Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My new favorite thing is missions never loading and having to quit out of the game because the drop loading screen is just there forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fabricated posted:

My new favorite thing is missions never loading and having to quit out of the game because the drop loading screen is just there forever

Yeah had this one last night. We waited long enough for the music to cut out before realizing it wasn't starting.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

getting game freezes again :( two good bot matches wasted

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Just had a slightly new crash myself. Regular game freeze but then left and right click wouldn't work on anything except windows task bar for almost two minutes. Probably more windows related than whatever engine this game uses that people seem to hate.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fabricated posted:

super destroyer missed

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
New patch seems a little shaky; getting performance hiccups and drops in fps.

I really hope they make a push for a performance patch once this next one drops

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

I agree completely. I wish the DM cut the uptime of :siren: OMG MAJOR STORY ORDER :siren: down to half the time, like every other week. Do give us major orders, but make half of them less critical and over a broader area so we can bounce between freeplay and dogpiling a system

smh maybe read some Eco

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You can always freeplay. Any individual play session will contribute functionally nothing to a Major Order.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I assure you, unless you're playing for hours every single day, the global objectives will get done with or without you. Just have fun and do your personal objectives

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

You're just reinforcing that I haven't seen any flying bugs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JBP posted:

I have tried to charge in and hellbomb many flyer nests and it is a fool's errand most of the time. They will start attacking you from a way out. You can duck and roll through them, but then you're trying to set up the bomb while a heap of the fuckers divebomb you and it's likely there are heaps more bugs around. I just run in and throw 120s at the base then book it.
It's hard for me to say what you're doing wrong but you're probably simply doing things too slowly.
I just went and did 3 shrieker nests in a row like this on difficulty 9 missions to demonstrate what I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvCSrSP4iE

Run right the gently caress in, throw down hellbomb, arm hellbomb, leave. If ground bugs get in the shrieker nest with you, either kill them or use stun grenades(1 before arming bomb, 1 after) to prevent them from breaking the bomb.
Then when you're leaving, you pick off shriekers when they're not too close to you until there are none left.
Obviously if you're in a group things get more messy, but then it's just about knowing when to go for it. When the 3 pubbies I'm with are distracted fighting stuff(maybe including shriekers), I'll go off and do the shrieker nest solo like this. I don't ever do this with a group of people, only by myself splitting off from the group.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, shriekers are best dealt with the same way as stalkers; head directly to the nest and blow it up. The only difference is that while heading to the nest you shoot all stalkers on sight but should ignore shriekers. They're also the same in that they're both pretty simple to deal with by themselves but can make getting caught in regular bug encounters deadly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I am like 99% sure shriekers will become almost useless once the bug is fixed because literally every time I've seen someone die to them it's because they killed one near them and its death aura corpse fell on them. their actual lunge move usually whiffs, doesn't do much damage when it actually hits, and they can't follow up on it nearly as quickly as grounded bugs can with their melee attacks.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There's definitely a huge gulf between Stalkers being super hunters that catch sprinting helldivers and ragdoll them everywhere, and Shriekers which just kinda force you to keep moving around to avoid some damage. I'm okay with it though because shriekers have a much larger active range and their nests are still more work to remove than just grenading a stalker hole.

Darox fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 27, 2024

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

ZeusCannon posted:

You're just reinforcing that I haven't seen any flying bugs.

Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that flies offensive!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Shriekers are also good at getting in the way of explosive fire, like the one time I actually had an auto-cannon when they showed up and killed myself when a shrieker swooped down out of nowhere while I was shooting the nest.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hwurmp posted:

Arc Thrower is anything but useless, just don't fire if a buddy is in front of you or behind your target

Even if he is out of LOS in front of you. Like around a hill or around a corner but you can still see his tag. Hit Arc chains can get really impressive!

But man do they put in work.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I just responded to the explosive handshake emote at the very front of my destroyer. This caused my helldiver to get stuck in what looked like an angry tantrum of stomping, but was actually me getting stuck on the geometry. I then fell out the front of my own ship and plummeted towards the planet for a few minutes before the game froze.

You can see my dangling cape at the bottom of the screen here

and yes I took a picture of my screen, I'm old and forgot what the screenshot key was

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shriekers should have buzzy wings, not flappy.

Having to call in weapons for the first time is dumb. Just put me on the planet with the thing I chose, even with a automatic beginning of the cool down is fine. I was on the ship where the gun is, just let me bring it with me and don't waste my time with calling it down.

You should be able to change strategems or equipment under some circumstances. It sucks getting hosed cause someone crashed or left that you were relying on for synergy.

Just put the loving ammo counter on the HUD.

A test chamber to mess with new equipment would be nice.

I want to scout and tag targets for my team mates to call strikes on. Or do it myself by placing a marker on the map for my ship to target.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I am waiting for the inclusion of shrieker variants that spit acid at you. I can feel it in my bones, the enemies of democracy adapting.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's up with those Eradication missions on the map that have been ongoing for 40+ minutes?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

What's up with those Eradication missions on the map that have been ongoing for 40+ minutes?

The main timer is 10 minutes on those if they're what I think they are (get rid of the bot spawners), but after 10 you can still fight, you just can't use any stratagems including reinforcement. Not sure why you'd want to do this, but you could....I think.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

obeyasia posted:

Shriekers should have buzzy wings, not flappy.

they get the wings termicide hosed up and gave them, not the wings you find most aesthetically pleasing.

obeyasia posted:

Having to call in weapons for the first time is dumb. Just put me on the planet with the thing I chose, even with a automatic beginning of the cool down is fine. I was on the ship where the gun is, just let me bring it with me and don't waste my time with calling it down.

it's good to have a better engineer than everyone on super earth in this thread. I suppose you'd like the hellpod to have room for your robe and house shoes as well? perhaps a nice armoire for your finery?

quote:

A test chamber to mess with new equipment would be nice.

this one is a hard agree though

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

George RR Fartin posted:

The main timer is 10 minutes on those if they're what I think they are (get rid of the bot spawners), but after 10 you can still fight, you just can't use any stratagems including reinforcement. Not sure why you'd want to do this, but you could....I think.

It's the Kill X Bots/Bugs in a small area ones, I'm just wondering why they'd still be going after that long. Presumably they'd have finished or run out of reinforcements long before that.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I always gather shells and lay them at the chamber loading site before activating the artillery computer and it makes them pretty easy, but I will admit I am on lower difficulties. Does this not help in the higher difficulties? Also, drop and pick up the shells repeatedly to get them there much faster!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SplitSoul posted:

It's the Kill X Bots/Bugs in a small area ones, I'm just wondering why they'd still be going after that long. Presumably they'd have finished or run out of reinforcements long before that.

Spawns stop once the goal is met on those maps. So if you can kill the enemies that are active at that point you can hunt around the map for any samples.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Apple Craft posted:

I always gather shells and lay them at the chamber loading site before activating the artillery computer and it makes them pretty easy, but I will admit I am on lower difficulties. Does this not help in the higher difficulties? Also, drop and pick up the shells repeatedly to get them there much faster!

It does not matter. Hit the computer before or after.

Yes dropping them is much faster but so annoying.
“Dropping package picking up the pack dropping pack picking up the dropping”

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I'm trying out support weapons other than the AC and EAT.

The light Stalwart machine gun is fantastic against bugs. So many bullets. So many dead hunters. Stalwart + Laser Dog cleans up all the light armored enemies nicely. For the medium armor bugs, I unloaded into their legs or switch to my explosive plasma shotgun. Stalwart performed subpar against bots though; it's too weak against devastators. Unlike the Machine Gun, Stalwart cun be reloaded while running.

I don't ever see people running Stalwart, but I recommend it. Lots of fun mowing down bugs.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The light Stalwart machine gun is fantastic against bugs. So many bullets. So many dead hunters. Stalwart + Laser Dog cleans up all the light armored enemies nicely. For the medium armor bugs, I unloaded into their legs or switch to my explosive plasma shotgun. Stalwart performed subpar against bots though; it's too weak against devastators. Unlike the Machine Gun, Stalwart cun be reloaded while running.

I don't ever see people running Stalwart, but I recommend it. Lots of fun mowing down bugs.

I second this opinion. If nobody else is obviously on crowd control in a bug mission, I''ll take the Stalwart.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

This thread convinced me to use the Stalwart and I really did not like it.

Felt like if I saw a Hive Guard or Brood Commander then I was hosed.

It’s really good against small stuff, but so is the laser dog and I don’t have to aim or reload the laser dog. Running both seems like overkill.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

space uncle posted:

It’s really good against small stuff, but so is the laser dog and I don’t have to aim or reload the laser dog. Running both seems like overkill.

You have so many bullets you can just saw their legs off. Same with Stalkers.

I'm starting to become a big fan of the jetpack so you can jump up to a vantage point and get a different angle on the armored guys too.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

space uncle posted:

You are, but that's what teammates (or Impact grenades) are for. Always run the Stalwart at 1150 RPM for Maximum Democracy and just kill anything that's a Warrior or smaller.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I like using the sickle and the regular mg. Use the sickle until some medium armour gunk accumulates, swap over, swap back when I have a sec.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you're going to take something like the Stalwart for crowd control then you should have something like the Punisher for medium targets. For most missions I don't feel like the Stalwart's really a necessity though, between someone with an AC, and me carrying a Breaker.

Maybe on extermination missions, I could see an argument for it and a dog there. That said, the strongest argument is if you enjoy using it. It's by no means a bad option, and fun trumps any degree of efficiency.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Owlbear Camus posted:

they get the wings termicide hosed up and gave them, not the wings you find most aesthetically pleasing.

Termicide was an unmitigated success what the hell are you talking about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like to run laser gimmick loadout on cold planets but stalwart, arc thrower, or grenade launcher are all great fun against bugs if we have enough anti titan gear already.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Tommy the Newt posted:

I'm braced for this being an unpopular opinion but the live service aspect of the game is starting to get me down. I appreciate that they're trying to do something new and I genuinely wish them well with it, with a few tweaks I'd probably be into it, but I find currently the cost to individual player choice too high.

For example, if you want to play on Heeth or Fenrir (which are my two favourite planets so far), you just can't because they're no longer on the list. Also if you want to revisit termicide missions you can't, even though they were IMO a better version of the defence missions.

I appreciate the limitation. I think it helps keep what in reality is a pretty limited set of biomes and environments feeling fresh. If you freely could play any biome at any time people would just hit equilibrium on whatever the least offensive combo of terrain weather and negative effect is and you would end up losing out on variety in the long haul. Being stuck playing on some shithole fire tornado planet or whatever for a few sessions adds contrast when you move on to the next type and get some new scenery.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Aipsh posted:

I bought the Blitzer with my hard earned battle bucks (because it’s the last gun I didn’t own) and WOW. It completely sucks poo poo. Even the weird little energy ball launcher is better

Try it again. It hits the body part you aim at, has unlimited ammo and does high single shot damage. Its dps is garbage but it reloads itself in your pocket so you can just pull it out for an occasional shot then switch back to your support weapon or whatever and it'll be ready next time you want it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

causticBeet posted:

I appreciate the limitation. I think it helps keep what in reality is a pretty limited set of biomes and environments feeling fresh. If you freely could play any biome at any time people would just hit equilibrium on whatever the least offensive combo of terrain weather and negative effect is and you would end up losing out on variety in the long haul. Being stuck playing on some shithole fire tornado planet or whatever for a few sessions adds contrast when you move on to the next type and get some new scenery.

I like that it reinforces the narrative that you're just directing a busload of human laser pointers to wherever they're told they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The AMR is bullying me. Every time I call it down tonight, the gun is on the opposite side of the drop pod. Why. Why does this bother me so much :saddowns: