Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yeah I can’t wrap my head around that photo. A classic red solo cup is 16 ounces. Either the cup is a lot larger than that or the woman’s hand is tiny.

Edit: I guess maybe you get 16oz of actual milkshake and then there’s a bunch of extra room for the accoutrements.

I just assumed it was a tiny old woman hand, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Glad you're on the mend, Crazy Ted.
Thanks. It's been...frustrating. I'll try to make a REALLY long story short:

When my daughter was born in the early months of the pandemic (October 2020) she was born via C-Section that became infected after my wife got home from the hospital. The C-section had to be re-opened, but because of the uncertainty of the pandemic at the time it was decided it would be easier for her to recover fully at home since there was now an open, infected wound going across her entire abdomen and going in/out of a clinic with strangers also going in/out would be a major risk. So, I got to learn how to pack wounds. While she was in recovery, she also had to figure out how to re-jigger all of her lesson plans to be able to teach K-8 students remotely, and I also helped her with that since I've been a remote worker at least part-time since 2010.

At the same time, the newborn developed an issue where she would spit up about 80% of the time she was fed. We eventually needed the Pediatrician's help with it, but that meant for about six months I had to do night duty with the baby and feed her when she would inevitably become hungry after spitting up all day. Between that, and helping with the C-section recovery, and helping with the teaching transition, and working from home myself, I ended up averaging 3.5-4 hours of sleep a night for 6-9 months (according to my Smartwatch).

Not surprisingly, I paid for it heavily and ended up with both bleeding ulcers and borderline anemia for a year. Then, right as my labs and endoscopes were showing significant improvement I finally caught Covid, and because my immune system was being compromised by the ulcer condition...well of loving course I got Long Covid and my lungs randomly felt like they were on fire for the next year, and the complications from that brought my ulcers back.

Since then I've been in a weird holding pattern where the two kind of feed off each other, since they're two conditions that involve inflammation and can affect your immune system. My lungs are a lot better, but there are still residual effects and a flare-up in one condition leads to a flare-up in the other condition, and because of that I haven't been able to make the Ulcerative Colitis functionally go away.

Because of all that I got hit with a head cold about three weeks ago, and instead of the standard issue head cold like the other two in my family got, I had a fever for three days and it took me three weeks to get over it. I actually got rid of the fever, and then it came back. I've never had that happen as an adult.

It's been fun.

BACK TO BASEBALL: If any of you have been wondering how Rougned Odor has been doing in Japan, well he's no longer in Japan. He was awful enough in Spring Training that the Yomiuri Giants informed him that he would start the season on their reserve roster with all the developmental prospects in the Ni-Gun League, and he demanded his immediate release.

pseudodragon posted:

Also Griffin making the all star game is hilarious. He was there as the guest of teammate Damaso Garcia. Just before the game, actual all-star Alan Trammell got hurt and couldn't play. So since they were a guy short and Griffin was already in town and going to the game anyways, he got a seat upgrade.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/07/09/alfredo-griffin-mlb-all-star-game-selection-snubs
Well I learned something new today and it was pretty drat funny.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 27, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh that is rough, sorry to hear that Crazy Ted. I hope you recovery goes more smoothly.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Crazy Ted posted:

BACK TO BASEBALL: If any of you have been wondering how Rougned Odor has been doing in Japan, well he's no longer in Japan. He was awful enough in Spring Training that the Yomiuri Giants informed him that he would start the season on their reserve roster with all the developmental prospects in the Ni-Gun League, and he demanded his immediate release.

Well I learned something new today and it was pretty drat funny.

Remember when he punched out Jose Bautista? Rangers should retire his number for that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

loving hell my heart goes out to you. I had an asymptomatic stomach ulcer perforate on me in November and ended up having to get emergency partial resection surgery and just recovering from that by itself has been a brutal slog that's also turned up a bunch of other underlying medical poo poo I'm dealing with. Can't imagine that while having to deal with long covid and a newborn on top. :stonk:

quote:

Was Odor just never actually all that good or did he have some bizarre fall off in his 20's? My first thought was "goddamn retire old man" but I looked it up and he's only 30???

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Sydin posted:

Was Odor just never actually all that good or did he have some bizarre fall off in his 20's? My first thought was "goddamn retire old man" but I looked it up and he's only 30???

When Odor came up, he was a super young, super raw 2B who did just enough of everything to dream on a 5 tool guy, but then he started selling out for power and his average plummeted, and then he stopped hitting bombs too.

When you're hitting 30 bombs a season a .220 average and meh defense is mostly livable, when it's 15 they really aren't

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Decided I'm not even reading box scores this year until I read the obits to see if Reinsdorf is dead yet. PS gently caress Jerry Reinsdorf.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Was Odor just a juiced ball guy?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

more a combo of "the rangers not really having better young options" and "man if we can just unlock what he could be he could be our jeff kent!"

they were never able to do that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees gave Rougned Odor over 350 AB's. What an incredible thing to do.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bogus Adventure posted:

This is why pre-gaming is important before going to the ballpark. gently caress that poo poo.

Let me tell you about soaking fruit in liquor, my friend

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lmao the first thing I thought when I read that Bogus Adventure post was "Kevlar and his liquor-fruit"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Monty to the D-Backs??

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1772786904141848981?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
uh okay

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff hath spoken

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1772786904141848981

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1772787933323383053

Many teams could and should have done that deal, seems like a steal

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That was not what I was expecting.

I guess he really didn't want to miss out on the start of the season and took whatever short term deal he could.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The salary cap is working as intended i guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The salary cap is working as intended i guess.
Sure seems like it.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
gently caress the luxury tax that is all

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Jeff hath spoken

Snell and him, absolutely insane deals to insane teams given the state of other rosters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol so many competing teams who need a starter of that caliber and the best Montgomery can scrounge is 1/25 from the D-Backs. MLBPA should be apoplectic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sydin posted:

lol so many competing teams who need a starter of that caliber and the best Montgomery can scrounge is 1/25 from the D-Backs. MLBPA should be apoplectic.
2 of the 3 best pitchers on the market, including the NL CY winner, having to settle for 1 year deals plus an option is insane

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Cardinals are the dumb ones for rushing out the door to pay for a bunch of old guys

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1772789642116714841?s=20

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FlamingLiberal posted:

2 of the 3 best pitchers on the market, including the NL CY winner, having to settle for 1 year deals plus an option is insane

almost like the owners are in cahoots or something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

bawfuls posted:

lmao the first thing I thought when I read that Bogus Adventure post was "Kevlar and his liquor-fruit"

lol

bawfuls posted:

Jeff hath spoken

double lol, can't believe it was the D-Backs who got him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if a good starter would go to the fuckin' american league

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Wow this whole Montgomery thing is so dumb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees will likely have to trade prospects at the deadline to fill a hole they could've filled with just money.

Also what a shameful job by the overrated clown that is Scott Boras.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

mcmagic posted:

Also what a shameful job by the overrated clown that is Scott Boras.

im not saying scott boras is a loser but he's currently at an angels game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Salary cap my rear end, collusion against Scott Boras is what's going on here.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sure hope the Orioles start making those kinds of deals once the new ownership is in place

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Salary cap my rear end, collusion against Scott Boras is what's going on here.

Sounds like all his clients should find another agent.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I guess stanning for the billionaires is on brand for a Yankees fan if nothing else.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah god forbid the Rangers just....bring him back.

I've been dragged an inch down from cloud nine.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

If I am going to pay $30 for alcohol, I am going to get my money's worth! :bahgawd:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Wow what the gently caress Crane. That was the best guy out of Snell, Lorenzen, Cease, etc. and he's gone to the Dbacks for cheap!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I guess stanning for the billionaires is on brand for a Yankees fan if nothing else.

I'll have you know I hate both Boras and the owners.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
A full half of the AL Contenders needed to sign Montgomery and instead he goes to Arizona.

Wonderful job all around.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Dbacks are looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

God drat imagine not bringing back one of your two reliable starters from a World Series run at that price.