Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

had a great little run going with spade flushes. had reduced my hand size to 5 to get a couple of negative joker slots but most of my deck was spades so it was looking good. then i got the boss that reduces hand size by 1, leaving me with a hand size of 4 making it impossible to play a flush lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pisshead posted:

I just had a run where I had several mult-x jokers, and one bad round where nothing came up wrecked it. It's pretty demoralising because I have to get through ten garbage runs to get one where there's a chance of winning, then I lose on ante 5 or something. How do I get better jokers more consistently?

if you're playing on purple stake or above you reroll until the first shop has something useful

otherwise you just get hosed because the scaling is out of control at that level

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

aaaaaaa I just need the stone joker and I've filled out my joker collection. I saw it once when I was spam rerolling, but muscle memory clicked it away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The glass joker is extremely funny with the all-glass challenge

Just skip to the boss blind and let everything explode anyway

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Would definitely love some kind of method to get more scoring jokers in early Antes, whatever form that takes. Too many gold stakes runs are just completely dead in the water with no input from you.

Small bonus at the start of a run? Choice of a handful of skip tags for ante 1? Just a tweaked probability of finding scoring jokers (or buffoon packs) in your first shop or two? I'd take anything.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Would definitely love some kind of method to get more scoring jokers in early Antes, whatever form that takes. Too many gold stakes runs are just completely dead in the water with no input from you.

Small bonus at the start of a run? Choice of a handful of skip tags for ante 1? Just a tweaked probability of finding scoring jokers (or buffoon packs) in your first shop or two? I'd take anything.

Choice of skip tag for round 1 would go a long way, honestly. Free mega buffoon pack to start could also help.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I've seen it suggested before but someone mentioned that forcing a joker to appear in the first two shops without needing to reroll would be useful. Brotato does something similar by forcing weapons to show up for the first couple shops.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

If I knew how to mod this game, I'd just make a mod that gives every deck the basic Joker (just plain +4 mult) at the start of each game. I've said it before, but it's enough to let you get through the first couple of antes but it's useless long term and only worth $1 to sell, so it's a perfect free starter joker.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Zurai posted:

If I knew how to mod this game, I'd just make a mod that gives every deck the basic Joker (just plain +4 mult) at the start of each game. I've said it before, but it's enough to let you get through the first couple of antes but it's useless long term and only worth $1 to sell, so it's a perfect free starter joker.

Agreed with this. Starting with it every time would go a long way to smooth out the early game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want a joker that does nothing but plays this on loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1KM9HMpso

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I feel like they even need a base Joker (+4) for xMulti or maybe even a modifier on the base Joker like "sell 5 jokers for x1.25 multi (5 left)" because you kinda need xMulti for the win but the game can really screw you on it.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
I think something like Slay the Spire's floor-zero whale bonuses could work well. You choose one of a few options to start your run, and it helps give a little bit of structure right away. I guess the skips kind of offer that, but it doesn't feel like there's quite enough variety when starting a new run. Play flushes, hope for a decent shop, repeat, then once you clear the first boss the run actually begins.

Choose from a common joker, two random tarot/celestial cards, a few extra dollars, things like that. STS offers two basic perks, and then two better ones that also give you a small debuff - I think there's probably a lot you could do with that kind of system without turning it into a full custom challenge mode

Saying all that though, I've been playing this basically non-stop since release and I'm not going to stop. You can't make me stop.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Relyssa posted:

Choice of skip tag for round 1 would go a long way, honestly. Free mega buffoon pack to start could also help.

I would give a choice of one of like 5 common jokers to start. Higher antes can reduce the number you get to choose from.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Finally cleared a run. Yellow deck to buy more jokers early was the key.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Wazzerphuk posted:

I think something like Slay the Spire's floor-zero whale bonuses could work well. You choose one of a few options to start your run, and it helps give a little bit of structure right away. I guess the skips kind of offer that, but it doesn't feel like there's quite enough variety when starting a new run. Play flushes, hope for a decent shop, repeat, then once you clear the first boss the run actually begins.

Choose from a common joker, two random tarot/celestial cards, a few extra dollars, things like that. STS offers two basic perks, and then two better ones that also give you a small debuff - I think there's probably a lot you could do with that kind of system without turning it into a full custom challenge mode

Saying all that though, I've been playing this basically non-stop since release and I'm not going to stop. You can't make me stop.

There's a mod for this. Literally this, it includes a little Neow card and everything.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

skaboomizzy posted:

Finally cleared a run. Yellow deck to buy more jokers early was the key.

That was my first win as well. Keeping a consistent amount of money coming in is crucial and yellow deck jumps you ahead of the game.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

A Strange Aeon posted:

That was my first win as well. Keeping a consistent amount of money coming in is crucial and yellow deck jumps you ahead of the game.

I also got the Burglar joker that sets your discards to 0 but gives +3 hands, and the joker that gives you +15 Mult when you have no discards lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just got my first W!

Burnt Joker + Pairs for life

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

TaurusTorus posted:

aaaaaaa I just need the stone joker and I've filled out my joker collection. I saw it once when I was spam rerolling, but muscle memory clicked it away.

Complaining works, now all I need is an orange stake victory to complete my collection entirely.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a joker that does nothing but plays this on loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1KM9HMpso

I think about this song a lot when I play balatro

Sometimes it’s “the six of spades” or whatever

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elman posted:

Not necessarily, I posted my run earlier. I didn't really have many of those but I beat it thanks to flushes and Telescope. I definitely got lucky though. You'll need a bunch of reloads but it's not much worse than gold stakes.
20/20 challenges done, thank you so much for this! Flushes got me there... with, you know, twenty or so failed runs, and twenty or so broken glass cards along the way (actually, only 12. ended with 44 in deck so that's 8, plus I bought four cards from standard packs so that's four more.)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

DACK FAYDEN posted:

20/20 challenges done, thank you so much for this! Flushes got me there... with, you know, twenty or so failed runs, and twenty or so broken glass cards along the way (actually, only 12. ended with 44 in deck so that's 8, plus I bought four cards from standard packs so that's four more.)

Only 20 failed runs!?

I’m at like 120. Politely go gently caress yourself tyvm

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/DialNouns/status/1772003159252029858

sorry if already posted

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I feel like the telescope deck is probably one of the strongest options for jokerless

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nihilarian posted:

I feel like the telescope deck is probably one of the strongest options for jokerless

Wait can u pick decks for challenges

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
You cannot, although you can get Telescope.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No, but it'd be a fun idea to record

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Zurai posted:

There's a mod for this. Literally this, it includes a little Neow card and everything.

There are mods???? I don't see a Steam Workshop tab (unless my eyes are glazing over it), where do we find them?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Artelier posted:

There are mods???? I don't see a Steam Workshop tab (unless my eyes are glazing over it), where do we find them?

https://github.com/jie65535/awesome-balatro?tab=readme-ov-file

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

oh is there a specific challenge for that? I thought people just did it because

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

40 hours in, just got why the Walkie Talkie multiples 10s and 4s. Ugh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wait, you can add negative Joker cards even if you are at the Joker limit? :psyduck: I always assumed you had to sell a Joker first to make room for any new Joker, even if they are negative.

How did I not know this until now???? :aaaaa:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wait, you can add negative Joker cards even if you are at the Joker limit? :psyduck: I always assumed you had to sell a Joker first to make room for any new Joker, even if they are negative.

How did I not know this until now???? :aaaaa:

But that’s the point of the negative joker?

Oth I do think adding a negative joker that says +1 joker slot makes initially think it should add an extra slot. E.g you have 5/5 jokers, pick up a negative, you should be at 6/7 instead of 6/6. I mean the way it works makes sense I just think it’s worded a bit oddly

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Aipsh posted:

But that’s the point of the negative joker?

Oth I do think adding a negative joker that says +1 joker slot makes initially think it should add an extra slot. E.g you have 5/5 jokers, pick up a negative, you should be at 6/7 instead of 6/6. I mean the way it works makes sense I just think it’s worded a bit oddly

No, I mean like if your Joker count is already at 5/5 that you'd have to sell one to get down to 4/5 before being able to add/fit in the negative Joker to make it 5/6 and have the negative trait kick in rather than immediately adding it to a 5/5 set to make 6/6. That was my assumption, anyways.

e: I finally found the Perkeo legendary card. How can I take advantage of its gimmick?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 26, 2024

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tried to get the 100,000,000 point hand to unlock that joker, ended up going quite a bit beyond

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

No, I mean like if your Joker count is already at 5/5 that you'd have to sell one to get down to 4/5 before being able to add/fit in the negative Joker to make it 5/6 and have the negative trait kick in rather than immediately adding it to a 5/5 set to make 6/6. That was my assumption, anyways.

e: I finally found the Perkeo legendary card. How can I take advantage of its gimmick?

Oooh I see yeah that also makes sense. Honestly a negative should just say 'ignores joker limit'

Have also just found out after a few grinds that the Zodiac deck's three starting vouchers do not count towards the ROI trophy, and someone on the internet led me to believe otherwise.

At the very least I got a really cool run going of:
The joker that gives +4 for spades
Then the Castle Joker which gains +3 Chips per discarded card from a random Suit
Then Bootstraps
THEN Smeared Joker
Then Baseball dude

It just meant that every club was also a spade, which meant I had an easy flush deck going, but that I could also discard any heart or diamonds for chips on the castle, and if the castle was targeting clubs OR spades I could discard either of them depending on which gave a better chance for a flush.

I had something like +400 chips by the end

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Aipsh posted:

Have also just found out after a few grinds that the Zodiac deck's three starting vouchers do not count towards the ROI trophy, and someone on the internet led me to believe otherwise.

the wording on it says you have to redeem 10 vouchers, so starting with them wouldn't count for that since you didn't buy them mid-run

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

1) Get the second telescope that gives 1.5x mult for having a planet card in your consumables
2) Get the planet card of your most commonly used hand
3) Stack 1.5x mult bonuses

You can also use it to dupe tarot cards that change suit or add bonuses to cards to supercharge your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Argh god drat it, again how did I not think of this before?

For the Spectral card (Ankh?) that says create a copy of a random Joker and destroy all other cards, it can't destroy eternal Jokers so it'll keep those and destroy the non-Jokers. :psyboom:

Basically anything that says "destroy Joker" it won't do that for eternal Jokers, so do with that as you will. Don't just take what it says on the card at face value!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

1) Get the second telescope that gives 1.5x mult for having a planet card in your consumables
2) Get the planet card of your most commonly used hand
3) Stack 1.5x mult bonuses

You can also use it to dupe tarot cards that change suit or add bonuses to cards to supercharge your deck.

Neat! That being said, should you use the original card or the negative tarot card or does it not matter?

e:

I kind of wish there was a tarot card that let you add/manipulate the eternal status of Jokers and not just have it be limited to a Stack gimmick.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 26, 2024