Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Archer666 posted:

The thing is, there was a period where PT was blatantly copying Contra to a weird degree. You can see a switch in the presentation of PT's vids the moment Contra gets big which lasts for a good several years. (I think it stopped anyway, I stopped watching PT a few years ago). So she does have a good point about PT copying her shtick.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Archer666 posted:

The thing is, there was a period where PT was blatantly copying Contra to a weird degree. You can see a switch in the presentation of PT's vids the moment Contra gets big which lasts for a good several years. (I think it stopped anyway, I stopped watching PT a few years ago). So she does have a good point about PT copying her shtick.

good point, they should both delete their channels

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you want to be an actor then maybe actually go try to do things like making industry connections that will actually help you break into acting instead of making youtube videos. Like unless you're pulling Mr. Beast numbers no studio exec is gonna see your breadtube skits and go "get this gal on the phone, she belongs on the silver screen!!!"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NaWYDW5BDY

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sydin posted:

If you want to be an actor then maybe actually go try to do things like making industry connections that will actually help you break into acting instead of making youtube videos. Like unless you're pulling Mr. Beast numbers no studio exec is gonna see your breadtube skits and go "get this gal on the phone, she belongs on the silver screen!!!"

You say that. Meanwhile, working actors I know have told me about how casting directors actively check on their socials to see what kind of following they have before deciding to hire them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Archer666 posted:

Abigail talked a bit about that in a rather heavy video from 2019 (around the ten minute mark) (CW: discussions on suicide) and puts a lot of it down to coming out of an abusive relationship. I don't doubt that Contrapoints was a big influence on her change in style but there was more going on.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sydin posted:

Which Thorn has done, via The Prince and other Nebula projects.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

and just got a star wars gig so it seems to be working

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Sydin posted:

pretty sure she's also been doing that? she already had some screen and stage roles (and written two plays), it's not like she pivoted immediately from YouTube to wars (star)

looking at this discussion so far I've got to wonder how the grapes are tasting.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

repiv posted:

Oh this is the star wars person. Sorry mixing up my YouTube people, ignore me. :downs:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

repiv posted:

Also she's English and England still has the big local theater scenes that feed into local film and television production. Plus she's hiring tons of makeup artists and editors and such just for the production of her videos on YouTube.

In the year 2024 it's a little silly to treat people who publish videos on YouTube as a subordinate class of performer just by dint of venue.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

repiv posted:

good for her :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Archer666 posted:

forgot what thread this was in and my brain immediately starting running through my memory of what happened in various konami games

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Runa posted:

forgot what thread this was in and my brain immediately starting running through my memory of what happened in various konami games

lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Runa posted:

Lmao

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Sorry but you shouldnt be making YouTube videos if you want to write a book and get it publ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

watching jenny's video on Pokemon Live. there's just five minutes of the stage show dedicated to the crew wheeling out a bunch of pokemon puppets/statues on wheels and spinning them around, hoping the crowd will applaud for their favorites, but there's no crowd reaction

so it's just five minutes of random pokemon being wheeled out, spun around, and then pulled away like it's a fashion show, with a droning edm drum beat in the background, and nothing but complete silence and crew hot mic muttering

The news clip that went completely off the rails and devolved to the anchor trying to play catch with Brock's actor was bizarre. Also if Jenny's youtube career hadn't taken off I could easily see her transitioning to a voice acting career because she's pretty good at doing voices.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that voice made her horse famous

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Well she did a lot of voice work in Friendship Is Witchcraft back in the day, so those doors are probably still open to her if she wanted to do more VA stuff.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Runa posted:

thats not what we're talking about?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
it's still real to me drat it!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Everything I have ever learned about a big-name breadtuber has been against my will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVc7U4PwuDI
I enjoyed this ten minute evolutionary history of fish.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Is this from one of Moviebob's many books?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Runa posted:

Well there is Short Message.

LanceHunter posted:

You say that. Meanwhile, working actors I know have told me about how casting directors actively check on their socials to see what kind of following they have before deciding to hire them.

Yeah "making industry connections" these days means schmoozing on Twitter.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 27, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's probably not possible to pass an ideological purity test if you're an actor/actress in TV/film period, it's fuckin Hollywood, every studio fuckin sucks and will all eventually be owned by Disney someday

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't be putting money on Disney right now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at the terrifying masks and the urbex video with the piles of dead pokemon.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUrybdnDHqQ&t=1s

well folks, my latest video is here at last. hope y'all like.

hate to say it, but if this video doesn't pop off this time, i may have to re-evaluate the direction i want my channel to go in. before anyone says anything, yeah i know that a new YTer going viral is like winning the lottery, and that most YTers have made videos for months or even years before they started getting any remotely decent traffic.

but this isn't even about me getting antsy or disillusioned. sadly, it goes beyond that. the kinds of videos i have on my channel take a shitload of work to do. a large chunk of that is due to the style that I chose in terms of video editing. I wanted to make my videos extremely energetic and dynamic with lots of cuts and transitions, but that comes with expending a lot of effort. but it's not even about the workload specifically. while that is definitely an issue, for me currently the larger issue, is the fact that I have what I assume is early onset carpal tunnel syndrome, and so i frequently find myself in a lot of pain. to be fair it's not like horrendous or anything like that, but it does show up after a few minutes of dragging and dropping. so this is just a practical matter unfortunately, as I may physically be incapable of doing such.

But just to clarify I definitely still want to continue doing YouTube videos. they just might take another form where I don't have to do nearly as much hectic editing as I've been doing so far. so they're going to look very different from the ones that I have uploaded already. I know I have a couple of fans here ( :glomp: ), and I apologize for that but hopefully y'all Still stick around and enjoy what I might come up with next :cheers:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUrybdnDHqQ&t=1s

well folks, my latest video is here at last. hope y'all like.

hate to say it, but if this video doesn't pop off this time, i may have to re-evaluate the direction i want my channel to go in. before anyone says anything, yeah i know that a new YTer going viral is like winning the lottery, and that most YTers have made videos for months or even years before they started getting any remotely decent traffic.

but this isn't even about me getting antsy or disillusioned. sadly, it goes beyond that. the kinds of videos i have on my channel take a shitload of work to do. a large chunk of that is due to the style that I chose in terms of video editing. I wanted to make my videos extremely energetic and dynamic with lots of cuts and transitions, but that comes with expending a lot of effort. but it's not even about the workload specifically. while that is definitely an issue, for me currently the larger issue, is the fact that I have what I assume is early onset carpal tunnel syndrome, and so i frequently find myself in a lot of pain. to be fair it's not like horrendous or anything like that, but it does show up after a few minutes of dragging and dropping. so this is just a practical matter unfortunately, as I may physically be incapable of doing such.

But just to clarify I definitely still want to continue doing YouTube videos. they just might take another form where I don't have to do nearly as much hectic editing as I've been doing so far. so they're going to look very different from the ones that I have uploaded already. I know I have a couple of fans here ( :glomp: ), and I apologize for that but hopefully y'all Still stick around and enjoy what I might come up with next :cheers:

Thank you for the work you made. I enjoyed every video you made! I hope the future video making would be less demanding on your body.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

for me currently the larger issue, is the fact that I have what I assume is early onset carpal tunnel syndrome, and so i frequently find myself in a lot of pain. to be fair it's not like horrendous or anything like that, but it does show up after a few minutes of dragging and dropping. so this is just a practical matter unfortunately, as I may physically be incapable of doing such.

Occasionally professional video engineer and bad-but-paid editor here: look into a trackball (for general pointer stuff) and a Shuttle Pro (for NLE work). I have RSI that flares up every time I'm working in Premiere with a mouse or even the trackball and my Shuttle is a lifechanger.

Some people also like spacemouses, but I never got the hang of those and they don't have enough buttons for me.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Todd drops a country music Trainwreckord:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJpK_SGIcj4

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I watched the whole QR video but since I had returned from a long shift, I was too pooped out to write something here.

He does make some quick summations of Head Of The Class, but its to highlight how Dan started and how his legacy was handled afterwards. Not a by and by episode, but a character study since in a way, any time Dan was on tv he was playing a goofy version of himself. Quinton also puts some lines in the sand, elaborating that while Dan was inappropriate and brash, he didn't necessarily SA-ed people at work or didn't necessarily shove everything weird as sexual content. He also sees Dan as being the lighting rod to everything wrong with kids productions, which he perceives as bad since a good part of the issues with them aren't around him or even around Nickleodeon and they won't go away with just kicking Dan out. Adding to this: Attempting to clear out Dan's name from a good part of his productions is seen as useless according to him as he theorizes that a bunch of the more beloved characters are just... extremely idealized versions of Dan.

However, there's a bit of a ... Michael Jordan Hall Of Fame speech moment where he mentions he wanted to make particular big points with these big productions but came to resent the fact that people would defend some of it as "oh its good to have on the background so I didn't hear that well". Given that he changed stance every video or so, I see that as a bit petulant given that a good part of this was his fault. There's a definite conflict where on every video he wanted this to go on a different path, but a comment on his upload sums up that he just happened to be hit constantly with developments that would force him to reconsider it.

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1772756922917068840

The fact that he initially planned to have this all holed up until he'd post ONE GIANT video about it is definitely a way to curse your whole production.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

jenny nicholson’s pokemon live video is very good, RIP to those puppets

I feel so bad for that woman who played misty, that interview segment was miserable

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is funny how the one person out of it who got famous didn't even get their real name displayed on the interview.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

I feel bad because I used to watch Sterling's videos fairly regularly, but yeah, rip. Every time I see one on youtube's front page I just hear the nasally "Triple AAAAAAAA," in my head and grimace.

Also I've been watching Tehsnakerer's Yakuza videos as I work through the series myself and they're legit good, would recommend.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Sterling's stuff remains frustrating to me as while they're right they're saying literally the same thing over and over again over different footage. And they've said that when they put something positive out into the world, their view count drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sterling also did work for the Vampire Survivor DLC, the game which was intentionally about bringing over dark patterns from the gambling industry, so they are kind of a hypocrite, about what ruins game.