Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kalit posted:

Isn’t it 4 of 5? The only one I’m aware of who isn’t a known rapist is Obama.

jesus what a snipe for this thread. deleting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Bel Shazar posted:

jesus what a snipe for this thread. deleting.

every time I step into this thread, I am neither surprised nor delighted , yet my disappointment deepens in ways I didn't realize was possible
there's so much apologist bullshit going on in the name of chin scratching discourse to where I really feel and think there's a serious issue with empathy at its root
If a group of people have been dehumanized for a long time, while another has been elevated in the meanwhile, it's not surprising to see this
Yet it still stays in the same stuck position and never changes, so even the few admirable posters who actually seem to give a poo poo tend to move to the background
the others keep clinging to the same dull narrative with no changes of their own

so yeah I think this thread sucks overall unfortunately. wasted opportunity .

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Seems like the UN has had it with Israel.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2024/3/26/israels-war-on-gaza-live-world-welcomes-un-ceasefire-resolution

quote:

A spokesman for UN chief Guterres has rejected US claims that the UN Security Council resolution on Gaza was not binding under international law.

"All the resolutions of the Security Council are international law," Farhan Haq told reporters. "So they are as binding as international law is."

Envoys of Palestine and Mozambique also rejected the US's claim.

"Security Council resolutions are binding," said Riyad Mansour, Palestine's envoy. "And if Israel is not going to implement it, then it is the duty of the Security Council to use Chapter 7 to take measures, and punitive measures, in order to make them obey the resolution of the Security Council."

Chapter 7 of the UN charter allows the Security Council to authorise actions ranging from sanctions to military intervention.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

"And if Israel is not going to implement it, then it is the duty of the Security Council to use Chapter 7 to take measures, and punitive measures, in order to make them obey the resolution of the Security Council."

Chapter 7 of the UN charter allows the Security Council to authorise actions ranging from sanctions to military intervention.
You may have noticed the issue with this - there'd have to be another vetoable Security Council vote to actually decide and implement any measures. This resolution is obviously a strong signal to Israel from the US but it would need to withhold its veto on another vote for there to be any actual consequences.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You may have noticed the issue with this - there'd have to be another vetoable Security Council vote to actually decide and implement any measures. This resolution is obviously a strong signal to Israel from the US but it would need to withhold its veto on another vote for there to be any actual consequences.

Technically they can call an emergency session for when it's just literally one of the permanent security council member refusing to avert a crisis. Expect some bullshit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They can, and indeed already did in December. The results of an emergency session aren't binding however.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They can, and indeed already did in December. The results of an emergency session aren't binding however.

Non binding and non meaningful are different, especially considering that a ceasefire has now passed the security council with the 'i can't believe it's not a veto'. A recommendation on the resolution can't be binding but shows what other members will not actively oppose as measures in achieving the goal. If they all agree in principal to sanctions or other measures then members can pursue them independently. I hope the US isn't suicidal enough to explode it's own economy in the coming mess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Funny in about the darkest way imaginable to go "you think the media wouldn't report on Israel's crimes?"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

quote:

"So they are as binding as international law is."
lol

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-welcomes-gaza-ceasefire-vote-at-united-nations-security-council-joly-1.6821412

Canada continues to link the ceasefire to Hamas laying down their arms. Hamas is not explicitly named in the resolution but the resolution does mention releasing all hostages.

One wonders whether all the Palestinians that Israel holds are considered hostages or not since they use a quasi-judicial cover story for that.

Canada's foreign policy continues to suck rear end.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
There is a movement in the US state of Wisconsin to do what Michigan did, and vote for "Uninstructed Delegate" on the Democratic presidential primary ballot. "Uninstructed Delegate" is the closest option the primary ballot has to "Uncommitted".

My understanding is that the purpose of this movement is to send a "loving do something to stop the genocide in Palestine already" message to Biden. Here's a source explaining the movement in more detail:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/what-the-uninstructed-movement-means-for-wisconsin-voters-biden-s-chances/ar-BB1ky0xK

Hilary lost Wisconsin in 2016. Wisconsin was a battleground state in 2020, and Biden won by a little over 20,000 votes.

The Wisconsin primary is April 2nd. Wisconsin has an open primary - any voter can choose to vote in either the Republican or Democratic primary (but not both primaries in the same election), no matter what their party affiliation or registration is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Bsamuels0/status/1772335085246611803
Can't possibly do anything to stop giving Israel money and weapons, of course, so despite Israel transparently not complying with the requirements it gets rubber stamped

quote:

"These assurances are prospective, but of course our view of them is informed by our ongoing assessments of Israel's conduct in the war in Gaza," Miller continued.

"We've had ongoing assessments of Israel's compliance with international humanitarian law. We have not found them to be in violation, either when it comes to the conduct of the war or the provision of humanitarian assistance. We view those assurances through that ongoing work we have done," he added.

The memo marks a number of firsts — including the mandated credible and written assurances from countries prior to weapons transfers, as well as assurances that they won't deny or restrict aid efforts in conflict areas where U.S.-purchased weapons are being used, to guarantee they will not violate human rights with weapons purchased from the U.S.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Technically they can call an emergency session for when it's just literally one of the permanent security council member refusing to avert a crisis. Expect some bullshit.

Can't see the UK agreeing to that if the Americans tell them not to.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Piell posted:

https://twitter.com/Bsamuels0/status/1772335085246611803
Can't possibly do anything to stop giving Israel money and weapons, of course, so despite Israel transparently not complying with the requirements it gets rubber stamped

How can we believe that Biden is putting pressure on Israel to stop the genocide when the state department says a genocide isn't being commited?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man the State Department is lucky Koos clarified that genocide denial isn't against D&D rules otherwise they'd all be banned!

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Now that I'm back, I loving expect an apology from the mods for that probation reason. I have not nor will I ever advocate for genocide. But what I will do is continue to state my well founded belief that nothing short of overwhelming and targeted use of force and the destruction of the Israeli state will stop this genocide. It takes a mind especially drunk on Zionist propaganda and Israeli exceptionalism to say sure it took the judicious use of violence to stop the Nazis, Rhodesia, Apartheid South Africa , and Bosnia under Milosivic' b-b-but plucky little Israel is different.

Additionally, it is in no way shape or form a call for genocide to advocate that the state of Israel as it exists today be swept into the dustbin of history anymore than it was to call for the same for the Nazis, Rhodesia, Apartheid South Africa, or Milosivic's regime. If you the mods of this forum think otherwise then make your argument here and we can debate it in good faith, but baselessly accusing someone of advocating for genocide is beyond the pale.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Inferior Third Season is still mourning the state genocides committed against the Third Reich, Rhodesia, Austria-Hungry, and Yugoslavia (understandable) have some respect.

I would be helpful in the OP to clarify that while genocide isn’t against the rules (rad!) genocide is also seemingly defined here as a destruction or imposed reform of a nation-state and that “well sourced” means “Anthony Blinken pulled it out of his rear end in a top hat.”

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Let's check in on the Israeli knesset: https://twitter.com/ME_Observer_/status/1772726637139828838

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Looks like Israel is trying keep up its war on UNRWA in an increasingly desperate manner:

UNRWA textbooks were pivotal in radicalizing generations of Gazans — watchdog

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

khwarezm posted:

Looks like Israel is trying keep up its war on UNRWA in an increasingly desperate manner:

UNRWA textbooks were pivotal in radicalizing generations of Gazans — watchdog

So that article is about allegations from Impact-SE, ostensibly an organization promoting equality and tolerance in education. Based in Israel obviously. I can’t find anything on it, aside from stuff about them condemning the murderous terror-affiliated UNRWA, and a hagiographic wiki page obviously authored by themselves. The talk page is (relatively) revealing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Institute_for_Monitoring_Peace_and_Cultural_Tolerance_in_School_Education

(Multiple authors in the talk page quoted)

quote:

It is very important to determine whether this organization is affiliated with Israel or is independent in order to assess it's worth as a reliable source on the subject of Palestinian educational texts. To determine whether such an affiliation exists I have been trying to find information on CMIP/IMPACT:SE's location, staff, leadership, funding and structure. This information has been very difficult to uncover. And why has it changed its name after only a few years of existence?
The Sourcewatch article was the only clear statement I could find on CMIP/IMPACT:SE's relationship with Israel. Sourcewatch is not just a wiki; it is edited by paid researchers. It is also fairly notable. Regardless, I will pursue the issue of Sourcewatch's reliability at WP:RSN.
Given the fact that CMIP/IMPACT:SE is so secretive about its staff, location and leadership I am drawn to conclude that it is being intentionally deceptive and opaque about its details in order to maintain a facade of independence to lend its research an undeserved credence.

(…)
Its advisory board ([1]) apparently includes Daniel Pipes, an extremely controversial and partisan figure on issues relating to the Middle East. It also contains 3 Israeli academics but not a single Palestinian.

Daniel Pipes is apparently an Islamophobic POS. He was one of the ones behind the claims of Sharia law “no go zones” a few years back. He is also mad about Middle East Studies at US universities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Pipes

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 27, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Of loving course a blood-drenched homunculus like Pipes is still around. with no larger GWOT going, he needs something to keep his death-doner going.

What other Bush-era ghoul are we bringing back? Is Richard Perle still around?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
small incident given the incredible suffering currently being inflicted on gazans, but another aid drop got people killed, with an estimate that 12 people drown trying to retrieve aid which was dropped in the sea

seems like most of the victims didn't know how to swim but were desperate for food and ended up going out into heavy surf with strong currents

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

small incident given the incredible suffering currently being inflicted on gazans, but another aid drop got people killed, with an estimate that 12 people drown trying to retrieve aid which was dropped in the sea

seems like most of the victims didn't know how to swim but were desperate for food and ended up going out into heavy surf with strong currents

.....hm. Hadn't considered that as a source of problems, tbh. The military probably should have.

Reminds me, I need to check on how that Spanish (?) convoy is going / went.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Goatse James Bond posted:

.....hm. Hadn't considered that as a source of problems, tbh. The military probably should have.

Reminds me, I need to check on how that Spanish (?) convoy is going / went.

It's not the first time the US military has done air drops... there's zero chance nobody considered that there are risks (eg from failed parachutes) and it should be relatively common knowledge that starving populations will absolutely risk life to get to food if it's dropped unsafely near them.

The worst aspect of all of this is that the US admin could simply tell Israel to let aid in *and compel them* to distribute it, as is their legal responsibility.

All these people killed by incompetence and a desire for crap PR in order to provide a paltry number of MREs.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Hong XiuQuan posted:

It's not the first time the US military has done air drops... there's zero chance nobody considered that there are risks (eg from failed parachutes) and it should be relatively common knowledge that starving populations will absolutely risk life to get to food if it's dropped unsafely near them.

I mean this literally happened a few weeks ago.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/08/middleeast/gaza-airdropped-aid-deaths-intl/index.html

The US denied it of course.

Edit: The US-led draft resolution that was vetoed by Russia and China last week is now available here. It's pretty terrible.

It starts out by condemning Hamas, all the rapes Hamas definitely did, and how Hamas uses civilian infrastructure for military purposes, i.e. it just repeats Israeli propaganda.

It spends time calling Hamas terrorists and saying they don't represent the Palestinians. It urges member states to try to suppress funding to Hamas.

It doesn't actually demand a ceasefire, it instead says that a ceasefire is important, and that the UN should support international diplomatic efforts to achieve one, and points to the hilariously terrible "give us all the hostages for a 6-week ceasefire" deal Egypt and Qatar have been pushing for. It also links the idea of a ceasefire to the release of hostages by saying that the UN should work to secure a ceasefire in connection with the release of all remaining hostages.

It mentions the UNRWA, but only to talk about investigating them.

Condemns the Houthis.

Emphasizes that the two-state solution should happen, and that the Palestinian Authority comprador government should rule.

There is no explicit mention of Israel's crimes, unlike all the bad things Hamas did. Israel is barely mentioned in the document.

I'm not surprised this was vetoed.

Esran fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 28, 2024

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Meanwhile in Germany...
https://twitter.com/derJamesJackson/status/1772929438205759982

Pro-peace Jewish group being given the Nazi treatment.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's okay, they're the 'wrong kind' of Jews. So this is fine in the eyes of Israel and her allies. Desirable even.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Let's see what Francesca Albanese, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Occupied Palestinian Territories, has to say these days...
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRTy9Db6/

Edit: Here's the link to the report itself.
https://www.ohchr.org/en/documents/country-reports/ahrc5573-report-special-rapporteur-situation-human-rights-palestinian

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 27, 2024

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

It appears that the genocidal American empire is not responding well to the Rapporteur's findings and to no one's surprise have chosen to slander them from the podium as an anti-Semite.

https://twitter.com/tparsi/status/1773067834081390666

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
France and Germany have also called her antisemitic. She has previously contended that Frances accusation that Oct 7th was the single greatest antisemetic massacre of the century was incorrect, as the victims “not killed because of their Judaism,” but rather “in reaction to Israel’s oppression.” Which they claim is an antisemitic remark.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Quantum Cat posted:

Let's see what Francesca Albanese, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Occupied Palestinian Territories, has to say these days...
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRTy9Db6/

Edit: Here's the link to the report itself.
https://www.ohchr.org/en/documents/country-reports/ahrc5573-report-special-rapporteur-situation-human-rights-palestinian

Thank you for the link to the actual report, you can't watch tiktoks without an account and I didn't really feel like making one. It might help in the future to also just do a pull quote for people who are unlikely to follow the link, so I'm going to block quote the summary here:

quote:

After five months of military operations, Israel has destroyed Gaza. Over 30,000 Palestinians have been killed, including more than 13,000 children. Over 12,000 are presumed dead and 71,000 injured, many with life-changing mutilations. Seventy percent of residential areas have been destroyed. Eighty percent of the whole population has been forcibly displaced. Thousands of families have lost loved ones or have been wiped out. Many could not bury and mourn their relatives, forced instead to leave their bodies decomposing in homes, in the street or under the rubble. Thousands have been detained and systematically subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment. The incalculable collective trauma will be experienced for generations to come.

By analysing the patterns of violence and Israel’s policies in its onslaught on Gaza, this report concludes that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the threshold indicating Israel’s commission of genocide is met. One of the key findings is that Israel's executive and military leadership and soldiers have intentionally distorted jus in bello principles, subverting their protective functions, in an attempt to legitimize genocidal violence against the Palestinian people.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
What in the world would it take for the Biden fucks to admit it's a genocide? I'm guessing there is no line.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

What in the world would it take for the Biden fucks to admit it's a genocide? I'm guessing there is no line.

Asking an entire ruling class to take on an enormous narcissistic injury like this is just a non-starter. It’s absolutely never going to be on the table. Too many Ivy League people raised to never admit fault and never break ranks. What would the incentive be to do it? To be a good person? We’re so far past the point there would be any positive outcome for anyone to do this in the current status quo.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
In ten years they'll have a democrat President say 'we genocided some folks'.

HazCat
May 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nail Rat posted:

Once every Palestinian is dead and it's too late for anyone to demand they do anything to prevent it.

They are ideologically required to deny it now because they are active participants in it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Marenghi posted:

In ten years they'll have a democrat President say 'we genocided some folks'.

It’s this. Just like with the Iraq war and the forever wars in a couple decades the libs will have a mealy mouthed explanation of how they were actually always against the things Israel did, really. It will, of course, be far too late to actually do anything about it by the time they do this

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Marenghi posted:

France and Germany have also called her antisemitic. She has previously contended that Frances accusation that Oct 7th was the single greatest antisemetic massacre of the century was incorrect, as the victims “not killed because of their Judaism,” but rather “in reaction to Israel’s oppression.” Which they claim is an antisemitic remark.

It's not clear why I or anyone else for that matter should give a single fig about what the wretched Vichy ghouls who are still raping Africa or the ideologically inbred heirs to the third Reich have to say on the matter.

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 27, 2024

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Anyways have yet another instance of the IDF forcing Palestinians at gunpoint to serve as human shields for their armored units.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRTyEMeX/

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Quantum Cat posted:

Anyways have yet another instance of the IDF forcing Palestinians at gunpoint to serve as human shields for their armored units.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRTyEMeX/

Can you stop making GBS threads up the thread with tiktok videos/etc because you're throwing a hissy fit over your previous probation? It would be nice if D&D mods started actually enforcing rules in this thread....

And yes, obviously I know I'm hypocritical by breaking D&D rules with this post. But this thread has somehow been even worse than normal recently...

Kalit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Oh so that's why the IDF never has infantry shielding their armor.