Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Strong Sauce posted:

So there's a bunch of subsets in Outlaws of Thunder Junction: OTJ

There is OTC which are commander set cards of OTJ
There is OTP, which are basically special guests, the cards in this subset are cards that can "commit crimes". There are not standard legal.
There is SPG, which are cards that are reprints. Also not standard legal.
There is also BIG: The Big Score. This is a special subset of 30 mythic rares that are legal in standard. This was added because I assume Aftermath failed big time so they're just shoving it into OTJ

Saw on reddit, that all OTJ and BIG cards are coming to arena, which has mana drain and stoneforge mystic. Betting drain is brawl and timeless only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What's with the cards that have the USS Kelvin underside as it's emblem?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jiro posted:

What's with the cards that have the USS Kelvin underside as it's emblem?

they were going to have a miniset like Aftermath again, but it failed so hard that that's no longer happening. that said, they already had all these cards designed and intended to be in the standard environment, so they're going to be in the set proper despite being "a different set." they're BIG for "the big score" and are all brand new cards representing things that were in this magical vault that oko and co broke into and unleashed

there's some clumsiness now b/c those cards are on top of what outlaws already was going to have:
- a bonus sheet (the "breaking news" cards that are all reprints that can commit crimes, like thoughtseize, mana drain, and original flavor oko)
- cards from The List™ (reprints that are themed to this set and are meant to bolster the draft environment; idk if we have any of these revealed yet but MKM's list had Syr Konrad and Mentor of the Meek)
- the small subset of The List™ called Special Guests™ (chase reprints with brand new art of potentially VERY powerful cards)

we already have the full set of special guests for outlaws:

already on arena: brazen borrower, brazen borrower, morbid opportunist, scapeshift
new to arena: stoneforge mystic, mystic snake, notion thief, desert, prismatic vista
new to arena AND (edit: also aren't currently modern legal, which isn't changing lmao oops): desertion, port razer

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 26, 2024

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

drat, this one is really cool. Fine on turn two but can turn a corner quickly, going from playing D to beating down very quickly.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

AngryBooch posted:

drat, this one is really cool. Fine on turn two but can turn a corner quickly, going from playing D to beating down very quickly.

so is plot like foretell but for free?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ilmucche posted:

You pay the Plot cost, and then you cast the spell as a sorcery on a later turn, but it's also face-up while Foretell is hidden. So essentially yes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ilmucche posted:

fortell was always pay 2 generic to put it into exile and a variable cost to then cast it from exile (on a later turn). plot is a variable cost up front, but always free to cast from exile (not just on a later turn but also only as a sorcery). fortell was also hidden information, while the cards you're plotting are revealed

it's close thematically to foretell, but i think plot is going to feel a lot better to play with & there already seems to be quite a few cards in the set that are going to benefit from not just playing free spells but also playing cards from somewhere other than your hand

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

...Now I want a Mega Man UB set... :sigh:

newershadow
May 18, 2014

flatluigi posted:

they were going to have a miniset like Aftermath again, but it failed so hard that that's no longer happening. that said, they already had all these cards designed and intended to be in the standard environment, so they're going to be in the set proper despite being "a different set." they're BIG for "the big score" and are all brand new cards representing things that were in this magical vault that oko and co broke into and unleashed

there's some clumsiness now b/c those cards are on top of what outlaws already was going to have:
- a bonus sheet (the "breaking news" cards that are all reprints that can commit crimes, like thoughtseize, mana drain, and original flavor oko)
- cards from The List™ (reprints that are themed to this set and are meant to bolster the draft environment; idk if we have any of these revealed yet but MKM's list had Syr Konrad and Mentor of the Meek)
- the small subset of The List™ called Special Guests™ (chase reprints with brand new art of potentially VERY powerful cards)

Just FYI the only List cards from this set are the special guests and the big score. The Big Score cards took the slots that normal list reprints would otherwise have as part of the Aftermath Mitigation strategy. From the collecting article, it looks like they end up being more common than the List slot was in MKM - MKM was 1/64 SPG out of a total of 1/8 List (so 7/64 non-SPG), here it's 1/64 SPG out of a total of 1/5 (so 59/320 BIG).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

newershadow posted:

Just FYI the only List cards from this set are the special guests and the big score. The Big Score cards took the slots that normal list reprints would otherwise have as part of the Aftermath Mitigation strategy. From the collecting article, it looks like they end up being more common than the List slot was in MKM - MKM was 1/64 SPG out of a total of 1/8 List (so 7/64 non-SPG), here it's 1/64 SPG out of a total of 1/5 (so 59/320 BIG).

ah, that makes sense

i do think i would've really enjoyed to see mesa enchantress in a cowboy hat or whatever they would've decided would be on the list, but there's always the cannonball run set a few more down the line

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
4 mana green creatures are getting BIG

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Is Colossal Rattleworm a Tremors reference or am I reading too much into that?

Specifically, being a surprise (flash) if you're in a desert.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Is Colossal Rattleworm a Tremors reference or am I reading too much into that?

Specifically, being a surprise (flash) if you're in a desert.

I mean. There's also this little book called Dune that popularized the concept of giant sandworms that appear without warning a few years before Tremors.

(It's a common trope for weird desert monsters, what more can I say?)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I mean. There's also this little book called Dune that popularized the concept of giant sandworms that appear without warning a few years before Tremors.

(It's a common trope for weird desert monsters, what more can I say?)

Yeah, I mean Dune was right there, but seeing as this set is American West-flavored and not Arabian Peninsula-flavored that's why my mind went to Tremors.

I suppose the obvious thing to conclude is Tremors got it from Dune.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

When they make a card called colossal assblaster, you'll know it's a Tremors reference.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
It's also just a big rattlesnake, a desert ambush hunter. Flash because it has camouflage, and trample instead of deathtouch because it's a big wurm and not a small snake. It doesn't feel too much like a Graboid or Shai Hulud to me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still hoping Kaervek gets a new card.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still hoping Kaervek gets a new card.

he was in the story so it's honestly pretty likely

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I await the return of duel decks beginning with Outlaws vs. Adventurers (party matters)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vault, Standard Legal.

edit-

Oops, missed this one on the last page since it was posted with the other 3 variants

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 26, 2024

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
With Spree can you activate a mode more than once if you have the mana or is it only a "you can do one of those or all of these, once only"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

With Spree can you activate a mode more than once if you have the mana or is it only a "you can do one of those or all of these, once only"

You can choose any of them, once, but you don't have to choose all of them.

Also I didn't watch the stream but, going along with the Topor Orb flavor text, they confirmed the thing in the vault Jace stole was a Fomori, so we're finally gonna learn about them I guess.
Been a loooooooong time since Future Sight.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mike N Eich posted:

Any number of them, but only once each.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GonSmithe posted:

You can choose any of them, once, but you don't have to choose all of them.

Also I didn't watch the stream but, going along with the Topor Orb flavor text, they confirmed the thing in the vault Jace stole was a Fomori, so we're finally gonna learn about them I guess.
Been a loooooooong time since Future Sight.

we learned stuff about the fomori in LCI, if you missed that story. i don't remember the details enough about it to fully summarize but they had a plane-spanning empire and were the ones to attack ixalan's core aeons ago as a sort of colonizing force

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Kellan/Halo UB Crossover Coming Soon!

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm assuming that you can also choose "none" of the additional costs or effects ? For whatever edge case that may incentive it?
Otherwise, it's just split cards w/ fuse again

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I'm assuming that you can also choose "none" of the additional costs or effects ? For whatever edge case that may incentive it?

You cannot. You have to chose one minimum.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

since we're just coming off of MKM and its collect evidence mechanic, it's worth noting that split cards have a very high mana value but these spree cards are MV 1 for all that's worth

but yeah, it's mostly the same thing. the templating for spree does let them make much more complex cards than a split card, at least

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Seems good

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

how far up is rakdos on the "mythic cards featuring this" list? for non-planeswalkers, anyways

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they say how Spree interacts with Cascade and Discover?

They're literally just blank without one of the choices.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aphrodite posted:

Did they say how Spree interacts with Cascade and Discover?

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Like, even if you can't cast a Spree for its 'base cost', does it count as that base cost for the purposes of mining the library for a specific cost?

As for the set, I actually feel kinda bad that I'm not really interested mostly for aesthetic reasons. It's knocking it right out of the park in terms of mechanics, and they're nailing the 'wild west' theming... but the wild west theming is such a nothing to me that I'm only interested in these cards as 'oh hey it's a Kamigawa dude'.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When you cast a spell with an additional cost without paying it's cost you still pay these additional costs.
So when you Cascade into a spree you'll get a chance to pay those costs.
Also at least one additional cost on a spree is mandatory, like sacrificing a land to harrow

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Lol, poor black removal

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Why are people so excited about perennially unplayable Pongify?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A 3/3 (especially back when Pongify was in Standard) is actually a pretty big creature that still generally needs answering itself, while a 2/2 just incidentally trades with an Emperor token or whatever.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Back in my day, we played beat within and liked it.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

So the great train heist is a combat doubler that I can put on an isochron scepter, you say...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's alright but when will this ever go in a deck when Fateful Absence is legal?