Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Trump as the Emperor works because both are decaying corpses that spend all their time on a golden throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Orks are legit funny as poo poo and own

I’ve scratched my warhammer itch by watching Total War Warhammer on youtube, one of the fun things about orks/goblins is that while the units will break and run away fairly easily, they also rally easily so you get this emergent gameplay where half the orks run, turn around and charge back in in waves

its pure chaos and highly entertaining

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Never played Warhammer, but somehow ended up with youtube recommendations filled with WH40K content. A particular favorite is Arbitor Ian, a guy who started making a 40k lore channel specifically because he was tired of how so many of the other lore channel seemed to be run by guys who were kinda secretly cheering for the fascism of the setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqcv3KJpTZE

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
currently reading a wh40k book where a black guy is named tyrhone

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Racism aside, gotta love how 40,000 years in the future they're still using variations of names from our era, just spelled dumb.

Yndonesia
Merica
Sammuel
Ejipt
Randy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

Racism aside, gotta love how 40,000 years in the future they're still using variations of names from our era, just spelled dumb.

Yndonesia
Merica
Sammuel
Ejipt
Randy

the warhammer lore is extrmeely lazy cause the original creators just made some random poo poo up for as to why their fun fantasy and space fantasy armies were fighting. see: the whfb map is literally just earth but a little wonky. the empire is basically just the holy roman empire. brettonia is 13th c france, etc. part of that was because they werent making hella bank on models yet, and you had to be able to find sculpts from mostly historicals

the fact that gw stuck with it and doubled and tripled down on it instead of retconning poo poo is because their idiot fans took it too seripously

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Garviel recalled the ancient hieroglyphics of Blahndii and her gluttonous husband, Daggwoud. These teachings, alongside the deeds of The Horrible Haggar and Chyalrlee Bron, gave insight into the terrors within the hearts of men.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

Poohs Packin posted:

I was at the mall with my wife and she had to buy some clothes and suggested I go "hang out at the warhammer store or something".

Ive never played or shown any interest in WH40k.

Time for a divorce to be honest. She got your rear end.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Your wife sounds p cool op

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The primarch of the world eaters, the angriest chaos space Marines, is named Angron because the bouncer at a pub the founders went to was called Angry Ron

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Obiwan Sherlock Cluseau

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Benagain posted:

The primarch of the world eaters, the angriest chaos space Marines, is named Angron because the bouncer at a pub the founders went to was called Angry Ron

I really hope this is true.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think they came back, but they now mainly fly on one man blimp steampunk slash futuretech things as their main gimmick.

Those are the fantasy dwarves, the sci fi dwarves are ice road truckers that drive hover bikes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the wh fantasy dwarves seem pretty drat cool compared to d&d dwarves or tolkein dwarves, who seem kind of sad and overly solemn in comparison. warhammer dwarves have cool tattoos and punk haircuts and crazy inventions and seem to have a more chaotic vibe. but i dont know anything about their lore maybe they are assholes or something

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Earwicker posted:

the wh fantasy dwarves seem pretty drat cool compared to d&d dwarves or tolkein dwarves, who seem kind of sad and overly solemn in comparison. warhammer dwarves have cool tattoos and punk haircuts and crazy inventions and seem to have a more chaotic vibe. but i dont know anything about their lore maybe they are assholes or something

they got a book of grudges or something which gives them a real adult angry at getting spurned in elementary school vibe

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Eclipse12 posted:

Yndonesia
Merica
Sammuel
Ejipt
Randy
I mean those are just the actual places on Earth. I love pre-Imperium bizarro Earth nonsense. Like look at this stuff.

quote:

Hy Brasil was a powerful techno-barbarian state centred in the former territory of ancient Brazil on the continent of Sud Merica. Hy Brasil was considered the most powerful of all the Sud Merican cantons.

quote:

The Roma were organised mercenary fliers who fought for the forces of Ursh. Highly-skilled pilots, they were said to never touch the earth beneath them. They were trained to carry out pinpoint aerial attacks, and were therefore of great value to the generals of Ursh.

quote:

He had been circling for ten months. Ten months, and eighteen identities, most of them so authentic they had fooled Unified Biometric Verification. He’d faked out three blind trails to throw them off his scent, one into the Slovakian fiefs, one to Kaspia and the Nord Reaches, and the other a meandering route down through the Tirol to the Dolomite Shrines overlooking the Pit of Venezia. He’d overwintered in Boocuresti Hive, and crossed the Black Sea Basin by cargo spinner during the first week of ice-ebb. At Bilhorod, he had turned back on himself to lose an unwanted tail. He had spent three weeks hiding in a disused manufactory in Mesopotamia, preparing his next move.

Then they turned the entire Himalayan plateau into a palace

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Earwicker posted:

Fantasy dwarfs are absurdly-traditionalist and adverse to change to the point where it constantly undermines their society and drives them into conflicts for pitiable reasons. They also keep a record of every offense committed against their kind by others, which also pushes them into costly wars over their desire to avenge the stupidest grudges imaginable.

But part of what makes warham fantasy fun is that all the factions have lovely aspects to their societies: The Empire is chock full of power-hungry despots and horrible religious zealots; Kislev is a "greatest hits" of Tsarist Russia destitution mixed with Stalinist secret police shenanigans; Bretonnia loves starving peasants; Elves...can't go fifteen minutes without affirming their race supremacy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Benagain posted:

The primarch of the Iron Hands is named Ferrus Manus

The primarch of the Raven Guard is named Corvus Corax

10/10 names in 40k overall.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Eclipse12 posted:

I really hope this is true.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The primarch of the Iron Hands is named Ferrus Manus

The primarch of the Raven Guard is named Corvus Corax

10/10 names in 40k overall.

the primarch of the dark angels is named lion el'johnson

after the poet lionel johnson.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Benagain posted:

the primarch of the dark angels is named lion el'johnson

after the poet lionel johnson.

(writer of the poem "Dark Angel")

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Lizardmen are the founders of space travel and uplifted most of the current races because the pub Angry Ron bounced at had a gecko in an astronaut outfit as it's mascot.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

What kind of person coukd envisage such a bleak, hopeless and absurd dystopian future?

Oh the British.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

So it's the year 40,000.999.

41k when?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The leader of the imperium is a demigod called Row Boat.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Eclipse12 posted:

So it's the year 40,000.999.

41k when?

I believe they're already on M42 in the timeline. They're just keeping the 40k name because they know you can't improve on it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Earwicker posted:

Squats were the dwarves in 1st edition 40k, they were just as chaotic and cool and punk. They got rid of them in 2nd edition because they weren't "serious" enough and didn't "fit the setting"

They're back but they stopped smoking cigars and carving swear words into walls so I can't relate to them anymore

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Mr Teatime posted:

What kind of person coukd envisage such a bleak, hopeless and absurd dystopian future?

Oh the British.

iirc it began as a satirical comment on the thatcher government

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Punkinhead posted:

Squats were the dwarves in 1st edition 40k, they were just as chaotic and cool and punk. They got rid of them in 2nd edition because they weren't "serious" enough and didn't "fit the setting"

They're back but they stopped smoking cigars and carving swear words into walls so I can't relate to them anymore

pretty much the entire problem with warhams

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Noise Marines ftw

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Do they, like, actually have a hammer, but it’s in space

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Yes

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

well, that sounds quite good

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

in Redwall 40,000?

yeah, there's owls

Praise Mouse!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

currently reading a wh40k book where a black guy is named tyrhone

rly?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

did anyone link astartes yet cause its really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqgt_CPcZMQ

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Where do the mandalorian and baby Yoda fit into all of this?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There are only 40,000 war hammers in the whole universe, and this is what all battles are fought over. They need those hammers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LanceHunter posted:

I believe they're already on M42 in the timeline. They're just keeping the 40k name because they know you can't improve on it.

It's also canon that they can't actually agree on what year it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Ham warmer