Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I wonder how much liability the shipping company will bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

Honestly, I hope they pull it off.

There's some precedent:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1772629069508538546?t=PKKDZCmYdelkGB44JRJy9A&s=19

An awful lot of non-blue state poo poo depends on that port being open and having a bridge over it, so it might not be a huge food fight. The big question will be if the new governor and Biden bypass a lot of the site inspection and environmental reviews to get the drat thing re-built. Or, if they decide to build a better bridge and eat the extra delays.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

None, ship ownership is shell gamed like crazy to minimize liability to rich people when poo poo like this happens. Some Grand Caymans corporation with $20 in assets is the legal bagholder here.

facialimpediment posted:

There's some precedent:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1772629069508538546?t=PKKDZCmYdelkGB44JRJy9A&s=19

An awful lot of non-blue state poo poo depends on that port being open and having a bridge over it, so it might not be a huge food fight. The big question will be if the new governor and Biden bypass a lot of the site inspection and environmental reviews to get the drat thing re-built. Or, if they decide to build a better bridge and eat the extra delays.

Pubbies will only vote for it if Biden agrees to build a border wall in Texas too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

There's some precedent:

I think the best case scenario might look more like the Ravenel bridge in charleston, it was about 4 years from groundbreaking to opening day. 35W didn't have a shipping channel to work around either.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's gagged again, but this time for his criminal trial:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1772702126126276856?t=iLIyqAbsGjvsjdKM48t-vA&s=19

NYT posted:

The New York judge presiding over one of Donald J. Trump’s criminal trials imposed a gag order on Tuesday that prohibits him from attacking witnesses, prosecutors and jurors, the latest effort to rein in the former president’s wrathful rhetoric about his legal opponents.

The judge, Juan M. Merchan, imposed the order at the request of the Manhattan district attorney’s office, which brought the case against Mr. Trump. The district attorney, Alvin L. Bragg, has accused Mr. Trump of covering up a potential sex scandal during and after his 2016 campaign.

And why this actually matters and has teeth: this is a criminal trial, not civil bullshit. Donnie could actually get jailtime if he doesn't shut up. And a fun example:

quote:

In a rambling and angry post on his social media site on Tuesday, Mr. Trump made an ominous reference to Mr. Cohen, claiming without explanation that his former fixer was “death.” He also referred to one of Mr. Bragg’s prosecutors in pejorative terms.

Both comments would now arguably violate the gag order. In another post, Mr. Trump took aim at Justice Merchan and his family, claiming that the judge “hates me,” though those comments do not appear to cross the line the judge has now set.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

More:
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1772700427286364180?t=q4KXxHD0nyHhI-RBGG2pXQ&s=19

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
itd be pretty lovely if donald got elected again, but imagining him being the president in jail is funny

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

itd be pretty lovely if donald got elected again, but imagining him being the president in jail is funny
That's just an insult to Eugene V. Debs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

That's just an insult to Eugene V. Debs.

So contentious a person he sued his last name

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not that much, there are pretty strict statutory limitations on liability in shipping.

That specific ship isn’t shell corp’d either so it’s going to be a lot. Hundreds of mills but not billions.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Do any of you get tired of "ah well nevertheless"ing Trump news? Nothing bad will happen to him

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Do any of you get tired of "ah well nevertheless"ing Trump news? Nothing bad will happen to him

We all lose in the end. And he's closer to the end than anyone else here.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soul Dentist posted:

Let me ask you a question in response, which also informs why I post stuff.

Do you think Donald Trump is having a good time?

https://twitter.com/3YearLetterman/status/1772721727623028920?t=88pSUONrV_gvdIQ41uZ3Bw&s=19

From the makers of Trump shoes, it's the GOD BLESS THE USA BIBLE, $60 and includes a copy of the declaration of independence, the constitution, the bill of rights, and the lyrics to God Bless The USA! Only $60! Cheap! Endorsed by Donald Trump*!

*'s pocketbook (he gets a royalty cut)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's been almost 9 years since the escalator - do we still have to feel bad for people who have been conned into buying his poo poo to subsidize his legal fees?

At this point, the Social Security Administration should just cut out the middle men and starting writing the checks to his defense attorneys directly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If Trump IS held in contempt for violating the gag and/or regular ol' contempt of court, what IS a plausible punishment? Is there any "sit your rear end in jail overnight" option without some paltry bond he could just pay and be right back out?

facialimpediment posted:

Let me ask you a question in response, which also informs why I post stuff.

https://twitter.com/3YearLetterman/status/1772721727623028920?t=88pSUONrV_gvdIQ41uZ3Bw&s=19

From the makers of Trump shoes, it's the GOD BLESS THE USA BIBLE, $60 and includes a copy of the declaration of independence, the constitution, the bill of rights, and the lyrics to God Bless The USA! Only $60! Cheap! Endorsed by Donald Trump*!

*'s pocketbook (he gets a royalty cut)

To the first point, and I never used to be this way, but I hope every waking moment of that fat gently caress's life is a level of miserable akin to the John Q. Public living paycheck to paycheck he's never had to relate to but continues to grift.

As for the current grift, when do we reach the point where he dresses as Jesus and mounts himself to a fake cross to make body parts on evangelicals fire for the first time in years, if ever?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 26, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Note that the gag order was only issued because of statements Trump made today. The judge had thought that the admonishment he gave him at the start of trial would be effective.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Trump and his allies have made life more dangerous for innumerable persons in already vulnerable groups and things seem poised to get worse before they get any better. I might be in a demographic that will be just fine, but I don't care if he's having a bad time and won't feel better about anything that is going down until he has actual consequences and isn't put back in office

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's also possible that they were trying anything they could think of to restore steerage. In that kind of emergency I would.

Supposedly they did drop the port anchor as soon as the first loss of power happened, but the thing about anchors is they're not a dead stop, you have to pay out enough anchor chain to the bottom of the anchorage to arrest the ship, when you're talking about a heavy vessel, as the flukes will not stop a ship by itself, but dragging a shitload of heavy chain will help slow it down.

Unfortunately there just wasn't enough distance to pay enough chain to stop the ship, if it would have even been able to since they were moving at nearly 8.9kts when they dropped the anchor. More likely it would have just ripped the chain out of the locker if it hadn't hit the bridge.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The shipping company has already likely begun dissolving and reforming under a new, legally distinct entity lol, because maritime shipping go brrr. Nobody who was responsible for the (likely deferred) maintenance for the vessel is going to face any repercussions.

(for the record, it likely was not the crew who was responsible for any maintenance getting deferred, often the crew and inspectors will highlight maintenance concerns and whoever actually owns the ship will put them off because downtime threatens profitablity, crew is probably hosed because the ship is absolutely going to be seized for the duration of the investigation, if it's even seaworthy after they get the bridge off it, and the vessel owner is more liable to abandon the vessel than face legal troubles with recovering the vessel or assets.)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 26, 2024

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

lightpole posted:

Vessels have changed significantly. The Dali is only 10000 TEUs but its hard to get a good perspective with how big everything is now.

Was curious and managed to find a good graph showing the largest available cargo ship by TEU per year from 1970 to today:

(could also be labeled Globalization.jpg)

Dali is about three times bigger than the largest cargo ship in the world when the Key Bridge opened, and yet its less than half the size of a Megamax (from googling it looks like the max that has entered Baltimore harbor is ~15,000 TEU)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao MV Dali had already had been cited by inspectors for maintenance issues related to "Propulsion and auxilliary equipment" in past inspections, aaaand nothing came of it of course. The inspection hit was for an issues with "Gauges, thermometers, etc." but who knows which gauges were messed up since it wasn't in the report.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 26, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I can't be the only person who learned about TEUs and intermodal freight from trying to cram poo poo into a CONNEX to ship it back stateside from Afghanistan.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was the unit movement officer as a platoon leader, and later the battalion logistics officer. Spent quite a bit of time doing stuff with containers or thinking about containers.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
thinkin bout thos tainers

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Yes, every single day he wakes up to exactly his dream scenario and he lives it without a single negative consequence over and over again. He is literally having the time of his life and he also was the president once

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

orange juche posted:

lmao MV Dali had already had been cited by inspectors for maintenance issues related to "Propulsion and auxilliary equipment" in past inspections, aaaand nothing came of it of course. The inspection hit was for an issues with "Gauges, thermometers, etc." but who knows which gauges were messed up since it wasn't in the report.

That doesn't really mean anything. If someone wants to find something its not hard. That's a single deficiency and was cleared next inspection. Probably a very obvious busted gauge. I'm pretty used to sailing with multiple (not a good thing).

Local gages are just backup at this point. Everything is automated with electronic sensors. Inspectors say everything needs to work if its installed even if its superfluous.

Edit: She would be on a scheduled run Columbo to USEC so I would assume there would be a maintenance port on the USEC. Possible they did maintenance in Baltimore and experienced a failure departing. I've had the contractors fail to tighten the bolts for the HP fuel lines to the injectors off the common rail, so thats 1000 bar HFO spraying on the exhaust trunk when the bearing on a x head LO pump failed and it lit off.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 27, 2024

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

Honestly that means gently caress all

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soul Dentist posted:

Yes, every single day he wakes up to exactly his dream scenario and he lives it without a single negative consequence over and over again. He is literally having the time of his life and he also was the president once

I’m not running to terminate the ACA, AS CROOKED JOE BUDEN DISINFORMATES AND MISINFORMATES ALL THE TIME, I’m running to CLOSE THE BORDER, STOP INFLATION, MAKE OUR ECONOMY GREAT, STRENGTHEN OUR MILITARY, AND MAKE THE ACA, or OBAMACARE, AS IT IS KNOWN, MUCH BETTER, STRONGER, AND FAR LESS EXPENSIVE. IN OTHER WORDS, MAKE THE ACA MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER FOR FAR LESS MONEY (OR COST) TO OUR GREST AMERICAN CITIZENS, WHO HAVE BEEN DECIMATED BY BIDEN, HIS RECORD INFLATION, BAD ECONOMY, AFGHANISTAN CATASTROPHE, AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE. CROOKED JOE BIDEN IS, BY FAR, THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'll have you know I went to loving truth social to make sure I wasn't getting bullshitted

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

facialimpediment posted:

I'll have you know I went to loving truth social to make sure I wasn't getting bullshitted

Oh seven thank you for your service

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Misinformates

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

Misinformates

Disinformates

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I’m really interested in how he’s gonna stop inflation, given that it’s highly unlikely any reputable economist will touch him

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr. Nice! posted:

Note that the gag order was only issued because of statements Trump made today. The judge had thought that the admonishment he gave him at the start of trial would be effective.

Guessing steps to protect jury will be elaborate, with a near certainty of death threats. Seems like NYC is taking that seriously but wonder if they’ll have like three times the number of alternates to allow for some jurors bailing from stress.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ronna McDaniel was hired by NBC and then fired when their people started calling them out on air this week.

gently caress her, those assholes need to be treated like the filth they are.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I just realized how much this is going to gently caress up traffic around here. We already get a bunch of traffic trying to avoid the 95 corridor during the summer.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do bollards for boats exist? How much concrete and steel sunk into the port seabed would it take to stop a cargo ship drifting without power?

They're called dolphins and yes.

Here's an article of someone catching on to the increasing size of tankers and doing something about it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

In case you were wondering how Japan's age demographic situation is doing, they now make more diapers for adults than for babies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68672186

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Coasterphreak posted:

I’m really interested in how he’s gonna stop inflation, given that it’s highly unlikely any reputable economist will touch him

He could do literally anything and it would probably do more than the Democrats plan just by virtue of being 100x more chaotic than whatever liberal “raise interest rates and praise job creators” the economists are smoking.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuclear Tourist posted:

In case you were wondering how Japan's age demographic situation is doing, they now make more diapers for adults than for babies.

Big rise in the number of AB/DLs I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Yeah but that has been true for many years already.