Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I will be able to touch the poop, rub it on my face, nipples, etc. and still get out in time to make money while someone else holds the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

withak posted:

Pretty sure I will be able to touch the poop, rub it on my face, nipples, etc. and still get out in time to make money while someone else holds the bag.

This is what bag holders always say

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Can’t link better where I am now, but Trump has a gag order in the NY hush money case. Not much in the way of spicy details, just the kind of “no you can’t threaten witnesses or court staff” thing you’d figure would be implicit.

Kind of liking Judge Merchan so far. Acting pretty reasonable from the jump instead of needing to be goaded into it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can’t link better where I am now, but Trump has a gag order in the NY hush money case. Not much in the way of spicy details, just the kind of “no you can’t threaten witnesses or court staff” thing you’d figure would be implicit.

Kind of liking Judge Merchan so far. Acting pretty reasonable from the jump instead of needing to be goaded into it.

Trump truthed out a post making GBS threads on Merchan’s daughter last night.

270 million in bonds and an immanent criminal trial may not be, “The Mattering” yet but it’s certainly not good.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Murgos posted:

Trump truthed out a post making GBS threads on Merchan’s daughter last night.

270 million in bonds and an immanent criminal trial may not be, “The Mattering” yet but it’s certainly not good.

any other person, after getting their rear end handed to them in back-to-back civil trials, would be tossing out the playbook and looking for a whole new strategy. but not our boy donald, he's gonna keep calling the same plays over and over again while screaming at his lawyers to execute better, until he's either in jail or in the white house again

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DeeplyConcerned posted:

But ask the people who are most likely to commit crimes - your hard-core gangsters, people who rob drug dealers- and they will say prison is really not that bad. A bit boring maybe and without some of the pleasures that you get on the outside, but largely tolerable and not something you really need to take any effort to actively avoid. Give them the option to do a six-month treatment program, followed by release or else face a solid two years inside and a great majority will choose to do the time. Because the treatment program involves work, accountability, activities, thinking and talking. It's a major drag. The fact that they don't see it as worth it to avoid the prison sentence tells us a lot about how scared they are of prison or how awful it will be.

So prison is not really a deterrent for the people we most want to deter. But it sure as hell is for your average person. put a low level drug dealer or user in prison and watch their life crumble. In the final ironic twist, these people then leave prison with greater antisocial tendencies than when they went in because they learn from the hard-core offenders who are hanging out, enjoying their sentence.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

(My more substantive critique of the legal system is that I don't really believe that the human brain is responsible enough for making the choices it makes that a punishment model makes any sense; functionally speaking we're all incompetent to stand trial.

Not trying to eat (another) probe, but between these two arguments, it's sounding like we're a couple of logic train stops along the path from "the only punishment for crime can be death"; it's just a matter of figuring out where the line is or if we want to go full Mega City 1 and gun down jaywalkers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Not trying to eat (another) probe, but between these two arguments, it's sounding like we're a couple of logic train stops along the path from "the only punishment for crime can be death"; it's just a matter of figuring out where the line is or if we want to go full Mega City 1 and gun down jaywalkers.

I mean this in the nicest way : you should take another logic class then. Those don’t follow as consequents.

Like, I don’t know how you got to “and clearly capital punishment is good”, but you did and you shouldn’t have.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Even if no punishment can truly deter violent criminals, there would still be no justification for the state inflicting the irreparable harm of death on a person, when in the real world we know that the process cannot possibly be 100% correct in its determinations.

If that position leads to the abolition of prison, then so be it. The state will just have to find other, better ways to protect people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

C. Everett Koop posted:

I mean, I don't agree that the punishment model works at all, yes. The actual answer justifying the punishment system is not that it deters crime directly (it doesn't) but rather that it prevents vigilantes by satisfying people's revenge lust sufficiently to prevent them from going on rampages in reprisal.

If you want to prevent crime clean up pollution and institute a UBI and universal health care.

Edit: also legalize weed and teach anger management in public schools.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 26, 2024

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Oh, so it's crypto.

It would be Trump that pushes all the grifts together as one and makes everyone sort out what it means. Always on the cutting edge of grift innovation.

I mean the next rich guy move is pull loans out on the collateral of the stock. Not sell it. It will hold his value as long as he HLDDS. Which institution he manages to con that into is the question right now. And what grift he launches on the back of this one will make the previous one look straightforward.

This is bad news. And poo poo like this really needs to stop. He's really just playing the same exact trick all the crypto startup scams did, but added the Xtra twist of it being a stock, which by itself is a much more entrenched financial instrument. Don't forget he knows the rules. We were all laughing at this situation a couple weeks ago. It has that "poo poo, I see the way he's going wriggle out of this." Feeling to it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like how this spends all of one paragraph on how this is clearly an illegal campaign contribution at this point.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mdemone posted:

Even if no punishment can truly deter violent criminals, there would still be no justification for the state inflicting the irreparable harm of death on a person, when in the real world we know that the process cannot possibly be 100% correct in its determinations.

If that position leads to the abolition of prison, then so be it. The state will just have to find other, better ways to protect people.

That’s how we get Australia’s though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

I like how this spends all of one paragraph on how this is clearly an illegal campaign contribution at this point.

That seems reasonable to me, given that it’s really just speculation about how a court might rule on it. What else would you have wanted them to add?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

single-mode fiber posted:

Yeah, I mean everyone except for the most insane true believers knows this stock is a zero in the long run. But, it's too attractive of a target, and sucks in people to trade purely adversarial to other traders. You know the old forum rule, "don't touch the poop?" That's basically how it goes with this stuff. We all know it's poop, but, unless someone has poop-handling expertise in capital markets, they're likely to just end up getting their hands gross.

Also people who would quite like to be friends with trump in the event he is president again

Caros
May 14, 2008

So trump violated the NY gag order (no, that was the other NY gag order, this one is criminal that one was civil) in under 24 hours by continuing his attacks on Merchan's daughter in a deranged four part rant.

Surely this will matter.

Being pithy aside, it is frustrating that he keeps getting freebies. Yeah we gave him a gag order, but he can threaten the judge's daughter once more. As a treat. Then maybe he'll get a small fine.

Caros fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 27, 2024

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Caros posted:

So trump violated the NY gag order (no, that was the other NY gag order, this one is criminal that one was civil) in under 24 hours by continuing his attacks on Merchan's daughter in a deranged four part rant.

Surely this will matter.

Being pithy aside, it is frustrating that he keeps getting freebies. Yeah we gave him a gag order, but he can threaten the judge's daughter once more. As a treat. Then maybe he'll get a small fine.

Only solution is the dissolution of the government and the corrupt legal system it supports.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A small fine, but not too big of a fine, because permanently impacting his finances is irreparable harm

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
the thing is what do you do if he violates the gag order? what punishment can you enact that does anything? it's another "rich people operate on a different level and the law doesn't apply"

if you fine him the amount you fine him is probably negligible to him unless you can escalate it into the millions quickly. If you throw him in jail you'll have someone burn down your house and then the case will get appealed and tossed for you being biased

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Levitate posted:

the thing is what do you do if he violates the gag order? what punishment can you enact that does anything? it's another "rich people operate on a different level and the law doesn't apply"

if you fine him the amount you fine him is probably negligible to him unless you can escalate it into the millions quickly. If you throw him in jail you'll have someone burn down your house and then the case will get appealed and tossed for you being biased

This is a specific Trump problem that doesn't apply to your run of the mill rich people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1773000532678058237

Lol he violated the gently caress out of it

Caros
May 14, 2008

Literally 'how is it fair that I can't constantly insult the family of the court'.

Jail is the answer. Put the bastards in jail citing his long history of violating gag orders and his blatant contempt of Court. Actually punish him like you would anyone else who threatened a judge's daughter.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Sounds like he understands it right, tho.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Devolving into playground rules of "she said first!!" plays huge with his idiotic base. Complete insanity that the rule of law means nothing for the side of "law and order" because the big guy shouts that everything is unfair.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I would argue that Trump maybe has a more realistic understanding of what his relationship with the legal system is and in what ways it does and does not apply to him than many of the pundits commenting on the case does. He has a better understanding of class politics than many leftists do. He’s right to feel safe posting that, is what I’m saying, based on his class position and the entire history of his life. In fact, posting that might be an essential, important part of maintaining his class position.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awaiting the stern letter/warning from the judge. And the same when it happens again. And again, to infinity and beyond. He's not going to go to jail. He'll get some piddly fine with one of the very stern and serious warnings.

e: already beaten

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Caros posted:

Surely this will matter.

According to AP and CNN, the gag order does not prohibit Trump from attacking Merchan or his family. I guess the judge doesn't count as "court staff"?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's Trump deliberately attacking someone not covered by the gag order in hopes of provoking an emotional ruling that can get everything thrown out on appeal.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Main Paineframe posted:

According to AP and CNN, the gag order does not prohibit Trump from attacking Merchan or his family. I guess the judge doesn't count as "court staff"?

The judge definitely doesn’t count. They’re essentially public figures. His family feels like they should be off-limits.

Of course, I think we all know what would happen if a regular defendant attacked the judge.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah the judge and Bragg are free game because they’re public figures. They’re specifically left out of the gag order.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I'd be shocked if the order doesn't cover his family given that it was put in place because trump attacked the judge's daughter and Trump is specifically whining that he is not allowed to attack the judge's daughter.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

selec posted:

I would argue that Trump maybe has a more realistic understanding of what his relationship with the legal system is and in what ways it does and does not apply to him than many of the pundits commenting on the case does. He has a better understanding of class politics than many leftists do. He’s right to feel safe posting that, is what I’m saying, based on his class position and the entire history of his life. In fact, posting that might be an essential, important part of maintaining his class position.

He understands the rich and powerful are above the law in america. Always has.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Asproigerosis posted:

He understands the rich and powerful are above the law in america. Always has.

Exactly. How many times does trump have to prove this before we believe it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BDawg posted:

The judge definitely doesn’t count. They’re essentially public figures. His family feels like they should be off-limits.

Of course, I think we all know what would happen if a regular defendant attacked the judge.

I'm trying to picture Trump throwing himself over the bench like that one guy did a few weeks ago

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

mdemone posted:

I'm trying to picture Trump throwing himself over the bench like that one guy did a few weeks ago

From Big Ups to Bigly Oops

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Caros posted:

I'd be shocked if the order doesn't cover his family given that it was put in place because trump attacked the judge's daughter and Trump is specifically whining that he is not allowed to attack the judge's daughter.

If it doesn’t say in black and white that he specifically can’t do XYZ (and XYZ is not otherwise illegal) then there’s nothing preventing it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

If it doesn’t say in black and white that he specifically can’t do XYZ (and XYZ is not otherwise illegal) then there’s nothing preventing it.

One would think 'court staff and the families' would include the judge's family. But apparently not.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Caros posted:

One would think 'court staff and the families' would include the judge's family. But apparently not.
trump cannot speak about lawyers in the case, court staff, employees in the D.A.’s office and their family members if those statements are made with the “intent to materially interfere” with the proceedings.

so now we have to argue what "family" means and what trump's intent was and, since we can't see what's in trump's heart, we can't be SURE he did this with the intent to interfere. or that it was malicious. he might have been smiling the entire time he tweeted that. can YOU prove that trump's tweets interfere? he's not "interfering" he's just talkin'!

also, as usual, if we punish trump now he'll use that punishment to win later. they have to let trump win now or he'll use that loss to win later.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

trump cannot speak about lawyers in the case, court staff, employees in the D.A.’s office and their family members if those statements are made with the “intent to materially interfere” with the proceedings.

so now we have to argue what "family" means and what trump's intent was and, since we can't see what's in trump's heart, we can't be SURE he did this with the intent to interfere. or that it was malicious. he might have been smiling the entire time he tweeted that. can YOU prove that trump's tweets interfere? he's not "interfering" he's just talkin'!

also, as usual, if we punish trump now he'll use that punishment to win later. they have to let trump win now or he'll use that loss to win later.

The court system works in a particular way. Going in guns blazing on a defendant can and will get rulings on non-rich defendants who don't have sycophants waiting everywhere to get him off on a technically waiting everywhere overturned. It's specifically why judges are extra cautious about hitting Trump.

You know this.

EDIT: Like, getting the judges worked up and angry so they make a rash judgement out of emotion is the entire point of the tweets. If they do that, then he walks.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 27, 2024

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I get why lots of people are feeling despondent , heck I've felt fatalistic and the ennui that comes from seeming futility, but Trump hasn't won yet. He got an extension for the song of musical chairs he's playing, but he's steadily losing options for when the music does finally stop for real.

It's bullshit he gets these many opportunities but its not at all guaranteed he can fully escape either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

knowing that he's miserable and stressed and hemorrhaging money and all three of those things are going to be true for the foreseeable future is enough for me right now. it's a little victory and certainly not what i was promised but i'll take what i can get. the hungry man doesn't starve out of spite when the offered meal turns out to be a few morsels