Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shyrka posted:

I feel bad because I used to watch Sterling's videos fairly regularly, but yeah, rip. Every time I see one on youtube's front page I just hear the nasally "Triple AAAAAAAA," in my head and grimace.

Also I've been watching Tehsnakerer's Yakuza videos as I work through the series myself and they're legit good, would recommend.

fuckin savage burn there.

that's why I stopped watching their stuff though, I have enough relentless negativity in my life, I know that the gaming industry sucks, I simply do not need to be told that over and over with minor variations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hel posted:

Sterling also did work for the Vampire Survivor DLC, the game which was intentionally about bringing over dark patterns from the gambling industry, so they are kind of a hypocrite, about what ruins game.
also the writing they did for vampire survivors is genuinely some of the worst writing ive ever read

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think if you willingly type this you should be sent to jail

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

lol

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Philosophy Rube

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Is this supposed to be a joke? It reads like the kind of poo poo a chud would come up with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its meant to be a pro-trans joke but it mostly just come across as weird internet poisoned word salad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shyrka posted:

I feel bad because I used to watch Sterling's videos fairly regularly, but yeah, rip. Every time I see one on youtube's front page I just hear the nasally "Triple AAAAAAAA," in my head and grimace.

Also I've been watching Tehsnakerer's Yakuza videos as I work through the series myself and they're legit good, would recommend.

Sterling's last video I saw was about Dragon's Dogma 2 and I couldn't bring myself to watch because they're also complaining about the Dragon's Dogma 2 DLC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Sterling's last video I saw was about Dragon's Dogma 2 and I couldn't bring myself to watch because they're also complaining about the Dragon's Dogma 2 DLC.

she outright lied about how it worked and when people corrected her she got into a giant argument on twitter

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Endorph posted:

This reads like someone's create a character kickstarter reward.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Endorph posted:

she outright lied about how it worked and when people corrected her she got into a giant argument on twitter

It's not her fault. You gotta lie about the Dragon's Dogma 2 DLC.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Is Stirling still doing the early 2010's style humor that's just like a lot of whining and calling games things like "a puddle of human wank" or whatever or are they at least moving on from that while also still hating loot boxes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh good now I get to read about Sterling in stereo across multiple threads that's fun.

Anyhow, not that it'll stop this chat from going on for several more pages but if anyone else is checked out from the Dragon's Dogma 2 discussion here's some videos to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOroyR0F-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDVR73qUSXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLUYah9npPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bysERmrMvNg

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
on a whim, I preordered my son the deluxe DD2 version. he was saying, yeah, DLC is bad, but the negative reviews are difficult to understand and it's very weird that there's so many of them. lol.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Endorph posted:

this looks like a transphobe wrote it lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wizard2 posted:

on a whim, I preordered my son the deluxe DD2 version. he was saying, yeah, DLC is bad, but the negative reviews are difficult to understand and it's very weird that there's so many of them. lol.
everything in the dlc is just the little bonuses from the deluxe version lol. for some reason people think its an infinite cash shop

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i watched the nearly 2 hour long dan schneider video and would you believe me if i told quinton didnt make a single salient point the entire video its incredible...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i watched the nearly 2 hour long dan schneider video and would you believe me if i told quinton didnt make a single salient point the entire video its incredible...

Why would you admit to this

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sterling has an extreme aversion - or, perhaps, performs extreme aversion and disdain - towards friction in game design. It started with her review of Breath of the Wild that was so fixated on weapon durability.

It's a strange grievance to constantly express considering her avowed love of Bloodborne and Silent Hill 2, two extremely frictive games. But it's a significant pattern and she engages in routine intellectual dishonesty and incurious behavior.

Austin Walker had this to say:

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1772707294133788987?t=ebLDXFo1uiTtYCTcqWiwkQ&s=19

Austin "Underscore" Walker posted:

This is such an incurious position, I'm a little surprised by it. One of the most vital tasks I have as a critic is exploring my taste in relation to that of others. But to do that well, I have to accept that other people aren't lying about what they like and build from that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Spaced God posted:

Is Stirling still doing the early 2010's style humor that's just like a lot of whining and calling games things like "a puddle of human wank" or whatever or are they at least moving on from that while also still hating loot boxes

they have transitioned and changed their gimmick from fascist leader standing at a podium to circus performer standing at a performer they still make the same content complaining about AAA games and loot boxes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly, i wouldnt really call bloodborne and silent hill 2 that frictive. bloodborne is *hard* but the actual experience of playing the game does not really get in the player's way much. there are generally fast travel points near the bosses, there is rarely any need to grind, your stock of blood vials replenishes when you die, it is fairly hard to make a 'bad' build, all the starter weapon movesets are good, etc. silent hill 2 likewise has fairly clunky combat and some backtracking but its not really the same kind of thing as, say, a dragon's dogma, or some classical style dungeon crawlers.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
neither bloodborne nor silent hill 2 have weapon durability

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Silent Hill is interested in implementing gameplay mechanics that induce negative emotional experiences for the player. When modern games include mechanics that do not produce dopamine, Sterling has a habit of crying foul and claiming that no person has ever appreciated or desired such design choices.

I am not interested in relitigating the Zelda weapon durability arguments. I recognize that for some people, weapons breaking in BotW is insurmountably viscerally intolerable.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

ahahah yes!!! yes!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think weapon durability in the switch zelda games is implemented that well but for some reason people's brains broke and they decided that meant literally all weapon durability ever was bad

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

DoctorWhat posted:

Silent Hill is interested in implementing gameplay mechanics that induce negative emotional experiences for the player. When modern games include mechanics that do not produce dopamine, Sterling has a habit of crying foul and claiming that no person has ever appreciated or desired such design choices.

Silent Hill is from the good old days of game development, just ask any of the members of Team Silent :)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Endorph posted:

oh thats dreadful lol. baby's first metaphor poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

i dont think weapon durability in the switch zelda games is implemented that well but for some reason people's brains broke and they decided that meant literally all weapon durability ever was bad

This, basically. Part of it could be an intersection of Zelda-as-power-fantasy and Open World-as-power-fantasy being disrupted? I don't get the vitriol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its more just that theres a lot of people who pretend to be game design experts but only play nintendo and western aaa poo poo (and fromsoft games) so botw was the first game they ever played where weapon durability was a major factor

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Bloodborne does, you just don't notice it unless you are doing one of the weird blood gem builds that lowers weapon durability in exchange for attack boosts.

Or you main the Tonitrus, that things made out of paper.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Endorph posted:

your stock of blood vials replenishes when you die,

you do have to grind for these if you run out and it always sucks. and thr logarius run back blows

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

bloodborne has weapon durability. fake gamers huh.....

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Judge Tesla posted:

Bloodborne does, you just don't notice it unless you are doing one of the weird blood gem builds that lowers weapon durability in exchange for attack boosts.

Or you main the Tonitrus, that things made out of paper.

:kstare:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ahhh, thank you... the good old days

fun hater
May 24, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Silent Hill is interested in implementing gameplay mechanics that induce negative emotional experiences for the player.

look, as a huge, huge SH fan, this is cope. the gameplay mechanics are bad because all horror games had bad mechanics at the time. they were not unusual or interesting in how unpleasant they were to play

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

i think its more just that theres a lot of people who pretend to be game design experts but only play nintendo and western aaa poo poo (and fromsoft games) so botw was the first game they ever played where weapon durability was a major factor

Yeah. Nintendo myopia is a real phenomenon.

fun hater posted:

look, as a huge, huge SH fan, this is cope. the gameplay mechanics are bad because all horror games had bad mechanics at the time. they were not unusual or interesting in how unpleasant they were to play

I disagree! I fundamentally disagree. And I don't actually care whether the mechanics were "intentional" per se; the result is a game that has endured in the popular consciousness, Games endure when they impress significant memories on players by any means, including frustration. Not everyone's greatest memories of SH2 are wrestling with the controls, but everyone did wrestle with the controls and experience the strange tension and pacing that were intertwined with the controls.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 27, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Far Cry 2's weapon degradation is good, System Shock 2's weapon degradation is bad.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Endorph posted:

lmao

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

Endorph posted:

honestly, i wouldnt really call bloodborne and silent hill 2 that frictive. bloodborne is *hard* but the actual experience of playing the game does not really get in the player's way much. there are generally fast travel points near the bosses, there is rarely any need to grind, your stock of blood vials replenishes when you die, it is fairly hard to make a 'bad' build, all the starter weapon movesets are good, etc. silent hill 2 likewise has fairly clunky combat and some backtracking but its not really the same kind of thing as, say, a dragon's dogma, or some classical style dungeon crawlers.

blood vials actually don't replenish and people bitch about it all the time lol, but everything else is spot on and it tends to be the soulsborne people bounce off the least

edit: didn't realize I sat on the post so long lmao. bloodborne thread pileup

Mock Turtle fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'restock automatically from your inventory' i should say, you dont have to go back and manually buy them between deaths or smth. but yea if you do keep bombing out there is a bit of grinding in your future, point