Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Most of the stories we share here are about people with too much drama in their life, but there are also people without enough

AITA for not standing still while my wife went to pluck a hair on my face?

quote:

I'm a 32 year old bald dude with hairs that will randomly appear in other places. It's not often, but I don't look too closely at myself, so sometimes a hair can get long enough to be seen by someone else. Last night there was a hair on the top of my right ear that appeared and had probably been there all day.

My wife looks much more closely at me than I do and will call me out whenever there is anything outside the normal of my appearance. She will occasionally groom my eyebrows and I don't have any problems with this. It's actually very calming sitting on her lap.

I care about how I personally look to some extent. However, I don't like pausing my routine. This is where the incident started.

We were getting ready for bed and since I was away at work all day, we were chatting and had some playful banter. As I'm brushing my teeth, my wife tells me I have a long hair on my ear and she immediately goes in to grab it. At the same time I lean forward to spit my toothpaste and she tells me to hold still. I playfully tell her that I'm in the middle of brushing my teeth and that I don't care about the hair. She's says to let her just get it real quick and I say that's totally fine, but I'm not going to stop my bedtime routine for her to pick at my face because that's not one of my steps. I fully consent to her physically grooming me if she wants to, but in that moment, I was doing something else and she wasn't considering me. She was only focused on the hair! I wish she had waited till a better moment and had asked instead of just going for it. if she really needed to pluck my ear hair right away, she would have to do it while I was moving.

I was being playful, but she got irritated and it snowballed into this awkward dance until she finally got the hair. The rest of the night was awkward and I'm feeling like I should have just caved and stood still for a moment. I had to leave for work early this morning and wish I didn't leave things tense. AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

The 'no garden' guy reminded me of an anecdote from an Isaac Asimov book. He grew up in NYC and pretty much always lived in a big city. Once some friends invited him to their house, and offered to make dinner with veggies they had grown themselves. Without thinking he responded "Eat something from the DIRT?" and they laughed and assumed he was making a joke - but he actually had to make himself calm down and accept that yes, vegetables come out of the dirt.

It looks like they do on their website: https://www.fda.gov/food/meat-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/fda-regulated-meats-and-meat-products-human-consumption

EDIT: Oh, you're separating USDA and FDA, I figured the guy was just using FDA as shorthand for 'federal inspector'.

asimovs robot series is exactly what i thought of to.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

artsy fartsy posted:

Most of the stories we share here are about people with too much drama in their life, but there are also people without enough

She should get a laser and spice things up a bit

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Alchemist posted:

https://youtu.be/V83JR2IoI8k?si=FnJLC4VVJ8TMQsje

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The Alchemist posted:

OP: turns off lights to get into bed
Wife:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Kurieg posted:

AITA because I won't speak Japanese to my non-Japanese co worker?

Just watch english-dubbed anime on your break and he'll never bother you again.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kurieg posted:

And while you're at it maybe you can act out a scene from one of his favorite animes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And while you're at it maybe you can act out a scene from one of his favorite animes.

Just tell the weeb that your favorite anime is dragon ball GT

That’ll fix it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

FMguru posted:

Yet another hilarious TikTok breakup "prank" story:

AITAH for breaking up over a prank

Pete approves (although he would say you probably should have broken up after the first time she "tested" you).

It's not a prank if you actually do it!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kurieg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLt5qSm9U80

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kenshin posted:

It 100% is, probably some variation of "people who actually love you will fight to keep you!" bullshit

It's exactly this, they expect their partner to freak out or grovel to get back in their good graces because they're hosed in the head. The blocking & refusing calls means they want someone to physically track them down to figure out what's going on & that's some sociopathic poo poo nobody should put up with.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

She should know better than to try and groom him when he isn't sitting on her calming lap

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Enemabag Jones posted:

The latest update is less of a bummer, thankfully.

(UPDATE) My (23F) boyfriend (27M) doesn't care that men tried to break into my house

I won't lie I have been devastated - even sewerslidal

Extraordinary

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cowabunga!!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is that one of those things like "panda" where they're just doing it because of some sort of ban on specific words?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think that's one of those words people use to avoid getting censored on social media rather than an eggcorn

Edit:
^^^ yeah

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Yes. But what is panda a codename for?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pandemic

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s even more irritating when people say it out loud. I was talking to a coworker over Zoom the other day and she actually said “Back in the early days of the panini…”

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Lone Badger posted:

Home canning is another thing that’s easy to gently caress up and can be lethal.
Bottling fruit etc is fine because of the acid, but I would honestly recommend against packing anything you’re not confident is below pH 4.2.
(If you use vinegar to make it acidic that’s once again fine, as are fermented vegetables in a sufficently-strong brine)
But! You need to be careful who you buy your vinegar from! Store-brand and cheap vinegars are now below the level of acidity to make them safe for canning. A new version of shrinkflation. Always buy 5% acid vinegar, and always check the bottle.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It’s even more irritating when people say it out loud. I was talking to a coworker over Zoom the other day and she actually said “Back in the early days of the panini…”

On the other hand, saying "The 'rona" is really fun.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

oh jay posted:

On the other hand, saying "The 'rona" is really fun.

I'm still partial to coof

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It's just wish fulfillment. Instead of millions dying, it was a social media craze where millions ate a fine pressed crusty sammich.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I used to work with a woman who would say "unalive/unalived" out loud. Even when it wasn't in reference to a suicide. If she was talking about anyone who was dead (like, celebrity death news or something) she would say unalive. Really weird.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

b-b-b-but you guys language is fluid and nothing is stupid

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

FMguru posted:

Yet another hilarious TikTok breakup "prank" story:

AITAH for breaking up over a prank

Pete approves (although he would say you probably should have broken up after the first time she "tested" you).

The target of the 'prank' is the person who falls for the obvious tiktok bullshit, not the person they try that poo poo out on.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Instead of Pandemic, I will now say Panic! at the Disco.

Content:

AITA for telling my friend she shouldn’t feel threatened by her stepdaughter?

quote:

I (26F) have a close 45 year old friend that started out as my “work mum”. We have worked together for 2 years and she has become like family. When my own mum passed, she sort of stepped into the role and now I spend a lot of time with her and her children are like my siblings. She has a blended family, so she has a son and daughter from a previous marriage and her husband has 2 daughters from a previous marriage.

The more time I spend with them as a family, the more I see a difference in how she treats her husband’s kids versus her own, particularly his 15-year-old daughter (who I will call T) and I feel like everything came to a head this past weekend.

There was a family gathering for someone’s birthday and a little party was held where my husband (27M) and I were invited. It was a good time and we started taking photos all together. We snapped one photo of my husband playfully holding her 11 year old stepdaughter upside down by her ankles and while this was being taken, T jumped on my husband’s back for another photo. I just thought they were funny photos and didn’t think anything of it.

My work friend came up to me and said quietly “um, that’s your husband.” I was confused and said I hadn’t forgotten. She asked if I was okay with T crawling all over him like that. I was uncomfortable with what she was insinuating and tried to laugh it off by saying oh I’m not intimidated by a 15 year old. She then raised her eyebrows and said she wouldn’t always be 15 and to keep an eye on her otherwise she might steal my husband one day. This really shocked me and I just said if he can be taken, I don’t want him. She then told me that I was being too chill with the whole situation and that it sometimes makes her uncomfortable how close T is with her husband. I think my jaw hit the floor. I said you mean her dad? It makes you uncomfortable how close she is with her dad? She said she just doesn’t like how he goes running to her whenever she’s upset and she doesn’t think he realises she’s a woman now and a close relationship like that isn’t appropriate because he’s a married man.

I lost my cool then and told her I couldn’t believe what she had just said and that it is really hosed up that she sees her stepdaughter as some kind of twisted competition. She brushed me off by saying she would be the same way with any woman being that close to her husband. I said I understand insecurity, but this is his daughter and that she may need help if she is truly upset with their relationship. She got teary and went inside at this point and my husband and I left shortly after as the party was winding down anyway.

I’m now wondering if I was too harsh and is there maybe some dynamic I’m not aware of, but I really can’t see my friend as anything but the evil step mother now.

AITA?

Emphasis added.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Quackles posted:

AITA for telling my friend she shouldn’t feel threatened by her stepdaughter?

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. (The stepmother, not OP)

There is similar drama in the comments too!

quote:

NTA

Oh OP 10 years ago I went through a VERY similar situation with a workmate who met a guy and married him……She immediately treated his daughters as competition and would get jealous anytime they would want to go to a movie, bowling etc ….normal things with their dad

Mind you when it came to her 3 kids from a previous marriage she expected him to immediately play the doting father

When I pointed that out to her she said “I didn’t understand relationships” and I said she was going to end up alone

Tragically a year later his oldest daughter age 21 was murdered by an abusive boyfriend and the marriage broke up when she told him he needed to “Get over it”

Last I heard she was alone and even her own kids no longer speak to her……Your work friend is going to end up the same way if she doesn’t seek therapy for her insecurities

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yikes galore

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

vonnegutt posted:

Before she had her first child, my sister bought extremely fancy baby clothes - think Victorian level ruffles and ribbons, lots of white and materials that would require ironing, hand-washing, etc. We all rolled our eyes but she insisted that her baby wouldn't be caught dead wearing boring tacky baby clothes.

Now that her child is almost 2, they mostly wear T-shirts and overalls. Turns out babies are messy and hard on clothes. Machine washable and easily replaced is her new goal for her baby's outfits.

Spending $140 on an outfit that will be worn just long enough to get puked on is not a good investment.
Also that infant will grow out of the newborn onesie in like a month.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Last night there was a hair on the top of my right ear that appeared and had probably been there all day.

Yep, that long hair on your ear just sprouted up since this morning. Since you "don't look to closely at yourself" you are lucky to have a partner who will take care of your nasty inappropriate hairs, sit still for ten seconds and let her get rid of it you buffoon.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for unintentionally coming across as fatphobic to my bio-family who I never met before?

quote:

I (36m) was a day-one adoption. Bio-parents never even saw me.

My (adopted) parents raised their family where we were encouraged to be healthy, but not pushed to be crazy about it. Like, eat healthy and walk when you can, but not necessarily feel pushed to do sports or go to the gym. (I do exercise regularly though)

Anyway, I never really had a burning desire to find my bio-family, but I received a DNA kit from a coworker as a birthday gift and figured there was no harm. (They don't know I'm adopted). What I didn't expect was to find a full-blooded sister. Turns out, I have three sisters and a brother.

She reached out to me first, and after a few months back and forth, and advice from my dad, I drove out to see them over the holidays.

When I drove up to the house, I admittedly thought I had the wrong address at first. The whole family, siblings, parents, grandparents, etc were outside waiting for me. They were also all morbidly obese. I don't mean that figuratively. My bio-mother is basically Darlene Cates from What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and they didn't get much smaller from there.

With that said, I tried to put it out of my mind and focus on the positive of meeting my family. The visit was going okay (it felt a little forced) until dinner. A literal feast was prepared to the extent that there were more options than I could eat. In the end, I could only manage a plate and a half. The rest of the visit went fine, and I left happy to have met them.

It wasn't until I got home that I saw the missed messages. I was accused of being a fatphobic ahole. Everything from my initial confusion when I arrived to how little I ate was scrutinized. I was told I made everyone feel judged and unwanted.

I honestly don't care about people's weight, but I also won't pretend that I wasn't put off by them at first. In my defense, I wasn't expecting them to be so heavy, but I also think I demonstrated that I wasn't going to let myself judge a book by its cover.

Don't you see! By you not being fat and eating a 6 foot party sub by yourself that made us feel that maybe it's not genetics and we could be better than we were! How dare you have crawled out of that crab bucket when you were 1 day old get back in here!

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

OP posted:

Would I be the ah if I texted my husband’s best friend (female) to see her reaction?

My husband has this best friend from college time. I never had issues with her until my wedding a month ago when my maid of honor overheard her snapping at another friend of theirs that “She has him when she wants him” when the friend teased her that she lost him and he was the one who got away.

I told my husband about it a dew days ago (didn’t want to ruin our honeymoon but it was still in my head) but he denied anything happened between them. He was very calm when he said it. Almost too calm? Anyway I have no proof and I trust him. Until I used his phone when mine died. He was driving and I was making a playlist on his phone. Then I looked through his iMessages and he had NO thread with her. I mean I know for a fact that they text. Nothing.

I didn’t say anything but last night I literally saw her name pop up amongst the texts. When he went to bed I looked and there were no texts. He is deleting them! Now my question is: if I ask he will deny it. I need to know and I need proof. Would I be the AH if I initiated a conversation with her acting like I’m my husband and see what’s up?

I need proof and peace of mind

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Not gorging until you vomit is fatphobic.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Bio family is upset he torpedoed their 'it's genetics' excuse for being fat

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Not gorging until you vomit is fatphobic.

I like that he ate a plate and a half as well but that wasn't enough.

mystes
May 31, 2006

it would be funny if he's just using a different app and the OP blows up the marriage after a month for no reason

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hughlander posted:

AITA for unintentionally coming across as fatphobic to my bio-family who I never met before?

i saw one of the relatives and the relative looked at me and called me fatphobic

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

AcidCat posted:

nasty inappropriate
it is a single ear hair, chill tf out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Don't you see! By you not being fat and eating a 6 foot party sub by yourself that made us feel that maybe it's not genetics and we could be better than we were! How dare you have crawled out of that crab bucket when you were 1 day old get back in here!

gonna need a Brian Jacques-esque description of this feast

AcidCat posted:

Yep, that long hair on your ear just sprouted up since this morning. Since you "don't look to closely at yourself" you are lucky to have a partner who will take care of your nasty inappropriate hairs, sit still for ten seconds and let her get rid of it you buffoon.

uhhh