Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BlackIronHeart posted:

I posted earlier about a friend having the 'W key no worky for strats' and apparently the issue is Samsung Magician. ... I don't know either.

Well, good thing my copy poo poo itself trying to update the other day and I'm just leaving it in "In the app list but also seemingly non-existent" limbo then.

...Wow, what an incredibly dumbass way to start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Are rare samples only in hard/challenging levels or do they show up in easier missions? I think I might have met my limit on capabilities

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Video Nasty posted:

Are rare samples only in hard/challenging levels or do they show up in easier missions? I think I might have met my limit on capabilities

Only in 4+.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

"I'm going to fight every single bot patrol I see in the field and what even is cover anyways? Also why weren't we able to extract wtf?"
- my all-star pubbies

Seriously, I'd fall back when our position became untenable and they'd inevitably die by getting surrounded out in the open. I reinforced them well away from the 5 dropships worth of reinforcements and they'd both run right back into the mess of bots that weren't even attacking us anymore. They kept doing that until I said gently caress it and just solo'd the main objective so we'd at least get medals.

Oh yeah and when we were out of reinforcements and on our way back to extract, one of them decided that would be the perfect time to attempt taking out a large outpost lol

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 28, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Video Nasty posted:

It shows you what samples can spawn below the difficulty descriptors.

But it's easy to remember: green everywhere, rares in 4+, supers in 7+

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Hakarne posted:

"I'm going to fight every single bot patrol I see in the field and what even is cover anyways? Also why weren't we able to extract wtf?"
- my all-star pubbies

Seriously, I'd fall back when our position became untenable and they'd inevitably die by getting surrounded out in the open. I reinforced them well away from the 5 dropships worth of reinforcements and they'd both run right back into the mess of bots that weren't even attacking us anymore. They kept doing that until I said gently caress it and just solo'd the main objective so we'd at least get medals.

You don't understand, their stuff was near those bots.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hakarne posted:

- my all-star pubbies

Oh yeah and when we were out of reinforcements and on our way back to extract, one of them decided that would be the perfect time to attempt taking out a large outpost lol

Ultimately most games just don't present you with this sort of challenge, players are trained that even if the game is telling you that it's the omega apocalypse and we're outnumbered 1000-1 by immortal space wizards, a little cover shooting and a couple QTEs will get the job done. It takes time for people to get used to a new paradigm xD

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

I posted earlier about a friend having the 'W key no worky for strats' and apparently the issue is Samsung Magician. ... I don't know either.

Holy poo poo, this was it. It also broke being able to close tabs in Chrome.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I feel as if a lot of deaths come from a sliding scale of tunnel vision. Whatever "line in the sand" you believe has been drawn becomes pretty meaningless quickly. It's been easy for me to feel like all the danger is coming from a few angles, only to have a couple hunters quietly flank around back or some bots to casually find my hunkered down rear end, ripe for rockets. It is hilarious how quiet the larger enemies can be, too. Getting clothlined by a sneaky charger is one of the most disrespectful "it's time to loving move" indicators.

Just keeping your head on a swivel while maintaining a bit of urgency in moving from objective to objective will do wonders if you find yourself struggling with higher difficulties. Your radar will also help with red blips if you are unsure of where the danger is at the moment.

A lot of this can be circumvented if your group is communicating, even if it's just pings.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Don't ever let the magician in.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The biggest thing you can do for situational awareness is to first change Sprint to a toggle, which lets you open the map while sprinting. Then occasionally just sprint away from where you're at and check the map while you do it.

Spore cloud modifiers and ion storms that block your radar suck but in any other situation this is huge for survivability. Not only is the sprinting putting distance between you and the enemies but you can stay on top of where the enemies are at without spending extra time on it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Man, the muscle enhancement is a real game changer in the deep snow of Vandalon IV

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I assume is was like this for other people, but today it didn't show me a Personal Order at all, but After 2 re 3 bug planet missions the invisible daily order completed and I got my 15. I have no idea what it was, but it was there, hiding.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Turns out the Knight's recoil is incredibly controllable in first person view.

Also ran into a new bug where mid-mission everyone in the team lost most audio, inbound and outbound gunfire, reloading sounds etc. Music, footsteps, grenade launcher firing remained. It made the game surreal, and a lot harder.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 28, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

now that is a juicy helldive

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Turns out the Knight's recoil is incredible controllable in first person view.
I've said it before, but I do think it's easier across the board to manually control recoil in first person compared to steering down the 3rd person aiming point marker.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Turns out the Knight's recoil is incredible controllable in first person view.

i think that first person also feels a lot steadier when walking. it's weird

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Insert name here posted:

I don't even think the Defender's stats are really that much better on paper: sure, you have more damage per shot, but you also have a lower RoF, and IIRC they basically even out to being roughly the same DPS wise anyway. Really I think that which one someone prefers is going to come down to personal preference on stuff like how much you value one-handed, recoil/aim pattern (something about the way the Defender's aim shifts when shooting on the move causes me to consistently shoot high in a way I never do with the Liberator for example), etc.

Defender also has about 20% more damage per mag - but slightly worse armor penetration.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Infidelicious posted:

Defender also has about 20% more damage per mag - but slightly worse armor penetration.
Does that armor pen matter against any of the enemies we have, though? It doesn't pen brood commanders any better, for instance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Infidelicious posted:

As a Defender lover who eyes the basic liberator occasionally because it DOES shoot faster... Do you know off the top of your head what the default liberator hurts that the Defender can't due to that?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Section Z posted:

As a Defender lover who eyes the basic liberator occasionally because it DOES shoot faster... Do you know off the top of your head what the default liberator hurts that the Defender can't due to that?

It's red vs. White pens against warriors heads and devestators arms and legs iirc. Typically weird angles also play a role.

Kinda like the dominator vs. Slugger.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 28, 2024

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I feel like the liberator has a tighter spread pattern than the defender but I have no evidence to back that up. It just feels like I can hit berserkers in the face more consistently with it. I usually use the slugger against bots though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I feel like the bots have gotten slightly easier after the last patch. Rocket raiders miss their first shot more often and I've survived quite a few glancing rockets. Maybe I'm just getting better. The slugger and diving a bunch helps.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I feel I am the only Slugger hater in the world, there's just something about the gun that feels off to me. I definitely don't like it against bugs, still figuring out my bot loadout (currently Eagle Air Strike, Eagle 500 kg, Autocannon and Explosive Mortar), trying to experiment with smoke grenades too.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

In other small details, I was fiddling with the audio menus, and well, you should check out the volume settings yourself.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

is there any more depressing sight than this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ZearothK posted:

I feel I am the only Slugger hater in the world, there's just something about the gun that feels off to me. I definitely don't like it against bugs, still figuring out my bot loadout (currently Eagle Air Strike, Eagle 500 kg, Autocannon and Explosive Mortar), trying to experiment with smoke grenades too.

Yeah I don't like it. I've given it a few tries and I always return to the Jar because it is much more fun to use.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ZearothK posted:

Firing it as quickly as you can means you won't stay on target, and it can be hard to nail targets that are in your face because it fires one very small slug. Give it a tiny bit between each shot to realign, and either switch to your sidearm or dive back if something gets too close. Guaranteed one shot kills on all smaller bots, and effective stagger for all the mediums is great.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Biffmotron posted:

In other small details, I was fiddling with the audio menus, and well, you should check out the volume settings yourself.

Just don't change a setting mid-mission, updating it somehow screws a lot of things at once and can increase instability. I had to restart my client after I started getting a massive performance drop.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

LazyMaybe posted:

I want that, for whatever reason I have all the super samples I need to max my poo poo, I'm 30 off on regular samples, but need like 90 rare samples.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

LazyMaybe posted:

Coulda been req slips

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JBP posted:

Yeah I don't like it. I've given it a few tries and I always return to the Jar because it is much more fun to use.
I would like the JAR more if it didn't smoke up my view like a black powder musket. even in 3rd person it can make it hard to aim.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

LazyMaybe posted:

I would like the JAR more if it didn't smoke up my view like a black powder musket. even in 3rd person it can make it hard to aim.

its worse than that, it causes camera shake to nearby players too. couldn't aim my AMR because someone was standing next to me firing their JAR

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

LazyMaybe posted:

Never experienced this. I never ads though, it feels entirely redundant in this game.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

its worse than that, it causes camera shake to nearby players too. couldn't aim my AMR because someone was standing next to me firing their JAR

Lol this makes it even better.

Griz
May 21, 2001

ZearothK posted:

I feel I am the only Slugger hater in the world, there's just something about the gun that feels off to me.

aim down sights unless you're panic spamming at a bunch of chainsaw guys coming at you (which might actually work because it staggers them and is a 2 shot kill to the waist)

you can pop devastators from really far away, or shoot the shield bot's arm to stagger it so you can follow up with a headshot

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I've been pretty on the fence with this weapon and hesitant to use it but this loving seals the deal. That's awesome.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Reacclimating to bots after playing nothing but bugs since the mech came out has been way less painful than I expected. I was anticipating having to drop the difficulty down from the difficulty I normally play at but honestly I feel like bot 7s are easier then bug 7s. Sure you will get one shot by a rocket a few times a game but overall they seem way less chaotic and easier to stay more in control of than vs. bugs. Bug heavies feel like they are way more of a presence and require much more immediate attention than bot heavies - chargers especially feel like they require playing around specifically which is fun, but distinctly different from the vibe of playing bots.

I’ve been running dual mortar + AC + eagle or orbital of choice and it’s been a lot of fun. I enjoy AC and mortar but don’t like playing either against bugs so it’s been fun to take the opportunity to run some different kits.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I was considering waiting to see what's in the next warbond before going back and getting the first one, but now...

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Hakarne posted:

- my all-star pubbies

I've been having the opposite problem, with people trying to play rush rush rush don't engage the robots at all not even the ones on the objective shooting at us. Someone mentioned rocket raiders, which get really nasty if the team is playing like this. There's a rhythm to fighting robots

Occasionally I have three people playing largely the way I think is the way to go, but one person is doing the rush rush rush, which in my experience just makes things much more difficult for the others while the one person is the hero blowing up fabricators and objectives with very little fighting

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Something I've noticed that made dealing with bots a lot easier is that they are loving slooooooooow. I ran a mission earlier today with the autocannon as my support weapon, and anytime I ran into a big group of them I could fairly easily run some distance away, take cover behind something and have enough time to perform a full reload from zero-ammo before any of them caught up with me - assuming they didn't just give up first. Granted, this is more helpful in the open and not in scenarios where you have to sit on a point and wait while they swarm in to you (like on extract), but I think that mindset's helped me cut down on reinforce charges on bot missions where I'm able to clutch out long enough to clear objectives without biting it by just booking out if things get too spicy or doing hit-and-run to thin the numbers down enough to cut through to whatever I'm trying to blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Average gameplay for bots involve diving constantly in search of cover

Change my mind