Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

the process of building a hegemony is extremely bloody, but things do tend to be more peaceful while they last. A bit of a pradoxical knot to untangle.

I always remember this paper I read years ago now discussing the idea of Peace in IR Theory and tracing it back to Rome:

quote:

Canonical texts in international relations define peace as the absence of violence (Aron 1973, 21; Bull 2012, 18; Clausewitz 1976, 75; Waltz 1959, 1; 1979, 343). However, a glance at the philology of the word “peace” reveals a more complex relationship with violence. The Latin words for peace (pax, pacis, paco) trace their roots to the verb for a pact (pacisci), “which ended a war and led to submission, friendship, or alliance.” As Rome transitioned from republic to empire, pax changed its meaning from a pact among equals to submission to Rome, and “pacare began to refer to conquest” (Weinstock 1960, 45).1

Two monuments built by Augustus, the first Roman Emperor, record this shift in the meaning of peace. The first, the Ara Pacis Augustae, a monument to the goddess of peace, commemorates Augustus’s pacification of Gaul and Spain (Kleiner 2005, 212). The second, the funerary inscription Res Gestae Divi Augusti, appeared on Augustus’s tomb and celebrates his many accomplishments, including bringing peace to the sea, Gaul, Spain, and the Alps. Crucially, the term used to characterize this peace is pacavi, which means pacified. Pacavi is not the absence of violence but the use of violence to reorder the world into a Roman Empire. Thus, Pax Romana meant eliminating the threat of war—both civil and foreign—through the preponderance of Roman military might.

Steven Pinker, who was rightly poo poo on a week or two ago now, benefits a lot from using such a definition of peace. Everything is more peaceful now because everything is more pacified now. This seems to be how a lot of folks see the world and it's kinda funny this is another legacy of Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We're definitely making some deserts.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

Only just.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MeatRocket8 posted:

Movies never show barbarians with moustaches. Probably because it would look too modern. But moustaches were definitely popular among them.

Are there any sources about the type of mustaches favoured by the barbarians? Were they about size or is there an embarassing (in hind sight) couple of centuries where transalpine Gaul was a sea of toothbrush mustaches?

Halloween Jack posted:

Why shouldn't the Visigoths look like Hawkwind?

Lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm making chicken.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Are there any sources about the type of mustaches favoured by the barbarians? Were they about size or is there an embarassing (in hind sight) couple of centuries where transalpine Gaul was a sea of toothbrush mustaches?

Lol

Unless they were using gas masks in ancient Verdun I doubt they'd need the toothbrush.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Elissimpark posted:

Lol

https://hermitsdoor.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/img_2588.jpg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I was just about to bring up Asterix, which makes a point of contrasting the Gauls' preferred cultural dress with the Romans, among others. It's even something the Romans themselves pointed out iirc; that statue of Vercingetorix (I cannot believe I actually spelled that right the first time while flat out guessing) having a mustache that's almost unheard of otherwise on Roman sculpture, but presumably it'd be ridiculous to sculpt a famous Gaul without it.

Also kinda funny since it comes the other way around; clean-shaven, neatly cut Romans contrast with the long-haired, bearded barbarians (and yet you can also see both of them having all kinds of levels of vanity, style and preferences even within those stereotypes). Vikings are probably the usual mainstream exceptions there.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Moustaches are one thing, but didn't they also put chalk in their hair and spike it up?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Not chalk but they'd bleach their hair with lime.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kassad posted:

Not chalk but they'd bleach their hair with lime.

Some tribes are known as 'limeys' to this day.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Lol

Don’t think i’ve read any ancient roman historians give specifics, just passing references.

But here’s some ancient rear end staches:

The Dying Gaul of course

The Ludovisi Battle Sarcophagus

Barbarian chieftain mosaic in the great palace

Coin of Odoacer:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's even something the Romans themselves pointed out iirc; that statue of Vercingetorix
Uh, the one made in 1865, or the one made in 1903? :raise:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

MeatRocket8 posted:

Don’t think i’ve read any ancient roman historians give specifics, just passing references.

But here’s some ancient rear end staches:

The Dying Gaul of course

The Ludovisi Battle Sarcophagus

Barbarian chieftain mosaic in the great palace

Coin of Odoacer:

It's starting to feel a bit less Hawkwind and a bit more Let It Be era Beatles.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s important to note most of those are trimmed off the lip. Seems rather modern hip.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I get it. There's some luscious Cupid's-bow kissers on those dudes and I'd be loathe to cover that up

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lol, but you mixed up Paul and Ringo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sullat posted:

Unless they were using gas masks in ancient Verdun I doubt they'd need the toothbrush.

I'm not sure that's it because WW1 Hitler had one hell of a soup strainer.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine if Hitler had a soul patch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When did we start naming ships

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zoux posted:

Probably the day after we started building them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

I blame the argonauts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What kind of things were Phoenician snail traders calling their vessels?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zoux posted:

Around the 90's. It started with x-files fans.

Oh wait this isn't the romance history thread

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zoux posted:

"Move, you Worthless Pile of poo poo!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Around the 90's. It started with x-files fans.

Oh wait this isn't the romance history thread

Also you're factually wrong, it started in the 60s

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
'slash' itself was originally a name for a ship, spock slash kirk

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zoux posted:

Probably the same types of things people named their ships today just like people named their pet dogs similar things back then compared to now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Probably the same types of things people named their ships today just like people named their pet dogs similar things back then compared to now.

So, mostly puns

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
We know the names of at least two Athenian triremes, which were used as official messenger ships and are therefore well represented in the literary record. One was called Paralus, named after a son of Poseidon, and the other was called Salaminia, probably named after the Battle of Salamis. I think that other triremes were also named, but their names don't come up very often in the sources.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
It would make sense for boats to have names, especially big, important ones like triremes. Ships take a lot of effort to build and maintain, and that effort is usually toward a specific intentional purpose. That's the kind of endeavor that always seems to make humans want to go "we should name this thing, this great complex endeavor we're doing."

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Orbs posted:

It would make sense for boats to have names, especially big, important ones like triremes. Ships take a lot of effort to build and maintain, and that effort is usually toward a specific intentional purpose. That's the kind of endeavor that always seems to make humans want to go "we should name this thing, this great complex endeavor we're doing."

Yeah names for objects go way back. The Sumerian king Gudea is known for commissioning a bunch of inscribed statues of himself, and they generally have specific names. One of them (Statue D) was named "The king whose immense power no foreign country can withstand."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see my stele is raising a lot of questions answered by my stele

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

'slash' itself was originally a name for a ship, spock slash kirk

Yeah but they didnt call it a 'ship' or 'shipping'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Orbs posted:

"we should name this thing, this great complex endeavor we're doing."

"This... This enterprise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Were ancient ships named?

quote:

Possibly the earliest evidence of an individual ship name is the vessel Praise of the Two Lands, a large Egyptian vessel made of cedar wood, built ca. 2680 B.C.