Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a flame trooper battlepass the way they did a tesla trooper one. Tinfoil armor that keeps you from taking fire DoT and a hand flamer would be sick

I think there's armor styled like that floating around that may allude to that.

I mean they already have arc resist, it seems like a natural evolution to consider continuing the " resist x" armor sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Aipsh posted:

I bought the Blitzer with my hard earned battle bucks (because it’s the last gun I didn’t own) and WOW. It completely sucks poo poo. Even the weird little energy ball launcher is better

On one hand, its nice that like only 1 weapon that cost $$$ is blatantly over powered. On the other hand, please make some of these weapons better maybe?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tommy the Newt posted:

I'm braced for this being an unpopular opinion but the live service aspect of the game is starting to get me down. I appreciate that they're trying to do something new and I genuinely wish them well with it, with a few tweaks I'd probably be into it, but I find currently the cost to individual player choice too high.

For example, if you want to play on Heeth or Fenrir (which are my two favourite planets so far), you just can't because they're no longer on the list. Also if you want to revisit termicide missions you can't, even though they were IMO a better version of the defence missions.

On top of that, if you want to commit to their narrative and contribute to the galactic war you're required to complete full campaigns, which means a potentially 120-minute set of missions in the same location against the same enemy type with the same modifiers. All progress is lost if you want to go elsewhere for a change in the middle of it. Combined with the sense that there's a lot of godhanding going on, this leaves me feeling disengaged from the war effort overall and just frustrated that I can't pick and choose from a more generous menu.

I can see the upsides and potential for sure, it's been good for memes and social media and it does seem to be inspiring for a lot of people but I kinda miss Deep Rock's 20-minute mission and modifier rotation, it lets you access more varied content more often, as well as giving you more control over the length of your session.

Maybe once they add a 3rd faction things will feel a bit more open, it's early days, but I'd really like individual missions to count for war effort and for there to be some way to revisit favourite locations when you want, even if it's in some kind of separate simulator mode or something.

I agree completely. I wish the DM cut the uptime of :siren: OMG MAJOR STORY ORDER :siren: down to half the time, like every other week. Do give us major orders, but make half of them less critical and over a broader area so we can bounce between freeplay and dogpiling a system

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 26, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I still havent seen any flying bugs

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ZeusCannon posted:

Just fought some on Oshaune. Medium Difficulty

The Arc thrower is really effective on them as expected. Less likely to kill helldivers while firing at them, too!

edit: Thank you mods for my gang tang :bless:

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 26, 2024

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Away all Goats posted:

Just fought some on Oshaune. Medium Difficulty

The Arc thrower is really effective on them as expected. Less likely to kill helldivers while firing at them, too!

edit: Thank you mods for my gang tang :bless:

Can I request a hell diver gang tag as well?

Edit: Is there a goon divers discord and or excel sheet with friend codes?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

(on PS5) has anyone else had their loadout swap to default primary\secondary weapons or swapping the default emote on your diver? I've now jumped into more than one mission where I pulled out the pistol instead of the uzi and have the salute emote when I wanted to hug my bros :(

Griz
May 21, 2001

ZeusCannon posted:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Video Nasty posted:

(on PS5) has anyone else had their loadout swap to default primary\secondary weapons or swapping the default emote on your diver? I've now jumped into more than one mission where I pulled out the pistol instead of the uzi and have the salute emote when I wanted to hug my bros :(

Yes. I haven't played in a week but I always had to switch my secondary, emote, and grenade.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Since the bots are in more need of democracy this week, how is the arc thrower against them? I was just starting to like it as a bug zapper and I want to play around with it again now that it won't hardlock my game. I just don't want to feel useless if I show up with one. I'm guessing the personal shield would be all but mandatory since you have to be pretty immobile to dispense freedom with it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I wish this game was on XBox (or that I could afford a new PS5/PC)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The way I see it, arc guns are useful against bugs because they let you kill a charger with three really good headshots. you don't need the same thing against bots. I prefer longer range high damage primary weapons that burst robo-brains and more traditional anti-armor support weapons for the less-prevalent gigantic bots.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DarkHorse posted:

I wish this game was on XBox (or that I could afford a new PS5/PC)

GeForce now cmon cmon cmon

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
protip: just ignore them if they're close to you so long as their falling corpses become deathbombs

you can genuinely just run straight into their nest, throw down a hellbomb, activate it and leave without furing a single shot(unless there are ground bugs that would break the hellbomb). don't think many people atm realize how easy this is, there's no need to call in multiple EAT drops to slowly clear out the towers

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Or you just shoot them from 141+ meters away with rockets, autocannon, laser cannon etc.

I can't ever clear a nest with one hell bomb, always need at least two.

Maybe am just bad.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

DeathSandwich posted:

My guess is when the bots and the bugs are mostly bottled up, the illuminate come out. They will have started with some sort of deep sneak attack really close to super earth and all the emphasis is going to be to beat the brakes off of them - allowing the Automatons and Bugs to break their containment and really kick everything into high gear.

The bugs do not need to be bottled up. They don't have space flight capacity; they only get from planet to planet because Super Earth transports them there. It's a cull, not a war.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

I play host for my mates and the first time with these guys I managed to drop us out of the way in the middle of a literal triangle with their nest in front and two stalker lairs either side just close enough to spawn.

One of the roughest starts to a mission I have ever dropped us into.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

thotsky posted:

The bugs do not need to be bottled up. They don't have space flight capacity; they only get from planet to planet because Super Earth transports them there. It's a cull, not a war.

Traitor detected. Get'em Boys.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Or you just shoot them from 141+ meters away with rockets, autocannon, laser cannon etc.

Maybe am just bad.

I have to use 2 hellbombs for like half the blow base up objectives, I wish the hellbomb explosion was bigger.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LazyMaybe posted:

protip: just ignore them if they're close to you so long as their falling corpses become deathbombs

you can genuinely just run straight into their nest, throw down a hellbomb, activate it and leave without furing a single shot(unless there are ground bugs that would break the hellbomb). don't think many people atm realize how easy this is, there's no need to call in multiple EAT drops to slowly clear out the towers

not when there are 20 of them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BadLlama posted:

Maybe am just bad.
Autocannon/laser cannon are much better than EATs because they won't take multiple calldowns, but it's common to not see either in your lobby. Meanwhile EATs are common, but very slow for this unless you have a number of players matching the number of nests.

If you're not hitting all the nests with 1 hellbomb, you're placing it wrong. In a full nest of 3 it should be right in the middle between them, and then it'll clear all three easily.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I have to use 2 hellbombs for like half the blow base up objectives, I wish the hellbomb explosion was bigger.

For the research station, the only building you actually have to blow up is the one with all the radio towers around it.

Griz
May 21, 2001

LazyMaybe posted:

they aggro from like half a mile away and keep accumulating while you're trying to deal with the dozens of hunters and a stalker lair between you and the nests

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

BadLlama posted:

For the research station, the only building you actually have to blow up is the one with all the radio towers around it.

Nice, that is so much easier to do lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Griz posted:

they aggro from like half a mile away and keep accumulating while you're trying to deal with the dozens of hunters and a stalker lair between you and the nests
Yeah, so you clear the ground bugs immediately on you if needed and then sprint full tilt into the shrieker nest. They're really very bad at killing you if you keep moving and don't shoot them.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

LazyMaybe posted:

When dropships pull up carrying multiple tanks/hulks during ore scanning, that's just an excuse to drop eagle airstrikes/orbital lasers on their heads. Alternatively, you could bring a (regular) mortar there, because missions where you defend a point against many bots are mortar's actual strong use case.

I feel like as soon as I drop bombs on one tank, it gets replaced with 2-3.

Good point on mortars, though. I use them for the "wipe out X amount of bots" missions, but didn't think about bringing it for a large map mission.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have tried to charge in and hellbomb many flyer nests and it is a fool's errand most of the time. They will start attacking you from a way out. You can duck and roll through them, but then you're trying to set up the bomb while a heap of the fuckers divebomb you and it's likely there are heaps more bugs around. I just run in and throw 120s at the base then book it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Did they change it so if you fail the primary mission you still get your xp and space bucks for the secondaries and bug hole closes?

I swear it used to be if you failed the primary then gently caress you, you get nothing (You should get nothing).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BadLlama posted:

Did they change it so if you fail the primary mission you still get your xp and space bucks for the secondaries and bug hole closes?

I swear it used to be if you failed the primary then gently caress you, you get nothing (You should get nothing).
You always got credit for everything you already cleared, but your exp and req gains are so small on lower difficulties that it can feel like nothing. More side targets, more value, and higher difficulties also have a score multiplier.

...Though now I can't remember if you get the score multiplier on a failure.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 26, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

JBP posted:

I have tried to charge in and hellbomb many flyer nests and it is a fool's errand most of the time. They will start attacking you from a way out. You can duck and roll through them, but then you're trying to set up the bomb while a heap of the fuckers divebomb you and it's likely there are heaps more bugs around. I just run in and throw 120s at the base then book it.

tactics are gonna change depending on how many divers are in the game with you and what diff level you're at. Personally, i've found a gatling sentry works well at aa defence for you but can be moderately overburdened once ground bugs get close to aggro it.

I typically play with full teams at diff 7-9 though so ymmv.

I'm seeing people suggest the laser cannon though now, so theres that

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

people have found a few more enemy models in game and all i can say is lol god bless the devs

JBP posted:

the problem i have had is more that they will just attack the hellbomb and destroy it before it detonates unless they're more or less entirely cleared out beforehand

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I like to shoot the shrieker nests with EAT because you can do it from like 400m away and it feels very badass to do this. Unless there are 3 stalk nests I haven’t seen yet it should only take 2 call ins, which isn’t too bad compared to how long it can take to clear a path into the nest and then back out. Both stalkers and shriekers are awesome and a really good example of how to do negative mission effects in a way that is exciting and not super annoying (looking at you 100% call down and -1 stratagem).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

thotsky posted:

No they hate our freedom and will spread and kill all of Super Earth, you clearly didn't watch the Ministry of Truth's video as directed.

Someone's getting a visit from the Democracy Officer

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Hakarne posted:

Since the bots are in more need of democracy this week, how is the arc thrower against them? I was just starting to like it as a bug zapper and I want to play around with it again now that it won't hardlock my game. I just don't want to feel useless if I show up with one.
Fine as long as you can get within its max range (around 50m) of your target, which is usually not an issue with most biomes. I'd bring a long range primary just in case though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Since the bots are in more need of democracy this week, how is the arc thrower against them? I was just starting to like it as a bug zapper and I want to play around with it again now that it won't hardlock my game. I just don't want to feel useless if I show up with one. I'm guessing the personal shield would be all but mandatory since you have to be pretty immobile to dispense freedom with it.

Arc Thrower is anything but useless, just don't fire if a buddy is in front of you or behind your target

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Those are bats

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Breaker Pray N Spray may not be good, but drat its fun to daka.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ZeusCannon posted:

Those are bats

Bats aren't bugs. :colbert:

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hwurmp posted:

Arc Thrower is anything but useless, just don't fire if a buddy is in front of you or behind your target

I try but some people don't seem to grasp the concept of "if the arc thrower guy is walking backwards and firing constantly to not get swarmed, I should back up too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ZeusCannon posted:

Those are bats

Snuffman posted:

Bats aren't bugs. :colbert:

gat dangit