Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CelticPredator posted:

Pack sentries on any of these kinds of missions. Especially the ems. Ems, autocannon, and rocket and you’ll be safe. Or at least you could give the enemies a good distraction.

Bonus points if you can put the sentries high up so nothing can reach it easily

Autocannon Sentry with improved turn speed fucks everything up so hard, it's amazing. Half the time when it's gone I think something sniped it but nope, that thing ran through all of its ammo chewing up anything and everything that crossed its path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

The biggest thing you can do for situational awareness is to first change Sprint to a toggle, which lets you open the map while sprinting. Then occasionally just sprint away from where you're at and check the map while you do it.

Spore cloud modifiers and ion storms that block your radar suck but in any other situation this is huge for survivability. Not only is the sprinting putting distance between you and the enemies but you can stay on top of where the enemies are at without spending extra time on it.

If they could please make it so the map cancels when I left-click, right-click, press g for quick grenade or press ctrl for strategem. I keep running up on stuff with my map open then pressing a button that doesn’t work and getting in various degrees of trouble.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Horace Kinch posted:

I was playing on a snow map and learned in deeper patches of snow if you look down you can pick up snowballs and chuck them at your teammates.

Please do not.

# ⚪ Helldivers, avoid having snowball fights! ❄️

We're aware of a crash caused by picking up and throwing snowballs. We hope to have this fixed in the near future, but until then, we advise against snowball throwing! @here

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

wtf you can now buy the quasar cannon and the heavy machine gun strats

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

raverrn posted:

Please do not.

# ⚪ Helldivers, avoid having snowball fights! ❄️

We're aware of a crash caused by picking up and throwing snowballs. We hope to have this fixed in the near future, but until then, we advise against snowball throwing! @here

How long until we can just tell people stuff that personally annoys us crashes the game and people will just go along with it?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dren posted:

If they could please make it so the map cancels when I left-click, right-click, press g for quick grenade or press ctrl for strategem. I keep running up on stuff with my map open then pressing a button that doesn’t work and getting in various degrees of trouble.

I changed my map key to hold just for this.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Eediot Jedi posted:

just logged on and saw that

came out of nowhere

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eediot Jedi posted:

What is a quasar cannon

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

explosivo posted:

What is a quasar cannon

looks like a charge up laser rocket launcher

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eediot Jedi posted:

its true!!!!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i choose to believe that liberating troost will get us the autocanon mech

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Watching a streamer and the Quasar gun looks awesome.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I hope that HMG kicks rear end, I use the Stalwart for multiple good reasons; namely that the MG runs out of ammo too quickly and the stationary reload sucks. I don't care if the recoil is super hosed, just give me a legit ton of ammo if I'm gonna rock a bullet hose

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

They're both pretty cheap too, like 4-6k req points.

The quasar cannon looks like a backpack-less rocket launcher that has a few second chargeup time before it fires, and supposedly downtime after as well. Might be an alternate to RR/Spear that frees up a backpack slot? Can't play until tonight to try it out.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

from a quick trial run: quasar is a no-drop RR that trades a slower total fire rate and a windup for never needing to reload and no backpack. some difficulties aiming because of the windup tho.

also its like fukkin enormous

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 28, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'll be curious to hear if the Quasar has as much stopping power as an RR/EAT. Also is there ammo for it just not in a backpack?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ravendas posted:

They're both pretty cheap too, like 4-6k req points.

The quasar cannon looks like a backpack-less rocket launcher that has a few second chargeup time before it fires, and supposedly downtime after as well. Might be an alternate to RR/Spear that frees up a backpack slot? Can't play until tonight to try it out.

Yeah it can kill bot dropships and factories, if the splash hits near their weakspots. It's a bit hard to aim first person as you get a little vision blur. The downtime is uncomfortably long, but you can switch weapons and run around during.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The discourse around this game is so poo poo. People aren't fighting automatons because they're too hard and crying about it online. Turn down the difficulty or gently caress off for real.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Appears to be identical to RR/EAT. It just has a cooldown, no ammo of any sort. You can't even fire it until its cooled down all the way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Appears to be identical to RR/EAT. It just has a cooldown, no ammo of any sort. You can't even fire it until its cooled down all the way.

How long between shots?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JBP posted:

The discourse around this game is so poo poo. People aren't fighting automatons because they're too hard and crying about it online. Turn down the difficulty or gently caress off for real.

How do you feel about people still killing robots until their capes are stained black, but still talking poo poo about them frame skipping up and over rocks and walls instead of pathing around them being kind of annoying.

I am literally aiming my primary or AMR up at impassible pointy rock spires instead of the ground level corner a sane person would expect them to come around, and being rewarded for my :tinfoil: with fast devastator headshots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Section Z posted:

How do you feel about people still killing robots until their capes are stained black, but still talking poo poo about them frame skipping up and over rocks and walls instead of pathing around them being kind of annoying.

I am literally aiming my primary or AMR up at impassible pointy rock spires instead of the ground level corner a sane person would expect them to come around, and being rewarded for my :tinfoil:

Congrats on adapting and thriving in difficult circumstances. The articles I've seen aren't about this though, they're basically -
"why I get hit with rocket standing on open ground nerf rocket."
"Changing the way I play to cope with ranged battle requires me to engage brain, make laser weak."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JBP posted:

Congrats on adapting and thriving in difficult circumstances. The articles I've seen aren't about this though, they're basically -
"why I get hit with rocket standing on open ground nerf rocket."
"Changing the way I play to cope with ranged battle requires me to engage brain, make laser weak."

A lot of people are stupid

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Congrats on adapting and thriving in difficult circumstances. The articles I've seen aren't about this though, they're basically "why I get hit with rocket standing on open ground nerf rocket"

I expect the wildly inconsistently seeming damage is chasing people away from fortified which would solve that (sometimes). In my medium exterminator this morning I ate a sneaky pop up rocket trooper shot to the face while reloading, got back up with half health, and killed them. Once again more annoyed by enemy teleportation abilities than their rockets.

But the fact you can still instantly die anyways even in heavy fortified when the game feels like it sends people running back to scout armor enemies can still airdrop right on top of you with. When sticking it out with fortified, even heavy, would help.

Teach people to play around bullshit instead of just angrily telling them to Git Gud, and they will improve faster.

Also If my laser sickle is considered overpowered while still blocked by decorative scenery, that means enemy lasers are super overpowered because they get to shoot through it just fine :v: So please nerf enemy lasers down to be like mine, thanks.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Section Z posted:

Also If my laser sickle is considered overpowered while still blocked by decorative scenery, that means enemy lasers are super overpowered because they get to shoot through it just fine :v: So please nerf enemy lasers down to be like mine, thanks.

Clearly the bots aren’t using lasers, they’re using Star Wars blasters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Section Z posted:

Teach people to play around bullshit instead of just angrily telling them to Git Gud, and they will improve faster.

I agree with this, but the game has been out for a while. It's not that hard to work out that cover = good when fighting ranged enemies.

I just don't want them to tone things down. Eating a random rocket is totally fine imo. It's like Arma, sometimes enemies get the drop and are in their own cover and get you. Only difference here is that when you die you are given the most powerful single shot weapon in the game. Dying is good.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

JBP posted:

How long between shots?

Cooldown feels like 10 seconds, and shot charge time is ~4 seconds. The reticle turns from red to white when it's done, if you've kept it equipped the whole time for some reason.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I am shocked to find out I don't like the hmg so far. Even with recoil reducing armour shooting prone it's an ungainly bastard. Too little ammo to hold down the fire button, too much recoil to burst fire. 75 shots per reload, 75 in the weapon plus two carried reloads, 2 reloads from resupply, 1 reload from random ammo boxes.

JBP posted:

How long between shots?

About 10 seconds, plus charge up time is like 3.5s? It's rough. You can swap weapons and move between shots. What's really frustrating is the charge UI is the inverse of laser weapons, it starts full and drains, except it's clearly loving empty well before the quasar is ready to fire.

e: Also the quasar is a free fifth strat for now.

2nd e: this was on a cold planet. I wonder if the cold planet rate of fire debuff effected it. Going to bed so no more testing.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 28, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Quasar can 2 shot bile titans with head shots.

We need a laser pistol for full laser tag mode.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

can the new cannon one-shot chargers?

how is it against bile titans?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

:justdive:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I was doing some bot helldives last night, because I'd mostly been popping back and forth between 7s and 8s, and they felt great. Did I mostly die to rockets? Yes. Was it mostly my fault? Eh, 50/50. I'd use cover all the time and prioritize not getting pincered but sometimes you just want to help out the helpless pubs or simply didn't notice that enemies were aware of you.

That's good and fine, bots are in a good place as they are right now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mesadoram posted:

Quasar can 2 shot bile titans with head shots.

We need a laser pistol for full laser tag mode.

There is a laser pistol in the latest warbond, but it is terrible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eediot Jedi posted:

I am shocked to find out I don't like the hmg so far. Even with recoil reducing armour shooting prone it's an ungainly bastard. Too little ammo to hold down the fire button, too much recoil to burst fire. 75 shots per reload, 75 in the weapon plus two carried reloads, 2 reloads from resupply, 1 reload from random ammo boxes.

Yeah, it was really frustrating going from "Oh boy! It CAN eventually smash through walker hulls with about a dozen+ shots!" followed by "...What the gently caress do you mean seventy five ammo!?!"

Even the fact it actually gets both spares back from a supply pod, means you might be better off using the AMR instead against bots. And I can't imagine the ammo per charger kill efficiency, let alone trying to use it on titans.

EDIT: When I made that AMR comment, I forgot the fact how fitting that was at the time because heavy MG has no third person crosshair either. I was so excited for it having a good ADS sight, and then... yeah, what?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 28, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Does anyone ever get booted from a game and get FAILED TO ESTABLISH NETWORK CONNECTION halfway thru their games? It's like a 50/50 chance for me. I have been stuck at lvl 18 for two goddamn weeks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ugh sounds lame. Was hoping itd pierce striders easy, MAYBE get reduced damage vs shield devastators.

quote:

EDIT: When I made that AMR comment, I forgot the fact how fitting that was at the time because heavy MG has no third person crosshair either. I was so excited for it having a good ADS sight, and then... yeah, what?

lol god drat it... buddy was excited for this one, now it sounds poo poo!!!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

FunkyFjord posted:

That's good and fine, bots are in a good place as they are right now.

Yeah I mostly enjoy fighting bots and like how they play, but I do agree with the people saying that the sound design could use a lot of work.

There'd be a lot less bullshit deaths if chargers, bile titans, rockets, etc. weren't all so loving silent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can still move or aim with the Quasar charging up to fire, right? If so even with the aim lag it feels like it'll be an EAT that's better against bile titans/hulks/tanks/shrieker nests and worse against chargers.

More useful on very mobile maps where you're not coming back for already dropped EATs but less useful for areas you know you will be at for a few minutes so can drop some spares.

Neat, I'm excited to try it.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Heavy Machinegun is the second support weapon after the AMR that has no shoulder-aim, it's also one of the ones with the most infuriatingly misaligned sights. Just testing it now but it seems like the bullets hit the centre of the scope circle but the red dot is high. Really hope they sort this poo poo out, because it kinda ruins the experience of both guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dandywalken posted:

Ugh sounds lame. Was hoping itd pierce striders easy, MAYBE get reduced damage vs shield devastators.

lol god drat it... buddy was excited for this one, now it sounds poo poo!!!

Unironic "Scorcher + AMR is better than this?" when it comes to the new machinegun. Scorcher pops walkers faster and can be spared for some trash. AMR pops devastators faster for a gun you need to ADS with for practical use anyways.

As much because it was the combo I switched away from loving around on challenging to try the new machinegun. Reaching for my scorcher to kill scout walkers faster feels a lot worse with the heavy MG!

At least heavy MG feels cool when it panic sprays down a devastator dropped on your head in two seconds instead of giving it a long pause to shoot back first past fifty feet. But yeaaaah.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 28, 2024