Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm really torn on the subject. on one hand, my coworker and buddy who was being turned into a skeleton by stebe cancer got the big shot cause he is an oregon resident and he died with his wife and friends by his side, and i can't hate on that. otoh, i know for a fact if i would have had money in my 20s or 30s i would have doctor shopped for the big sleep cause life is real hard then. after my dad punched his own card, i have very complicated takes on end of life decision making that i absolutely will not go into because ppl on the internet are jabbering fools.

its gonna take us some time and patience to dial it all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

canada has convinced me that the us should not adopt the policy. i think it would be a good idea in a better society but you need to offer people the right to live with dignity or die with dignity, only offering the second option is what america would do

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mediaphage posted:

it’s both, actually. just because the concept is a theoretical good doesn’t mean the practical implementation of it has been.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i trust that you are not farting, but yeah. It's only a good idea if you offer people help to keep on truckin before you offer them a cartoon size fent syringe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

i trust that you are not farting, but yeah. It's only a good idea if you offer people help to keep on truckin before you offer them a cartoon size fent syringe

im being serious

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oklahoma would be the first to offer it for trans people

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

and don't call me shirley

edit: that would have been funnier if it was right after fart Simpsons post

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson posted:

canada has convinced me that the us should not adopt the policy. i think it would be a good idea in a better society but you need to offer people the right to live with dignity or die with dignity, only offering the second option is what america would do

a fart post i…agree with???

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MAID should only be available to terminally ill patients, to prevent pain and suffering, because otherwise ya what fart said

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this is the program in canada where they will execute you if youre medically deemed too incapable, too old, or too indigenous right?

seems bad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i agree with this and appreciate your thoughtful takes on things in general op. no cap

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

fart simpson posted:

the us would offer it for free on street corners and have big trucks standing by to haul off the dead homeless

Eminent DNS posted:

and don't call me shirley

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1772656906420555868?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

i don't think it's that plain a choice. the us would certainly offer the option, if not the default, of dying completely without any kind of dignity at all and being thrown in a ditch on top of other people that were also buried in the ditch, but there's a layer of dirt in between each person. that way its not a mass grave

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Beeftweeter posted:

i had to deal with poo poo like this before with my back too and it is loving infuriating

the worst part is if you lose all of your appeals a MRI is like $15k. luckily i've never lost, but still

what the hell clinic are you going to where an mri is 15 loving grand?

I had one years back and it a couple hundred bucks. it was annoying that their payment options were visa or cash so I had to go down to an atm and pull out $400 or whatever cuz I only had a Mastercard. real weird

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol oh poo poo i meant $1.5k

i was quoted that about 5 months ago by a chain of radiology clinics here in south florida. i didn't shop around since i was pretty sure i'd win the appeal and i did, but i wouldn't be surprised if that were the average going rate. they put me in one of those fancy ones where you're not really in a tube and it looked super expensive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also even with insurance it was still about $200

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
oh right, Florida. never mind carry on :D

mine was zero dollars after insurance but I’m not in America so

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
those places are so loving packed all the time they must be making a boatload, regardless of how fancy or expensive those machines are. they could probably make them like $10 for people without insurance and still make a killing, but lol nah

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I tend to agree that the idea of euthanasia shouldn’t be legal in countries without universal free healthcare.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

MAID should only be available to terminally ill patients, to prevent pain and suffering, because otherwise ya what fart said

yeah

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this stuff about Diddy that’s coming out is fuckin nuts and 50c stands justified

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Diddy? did he diddle? I didn't read the news

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

he did all of that and more, such as sex trafficking apparently

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Dammit, what didn't Diddy do?!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he couldnt save that bridge, or stop the genocide

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1772654033393652143

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

q’s back baby!! awoo

actually does qanon as a “movement” still exist?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mediaphage posted:

q’s back baby!! awoo

it sure does, but now they follow someone who uses the moniker "diddy"

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

like i need some loving quack's opinion to kill myself

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

he did all of that and more, such as sex trafficking apparently

Also blowing up Kid Cudi's car.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
who didn't diddy diddle? did diddy diddle dangerously???

but donny didn't just decide to diddle decadent dimwits, donny diddled dangling dollars. didn't diddy do that doubly? did donny deign diddy to diddle??

anyway, don't do what donny does, or diddle as diddy did

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 27, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mediaphage posted:

well i made a "movement" that resembled it this morning, but i flushed it down. i guess it technically still exists

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well now

London-made HIV injection has potential to cure millions worldwide 📰
Western University researchers are gearing up for clinical trials of a London-made injection that could rid patients of HIV, helping tens of millions worldwide.

lfpress posted:

Eric Arts, right, a professor of microbiology and immunology at the Schulich school of medicine and dentistry at Western University, Ryan Ho, left, and Minh Ha Ngo, rear, were photographed in the ImPaKT facility at Western University in London on Monday March 25, 2024. (Derek Ruttan/The London Free Press)

Western University researchers are gearing up for clinical trials of a London-made injection that could rid patients of HIV, helping tens of millions worldwide.

The shot, developed by researchers at Western University’s Schulich school of medicine and dentistry in partnership with scientists in the United Kingdom and United States, could help patients on HIV treatment drugs get off them permanently by clearing out the residual virus lurking in their bodies, an intervention set for human trials later this year.

“It would drive out the last little bits of virus that stay hidden in the body, and in doing so, you hope, they can stop their treatment and live life-long without HIV,” said Eric Arts, professor of microbiology and immunology at Schulich.

“What we’ve designed is a very targeted approach. We’re only hitting the cells that have the remnant HIV inside.”

HIV is a virus that, if left untreated, can turn into AIDS, an autoimmune disease that kills nearly one million people a year globally.

Treatment options for HIV-infected people have evolved considerably since the virus became recognized worldwide in the early 1980s, Arts said, from courses of 15 or more pills a day decades ago to sometimes just one a day now. About 30 million people around the world are on long-term treatment for the virus, he said.

While the drugs effectively suppress the virus, low levels of HIV continue to hide in the immune cells of patients, Arts said. If a patient were to go off their HIV treatment, the virus would roar back with a vengeance.

It means patients are on HIV treatment drugs for life, which can have its own long-term consequences and side-effects, Arts said, not to mention the lasting toll of living with the stigmatized diagnosis.

The HIV-like particle developed by the Western-led research team stimulates an immune response, triggering it to attack the particle and any residual virus that’s lurking around, Arts said.

Other attempts by researchers and pharmaceutical companies to kill off residual HIV were very broad, involving various low-dose chemotherapies that hit all cells indiscriminately, Arts said. The new approach is highly targeted and is not expected to cause significant side-effects for patients, he said.

“We’re looking at potentially three to four injections, spaced out one a month. It’s very similar to a vaccine approach, except with more boosters,” said Arts, executive director of Western’s Imaging Pathogens for Knowledge Translation (ImPaKT) lab program.

The first human trials will test whether the product is safe, Arts said. Other phases will test its effectiveness of freeing patients from the residual HIV in their bodies and getting them off long-term drug treatments, he said.

While the clinical trials will unfold in several centres and results are still years away, the injection will be made here in London, Arts said.

A study on the effectiveness of the HIV-like-particle is being published this week in the journal Emerging Microbes and Infections. The study tested the HIV-like-particle intervention on blood samples from people on long-term HIV treatment drugs in Uganda, Canada and Cleveland, Ohio.

“We looked (to see) if, in essence, we could cure their immune cells of HIV and if we could use it in a clinical setting to do the same thing,” Arts said. “It was very, very successful in doing so. So, we’re moving forward now.”

The lead author on the study, Western master’s degree student Ryan Ho, said he is grateful to be part of such a deeply meaningful research project with the potential to turn the page on HIV/AIDS.

In the coming months, the team hopes to publish additional papers on the HIV-like-particle that build off the latest study, Ho said.

Not content to sit in the lab, Ho began volunteering at the Regional HIV/AIDS Connection in London during the pandemic, assembling harm-reduction kits.

“It feels really special to see how what we do on the lab bench will hopefully help those HIV-positive clients someday,” he said, adding he tries to stop in regularly to volunteer.

“I’m grateful to get the full picture. When we do science, it’s important to remember who we do it for.”

The latest paper is a collaboration with the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom, Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, and Johns Hopkins and National Institutes of Health in Maryland.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that's... good news?? that's something i haven't heard in years, i didn't think it was possible past 2020 :thunk:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Beeftweeter posted:

that's... good news?? that's something i haven't heard in years, i didn't think it was possible past 2020 :thunk:

They are preparing to run a study to see if they can announce good news.

I'll take it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao looks like they dropped the amount of cash for trump because he really might not have the money

https://youtu.be/Y2LqdDnIxV8?si=sJ6dHq2vUXsUPD4g

about 2/3s of the way through he mentions trump approached over thirty bond companies and nobody would accept property as collateral except the one he already used for e jean carroll.

so if carroll wins trumps appeal the money is hers, it’s already in hock and there’s nothing he can do and the bond company gets to empty his bank account

in the unlikely event he loses the ny fraud appeal his bond company will probably immediately take ownership of what’s left of his cash and whatever properties he’s signed away

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mediaphage posted:

in the unlikely event he loses the ny fraud appeal

???

there's no indication he might lose any appeal, either the defamation one or the fraud one. quite the contrary actually, they're both pretty much a lock. lowering the bond amount was, as you said, because he actually doesn't have that much cash

and he might not have $175m or whatever they lowered it to either, but i'd bet extremely rich people that balked at half a billion might be more inclined to give him under $200 million. but that's still a lot of money so it still may not happen

however, he might be able to put up a building or something for collateral since their valuations are probably far closer to the lowered range than the original amount. they probably weren't willing to take them as collateral at the valuations trump gave them, not their actual assessed value

also note that trump losing the fraud appeal doesn't necessarily mean he'd get the original punishment. like, it's already been modified, but since he put up the bond for the defamation one already, that's basically locked in and wouldn't be lowered. either way it's likely nearly financially ruinous

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

???

there's no indication he might lose any appeal, either the defamation one or the fraud one. quite the contrary actually, they're both pretty much a lock. lowering the bond amount was, as you said, because he actually doesn't have that much cash

and he might not have $175m or whatever they lowered it to either, but i'd bet extremely rich people that balked at half a billion might be more inclined to give him under $200 million. but that's still a lot of money so it still may not happen

however, he might be able to put up a building or something for collateral since their valuations are probably far closer to the lowered range than the original amount

also note that trump losing the fraud appeal doesn't necessarily mean he'd get the original punishment. like, it's already been modified, but since he put up the bond for the defamation one already, that's basically locked in and wouldn't be lowered. either way it's likely nearly financially ruinous

simmer down there bucko i said in the unlikely event, it's fine as a figure of speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well either way, my guess is he tries to put up his DJT shares as collateral. he is blocked from trading them for 6 months, but he can have that waived by the board, which you better bet is absolutely in complete lockstep with trump

that could open the door to some securities violations because the board of a public company is supposed to be independent, but i'm sure that won't stop him from trying. they're currently valued at like $3 billion iirc

however, bond companies might not take the shares because by the time the trial is over they could be virtually or literally worthless