Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to eat my sister in law’s “home grown, home cooked meal” after the invited me over?

Love the confluence of 6 foot party sub guy and distrust off anything natural.

I love the combination of faith and ignorance of the function of governments and government inspectors. You are a whole lot more likely to get something nasty out of a bagged salad from a megafarm than you are from your sister in laws seasonal garden.

Anyway, what a fuckin rear end in a top hat, and what a wrongheaded way to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My babies wore, um , clothes? I'm pretty sure? home from the hospital. I was focused on what the gently caress, this is a new human, I am not ready to cope.

Also, when we were leaving the hospital to go home with Child 1, we stopped at the local bookstore, husband left me and baby in the car while he dropped in to find something new. Came out with the first edition of Good Omens. Best husband, would marry again. Kid was pretty nifty, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember our nurse was like ❤️❤️❤️ let me know if you need any help adjusting that carseat for the ride home❤️❤️❤️ and then acted irritable and put-upon when we actually did

That's when I learned being a parent is all about being offered help by people who will be furious at you for taking it. Lesson one!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Oh drat, we were required to bring our carseat in to have it adjusted and tested before we could take any of ours home

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We had to do the “car seat test”, which is strapping the baby into the car seat while the monitors were still attached to make sure she would be OK

She actually failed once and had to do it again

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Huh. We just had to prove we had a cat seat.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

My dad apparently carried me out of the hospital like a linebacker holding a football in one arm, apparently to the nurse’s chagrin. His excuse was he’d held lots of nieces and nephews so he had experience. I think a car seat was involved somewhere. Somehow I’m still alive.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My babies wore, um , clothes? I'm pretty sure? home from the hospital. I was focused on what the gently caress, this is a new human, I am not ready to cope.

Also, when we were leaving the hospital to go home with Child 1, we stopped at the local bookstore, husband left me and baby in the car while he dropped in to find something new. Came out with the first edition of Good Omens. Best husband, would marry again. Kid was pretty nifty, too.

A tiny human!?!? And they're just letting me LEAVE with it?!!?!? Do these people know how hosed up my life is that they're just letting me walk off with a baby?!?!?!?!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

We had ours in Manhattan, so we had a car seat but no car. The Lyft driver was very helpful in strapping it in for us.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That was cool of them, but I wouldn't want to be that driver if you crashed. They'd need a lawyer immediately for sure. Their car insurance, and your health insurance would be after them, and you know Uber would leave them high and dry.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for expecting a 24 year old to prioritize her health irrespective of what others say?

OP and his whole lovely family need to be cooked alive in a vat of boiling sugar. Imagine being hounded to work for free at a wedding that you didn't want to go to in the first place, not even allowed to attend the ceremony, getting no help from your lovely BF, being scolded for abandoning your "post" and being unhealthy when you tried to get some food, and collapsing and becoming hospitalised for severe hypoglycaemic shock, and on top of this being loving blamed for your own loving hospitalisation - "why doesn't she just ignore our constant browbeating????" It's not like confusion is a common symptom of hypoglycaemia or anything. Jfc.

Ignoring the entire rest of the lovely family: If someone comes up to you and tells you they're dizzy and their blood sugar is low and they're worried about going into hyperglycaemic shock, you don't just tell them to go eat something and ditch them! If things get this bad, you need to stick with them to make sure they don't collapse on the way! Especially if you know some crazy woman is going to shoo them away from eating cake at a loving wedding!

My grandma once had a minor low blood sugar episode in a taxi and couldn't remember her address. The taxi driver drove her to our house, which she did remember, helped her up the stairs and described her symptoms to me enough for me to realize what the problem was. A complete stranger did more for my grandma than OP for his wife!

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Here's some weird poo poo.

My (23F) boyfriend (27M) doesn't care that men tried to break into my house

quote:

Two days ago I left my new (moved in 1 week ago) home to find three large men had pulled a bin directly underneath my ground floor bathroom window (presumably to climb up) and were staring directly into my bathroom. I inspected the window and it was loosened on one side as if they had tried to pry it open. After telling my boyfriend he insinuated I was overreacting and kept repeating that they were "probably minding their own business" or that they were just doing a drug deal.

My mom came the day after and drilled the window shut. I later found that someone had daubed "so what?" under my window. I called my mom in tears and both my parents confirmed that was not previously there. Police and home repair both confirmed later that the graffiti was never there before and that it was done likely after my mom left.

My boyfriend spent an hour insisting the men were probably minding their business and that the graffiti was always there and claiming everyone is probably "misremembering" things. He then said it was just his "opinion". I replied saying that at a time like this, his opinion isn't wanted or necessary and my life could be in danger and all he cares about is being right.

He has refused to apologise and admit he was wrong despite everyone else saying its odd that he's fixating on having the last word rather than the possible danger. After a lengthy argument he insisted he did nothing wrong after I explained IN DETAIL multiple times, prompting me to block him and pretty much end our relationship. Does anyone know why he acted this way and how to go from here?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to eat my sister in law’s “home grown, home cooked meal” after the invited me over?

Love the confluence of 6 foot party sub guy and distrust off anything natural.

Yeah, with a few exceptions like raw milk, most of the tests required for food involve stuff like "Did they go over the legal limit of various poisonous substances added to boost the yield?", "Are the bacteria amounts low enough that this will survive the shelf life without making people poo poo themselves" and "Is this real extra virginal native organic olive oil or did they take processed soybean oil and add some green food coloring?" or "Are those real bamboo shoots or is it wood that's been painted green?". There are very few things that need to be controlled that are not related to industrial processing or greed. I would refuse fresh milk from someone who didn't get regular tests done on their stuff, but that's about it unless I saw them do something really stupid.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Troublemaker posted:

Lol the boyfriend is an abusive, unstable cop. The guys at the window were probably his fellow cops wanting a look.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Troublemaker posted:

He wanted her to move in with him and they were his friends.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Troublemaker posted:

Oh c'mon honey, it's just three large men doing a drug deal. We'll call the exterminator on Monday and get it all sorted out

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

deoju posted:

That was cool of them, but I wouldn't want to be that driver if you crashed. They'd need a lawyer immediately for sure. Their car insurance, and your health insurance would be after them, and you know Uber would leave them high and dry.

Well yeah, seeing as they were driving for Lyft I doubt Uber would be much help :v:

Troublemaker posted:

This is truly weird but my advice is to go to the (ex)boyfriend's house/car and paint "so what" on it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd get it if she just saw 3 large men doing a drug deal on the street outside her place and they actually were minding their own business, but in what possible world is trying to break into and crawl through someone's bathroom window to enter their home in any shape or form "minding their own business"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah, with a few exceptions like raw milk, most of the tests required for food involve stuff like "Did they go over the legal limit of various poisonous substances added to boost the yield?", "Are the bacteria amounts low enough that this will survive the shelf life without making people poo poo themselves" and "Is this real extra virginal native organic olive oil or did they take processed soybean oil and add some green food coloring?" or "Are those real bamboo shoots or is it wood that's been painted green?". There are very few things that need to be controlled that are not related to industrial processing or greed. I would refuse fresh milk from someone who didn't get regular tests done on their stuff, but that's about it unless I saw them do something really stupid.

Home canning is another thing that’s easy to gently caress up and can be lethal.
Bottling fruit etc is fine because of the acid, but I would honestly recommend against packing anything you’re not confident is below pH 4.2.
(If you use vinegar to make it acidic that’s once again fine, as are fermented vegetables in a sufficently-strong brine)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Troublemaker posted:

Commenters think BF may have been involved. It also comes out that her BF is a cop with a history of sexism.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Home canning is another thing that’s easy to gently caress up and can be lethal.
Bottling fruit etc is fine because of the acid, but I would honestly recommend against packing anything you’re not confident is below pH 4.2.
(If you use vinegar to make it acidic that’s once again fine, as are fermented vegetables in a sufficently-strong brine)

Yeah, I bottle my own peaches and I'm paranoid about it as all hell. Colour not right? Bin. Smell even slightly different? Bin. Bad vibes? Bin.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Quackles posted:

Commenters think BF may have been involved. It also comes out that her BF is a cop with a history of sexism.

Well, that explains a lot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

carrionman posted:

Yeah, I bottle my own peaches and I'm paranoid about it as all hell. Colour not right? Bin. Smell even slightly different? Bin. Bad vibes? Bin.

But I have it on good authority that peaches don't come in bottles. They come from a can. And there is a man who puts them there in a factory. Downtown.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I only trust peaches that have been hard won by fighting ninjas.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

But I have it on good authority that peaches don't come in bottles. They come from a can. And there is a man who puts them there in a factory. Downtown.

Millions of them, I hear.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Troublemaker posted:

There's a followup and it isn't a feel good one.

CW: suicidal ideation

My house almost got broken into and my boyfriend didn't believe me, so we broke up.

quote:

I lost everything in the space of 3 days - I lost my partner, I lost my safety and I lost the ability to leave my house. My dog is asking to go potty and I literally can't take her because it's after dark and I'm frightened the men are going to hurt me.

I hope I don't wake up, I already relapsed and self harmed - I'm just trying to find someone to take my dog so I can start making plans to pass on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hughlander posted:

called me a “f@t piece of poo poo”

lol at OP’s censoring priorities.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

kdrudy posted:

Millions of them, I hear.

Who are all these peaches for?

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

There's a followup and it isn't a feel good one.

CW: suicidal ideation

My house almost got broken into and my boyfriend didn't believe me, so we broke up.

OH gently caress, well that's bad. I hope the commentariat is giving her the help she needs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

carrionman posted:

I recommend a pinch of citric acid in the bottling liquid.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Biplane posted:

Lol the boyfriend is an abusive, unstable cop. The guys at the window were probably his fellow cops wanting a look.

Is this just a headcanon or somehow established in the comments?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

The Alchemist posted:

Is this just a headcanon or somehow established in the comments?

It's in the comments, there's also a bunch of other hosed up poo poo that the POS cop did in the comments. But since we don't post abuse here, let's just leave it at that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

A tiny human!?!? And they're just letting me LEAVE with it?!!?!? Do these people know how hosed up my life is that they're just letting me walk off with a baby?!?!?!?!

turns out all you gotta do to have a kid is gently caress

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

FMguru posted:

It could also be that the guy she was trying to get with dumped her (or wasn't interested) and she's scrambling to climb back onto the boat she just jumped off of but the speed with which she went from "you're dumped" to "wait, don't you want to talk about this?!?" makes me agree that yeah it's a TikTok relationship "test" gone sideways.

Or she is still in that high school mindset where couples break up every other week and are back together before lunch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

carrionman posted:

My great grandfather used to work in a cannery that canned peaches. He chewed tobacco and would spit into the cans. He thought it was funny as hell. Don't eat any peaches canned in TX in the 50s

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not really. If you break up with someone you don't get to dictate how they respond to it. The seeming desperate backpedaling does make it look like a relationship test backfire, though, I'm inclined to agree.

Could be a relationship test, but it doesn't have to be. Some people do go in for high drama breakup-makeup cycles and are completely dumbfounded if their partner doesn't play along or stops playing along. I had one of those relationships at one point, and when I finally grew a spine and didn't do the 'make up' phase it took her over a month to accept that things really were over. Also even though she was the one who broke up with me, she told people that I broke up with her, I think because the breakup-makeup pattern was so ingrained for her that she didn't think it counted.

haveblue posted:

We had to do the “car seat test”, which is strapping the baby into the car seat while the monitors were still attached to make sure she would be OK

She actually failed once and had to do it again

I'm old enough that when I was born they had to do the "car seat test", which was ensuring that there was a seat in the vehicle being driven home. In our case, it was an old love seat in the back of a van that was not actually attached to the van in any way, but you could sit on it with a baby so it counted.

(disclaimer: I think it's good that we actually do better at avoid injuring and killing babies in car accidents, I just think it's funny that it was considered no big deal at the time. Also the 'seat in a van' is actually from memories as a kid, they may have had an actual car seat for us as infants.)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

After I got divorced from someone who would retreat to threatening the relationship itself as a way of winning or at least ending arguments, I came out of the divorce with a rule “we only go out once” which solved that makeup/breakup cycle or threats like that from the gate. Kind of a hold on tightly but let go lightly policy. If you want to break up, that’s fine, but I don’t get back together, so if you (or I) want to end it, let’s just be sure about what we’re doing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

That was my exact response after they ensured we had a car seat. "Just take this thing, that we have zero experience with?"

I guess the parenting classes we took were actually pretty good.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Enemabag Jones posted:

The gently caress is the point of a "very expensive" onesie? I tried knitting one once and the baby doubled in size during the process.

Before she had her first child, my sister bought extremely fancy baby clothes - think Victorian level ruffles and ribbons, lots of white and materials that would require ironing, hand-washing, etc. We all rolled our eyes but she insisted that her baby wouldn't be caught dead wearing boring tacky baby clothes.

Now that her child is almost 2, they mostly wear T-shirts and overalls. Turns out babies are messy and hard on clothes. Machine washable and easily replaced is her new goal for her baby's outfits.

Spending $140 on an outfit that will be worn just long enough to get puked on is not a good investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I just hire sex workers to steal fruit from my neighbours' trees. They're reliable and it keeps them off the street.