Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Very interested in the underlying data behind that 71 win projection.

I imagine it hates the rotation with Cole hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ah, the slick gloved middle infielder who couldn't outhit a t-baller. Freddie Patek slashed .212/.280/.276 on his way to an All-Star team in 1972. A better OPS+, 67 instead of 48, but even more wild was that he was worth 1.2 WAR on offense because middle infielders could not hit for poo poo bitd. We used to be a country, a real country.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Ah, the slick gloved middle infielder who couldn't outhit a t-baller. Freddie Patek slashed .212/.280/.276 on his way to an All-Star team in 1972. A better OPS+, 67 instead of 48, but even more wild was that he was worth 1.2 WAR on offense because middle infielders could not hit for poo poo bitd. We used to be a country, a real country.
I looked up his splits for that season and his hitting pre & post All-Star break was pretty similar, so the managers and/or players saw at that level of performance and went "Yep...All-Star."

The other two A.L. All-Star shortstops in '84 were Cal Ripken (.304 AVG, .884 OPS, 27 HR, 86 RBI, 10.0 WAR) and Alan Trammel (.314 AVG, .851 OPS, 14 HR, 69 RBI, 6.8 WAR, World Series MVP), so one of those three was definitely not like the others. I mean, it's not often a regular starter hits four home runs over 140 games in a season and finishes with as many dingers as walks.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 26, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Crazy Ted posted:

I refuse to believe this.

Given that there have been entire documentaries about the frequency of professional athletes going broke & bankrupt due to shady people screwing them out of shitloads of money, this would really not be surprising at all. He could turn out to be a secret gambling addict, but I've got to think that due to the prevalence of Social Media big rumors about that would have come out about that long before now.

And since it's still technically the offseason and I'm coming out of my posting slumber (I've been really sick - bleeding ulcers) here's some MLB esoterica I randomly came across last night via Alfredo Griffin's career statistics. He had a season (1984) where he walked four times in 442 Plate Appearances .His average was .241 and his on-base was .248. He had fourteen extra-base hits. His OPS+ was 48. His WAR was -1.5.

He made the All-Star Game for a Blue Jays team that won 89 games and had two other All-Stars :stonk:

Bill James on Alfredo Griffin:

"Bill James posted:

One thing I have always wanted to do was to document Alfredo's baserunning exploits. He really was phenomenal. I personally saw him score from second on a ground ball to second, scoring the lead run in the top of the ninth. I have heard about Alfredo doing things like going first-to-third on infield outs, moving second-to-third on a pop up to short, scoring on a pop out to the catcher, and taking second after grounding into a forceout. Alfredo figured that if you left the base ahead of him unguarded, it was his.

He has been a base coach for many years, probably still is somewhere.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Glad you're on the mend, Crazy Ted.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Stolen from reddit but I still think it's funny:

quote:

I heard that Ippei is getting 2 months in jail a year for 10 years. Then 680 months a year for the rest of his life.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Very interested in the underlying data behind that 71 win projection.
aren't you more convinced than anyone of the shittiness of this Yankees team?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

aren't you more convinced than anyone of the shittiness of this Yankees team?

they are improved from last year and i said think they will make the playoffs if judge or soto doesn't die.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

they are improved from last year and i said think they will make the playoffs if judge or soto doesn't die.

Judge has already been injured, Cole is injured, Rizzo is kind of injured, DJLM is injured

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/1772466094768292233?t=IaAFkwLl2TdPaUcrbyTyEw&s=19

Apparently they can't close the roof with fans in the building? Or can't once the game has started.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bang

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

1 - to - 3, let's jam.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Eric the Mauve posted:

Bill James on Alfredo Griffin:

He has been a base coach for many years, probably still is somewhere.

I miss the good old days of baseball, when qualities like, "Being able to hustle while not being an immigrant" could get a man on the All Star team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I said last year that it would be the funniest possible thing if this roster was the first Yankees team to go under-.500 in my lifetime after those incredible 2010s lineups, but actually, adding Soto and then doing it would be way funnier.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Captain Log posted:

I miss the good old days of baseball, when qualities like, "Being able to hustle while not being an immigrant" could get a man on the All Star team.

If you're referring to Griffin, he's from the Dominican Republic and ain't white.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Judge has already been injured, Cole is injured, Rizzo is kind of injured, DJLM is injured

RIGHT NOW Judge is healthy. When I say him not dying I mean him playing like 130ish games.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Don’t love this. Do we know how we’re getting Cooper on the 40, too?

answering my own question, it's gotta be Kilian to the 60-day IL. Also based on process of elimination, looks like Wisdom is starting either on the IL or in Iowa.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

thefncrow posted:

Wedging "knowingly" in there seems to be a defense should it ever be proven there were transfers to the bookie that were initiated not by Ippei but by Ohtani, Ohtani can say, well my statement to the public wasn't a lie, I did initiate the transfer but I didn't know he was a bookie.
This is in keeping with the update to the ESPN story that changed the account of Ippei's conference to say Ohtani knew he needed help with something and covered his debts but didn't know what it was for.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mcmagic posted:

lol wow this projection HATES the yankees. 19 games under 500!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/1772371681081794670

Mariners? Padres?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Mariners? Padres?

That’s the number six organization in baseball to you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, at least you have electric Nationals baseball to keep your mind off the $20 miller lite bottles

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s always exciting to feel Opening Day approaching and see everyone in full posting form and ready.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm feeling spring beat-up, myself

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

RIGHT NOW Judge is healthy. When I say him not dying I mean him playing like 130ish games.

He literally had to miss games a week ago or whatever for a rib injury

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

He literally had to miss games a week ago or whatever for a rib injury

Yeah but he missed a week and came back. They can deal with that. They can't deal with him missing 3 months like last year........

I just want to know why PECOTA has the Yankees winning 92 games and the division and this BR projection has them winning 71 lol. what is causing that giant level of variability.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but he missed a week and came back. They can deal with that. They can't deal with him missing 3 months like last year........

I just want to know why PECOTA has the Yankees winning 92 games and the division and this BR projection has them winning 71 lol. what is causing that giant level of variability.

I saw it was based on the last 100 games of a team and not including additions/subtractions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm in the best shitposting shape of my life

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Just assuming those B-R simulations are really really bullish on the M's pitching?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

humpthewind posted:

I saw it was based on the last 100 games of a team and not including additions/subtractions.

lol so completely useless

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

mcmagic posted:

lol so completely useless

Yeah its very much just engagement bait. Here is the full desc from their site:

MLB playoff odds are based on 1000 simulations of the rest of the season and playoffs. The team's estimated quality is determined by their performance over their last 100 regular season games (even if it spans seasons) and includes a regression to the mean factor. These results are based on standings through 2024-03-21. This page does not update during the postseason.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Fully expecting like….miles mikolas to stumble in a puddle of dip coming out of the dugout and slip a disc or something

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Prof. Spaceman posted:

1 - to - 3, let's jam.

:golfclap:

It's still 6 days away, but right now the weather is reporting thunderstorms on Monday for Wrigley opening day. :ohdear:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm not going to the opening games here in (not) Atlanta but I will be there when we're up against the Mets. Gonna get myself a Hank Aaron bobble-head!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:golfclap:

It's still 6 days away, but right now the weather is reporting thunderstorms on Monday for Wrigley opening day. :ohdear:

It occurred to me yesterday that this is the first time in like, close to 25 years I'm actually in a position to attend the Cubs home opener but then I looked at the weather + ticket prices, and lmao maybe next year.

Feels like the Cubs first home series is way earlier this year than normal? Usually they start with a decently sized road trip, presumably to avoid as much April weather as possible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

humpthewind posted:

Yeah its very much just engagement bait. Here is the full desc from their site:

MLB playoff odds are based on 1000 simulations of the rest of the season and playoffs. The team's estimated quality is determined by their performance over their last 100 regular season games (even if it spans seasons) and includes a regression to the mean factor. These results are based on standings through 2024-03-21. This page does not update during the postseason.

So it's based on the last 100 games of the 2023 yankees most of them without Judge and with the rest of the team being dogshit garbage.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Feels like the Cubs first home series is way earlier this year than normal? Usually they start with a decently sized road trip, presumably to avoid as much April weather as possible.

We would love to start on the road every season, but unfortunately, so would every other team. Even the teams in warmer-weather cities want to push as many home games to summer as possible because attendance isn't just based on weather, but school. There's no "usually" about scheduling. League refused to start us on the road in 2015 when we specifically requested as long as possible to get the new video boards up and running.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The house money continues for the Texas Rangers. I never left cloud nine.

What's that? They're in last place and they fell into a pit into the abyss? Ah well, whaddya gonna do?:shobon:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Holy poo poo it's almost opening day.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

R.D. Mangles posted:

Holy poo poo it's almost opening day.

Yeah I had this realization last night when I put BOS/TEX on in the background. Really snuck up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm about to be off for paternity leave so the amount of baseball I'm going to watch in the next 2 months is going to own. Baseball seems like the perfect thing to have on in the background while tending to a baby.