Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

mags posted:

my “I love genocide, anime, and tabletop RPGs” t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Dang, I wonder if the dog feels left out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:sickos:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Dang, I wonder if the dog feels left out.

just a book? Socks the cat got a whole rear end video game

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1773119598960812176
:hai:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Automata 10 Pack posted:

In a follow-up tweet, she attempted to clarify her statement: “I can see where if you squint I was implying all Asian-inspired properties are the same, especially if you were already privy to those conversations where I had not seen them. But the basic framework of ATLA is becoming popular in fantasy fiction outside of Asian inspired stuff.”

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Joe Lieberman: A man of great dignity much beloved by his colleagues. Lieberman represented the best of a politician who worked across the aisle despite disagreements. He's a man from a bygone era in these days of polarization caused by Trump's hatred of half the country.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Behold, the perfidious orientalist

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RadiRoot posted:

I thought he was already dead

Only his dream for a common sense bipartisan congress. :(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Toph Bei Fong posted:

James Patterson

also Jim Butcher's Dresden Files

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

dont know what you mean. can you post it?

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

mags posted:

my “I love genocide, anime, and tabletop RPGs” t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

a “soviet refugee” as old as this guy looks would barely have crossed the starting line by the final years of perestroika, which—if he has any specific memories of it at all—casts a certain light on his testimony

anyway that’s as much as I’m going to think about this guy because I value my time and blood pressure

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Misunderstandings of cultural appropriation have led to odd arguments for basically segregated culture even over stuff that wouldn't be sacrilegious to appropriate, which seems to ignore that culture is adopted all the time, by all cultures. That takes away from the thin identity adopted by second or third generation diaspora, so they get huffy at anyone proud of their fourth or fifth generation heritage, but also ends up stymying any cultural education. Wow, weird that white supremacy and white pride have taken off in the wake, it's like you need a gentle hand guiding people through understanding culture rather than a series of gatekeeping that seem divorced from the original culture at hand.

i disagree with this in the sense that a lot of the shallowness of this cultural knowledge stems from even fourth or fifth generation people claiming to be cultural experts by the sheer power of blood quantum rather than lived experience this is how we get to situations like elizabeth warren thinking she can do an alex haley style roots expose on her extremely real native american background because if you take identity politics to its natural conclusion this is an entirely reasonable thing for her to claim and for that matter anyone else meanwhile actual minority communities are drifting toward trumpism because antiracism identity discourse isnt designed for them its designed for better assimilated individuals with minority backgrounds to take charge of cultural discourse so they can impress white people

man i really need to get back to translating my comic the part i left off with the restaurant failing because its adapting high end western food culture philosophy into local beef bone soup culture is such a fantastic example of fundamental culture clash that has basically no usage of stereotypes from either one thats such a rare thing these days on either side of that

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
A pretty significant amount of "cultural appropriation" discourse in the US is essentially US born descendants of a certain region trying to claim the role of gatekeepers to ensure the success of their own career/business. And that much is obvious because "imperialism" or "neocolonialism" never appears as an axis of domination. There is never a question of "why is this American born/American based person the voice to turn to?"

And of course these claims never get to the issue of actual appropriation. This NY based fashion designer once went to Brazil, saw a beach vendor selling knitted bikinis, bought one and started mass producing them for sale in the US. She then sued Victoria's secret and other stores for trying to sell something similar. When it came out that she had essentially ripped off a poor Brazilian beach vendor, the American based company won in court because the poor, not fluent in english, Brazilian woman had missed the statute of limitations on copyright infringement claims.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

persona 2 was a lot more adult in tone and content than the later games to be honest

im still mad that games journalism sold persona 4 to me as being a story about economic dislocation in japan because it takes place in a small town where the local businesses are being slowly destroyed by a department store something thats barely ever discussed except to the extent that it explains why the second murder victim is kindof bitchy

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

im still mad that games journalism sold persona 4 to me as being a story about economic dislocation in japan because it takes place in a small town where the local businesses are being slowly destroyed by a department store something thats barely ever discussed except to the extent that it explains why the second murder victim is kindof bitchy

it's actually scooby doo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

it's actually scooby doo

Yeah it's Scooby Doo meets Twin Peaks. It's a very sweet, fun game.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

In A Failing Grade for the Present Tense William Gass says the flattening of style started in the 70’s when deep throat and watergate convinced everyone that journalism was noble. College english courses retooled themselves to crank out journalists because suddenly that was what students wanted to be. So since then everyone’s just been trained to be a stenographer and not comment on or have an inner life or anything more than events and quotes.

Ahhhhhh

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

ripisssss loserman

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1773036009183142212?s=20

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

you have to go there before you can leave you loving child genocider

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Some Guy TT posted:

i disagree with this in the sense that a lot of the shallowness of this cultural knowledge stems from even fourth or fifth generation people claiming to be cultural experts by the sheer power of blood quantum rather than lived experience this is how we get to situations like elizabeth warren thinking she can do an alex haley style roots expose on her extremely real native american background because if you take identity politics to its natural conclusion this is an entirely reasonable thing for her to claim and for that matter anyone else meanwhile actual minority communities are drifting toward trumpism because antiracism identity discourse isnt designed for them its designed for better assimilated individuals with minority backgrounds to take charge of cultural discourse so they can impress white people

man i really need to get back to translating my comic the part i left off with the restaurant failing because its adapting high end western food culture philosophy into local beef bone soup culture is such a fantastic example of fundamental culture clash that has basically no usage of stereotypes from either one thats such a rare thing these days on either side of that

I meant more like the rushes of certain community to claim that American white people have no culture beyond Applebee's, unlike them, who've also lived in America their entire life, who have this supposedly rich culture that... is also Applebee's. It just feels like a bum fight of people claiming to have cultural superiority spare the actual first gen immigrants who all have this love for America that I frankly envy.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Was looking and couldn't find this earlier, ty

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

i doubt he'll even survive this year* much less be president until 2030

* on account of him being super old in minecraft

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

joepinetree posted:

A pretty significant amount of "cultural appropriation" discourse in the US is essentially US born descendants of a certain region trying to claim the role of gatekeepers to ensure the success of their own career/business. And that much is obvious because "imperialism" or "neocolonialism" never appears as an axis of domination. There is never a question of "why is this American born/American based person the voice to turn to?"
there is also the popular genre of white person gatekeeping other white people about the culture their career is built on

sometimes it even gets to white person gatekeeping culture a for doing culture b wrong

that is always wild to see irl

esp when it stems from people actually from culture b being happy to see someone other than rich white tourists for once

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mags posted:

i doubt he'll even survive this year* much less be president until 2030

* on account of him being super old in minecraft

Sounds like something the Chicoms taught you over tiktok so you could sabotage the forums and make us all media illiterate!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

libs are sure this is an omen that roe roe roe the vote will carry biden in november.

It worked in 2022 so it clearly will always work

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

AmiYumi posted:

there is also the popular genre of white person gatekeeping other white people about the culture their career is built on

sometimes it even gets to white person gatekeeping culture a for doing culture b wrong

that is always wild to see irl

esp when it stems from people actually from culture b being happy to see someone other than rich white tourists for once

See white people who have never been to Mexico yelling about what is and isn't authentic Mexican food. I say white people but it's mainly "Texans and people who don't laugh at Texans when they try to claim everyone else's culture."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

that's the mayor of wilmington in a bathrobe doing that to carper

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just like you were there for the people of Hawaii and East Palestine (not to mention Palestine in the Middle East).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Lieberman died lmao. owned.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zerg Mans posted:

It worked in 2022 so it clearly will always work

biden ain't winning alabama no matter how many democrats are elected to the statehouse.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Probably Magic posted:

Back in the Forties, I was stopping a genocide, now I'm voting for the guy who's helping continue one, ain't that something. Anyway, honey, I need my depends changed again.

lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://x.com/LeafLee6/status/1772824008695648633?s=20

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1773033484786765845

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
lmao that guy has been flogging his unpublished Biden book (the premise of which is that the left is too mean to Biden) for like a year now on Twitter

https://x.com/dlippman/status/1773037353830945131?s=46

sucks to suck my man

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

lmao

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Really this was the best thing to come out of that mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Probably Magic posted:

The problem is when people more and more act as an extension of institutions as opposed to individuals capable of empathy, personal stance, philosophy, etc. I'm certainly not criticizing what you're saying, it's very much in line with my own religious beliefs, but it's hard to live up to those beliefs when I don't feel like I'm dealing with people any more, but rather, apparatchiks of a callous, impersonal, post-human power.

empathy itself in general has become an abstract thing people talk about in theory but more for themselves and not for others , it just comes off as self obsession