saw a Google maps image of the dam a few years back, was stitched together from multiple aerial photos so the image wasn't completely aligned. They of course took it to mean that the dam was warping under pressure and will imminently collapse. They even got one do their hydro engineer cultists to write a book about it.

Boba libs took it and ran with it as to be expected.

Jesus this poo poo is exhausting

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Guess which countries have enough steel making capacity to replace a bridge in any meaningful amount of time.

eh, i don't think a lack of steel is the problem. the us still makes a lot of steel, it's just that a bunch of it is recycled in arc furnaces instead of made raw. the problem is that this project will involve a dozen engineering/construction companies and countless political freaks all trying to wet their beaks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1772377817851765220?t=mnPlaI_E7IjJWcHE6gKlOA&s=19

Of course, the question here is: why is the assumption that Three Gorges was built as shoddily as all those other dams from the 1970s, rather than the lack of collapse indicating that the PRC has eliminated the issues that caused the earlier dams to fail, when considering that no other dams have failed since???

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

In longer videos the boat appears to lose power a couple times and starts belching smoke before changing direction and smashing into the support pylon.

ah, so probably a boat problem.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

good to know that this meme exists because of something that basically nobody in the west has ever heard about, that really clears things up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

good to know that this meme exists because of something that basically nobody in the west has ever heard about, that really clears things up

Also, because the collapse has never materialized, people have shifted over to demanding that the Three Gorges gets nuked instead

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Truga posted:

twitter has already solved the mystery

the bridge was woke

Bar Ran Dun posted:

US domestic steel product is often (it fluctuates so I don’t know this weeks) around 1.6 million tons a week.

do you think that is not adequate for industrial war?

A carrier displaces about 100,000 tons (to keep this all simple I’m not gunna bother with ST vs LT vs MT.) a tank is like 63 tons.

if there were a switch to a war command economy is steel production the bottleneck for the US?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

oh I get that you think it’s impossible.

let’s ignore the existential war point from earlier. think about another possibility , real actual fascism. we go from neo-liberalism to an out right open fascist totalitarian state.

see it’s not impossible materially. you think it’s impossible ideologically

recalling that boat poster who thinks that fascism will result in the us training weights being lifted and unleashing the war command economy when if anything it'll just succumb to the same political-economic ills because both sides of the aisle have the same assumptions about how the economy works

only difference is the culture war each side is on

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Ardennes posted:

It is interesting to think of WW1/WW2 as twin intermissions that gave some temporary respite traditional Anglo ire at the Russkis.

More and more im thinking of WW2 as a war between the anglos and the Soviets with Britain and France using Germany as a proxy, until the Nazis turned and bit the hand that was feeding them. A theme which has been repeated over and over with the Brits and later Americans.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I think it's genuinely possible that America just can't rebuild a bridge that big at this point, how would you even do it? There's so little industrial capacity left and it costs so much to pay your way through all the grift and poo poo that's in the way.

I'm sure a bunch of people will make themselves rich(er) off of it but I am not confident that the will in government exists to actually replace the bridge.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fits my needs posted:

quoting to come back to in 2-3 years

Yeah there is no way, 2 year to remove the broken parts more like.

But I see they built a different bridge to replace that collapsed Italian bridge in 2 years.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fell Mood posted:

More and more im thinking of WW2 as a war between the anglos and the Soviets with Britain and France using Germany as a proxy, until the Nazis turned and bit the hand that was feeding them. A theme which has been repeated over and over with the Brits and later Americans.

Arguably, Germany was more of a hot potato than a proxy, neither side really wanted to deal with it and eventually the Brits found themselves stuck with another continental war.

The Soviets did the classic move by a Russian state to basically ignore or dramatically underestimate any threat coming from the West.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched a shipping youtuber analysis, he said the ship appeared to lost power 1-2 times, was trying to go backward, also dropped the anchor. Just mad dash doing all things at the same time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nothus posted:

The state and feds will squabble about who pays and how much. Congressional Republicans will balk at spending any money on a decaying Democrat-led shithole. We can't make the steel domestically and sourcing it from China is politically untenable. Allocated money will disappear down a hundred different rat holes. In the end, nothing gets built and life goes on.

The bay bridge got replaced, and, IIRC, the company hired to do the welding basically said "good enough for government" and did a shabby job so they had to go back and replace it.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

sullat posted:

The bay bridge got replaced, and, IIRC, the company hired to do the welding basically said "good enough for government" and did a shabby job so they had to go back and replace it.

the sf oakland bridge? like four different companies hosed up with the anchor rod installations and installed them in a way they'd be subject to corrosion. also a lot of welding issues. that bridge is probably going to collapse in an earthquake in a few years

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Hatebag posted:

the sf oakland bridge? like four different companies hosed up with the anchor rod installations and installed them in a way they'd be subject to corrosion. also a lot of welding issues. that bridge is probably going to collapse in an earthquake in a few years

*runs into thread gasping for air*
but did those companies make a profit!?!!??

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fell Mood posted:

Hitler was incredibly annoyed that Churchill wouldn't accept some sort of peace so they could both attack Stalin whom he felt was their natural enemy.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

poisonpill posted:

*runs into thread gasping for air*
but did those companies make a profit!?!!??

they were fined $34 million out of the $2 billion project cost. truly horrific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Give the bridge building contract to Elon Musk imo.
It's going to be equally horrible but the content will be amazing.