Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
They have rescued some people, at least.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1772578325329854936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Used to work at the base of that bridge. Hard to overstate how much traffic and shipping will be hosed by this.

I can't imagine the response will be anything but an all-hands GET THAT PORT ACCESS CLEARED from the feds but the bridge itself will take years to replace no matter what

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Another view showing the minute before the crash. A bunch of cars made it off of that section before it got hit, at least.

https://twitter.com/uncutversion123/status/1772568496477704274

Not a Children posted:

Used to work at the base of that bridge. Hard to overstate how much traffic and shipping will be hosed by this.

I can't imagine the response will be anything but an all-hands GET THAT PORT ACCESS CLEARED from the feds but the bridge itself will take years to replace no matter what

How long does it take to install a temporary bridge to span the bay there? That's what they used when they reconstructed the Rt. 40 bridge over the Patapsco a decade ago.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Fuschia tude posted:

How long does it take to install a temporary bridge to span the bay there? That's what they used when they reconstructed the Rt. 40 bridge over the Patapsco a decade ago.

Don't think this is an option here because it's a much longer span and I believe those temporary bridges were supported by the existing bridge structure

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Not a Children posted:

Don't think this is an option here because it's a much longer span and I believe those temporary bridges were supported by the existing bridge structure

There are also alternative routes via the 95 and 895 tunnels and going the northern way around, you could even drive through downtown Baltimore and down to get through,

They might as well tear down the remaining posts and do a whole rebuild or put in yet another tunnel to replace it and increase the size of the ships that can go through.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Not a Children posted:

There's still a whole lot of existing bridge structure; only the suspension section in the middle collapsed.

The first step will have to be determining if they're still structurally sound though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Another view showing the minute before the crash. A bunch of cars made it off of that section before it got hit, at least.

https://twitter.com/uncutversion123/status/1772568496477704274

Ship definitely looks like it completely lost power before impact, strange.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Good thing shipping companies have absolutely enormous liability coverage. I kind of doubt they'd be able to get the cost of a replacement bridge - probably they'd just get the depreciated value of the old one. Better than nothing, though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cat botherer posted:

Good thing shipping companies have absolutely enormous liability coverage. I kind of doubt they'd be able to get the cost of a replacement bridge - probably they'd just get the depreciated value of the old one. Better than nothing, though.

Insurance is gonna ask if they’re sure the bridge just didn’t happen to fall at that exact same moment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cat botherer posted:

The liability seems functionally infinite to me. What is travel across that bridge worth to Baltimore every day? How much is each lost day of traffic worth? Cost to replace may be the least of it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Two things. The bridge carried ALOT of traffic daily. It's one of the major harbor crossings and a heavily used commuter line. The other is that it carried a lot of traffic(various cargo/volatiles/etc) that couldn't use the tunnel crossings instead. I'm guessing most of that traffic is now detoured a considerable distance west now.

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011
Someone a lot more knowledgeable about pilots/shipping than me will need to chime in, but because the boat was under command of the harbor pilot at that point, is the shipping company even liable?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

fridgraidr posted:

Someone a lot more knowledgeable about pilots/shipping than me will need to chime in, but because the boat was under command of the harbor pilot at that point, is the shipping company even liable?

I imagine that could depend on whether the loss of power (and steering?) was caused by improper or insufficient maintenance.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Speaking as an engineer, i don't really think a temporary bridge is feasible if they want to get the port re-opened and i think re-opening the port will probably be the priority. But yes it'll be years before another bridge comes up. The simple span parts held up but the reason they have a truss in the middle is because they need more room between the supports to let boats through and trusses are a lot better over long spans.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Panzeh posted:

The simple span parts held up but the reason they have a truss in the middle is because they need more room between the supports to let boats through and trusses are a lot better over long spans.

Because otherwise you run the risk of a ship striking one of the supports, you see.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fuschia tude posted:

I imagine that could depend on whether the loss of power (and steering?) was caused by improper or insufficient maintenance.

Yeah, they're going to have to determine exactly what happened to the ship before they can start figuring out who's liable and who pays for it

Rust Martialis posted:

Because otherwise you run the risk of a ship striking one of the supports, you see.

Obviously the next one should just run across the whole harbor with no supports

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Two things. The bridge carried ALOT of traffic daily. It's one of the major harbor crossings and a heavily used commuter line. The other is that it carried a lot of traffic(various cargo/volatiles/etc) that couldn't use the tunnel crossings instead. I'm guessing most of that traffic is now detoured a considerable distance west now.

By mileage going the other way around the city, for traffic that is just passing through the state on 95, is actually shorter, but the general traffic congestion on the north/east sides is a lot worse.

Wasn't able to find a source that had numbers on all the harbor crossings from the same year but in 2015 the tunnels had about 193,000 average daily traffic, and the bridge had about 31,500 at an unspecified date. So it's bad but probably not as bad as it could be. Most of that 31,500 can take the tunnels instead, but for the local traffic that was just going from one side of the bridge to the other it's actually a significant detour to go up towards the city, through the tunnel, and back down.

Large trucks and hazmats that are prohibited from using the tunnels are going to have to go all the way around though. Or take surface streets (40/1/2/295), which are technically an option that might even be faster in certain traffic conditions. Well, maybe not the hanover street bridge.

The port is far too important for the channel to stay blocked for very long. I'd be surprised if it takes more than 6 weeks to clear the channel, and it could probably be done in half that long. There's even equipment nearby that is almost certainly going to be employed.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/transportation/baltimore-key-bridge-collapse-shuts-down-port-UWTGE4KLJ5HUXDX2OTEETMW3EY/

quote:

Before shipping can resume into and out of the port, crews will need to pull debris out of the water and clear the 50-foot-deep channel that ships use, said William P. Doyle, a former director of the port who now heads the Dredging and Marine Construction Association of America.

”You’re going to have to pick out the trusses and parts of the bridge that are in the water,” Doyle said. “The channel is going to be closed. That means any of the larger vessels that are in the Inner Harbor Port of Baltimore – inside of the Key Bridge – are going to remain there until further notice. All the other ships coming up the Chesapeake Bay are going to have to go on anchorage or divert to another port.”

Doyle quickly began contacting dredging and marine companies on Tuesday, seeing what equipment is available to help clear the water.

That list includes the Dale Pyatt, the largest crane dredge in the Western Hemisphere, which was used to help free the Ever Forward, a container ship that ran aground and was stuck in the bay for more than a month in 2022. The Dale Pyatt is owned by Cashman Dredging & Marine Contracting Company and is currently anchored in Curtis Bay, Doyle said.

haveblue posted:

Obviously the next one should just run across the whole harbor with no supports

The actual channel isn't all that wide, most of the bay is like 10-15 feet deep and there wouldn't be a port at all if they didn't keep the channel dredged.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Yeah, they're going to have to determine exactly what happened to the ship before they can start figuring out who's liable and who pays for it

The front fell off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

The front fell off.

Is that very typical?

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1772629372421238927

Seems like it could've been way worse, I'd be interested to know how many cars they stopped

Non-bridge related, conservative twitter is in open civil war because the Babylon Bee posted an article that was essentially the "where is your chin" joke from Preacher.
https://twitter.com/paulmrenfro/status/1772627759673524567

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 26, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Ship definitely looks like it completely lost power before impact, strange.

It’s distressingly common. Decades ago as a cadet a containership vessel I was on lost power under the Golden Gate Bridge. The engineers onboard did not find that to be an abnormal event. The original skyway in Tampa came down from a similar collision.

cat botherer posted:

Good thing shipping companies have absolutely enormous liability coverage. I kind of doubt they'd be able to get the cost of a replacement bridge - probably they'd just get the depreciated value of the old one. Better than nothing,

The liability policy will almost certainly have followers. I’d think all the big underwriters will have exposure. Plus I’d bet the vessel owners declaring general average too.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The liability seems functionally infinite to me. What is travel across that bridge worth to Baltimore every day? How much is each lost day of traffic worth? Cost to replace may be the least of it.

Generally consequential losses are excluded by policies.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 26, 2024

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Generally consequential losses are excluded by policies.
Sure, that protects the insurers (and everyone downstream from them), but is everyone who has to buy an extra 5 gallons of gas every week going to have a chance to get compensation from the ship owners?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

zoux posted:

Is that very typical?

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1772629372421238927

Seems like it could've been way worse, I'd be interested to know how many cars they stopped

From the videos it definitely looked like traffic was slowing down a bit before the accident, there were still cars on the bridge but they seemed to be getting fewer.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

watch Stringer Bell start a war

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Well, it's unfair if we just give Trump a sweetheart deal. Gotta help the smaller, salt-of-the-earth crooks too!"

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/03/25/ken-paxton-plea-deal-securities-fraud-felony/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That Paxton deal leaked the other day and they might as well have just dropped the charges with how much of a joke that ‘deal’ is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm real mad about it myself. Especially since he's going to go out of his way to flout the requirements of the deal because apparently the guy just likes to shove his lawlessness in our faces.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1772672463790547271

Good, and also, lol. Even Chuck Todd joined the rebellion.

https://twitter.com/TVNewsNow/status/1771913094257594809

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 26, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Mildly amusing that this is the time people on NBC drew the line on hiring of some shithead

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
To be fair, "lied in furtherance of a conspiracy to overturn valid election results" seems like a reasonable place to draw a line.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Yeah, I'm real mad about it myself. Especially since he's going to go out of his way to flout the requirements of the deal because apparently the guy just likes to shove his lawlessness in our faces.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1772672463790547271

Good, and also, lol. Even Chuck Todd joined the rebellion.

https://twitter.com/TVNewsNow/status/1771913094257594809

i suspect alot of people in the media(reporters, anchors/journalists/some manegment) rightfully hate the GOP and all that poo poo but the dipshits at the top keep trying because they think "this time, no no, this time, we will get fox views".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SCOTUS took oral arguments on the 5th Circuit's* ruling banning mifepristone, and everyone except the two you'd expect were baffled by it.
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1772641995359457447

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1772713200691069132

The legal commentators I follow tend to be pretty circumspect about divining things from oral argument tea leaves but today everyone is saying the case is cooked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The 5th Circuit is honestly an embarrassment to the entire judiciary

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Plus I’d bet the vessel owners declaring general average too.

Hoo boy there's a complex subject

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

SCOTUS took oral arguments on the 5th Circuit's* ruling banning mifepristone, and everyone except the two you'd expect were baffled by it.
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1772641995359457447

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1772713200691069132

The legal commentators I follow tend to be pretty circumspect about divining things from oral argument tea leaves but today everyone is saying the case is cooked.

SCOTUS/smart GOP judges wants awful poo poo but they prefer to nibble around the edges of stuff for years/decades until either they defacto win or can finish what they want off with some support. the issue is the 5th circut are a bunch of true believer nut jobs who want to have their big revolutionary chud win from the bench and then give no cover for the poo poo at all. the 5th keeps forcing their hands because they think this poo poo is deeply supported and will just be declared the winner.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 26, 2024

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
If the federal government threw all of its weight behind rebuilding/replacing that bridge in Baltimore, how quickly could it get done? I'm curious what the quickest possible turnaround would be with current tech.

I assume in our current political landscape, it will take significantly longer if it gets done at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the case of the I-35 bridge collapse in MN, it happened on August 1 2007, and the replacement bridge was opened 13 months later. Seems like it was a lot smaller than the Key bridge though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Seven Hackers Associated with Chinese Government Charged with Computer Intrusions Targeting Perceived Critics of China and U.S. Businesses and Politicians
Defendants Operated as Part of the APT31 Hacking Group in Support of China’s Ministry of State Security’s Transnational Repression, Economic Espionage and Foreign Intelligence Objectives

quote:

An indictment was unsealed today charging seven nationals of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) with conspiracy to commit computer intrusions and conspiracy to commit wire fraud for their involvement in a PRC-based hacking group that spent approximately 14 years targeting U.S. and foreign critics, businesses, and political officials in furtherance of the PRC’s economic espionage and foreign intelligence objectives.
[...]
As alleged in the indictment and court filings, the defendants, along with dozens of identified PRC Ministry of State Security (MSS) intelligence officers, contractor hackers, and support personnel, were members of a hacking group operating in the PRC and known within the cybersecurity community as Advanced Persistent Threat 31 (the APT31 Group). The APT31 Group was part of a cyberespionage program run by the MSS’s Hubei State Security Department, located in the city of Wuhan. Through their involvement with the APT31 Group, since at least 2010, the defendants conducted global campaigns of computer hacking targeting political dissidents and perceived supporters located inside and outside of China, government and political officials, candidates, and campaign personnel in the United States and elsewhere and American companies.

The defendants and others in the APT31 Group targeted thousands of U.S. and foreign individuals and companies. Some of this activity resulted in successful compromises of the targets’ networks, email accounts, cloud storage accounts, and telephone call records, with some surveillance of compromised email accounts lasting many years.

Hacking Scheme

The more than 10,000 malicious emails that the defendants and others in the APT31 Group sent to these targets often appeared to be from prominent news outlets or journalists and appeared to contain legitimate news articles. The malicious emails contained hidden tracking links, such that if the recipient simply opened the email, information about the recipient, including the recipient’s location, internet protocol (IP) addresses, network schematics, and specific devices used to access the pertinent email accounts, was transmitted to a server controlled by the defendants and those working with them. The defendants and others in the APT31 Group then used this information to enable more direct and sophisticated targeted hacking, such as compromising the recipients’ home routers and other electronic devices.

The defendants and others in the APT31 Group also sent malicious tracking-link emails to government officials across the world who expressed criticism of the PRC government. For example, in or about 2021, the conspirators targeted the email accounts of various foreign government individuals who were part of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China (IPAC), a group founded in 2020 on the anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests whose stated purpose was to counter the threats posed by the Chinese Communist Party to the international order and democratic principles. The targets included every European Union member of IPAC, and 43 United Kingdom parliamentary accounts, most of whom were members of IPAC or had been outspoken on topics relating to the PRC government.

[...]

The targeted U.S. government officials included individuals working in the White House, at the Departments of Justice, Commerce, Treasury, and State, and U.S. Senators and Representatives of both political parties. The defendants and others in the APT31 Group targeted these individuals at both professional and personal email addresses. Additionally in some cases, the defendants also targeted victims’ spouses, including the spouses of a high-ranking Department of Justice official, high-ranking White House officials, and multiple U.S. Senators. Targets also included election campaign staff from both major U.S. political parties in advance of the 2020 election.

[...]

The defendants and others in the APT31 Group also targeted individuals and dozens of companies operating in areas of national economic importance, including the defense, information technology, telecommunications, manufacturing and trade, finance, consulting, legal, and research industries. The defendants and others in the APT31 Group hacked and attempted to hack dozens of companies or entities operating in these industries, including multiple cleared defense contractors who provide products and services to the U.S. military, multiple managed service providers who managed the computer networks and security for other companies, a leading provider of 5G network equipment, and a leading global provider of wireless technology, among many others.

[...]

The defendants and the APT31 Group also targeted individual dissidents around the world and other individuals who were perceived as supporting such dissidents. For example, in 2018, after several activists who spearheaded Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement were nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, the defendants and the APT31 Group targeted Norwegian government officials and a Norwegian managed service provider. The conspirators also successfully compromised Hong Kong pro-democracy activists and their associates located in Hong Kong, the United States, and other foreign locations with identical malware.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Blind Pineapple posted:

If the federal government threw all of its weight behind rebuilding/replacing that bridge in Baltimore, how quickly could it get done? I'm curious what the quickest possible turnaround would be with current tech.

I assume in our current political landscape, it will take significantly longer if it gets done at all.

In WWII they were able to construct bridges across rivers that could handle tanks in half an hour. Granted those bridges weren't required to also allow shipping, and I doubt they're as wide as the bay span, and it was using equipment already prepared for that purpose, but stuff can be built fast. There's lots of tons of steel in a hazardous and unstable configuration with dangerous currents that need to be removed first, too.

If cost was no obstacle and no effort was spared while still doing it safely I think it could theoretically be done in a few months. More likely I expect they get a survey done in a few weeks, they clear a narrow channel that allows partial operation in a month or two, and clear it out completely after a year. It'll probably take another year or two for a replacement bridge to be completed, assuming no holdups.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

The closest analog I can think of is the Tampa Skyway bridge collapse back in 1980. Similar incident of a ship taking out a support and collapsing a huge chunk of the span. Construction on the replacement started in January 1983 and took until the end of April in 1987 to re-open. Bizarrely enough the reopening ceremony was delayed when a shrimp boat lost control and hit the new bridge's protective bumpers.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Quantum Cat posted:

The closest analog I can think of is the Tampa Skyway bridge collapse back in 1980. Similar incident of a ship taking out a support and collapsing a huge chunk of the span. Construction on the replacement started in January 1983 and took until the end of April in 1987 to re-open. Bizarrely enough the reopening ceremony was delayed when a shrimp boat lost control and hit the new bridge's protective bumpers.

loving Forest Gump gets has to show up in everything, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Quantum Cat posted:

I'm also curious what kind of timeline is there to clear the debris and reopen the harbor. Unless it's changed I'm fairly certain every major port (and all the docked ships) in the Baltimore area are locked behind that bridge debris until it's cleared.