Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Book of the new sun, very fantasy and very TV friendly.

One day, somebody will finally get a hold of the Neuromancer right and make a giant movie out of it, and then people will complain it's a Matrix rip off.

Snow Crash and Diamond Age, and my personal favorite Anathem.

Anathem would work better as a show or movie than the book even because the book deliberately makes it hard to understand what the gently caress is going on with the use of made up words. If it was a show it would just be obvious!

Once you got past that part of the books it was pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Best German show ever is Commodore Rex

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

priznat posted:

Anathem would work better as a show or movie than the book even because the book deliberately makes it hard to understand what the gently caress is going on with the use of made up words. If it was a show it would just be obvious!

Once you got past that part of the books it was pretty cool though.

I don't think that part can be adopted, with all the alternate scientists names and scientific theorems, it would move too fast for first time watchers to grasp. Maybe just a very simplified version of it on TV. It would make a great 8-10 part series. The story is already written in a way that's serialized with a lot of cheap settings. Also a YA! Man I listen to the audiobook so many times, it's time for another listen.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think it took me until they rode a train over the North Pole for me to realize this was some sort of alternate Earth lol

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

vinge's estate better not let benioff and weiss anywhere near a fire upon the deep though :toughguy:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

I think it took me until they rode a train over the North Pole for me to realize this was some sort of alternate Earth lol

It's been a while but at some point isn't it hinted they have some pretty different looking biology to humans too?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

priznat posted:

It's been a while but at some point isn't it hinted they have some pretty different looking biology to humans too?

I don’t recall that but I think my initial assumption was “distant future after some sort of apocalyptic reset” so I would’ve chalked that up to radiation or something

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

I don’t recall that but I think my initial assumption was “distant future after some sort of apocalyptic reset” so I would’ve chalked that up to radiation or something

Yah very well could be. I should re-read it, it's just taking up massive amounts of space on my bookshelf so why not?! lol

I do think Anathem was the last Stephenson novel I bought though. None of the other ones hooked me with the premise

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

priznat posted:

Yah very well could be. I should re-read it, it's just taking up massive amounts of space on my bookshelf so why not?! lol

I do think Anathem was the last Stephenson novel I bought though. None of the other ones hooked me with the premise

I should reread Diamond Age because everyone loves it but I couldn’t really get into it, maybe it’s better the second time

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

I should reread Diamond Age because everyone loves it but I couldn’t really get into it, maybe it’s better the second time

I liked it a lot and I bet if I re-read it now it would hit different as I'd be more sympathetic to Hackworth. Also jealous of his life in the communal gently caress-pile

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

priznat posted:

Can spider man’s dick stick to walls and other things like could he just touch the tip to the ceiling and hang there

:thunkgun:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i find neal stephenson just so enjoyable to read. i even read the baroque cycle and loved all of it lol. the big u is his only below average novel imo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Gonna actually watch Freddy got Fingered now. Wish me luck.

10/10. I can't think of a bigger troll on Hollywood before or after.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’d enjoy Stephenson more if he ever actually wrote endings.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I tried to read neuromancer but got to the protagonist being named hiro protagonist and quit

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I tried to read neuromancer but got to the protagonist being named hiro protagonist and quit
that's snow crash. neuromancer's protagonist is named luke skywalker

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cubone posted:

that's snow crash. neuromancer's protagonist is named luke skywalker

Small mistake, it's actually Lukesky Walker. Russian-American, I think.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Small mistake, it's actually Lukesky Walker. Russian-American, I think.

I think you're thinking of Babylon five, Pretty sure his name was Jean-Luc Skywalker.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mordja posted:

Easy come easy go.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
"Peter what's this jar of white goop with a pony in it?"

"OH UH YOU FOUND ME OUT AUNT MAY, I'M SPIDERMAN"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dijkstracula posted:

vinge's estate better not let benioff and weiss anywhere near a fire upon the deep though :toughguy:

......why would his estate need to say anything?

*checks news*

gently caress!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

The best thing I've watched in ages is a batshit insane series made by the German government to teach the language to immigrants called Nico's Weg.

The combination of deciding to have one continuing story for the entire (massive) course, the needs of it being a language course, and obvious budget constraints have led to an absolutely mental story. I'm only about halfway through but so far:

-A Spanish dude named Nico arrives in Germany and immediately loses his backpack with all his documentation/money/belongings in the back of a taxi.
-He meets a friendly, helpful German lady (extremely unrealistic), and explains that he is coming to stay with his aunt that owns a bike shop. His aunt doesn't know he's coming. He doesn't know where the bike shop is, his aunt's contact details, or her last name.
-The German lady immediately entrusts this strange man with no ID and an insane story with babysitting her young niece. He's also invited to children's parties.
-German ladies dad is a police chief. He believes the story at face value and basically says "poo poo that's bad luck. Well, seeya".
-Several weeks of hijinks then happen which include Nico crashing at German ladies flat and working illegally at a restaurant.
-7 weeks in someone finally uses their phone to google the aunt's bike shop. When they get to the address it's a vacant lot where nothing has ever existed.
-One of the flatmates moves out. Instead of offering Nico the room they interview a bunch of shithouse flatmates. They still kick Nico out.
-A creepy old lady overhears that Nico now has nowhere to live and gives him her address so he can come and live with her.

Anyway, in the episode I just watched he finally found his aunt's bike shop and the two guys who own the restaurant Nico works at are inside robbing it. I assume they knew where it was the entire time and just didn't tell him because they had already planned to burgle it.

This poo poo loving rules.

lol drat I’m going to have to look that up, it sounds like everything I could ever want from a German government film

The fiction of German’s even talking to strangers and not just awkwardly staring them down in the street is hilarious enough, let alone random people inviting you to live with them.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 26, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Endless Trash posted:

I wasn't paying attention so I assumed this post was about The Polar Express

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My favorite sci-fi novel The Sparrow is adaptable. The youtuber Quinn's Ideas who got kind of annoyingly into Three Body Problem did a video about it recently which surprised me. It was far more disturbing than the Three Body Problem books and not only has characters that are likable they're the core of the book. Never felt as gut punch by a work of fiction.

Mordja posted:

Jay not accepting it was like that on purpose was weird.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 26, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can’t spell Lyme disease without lie.

Lmao

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The Murderbot series is apparently maybe getting an adaption, and at least the three novellas I've read would be perfect for a series of movies.

They're pulpy fun scifi adventures with a central character that travels around, otherwise the cast and setting changes in each story. No world ending stakes, just some fun scifi scenarios, robots, monsters, lasers, etc. The only difficulty in the adaptation would probably be that a lot of the stories are Murderbot's (that's their name) internal thoughts and feelings. If they solved that by switching the viewpoint characters to be the humans instead of the Murderbot, it would still be fine and make for some fun movies.

Probably though if there is an adaptation it will be blue sky lasers and CGI armies and bad sexless love stories.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TURTLE SLUT posted:

The Murderbot series is apparently maybe getting an adaption, and at least the three novellas I've read would be perfect for a series of movies.

They're pulpy fun scifi adventures with a central character that travels around, otherwise the cast and setting changes in each story. No world ending stakes, just some fun scifi scenarios, robots, monsters, lasers, etc. The only difficulty in the adaptation would probably be that a lot of the stories are Murderbot's (that's their name) internal thoughts and feelings. If they solved that by switching the viewpoint characters to be the humans instead of the Murderbot, it would still be fine and make for some fun movies.

Probably though if there is an adaptation it will be blue sky lasers and CGI armies and bad sexless love stories.

Yeah, they got a Skarsgard for it.

I enjoyed the first one but thought the human characters could have been fleshed out more. Then I read the next two and longed for the days when the characters were as fleshed out as the first one. Then I stopped reading them altogether.

I dunno maybe like the 7th one is good. I know they get longer and longer as they go.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Mulva posted:

......why would his estate need to say anything?

*checks news*

gently caress!

yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news :smith:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I was telling a friend how we were gonna go see Phantom Menace and he went on this weird rant about how he hasn't gone to the cinema for years because movies are pushing an agenda and all new movies are bad. And i'm like Dune???? Oppenheimer??? then i realized he only watches super hero trash and is angry about women (i think?)

Talking about old movies I'm cautiously optimistic about Furiosa even if the trailers are trash but they're showing Road Warrior and Fury Road in the cinema so I get to see them again. so thanks miller even if your movie sucks i get to watch the good ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know why people lack faith in Furiosa. When's the last time George Miller made a bad movie? All of the Mad Max movies are good, the Babe movies are both weird and good and the Happy Feet movies are batshit crazy.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

now speaking of adaptations of unfilmable sci-fi novels, did anybody catch Last And First Men (2020)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-lBSl4MqWY

It's directed by the composer of the Arrival soundtrack (who also scored this film) and as you might expect it goddarn slaps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/09/movies/last-and-first-men-review.html posted:

Yet even describing “Last and First Men” as a movie, while accurate, is misleading; it often feels closer to a literary exercise or fine-art photography. (A live, multimedia version was shown in 2017.) It combines a complex, “Dune”-like mythology with the sonorous, hypnotic line readings of the British essay films of Patrick Keiller (“Robinson in Ruins”).

Based on the 1930 science fiction novel by Olaf Stapledon, the film mainly consists of 16-millimeter black-and-white images of abandoned monuments, identified in the credits as being in the Balkans. No humans appear. While the camera surveys the asymmetries of the monolithic sculptures, often pondering the sky through negative space in the stonework, Tilda Swinton delivers a voice-over that begins with an epic poem-style invocation (“listen patiently”) and is framed as a dispatch from two billion years from now, when our descendants, bracing for extinction, share a telepathic hive mind and have appearances that would look grotesque to us.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont know why people lack faith in Furiosa. When's the last time George Miller made a bad movie? All of the Mad Max movies are good, the Babe movies are both weird and good and the Happy Feet movies are batshit crazy.

I guess I would say primarily it's because the trailers look pretty bad, and secondarily for some reason they went with the unnecessary prequel version of the premise. How did furiosa get her famous arm!??!?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Arc Hammer posted:

I remember the reviews for Three Thousand Years of Longing being a bit mixed. Though so few people saw it that it's hard to gauge any form of popular opinion on the movie.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i bet its crap but i aint seen no movies.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I was telling a friend how we were gonna go see Phantom Menace and he went on this weird rant about how he hasn't gone to the cinema for years because movies are pushing an agenda and all new movies are bad. And i'm like Dune???? Oppenheimer??? then i realized he only watches super hero trash and is angry about women (i think?)

I went to see the green knight with a former friend and afterwards he complained about the intrusion of the gay agenda in media. because two male characters kiss on the lips.

absolutely no critical thinking at all.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LanceHunter posted:

I remember the reviews for Three Thousand Years of Longing being a bit mixed. Though so few people saw it that it's hard to gauge any form of popular opinion on the movie.
Yeah did anyone here see that? I meant to but i just never did and I think that’s probably true for a lot of people.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I can only go off what I see and I wasn't getting great vibes from the trailer that's all. It could still be good and I'll probably go see it, but Chris Hemsworth looks bad and I'm just uninterested in the plot. It of been cool to just have a standalone Furiosa movie where she's doing stuff in the wasteland instead of it being tied directly into her story in Fury Road. I don't care about the green place or her arm etc.

kalel posted:

I went to see the green knight with a former friend and afterwards he complained about the intrusion of the gay agenda in media. because two male characters kiss on the lips.

absolutely no critical thinking at all.

No compaint about the incest handjob tho

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Murdstone posted:

Yeah did anyone here see that? I meant to but i just never did and I think that’s probably true for a lot of people.
I saw it because I was hyped up for another George Miller movie. From what I remember, the costumes were great and that was about it. Didn't really hold my interest at all. But I'm very much looking forward to Furiosa since Fury Road was absolutely sick.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 26, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Trash posted:

He got a classic "god drat it Stephenson why did you write that weird ending?" type Stephenson ending in Diamond Age. Anathem has a normal ending and good closure which I think its important.

Stephenson's works are very hits and miss for me, just like his endings. I would put 2-3 of his books in my top 10 scifi novel list and alot of his works I can't finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Kingo Ligma posted:

The best thing I've watched in ages is a batshit insane series made by the German government to teach the language to immigrants called Nico's Weg.

The combination of deciding to have one continuing story for the entire (massive) course, the needs of it being a language course, and obvious budget constraints have led to an absolutely mental story. I'm only about halfway through but so far:

-A Spanish dude named Nico arrives in Germany and immediately loses his backpack with all his documentation/money/belongings in the back of a taxi.
-He meets a friendly, helpful German lady (extremely unrealistic), and explains that he is coming to stay with his aunt that owns a bike shop. His aunt doesn't know he's coming. He doesn't know where the bike shop is, his aunt's contact details, or her last name.
-The German lady immediately entrusts this strange man with no ID and an insane story with babysitting her young niece. He's also invited to children's parties.
-German ladies dad is a police chief. He believes the story at face value and basically says "poo poo that's bad luck. Well, seeya".
-Several weeks of hijinks then happen which include Nico crashing at German ladies flat and working illegally at a restaurant.
-7 weeks in someone finally uses their phone to google the aunt's bike shop. When they get to the address it's a vacant lot where nothing has ever existed.
-One of the flatmates moves out. Instead of offering Nico the room they interview a bunch of shithouse flatmates. They still kick Nico out.
-A creepy old lady overhears that Nico now has nowhere to live and gives him her address so he can come and live with her.

Anyway, in the episode I just watched he finally found his aunt's bike shop and the two guys who own the restaurant Nico works at are inside robbing it. I assume they knew where it was the entire time and just didn't tell him because they had already planned to burgle it.

This poo poo loving rules.

When I was in high school my German teacher was on his last year of teaching before retirement. We basically just watched WWII movies all year. My favorite was Patton. I did not learn much German.