Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Danann posted:

recalling that boat poster who thinks that fascism will result in the us training weights being lifted and unleashing the war command economy when if anything it'll just succumb to the same political-economic ills because both sides of the aisle have the same assumptions about how the economy works

only difference is the culture war each side is on

Lmao how'd full war economy work for the fascists last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Hatebag posted:

the sf oakland bridge? like four different companies hosed up with the anchor rod installations and installed them in a way they'd be subject to corrosion. also a lot of welding issues. that bridge is probably going to collapse in an earthquake in a few years

don't worry, they can just blame it on the Chinese steel that was used!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

double nine posted:

Give the bridge building contract to Elon Musk imo.
It's going to be equally horrible but the content will be amazing.

I would love to see how his "engineers" disrupt traditional bridge building methods

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

GlassEye-Boy posted:

well it was partially the fault of the chinese and korean companies that did the welding. i think i also remember people complaining about the chinese steel for that one because it was rusting immediately as it didn't have the proper coating on it

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I would love to see how his "engineers" disrupt traditional bridge building methods
For the same price as significantly higher cost than a bridge they’ll build a submarine to ferry a single vehicle at a time, and then the submarine immediately breaks down because it can’t handle contact with water.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hatebag posted:

the sf oakland bridge? like four different companies hosed up with the anchor rod installations and installed them in a way they'd be subject to corrosion. also a lot of welding issues. that bridge is probably going to collapse in an earthquake in a few years

Hatebag posted:

they were fined $34 million out of the $2 billion project cost. truly horrific

Yeah that's the one; I wasn't 100% sure what the resolution was, but I'm glad the companies didn't suffer too much.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hatebag posted:

well it was partially the fault of the chinese and korean companies that did the welding. i think i also remember people complaining about the chinese steel for that one because it was rusting immediately as it didn't have the proper coating on it

Nobody wants to do quality inspection anymore.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Hatebag posted:

Good to know once again, its chinas fault.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Good to know once again, its chinas fault.

yep, evil china ruined our beautiful lowest bidder bridge

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The peace proposals (1940-1941) given by the Nazis were pretty interesting as well. They pretty much demanded pre-war borders plus Poland/Luxembourg/Alsace-Lorraine in exchange for British neutrality. It wasn't that onerous an offer.

That said, almost certainly would still have influence in those countries after they left. The Vichy would have inherent France and probably stayed fairly compliant. Denmark had already worked out a dependent relationship with Berlin, and Belgium and the Netherlands would likely have as well. In addition, the Italians would have still demanded some parts of Yugoslavia (which would probably stay broken up) with Greece possibly returning to a relatively more neutral position. Hungary, Romania, and Italy would have remained German allies and Slovakia, a puppet.

Basically, the Germans would pull back its troops to focus completely on a war on the Soviet Union, with most of Europe a series of satellites and puppet regimes. The issue isn't that the British had that much of a problem with the Germans focusing on the Soviets from that point, but they knew they couldn't control the Germans any longer, even there was a cabinet crisis because Halifax was still pushing to take the deal.

Dunkirk was around this period and almost certainly went the way it did because the Germans didn't want negotiations to break down on their part.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1772472565585563921

quote:

Fascinating article on AUKUS by Malcolm Turnbull, former Prime Minister of Australia from 2015 to 2018.
https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/26/australia-aukus-deal-us-uk-submarines-virginia-class

He explains that it now looks likely that Australia "for much of the next decade and beyond, [will not have] any submarine capability at all", but will instead have to build the U.S. a submarine base in Perth, staffed by U.S. submarines subsidized by Australia.

In short Australia will end up having paid for the privilege of its own military colonization by the U.S. when the original AUKUS rational was to have its own submarine capabilities, which is quite insane when you think about it...

Lol at this entirely predictable series of events in Australia.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Danann posted:

pounded in the butt down under by the embodied personification of an imperial suzerain masquerading as a three-state security pact by chuck tingle

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Danann posted:

The US will lose WW3 but Australia will lose it first.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Danann posted:

lol owned. Goddamn that's just embarrassing.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Danann posted:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Have you considered the elites of Australia don't consider themselves a sovereign nation state and happy to become a sub-unit of the the USA?

Just a company that majorly-owned by the US conglomerate, but still has its own CEO and PR dept and ad dept so the bosses can still have fancy titles on their business cards.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Lmao how'd full war economy work for the fascists last time

they were too right wing to actually go to a full war/command economy until it was too late and they were in deep, deep poo poo

https://adamtooze.com/the-wages-of-destruction/

good read

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mila kunis posted:

they were too right wing to actually go to a full war/command economy until it was too late and they were in deep, deep poo poo

https://adamtooze.com/the-wages-of-destruction/

good read

That is exactly what I was thinking of down to the same book, yeah

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Danann posted:

:911: well that's just embarrassing, how'd you let me do that to you

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have you considered the elites of Australia don't consider themselves a sovereign nation state and happy to become a sub-unit of the the USA?

Just a company that majorly-owned by the US conglomerate, but still has its own CEO and PR dept and ad dept so the bosses can still have fancy titles on their business cards.

The mining executives could just as easily continue selling bauxite and copper to China without the US imposing its foreign policy on them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The mining executives could just as easily continue selling bauxite and copper to China without the US imposing its foreign policy on them.

yeah but then they wouldnt be able to keep hitting the sweet sweet us mic propaganda crack pipe

e: like i think everyone, particularly you australians who may or may not exist in this thread, should just sit down and huff a deep breath of how deeply, completely duped your elites are by the US. you have a lower political status in relationship to your suzerain than saudi arabia has much less the US's favored psychotic murderchild, israel. they sold your strategic weapons capability for magic beans. this isnt "being on the wrong side of history" its being used as a crumple zone by the wrong side of history.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Mar 27, 2024

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah but then they wouldnt be able to keep hitting the sweet sweet us mic propaganda crack pipe

e: like i think everyone, particularly you australians who may or may not exist in this thread, should just sit down and huff a deep breath of how deeply, completely duped your elites are by the US. you have a lower political status in relationship to your suzerain than saudi arabia has much less the US's favored psychotic murderchild, israel. they sold your strategic weapons capability for magic beans. this isnt "being on the wrong side of history" its being used as a crumple zone by the wrong side of history.

Oh naur!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the anglosphere needs to be humbled and destroyed

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The US couped an Australian government via the Governor General, which is something they wouldn't do to their more valuable middle eastern allies.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

yellowcar posted:

the anglosphere needs to be humbled and destroyed

neoliberalism is doing that right now, don't be in a rush

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Me a European: Hahah, how dumb of them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WalsPat/status/1772773373489168738?t=HL2iFEEUIKbB4hGOC52Kfg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Very__Regular/status/1772640611977326625?t=KUac1qJIUd9P7QYfehzpoA&s=19

I'm bothered by how quickly people, even those ostensibly not rightists, are accepting the idea that this was not a preventable incident.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm bothered by how quickly people, even those ostensibly not rightists, are accepting the idea that this was not a preventable incident.

the only two opinions on this that are within the realm of acceptable public discourse currently are "this was a preventable incident because it was caused by foreigners somehow and getting rid of them would have prevented it" and "this could not possibly have been avoided because things have never been better so catastrophic accidents are just something that inevitably happen sometimes"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CombatCavScout/status/1772613524981711283?t=kk1NJJCeIiD8pB-hiwm-dA&s=19

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/rArmyReddit/status/1772712168992964726

Lol

e: led me to this

quote:

Montana National Guard leadership is aware of a Montana Army National Guard recruiting poster that appears to show members of the World War II German Army in the background. This poster does not represent our history or values and has been removed from further distribution. We sincerely apologize for this serious mistake.

The poster was created by the Montana Army National Guard. The intent of the poster was to show our tradition of multi-generation service. Command Sgt. Maj. Lawrence DeBoo is shown holding a picture of his grandfather, veteran Louis DeBoo. In searching for a historical image for the background of the poster, the creator found an Adobe Stock photo. During the approval process, the Recruiting team did not recognize the German-style uniforms and equipment.

More than 800 Montanans were killed in action during World War II. The Montana National Guard’s 163rd Infantry Regiment fought in the Pacific Theater from 1942 through 1945 during the Southern Philippines, New Guinean and Papuan Campaigns. The service and sacrifice of Montana’s veterans such as Louis DeBoo and the 163rd is carried forward in everything the Montana National Guard does today.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this mistake.

Officer Sandvich has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Mar 27, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I mean you can build concrete dolphins around the bridge to stop ships from hitting it, they do it all the time

I don't think there's a lot of bridges out there that are rated to handle a container ship ramming into them but it's still a pretty preventable thing

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Unfortunately I am no longer able to jeer at Australia for aukus as NZ is looking to get into pillar two

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The chinesium?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, because the collapse has never materialized, people have shifted over to demanding that the Three Gorges gets nuked instead

Or Taiwan using some significant portion of their 50 applicable missiles on it

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheBlackHorse65/status/1772641237712904371

quote:

I've been asked by a few mutuals to do an assessment of the economic impact of this accident. Below is a thread of the many dimensions to that analysis.

First and foremost there is the cost of the bridge replacement. A semi-comparable bridge currently in costing over the Colombia river is expected to cost $5-$7.5 Billion, and will take 5+ years. You can expect this bridge to be more like $10B-$15B
https://interstatebridge.org/media/j3pn0513/ibr-cost-estimate-fact-sheet_04-21-2023_remediated.pdf

The ship & cargo themselves are comparably inexpensive, with a likely replacement value of ~$200M, with salvage value likely to reduce the impact to something on the order of $100M.

The port itself is likely to be blocked for weeks, and to be frequently constrained during future construction. The port of Baltimore is very large, but there are a lot of alternative transit routes for goods so you should not expect shortages, only re-routing costs.

The largest commodity trade-value through the port is the ~$2.5B worth of coal that passed through it in 2023. Your looking at a local loss ~$200M this year as a result of reduced traffic, partially defrayed by available alternative transit.

It's very difficult to measure the economic benefit that will be lost while the bridge is unusable. Assessments of the economic value of bridges of this kind are highly politicized. But in a bid process it would likely be assessed at $10B-$20B over the 10 year loss of service.

In total your looking at an accident which probably cost $10B-$15B in hard costs, and a comparable amount in terms of lost economic activity in the region during recovery.

For scale, this accident will be about as expensive as the occupation of Afghanistan was in 2021.

baltimore boat accident added a whole afhganistan's worth of damages at once

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

just claim ukrainian heritage and he'll get off scott free

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Flournival Dixon posted:

I mean you can build concrete dolphins around the bridge to stop ships from hitting it, they do it all the time

I don't think there's a lot of bridges out there that are rated to handle a container ship ramming into them but it's still a pretty preventable thing

Can a concrete dolphin stop a fully loaded panamax? That's a stupid amount of force.

Outside of that working the real preventable thing in this situation is whatever mechanical problem caused the ship to lose power and also prevented the backup generator from kicking in and staying on. These ships are typically run for as low as of a cost as possible with the bare minimum maintenance to pass safety codes that aren't as stringent as they should be.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Yeah I kinda assumed when I heard about this that these ships are probably all running on shoestring maintenance and pretty far from anything that would be able to guarantee safety.

I think the systems of multiple dolphins they put around major bridges can do a lot to stop even a big ship if they build them properly and they put enough of them in but I'm not an engineer. I think the Baltimore bridge only had a couple tiny ones that didn't do much for anything sizeable.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It keeps happening lmao

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Why does the National Guard need a special forces team?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

Or Taiwan using some significant portion of their 50 applicable missiles on it

Yeah Taiwanese news outlets used to run "Three Gorge Dam will collapse soon" or "can be easily attacked" news story once a year.

From what I understand, 3GD is a gravity dam, its shape is way harder to damage than the other types of dam (like that one in Egypt). Also China has anti air battery station in 3GD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is why I think covid is important to remember when it comes to WW3.

Because people will just repeat what MSNBC says about how a few eastern seaboard cities are just the cost of doing business