Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Sindai posted:

I don't think the Blitzer is supposed to actually "arc" like the arc thrower does at all. Instead it just shoots 3 bolts that can all hit different targets or the same one.

Then again maybe it is supposed to do that. If it did its damage would probably feel okay against big groups of bugs.

It's weirdly effective against devastators because it'll fully stun them and aiming at the face it take maybe 2/3 hits, but any other bots it's totally useless. Yesterday I had something like 10 chainsaw dudes chasing me and I think it took something like 7 shots to take one of them down. That's seven shots with a full two seconds between shots too. Awufl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

AC is just so good against bots. It’s so accurate at range and can take out rocket devestators in a few hits and, more critically, it can stagger the shield devestators and make them vulnerable to follow up hits. It can be hard to nail a hulk in the eyes but you can usually do it if he’s coming towards you otherwise hit his vents.

It honestly feels like it needs a nerf. I think the biggest benefit it has that could be nerfed is taking out those ATST scout walker things in one hit even if you hit it right on the front armor because the splash apparently kills the driver. It should be harder to kill those dudes with the AC and grenade launcher imo and make them more of a threat when fighting head on.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

JBP posted:

Termicide was an unmitigated success what the hell are you talking about.

Don't tell the democracy officer ok maybe I leave these requisition slips on top of the stratagem hero cabinet and forget about em.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tom Tucker posted:

AC is just so good against bots. It’s so accurate at range and can take out rocket devestators in a few hits and, more critically, it can stagger the shield devestators and make them vulnerable to follow up hits. It can be hard to nail a hulk in the eyes but you can usually do it if he’s coming towards you otherwise hit his vents.

It honestly feels like it needs a nerf. I think the biggest benefit it has that could be nerfed is taking out those ATST scout walker things in one hit even if you hit it right on the front armor because the splash apparently kills the driver. It should be harder to kill those dudes with the AC and grenade launcher imo and make them more of a threat when fighting head on.

If you are feeling pity for open cockpit robots dying to explosives, the AMR is right there if you want a support weapon that still needs as many shots as a scorcher on average to kill scout walkers. You could also stick to nerfed safe mode railgun if you think the AMR is still too fast.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

what the gently caress is this bot sympathy

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Section Z posted:

You could also stick to nerfed safe mode railgun if you think the AMR is still too fast.
Please don't inflict the worst gun on anyone. I'd rather solo a mission with just the Scythe than try to make safe mode only Railgun work. That thing is a piece of garbage, murdered for bug crimes. The breaker nerf was completely fine and not really a big deal, the railgun nerf eviscerated it.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Tom Tucker posted:

Nah, it's fine. The Slugger and Plasma Punisher can also stunlock Devastators; and the Plasma Punisher and Scorcher can kill ATSTs from the front; and they don't require your support and backpack slot.

The AC's whole niche is dunking on medium stuff, while being capable of dealing with big stuff with good aim or positioning.

If the robots didn't want scout walkers to die to a stiff breeze they should have been fully enclosed.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 27, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

For some weird reason helldivers gravitate towards weapons that perform well against the bots most dangerous threat, groups of elite devastators.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Darox posted:

Please don't inflict the worst gun on anyone. I'd rather solo a mission with just the Scythe than try to make safe mode only Railgun work. That thing is a piece of garbage, murdered for bug crimes. The breaker nerf was completely fine and not really a big deal, the railgun nerf eviscerated it.

I used pre nerf railgun mostly because it was a support that could also quickly pop primary resistant spam on safe, and save suicide mode for special occasions. So the loss of safe mode power against spammy trash still resistant to primary weapons, bothered me more than the loss of unsafe charger legging efficiency.

Though a lot of my mindset there was because of all the other players with autocannons constantly ignoring scout walkers shooting people in the back, leaving me to clean up the mess. "Wow, suddenly 20 ammo does NOT seem like a lot holy poo poo maybe I should get in on this 50 spare ammo thing."

While it is one thing to be shocked that the final support weapon was in fact, final weapon tier against all heavy armor? People being upset about ANY support weapons being more than glorified primary weapons with a cooldown is just baffling to me. Dominator with the supply pack is what you get with an autocannon that can't pop walkers head on.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 27, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Had a wild drop on a bot mission last night. Host apparently picked the middle of a medium outpost, but we managed to put a hellpod through each factory (and survive, which was just as surprising).

Freedoms here you commie computers!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got a friend in my group getting really, really salty about having to run from encounters at diff 7 and limping across the finish line (successfully). Starting to get goddamn annoying, we're finishing campaigns but certainly not getting boatloads of XP but also we're level 30 so who cares? Just frustrating having one guy constantly standing still trying to kill everything and getting killed repeatedly while never learning their lesson.

Also I used the arc thrower again last night against the bots and it does kinda rip. The thing I struggle with is not being able to panic fire at a group bearing down on me if teammates are around and having to swap weapons real quick. Not really a huge deal but just something to keep in mind if you're getting swarmed.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

somehow lost my primary weapon last mission

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Now that Arc is back I enjoyed being basically invincible in diff 7 bug missions again. Tbh it was a little boring bc a breech would come and it’s just a chore of clicking arc till they are all dead, no real threat. Only trick is prioritizing hunters so they don’t get close.

I played bots now that the major order is there and I do not remember bots being so hard but yeesh. Taking fights against bots is rough. I don’t love the autocannon like everyone else does. The AMR feels bad to snipe with for some reason. The diligence feels better. I tried the ballistic shield backpack with the smg and it’s kinda fun but I ended up getting hit a lot more than I thought I would and it constantly glitches into that t-pose animation where the shield isn’t covering you anymore. And explosions make you drop the shield, which isn’t necessarily obvious. Beserkers are really annoying, those guys have endless health and the current planet is extreme heat which ruins stamina, making it hard to run from them.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Is it just me or is the Liberator Penetrator not good? Ran it vs bots and was very underwhelmed with its performance, despite the medium armor pen

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dren posted:

The AMR feels bad to snipe with for some reason.

the sight is off, aim for the upper left of the reticle box

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Mr. Fish posted:

Is it just me or is the Liberator Penetrator not good? Ran it vs bots and was very underwhelmed with its performance, despite the medium armor pen

Not just you. It needs a buff of some sort to make it a viable alternative to the regular Liberator - either an increase in damage after penetrating armor or an increase in magazine size, such as 45 rounds to match the original Liberator. I really tried to like the Lib Pen, but there was no denying the regular Liberator and the SMG Defender just did the job better.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Lore fiends: someone in my discord asked a question I find myself unable to answer.

When we call reinforcements, is the new Helldiver supposed to be a different person or the same one that just died, perhaps cloned or something?

I'm sure this must have been addressed in the lore somewhere right?

sometimes when you start the game and come out of cryo your ship master will say congratulations on completing your training the ship is yours helldiver. you’re a new person.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mr. Fish posted:

It's Medium armor pen isn't very helpful vs. Bots because their medium armored enemies have a bunch of HP and weakpoints that aren't very armored. And the Liberator P has the worst damage per mag for a primary in the game, the only guns with with less are the starter pistol and the revolver.

It's much more useful vs. Bugs, particularly if you're using a stalwart for trash clearing... its easy to dump a mag into a brood commander's head then swap back to the stalwart.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 27, 2024

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you're against bots, Scorcher, grenade launcher with ammo pack, and stun grenades makes a very good combination. Scorcher will two-hit the walkers in the cab, or deal with infantry in a pinch. The grenade launcher can deal with everything , including Hulks (stun grenades come in here) and tanks. The ammo pack negates the main downside of both weapons, and you get the bonus of being a strong utility to the team as a whole as well.

If you're not feeling the Scorcher then the Punisher and Slugger both excel against bots. Punisher because it can stunlock Devastators (including the shield ones) and Berserkers; Slugger because it can punch through Devastators and kill walkers with leg/crotch shots.

And yes, the Liberator Penetrator is, despite its name, flaccid.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

if I get exploded and drop all my samples and then dart back to where my corpse & equipment is, but the samples are missing -- is that likely because my team collected them while I was dead or did they just disappear?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
A poo poo ton of people have been suggesting the stun grenades. Guess I should buy that pack.

How's the giant laser gun for bots? It looks like a fun gun to use, but I am not sure if that's worth taking over the auto Cannon.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Video Nasty posted:

if I get exploded and drop all my samples and then dart back to where my corpse & equipment is, but the samples are missing -- is that likely because my team collected them while I was dead or did they just disappear?

They don’t disappear, your team probably snatched them.

Explosions can scatter the little sample vial though so it could travel. Minimap will show the beaker if so.

If they fall into deep water or down a bug hole (or recently three of us managed to get stuck in a bit of weird cliff geometry and had to be humanely executed by Hell Diver #4) then they can’t be retrieved but will be stuck on the map.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Team grabbed them. Even in goon lobbies when I drop them at extract they are immediately grabbed. Even after sharing how I lost everything to a bot rocket because I was as last to board.

They will be grabbed.

Unless it’s way the gently caress out there and you did some stupid poo poo. Then I’m gonna say thats rough and call for extract.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mesadoram posted:

A poo poo ton of people have been suggesting the stun grenades. Guess I should buy that pack.

How's the giant laser gun for bots? It looks like a fun gun to use, but I am not sure if that's worth taking over the auto Cannon.

It's good. When I take it I use it as my primary for most of the mission and switch to the actual primary when it wants to cool down. It will burn the launchers off missile Devastators very quickly, and it pops their heads with ease. It will very quickly kill a stunned Hulk with fire into the vision slit, or any heavy or turret if you can see the vents.

All round a good pick for bots, but it does lack a certain feeling of feedback when you fire. And while it is good for Berserkers at range, close in against them I feel like I'm still swapping to my machine pistol.

Like the grenade launcher it leaves your back free to carry a supply pack, but because it doesn't care for ammo you could also just mule a spare spear/AC/RR pack for a friend once he can call it in.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Are there mission types with lower enemy density, and are there density differences between 7 and 9? I watched a couple "stealth solo" videos on 9, and thought I'd try it a bit because it seems fun. Hopped into a 7, and after popping the first bugs at the main objective, was instantly swarmed from three directions when I know there were no patrols going by (or my map was lying!) while using the "decrease time between encounters" perk. Tried with bots after that and got the same thing. Sniped two bots on mounted guns and within 20 seconds had three bot drops with tanks and all sorts of stuff right on top of me. Could be luck of the draw and those zany YouTubers don't post the 83 failed runs before the good one I guess, but was wondering if there was a way to influence it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I have enough super credits for one of the 2 war bonds. Which one should I get first, and should I finish off the original warbond before spending warbonds on one of the premium ones?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's good. When I take it I use it as my primary for most of the mission and switch to the actual primary when it wants to cool down. It will burn the launchers off missile Devastators very quickly, and it pops their heads with ease. It will very quickly kill a stunned Hulk with fire into the vision slit, or any heavy or turret if you can see the vents.

All round a good pick for bots, but it does lack a certain feeling of feedback when you fire. And while it is good for Berserkers at range, close in against them I feel like I'm still swapping to my machine pistol.

Like the grenade launcher it leaves your back free to carry a supply pack, but because it doesn't care for ammo you could also just mule a spare spear/AC/RR pack for a friend once he can call it in.

Awesome! I will totally give it a whirl next time I am on.

Also, I finally hit 20 but I don't have enough resources to buy the shield backpack :smith:.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RC Cola posted:

I have enough super credits for one of the 2 war bonds. Which one should I get first, and should I finish off the original warbond before spending warbonds on one of the premium ones?

The newest warbond has the Sickle in the first tier which is really good. And it's up to you, really. I go back and forth but also the weapons later on in any of the warbonds so far kinda suck so I've been not worrying too much about actually finishing them and saving medals for possibly a new one later.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

It's okay, it's definitely worse than the AC since you basically have to take a shield pack because getting flinched with it is really annoying, and it functionally requires you to expose yourself for a while to work.

I would like it more if it got the Liberators sight since it's pretty accurate and the zoom / precision reticule would be helpful.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 27, 2024

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

What's the trick to using the arc thrower? Seems like half the time I fire it, nothing happens, even if I've fully charged it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Cutting Edge has some nice early unlocks like the Sickle and stun grenades.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FeculentWizardTits posted:

What's the trick to using the arc thrower? Seems like half the time I fire it, nothing happens, even if I've fully charged it.

The first shot requires a full charge. Subsequent shots can be fired about once per second.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

The first shot requires a full charge. Subsequent shots can be fired about once per second.

Oh poo poo have I been using the Arc thrower wrong? I thought you had to charge it up for every shot.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo have I been using the Arc thrower wrong? I thought you had to charge it up for every shot.

You can apparently also head shot with it to, found out today that 3 charged shots to the head can kill a Charger.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
None of the warbonds expire, so it's down to what you want to get first.

The basic warbond has some good stuff sprinkled throughout, and the Scorcher I was posting about previously is at the end of it.

Steeled Veterans has good medium and heavy armour for throwing further. It has the very fun but flawed revolver, and the incendiary grenades. I'd say those are its main gameplay draws.

Cutting Edge has the Sickle laser carbine, which is an actually good gun. The Localisation Booster which increases time between bug breaches/dropship flares. And the stun grenades which, in my opinion take Hulks, Chargers, and Bile Titans from potentially quite scary to entirely manageable.

We're just about two weeks from another warbond becoming available as I understand it, so you may want to hold off to see what that is while working on the basic one. Really comes down to what seems fun to you right now I guess.

Infidelicious posted:

It's okay, it's definitely worse than the AC since you basically have to take a shield pack because getting flinched with it is really annoying, and it functionally requires you to expose yourself for a while to work.

I disagree that you have to take the shield pack, I've done fine without one. That said I do agree that it would be a synergistic improvement. Just not a vital one.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 27, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Lore fiends: someone in my discord asked a question I find myself unable to answer.

When we call reinforcements, is the new Helldiver supposed to be a different person or the same one that just died, perhaps cloned or something?

I'm sure this must have been addressed in the lore somewhere right?

the default option is for the voice to be randomized each time you spawn. Its a different helldiver every time. For the equipment, imagine its the loadout provided by the ship, as chosen by the helldiver that started the mission.

the ship is the main character.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The revolver is the coolest poo poo, I highly recommend it

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

johnny park posted:

The devs have explicitly stated that they do not do this and all instances of this stuff happening are hackers

The devs also explicitly stated there are no flying bugs yet here we are.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mesadoram posted:

Awesome! I will totally give it a whirl next time I am on.

Also, I finally hit 20 but I don't have enough resources to buy the shield backpack :smith:.

Run an evening with goons on higher difficulties and you will have those resources in a heartbeat.

And by heartbeat I mean at the end of the session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
The JAR-5 from Steeled Veterans seemed pretty good, too - but it's on the last page.