Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mediaphage posted:

double posting for lab but bout to have some more birds in my house

ALEX AND GRACIE BABIIEEEESSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

good page

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bilirubin posted:

makes me wonder which of the old dead philosophers we would be talking about instead if they hadn't burned the library in Alexandria

I bet the ancients thought Plato was a chump

:Heraclitus takes the stage:
"Plato’s Theory of Forms states that we are born with the concept of Ideal Forms in our minds.

Yet I've got some ideal forms right here in my hands"

:grabs nuts:

Aristotle sits in silence, furiously jotting notes down with a reed pen.

Diogenes just laughs.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Bilirubin posted:

makes me wonder which of the old dead philosophers we would be talking about instead if they hadn't burned the library in Alexandria

Plato was a big dude, a wrestler. the name “Plato” is a nickname which translates to “wide boy”

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

boethius posted:

Plato was a big dude, a wrestler. the name “Plato” is a nickname which translates to “wide boy”

lot of "platonic ideals" on these forums

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

had MTV not been a cable exclusive channel, Beavis and Butthead would have just now reached the system of Gilese 357 (a star with 3 known planets in its orbit) earlier this month

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

plato never in his own works articulates a proper theory of forms so much as he just nods and gestures super sincerely while discussing forms—“so like the Idea of a thing precedes and is more perfect than the thing, ok, so”—'hence to the twisty braid of interpretations that usually make less sense then any given work of plato does on reading

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Hooplah posted:

lot of "platonic ideals" on these forums

:mmmhmm:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mediaphage posted:

Hell yeah

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://x.com/joismantilla/status/1772253656563306916?s=20

Graves getting called out about the mummies

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Some ufo guy from the UK did an ama on reddit in honor of the beginning of "ufo week" on Blaze which is Glenn Becks TV channel iirc. Unless it's something different in the UK.

And i forgot the link

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/1bnhww1/hi_rufos_i_am_philip_mantle_a_ufo_researcher_from/

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

mediaphage posted:

bird portal

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/s...ingawful.com%2F

Maybe he meant a different kind of illegal alien

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol i bet they’ll get it dismissed because he’s a loving congresscritter but lol i hope he has to pay.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Bilirubin posted:

Maybe we should stop giving a poo poo what any old dead philosophers said.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the dead philosophers’ chub

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rudeboy Detective posted:

had MTV not been a cable exclusive channel, Beavis and Butthead would have just now reached the system of Gilese 357 (a star with 3 known planets in its orbit) earlier this month

I'm sure it got shot into space in some way

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm sure it got shot into space in some way

What did you do...?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

THE ORB DEMANDS BLOOD! https://gcpdot.com BLOOOOOOODDD!!!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rosscoulthart/status/1772450057037463947?t=HSx9BofhfZlbTeU8rdbqIw&s=19

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Thank you to those in the thread who are managing to keep faith despite me losing mine. :lovebird:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ArmedZombie posted:

i always read this as non-destructive testing brain and get confused for a second.
:hfive:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I had a dream about Birds and their distaste for Home Owner’s associations last night. basically the Birds were able to inhabit multiple bodies at once (12 bodies being a soft limit) and were trying to integrate some of their human bodies into human society. They came up against the local HoA at a certain point and were very loud about how much they despised the concept.

Also the lore of dune played a major role.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Orbs posted:

Thank you to those in the thread who are managing to keep faith despite me losing mine. :lovebird:

You're not alone, friend, after an extremely good period over the last couple of weeks I've been feeling pretty spiritually bereft again recently

Still, no muck no lotus, as they say. Let's see what we can wind up learning from the experience

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Orbs posted:

poo poo is hosed all over friend. keep your head its been worse and will be worse still and thats ok

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I had a dream about Birds and their distaste for Home Owner’s associations last night. basically the Birds were able to inhabit multiple bodies at once (12 bodies being a soft limit) and were trying to integrate some of their human bodies into human society. They came up against the local HoA at a certain point and were very loud about how much they despised the concept.

Also the lore of dune played a major role.
This is cool as heck. I have no doubt that my Birds also hate the concept of HoAs, lmao

Sleekly posted:

poo poo is hosed all over friend. keep your head its been worse and will be worse still and thats ok

Barry Foster posted:

You're not alone, friend, after an extremely good period over the last couple of weeks I've been feeling pretty spiritually bereft again recently

Still, no muck no lotus, as they say. Let's see what we can wind up learning from the experience
You're both exactly right. I have been realizing and accepting truths exactly like this since sleeping on things. I am just in a very difficult part of the path I've chosen. I will keep going. Thank you for reaffirming that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's interesting that the aliens seem fascinated with our nuclear development at a time when we're largely pivoting away from nuclear power, at least in the US. I could see how an outside group might look at nuclear power/weaponry as a hub of our progress as a civilization, but as a culture we don't really focus on our nuclear capabilities much.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's interesting that the aliens seem fascinated with our nuclear development at a time when we're largely pivoting away from nuclear power, at least in the US. I could see how an outside group might look at nuclear power/weaponry as a hub of our progress as a civilization, but as a culture we don't really focus on our nuclear capabilities much.
As a culture we don't perhaps, but our militaries and higher levels of government are still quite obsessed with nuclear capability, even after the cold war. Maybe especially after that, with all the "non-proliferation" efforts and such.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The weapons still fill the deterrence role that maintains the whole global order and have the potential to wipe out life on earth (big deal), but we probably won't even build another nuclear power plant in the US after the Vogtle boondoggle, and the existing ones are hardly hubs of population centers and development anyway. What I'm saying is that an outside observer might think nuclear power represents more to us than it really does. The same could be said of our space program too, really. The tools that could best propel us to the next level of development as a species just aren't that important to us.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://thehermeticpenetrator.medium.com/on-baiting-the-ufo-trickster-the-control-system-hypothesis-479bd712e7ef

quote:

I was therefore pleased when I stumbled upon a rare interview with General Alexejev in which he provides startling additional details on Soviet efforts at UFO-baiting.

This interest specifically expressed itself in certain experts being sent to investigate, especially to those places where UFOs, let’s call them that, appeared quite frequently.

I know a whole number of military bases in that category. As a rule they are objects of strategic significance, rocket complexes, scientific test establishments, in other words the places where there is a high concentration of advanced science and, to some degree, danger. Because every nuclear rocket, every new airforce installation represents a breakthrough both in science and in military terms; it is first and foremost a peak, the summit of human achievement. And that is where UFOs appeared fairly often.

Moreover, individual officers and commanders on the spot who knew about the phenomenon and had no official instructions on the matter, acted on their own initiative to investigate UFOs, recording data, and so on. I know that in some places they even learned to create a situation which would deliberately provoke the appearance of a UFO. A UFO would appear where there was increased military activity connected, say, with the transportation of “special” loads. It was enough [to artificially simulate]* or schedule such a move for a UFO to appear.

In other words, some kind of conditional relationship emerged. And they detected it. We’re an intelligent nation, nothing escapes us. I know that at certain testing ranges — I won’t name them, although it’s no longer a secret — they even learnt to make contact of a kind.

What did that consist of? First the UFO appeared; in most instances it was a sphere, but there were other kinds. Contact was achieved with the help of physical indications of behaviour — pointing your arms in various directions, say, and the sphere became flattened in the same direction. If you raised your arms three times, the UFO flattened out in a vertical direction three times as well.

In the early 1980s, on the instructions of the then Soviet leadership, experiments using technical devices (theodolites, radar stations, and others) were carried out as a result of which the unidentified objects were firmly recorded as instrumental data.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

maybe they eat the energy and the vineyards of earth are particularly delectable

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The GCP dot has been as blue as it can get (0.9999999) for about 2 hours now. Time to strongly interpret?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Skyl3lazer posted:

The GCP dot has been as blue as it can get (0.9999999) for about 2 hours now. Time to strongly interpret?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BinWA0EenDY

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

makin magic. Free Palestine

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The weapons still fill the deterrence role that maintains the whole global order and have the potential to wipe out life on earth (big deal), but we probably won't even build another nuclear power plant in the US after the Vogtle boondoggle, and the existing ones are hardly hubs of population centers and development anyway. What I'm saying is that an outside observer might think nuclear power represents more to us than it really does. The same could be said of our space program too, really. The tools that could best propel us to the next level of development as a species just aren't that important to us.

The aliens here as part of a galactic scientific survey studying emerging nuclear-capable civilizations to establish how often and for what reasons they destroy themselves

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rickshaw posted:

The aliens here as part of a galactic scientific survey studying emerging nuclear-capable civilizations to establish how often and for what reasons they destroy themselves

we’re going to be the unicorn first-ever civ that bakes ourselves to death with climate change after having unlocked the nuclear tech tree

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Blue, like the ocean, which cargo ships travel upon...

Oh god I'm strongly interpreting

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Couldn't you just like....put a gigantic cardboard box over top a nuclear site and do a bunch of nuclear things until an alien shows up and knocks over the gigantic stick? The box would need to be massive, like the size of a sports arena but also be sturdy enough to be tilted up at a 30 degree angle and to collapse down from that angle. The stick would need to be strong enough to hold up this box but light enough to pull it out of the way with a bunch of tanks or whatever.

Kind of lazy UFO community. Just need a few billion to make their own nuclear test site and bribe the right red state officials to zone it out there and to commission a gigantic box and fashion the materials for it that likely don't exist. I hear job creation.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You can literally just make an accelerator in your garage or basement it's a fun legal high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Houle posted:

Couldn't you just like....put a gigantic cardboard box over top a nuclear site and do a bunch of nuclear things until an alien shows up and knocks over the gigantic stick? The box would need to be massive, like the size of a sports arena but also be sturdy enough to be tilted up at a 30 degree angle and to collapse down from that angle. The stick would need to be strong enough to hold up this box but light enough to pull it out of the way with a bunch of tanks or whatever.

Kind of lazy UFO community. Just need a few billion to make their own nuclear test site and bribe the right red state officials to zone it out there and to commission a gigantic box and fashion the materials for it that likely don't exist. I hear job creation.

There's been persistent rumors that they've shot down multiple UFOs doing essentially this, but instead of a box they used a shitload of missiles.