Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Looks like Tyranny is also on sale for $7.50 on GOG which counts as "not real money" imo so it might be worth picking up on a whim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i really hope larian gets to make another great rpg instead of getting bought out and gutted. the systems and encounter design in divinity 2 were great but with bg3 they really did a good job on the story, acting, and music. if they weren't hamstrung by a lovely publisher they probably could just release the game when it was done, too

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

tyranny is an exceptionally well written game with skin-deep mechanics and clear evidence of being rushed/unfinished by the latter phase of the game. It's similar to planescape torment where the combat was clearly not the point and was developed accordingly. I still recommend it especially at $7.50

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Laezel is kind of annoying in act 1 but it's worth bullying her a bit into sticking with you because she has a good character turn.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Buck Wildman posted:

tyranny is an exceptionally well written game with skin-deep mechanics* and clear evidence of being rushed/unfinished by the latter phase of the game. It's similar to planescape torment where the combat was clearly not the point and was developed accordingly. I still recommend it especially at $7.50

*the magic system on the other hand was very well done and complex, like they did that first and had no more time for anything else

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Laezel is kind of annoying in act 1 but it's worth bullying her a bit into sticking with you because she has a good character turn.

they never really address it but it's repeatedly insinuated that lae'zel is very young for her position and is fresh out of githyanki propoganda school which is why she's so overbearing and certain of everything. in that context her arc over the game makes a lot more sense and is more compelling as she tries to reconcile what she's been taught with the reality of her circumstances

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

*the magic system on the other hand was very well done and complex, like they did that first and had no more time for anything else

yeah it's a drat shame. the fusion system is extremely innovative and I really wish it had been put to better use

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hatebag posted:

i really hope larian gets to make another great rpg instead of getting bought out and gutted. the systems and encounter design in divinity 2 were great but with bg3 they really did a good job on the story, acting, and music. if they weren't hamstrung by a lovely publisher they probably could just release the game when it was done, too

Fortunately I don't think this will happen since the director of BG3 is also their CEO. Dude knows why the game was a hit and he gets to take credit for it too so I'm sure the studio is safe for awhile.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xaris posted:

i beat it back on Best of Games for Windows 3.1 floppy

I need some simple way to look through all those old demo CDs and disks because there's tons of games that just never got properly made or finished even back in the day that I really enjoyed.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chip's challenge got a remaster recently. the first one's free and the second is $5 on steam

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the story/world owned too

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I played Tyranny the same semester my English professor explained Kleos as a Greek/roman classic lit concept and it was so so good.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So if I play Tyranny, which it sounds like I should, I should play mage instead of my standard big dumb caveman? I want to see what makes a game good, not necessarily always be a big dumb brute it's just that the latter is reliably fun and effective in any game. Morrowind is a good example, where you're really robbing yourself of some serious fun by ignoring magic and you can become ludicrously OP really easy if you lean into it. Bog standard melee however is really just not that fun or great.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

ah! materials. *slowly nodding* I hear tell materials can be very useful. my previous master was gay.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

So if I play Tyranny, which it sounds like I should, I should play mage instead of my standard big dumb caveman? I want to see what makes a game good, not necessarily always be a big dumb brute it's just that the latter is reliably fun and effective in any game. Morrowind is a good example, where you're really robbing yourself of some serious fun by ignoring magic and you can become ludicrously OP really easy if you lean into it. Bog standard melee however is really just not that fun or great.

tyranny is the most punch wizard-friendly of an rpg so I say go with that

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

the broken thing is to play a mage specializing in buffs/debuffs, buffing your companions to the gills and then just rolling them across the map auto-attacking everything in sight. p much the same as torment

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

lore is the god skill because it lets you make op spells that win combat instantly and also theres a shitload of dialogue checks for it that also unlock new options. Just be the nerd, it’s how the game wants you to play.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

the broken thing is to play a mage specializing in buffs/debuffs, buffing your companions to the gills and then just rolling them across the map auto-attacking everything in sight. p much the same as torment

CRPGs are frequently like this

Melee was OP in Arcanum but also quite boring which is why the big dumb ogre NPC in the tutorial village was the best companion by far. Just give him good equipment and he'll murder everything for you

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Astarion is a great character whose vulnerable moments are incredibly rewarding, even if he's a jerk and mostly enjoys it when you antagonize people for no reason.

He also had one of the sickest burns when hit on during my wife's playthrough: "Its not you, its me. I have standards"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nanomashoes posted:

lore is the god skill because it lets you make op spells that win combat instantly and also theres a shitload of dialogue checks for it that also unlock new options. Just be the nerd, it’s how the game wants you to play.

yeah iirc lore is the important thing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Srice posted:

Fortunately I don't think this will happen since the director of BG3 is also their CEO. Dude knows why the game was a hit and he gets to take credit for it too so I'm sure the studio is safe for awhile.

He's also gone on a few rants about the need to husband cash between big games to keep your talented veterans around and not fall into the boom/bust lure of trying to follow up a hit with rapid expansion that ultimately ends with firing everyone when it proves unsustainable

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

This feels pretty standard, buffs and especially speed buffs being completely busted is one of the oldest features of the genre

Nanomashoes posted:

High encyclopedia was one of my favorite Disco runs so this is all I needed to hear.

Bro Dad posted:

tyranny is the most punch wizard-friendly of an rpg so I say go with that

Punch wizard named Contact Mike, got it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

crepeface posted:

yeah iirc lore is the important thing

lore governs the threshold for spell fusions which is how you bust the combat wide open yeah

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hell yea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwNEwDlfCfA

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Remembering Wraith reminded me of this and it turns out its actually way worse than I remember!

https://x.com/ExileGrimm/status/1773350717656379775?s=20

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nix Panicus posted:

He's also gone on a few rants about the need to husband cash between big games to keep your talented veterans around and not fall into the boom/bust lure of trying to follow up a hit with rapid expansion that ultimately ends with firing everyone when it proves unsustainable
Compared to the US, it's also just a lot harder to fire people the way American developers do, and more expensive the more veteran they are. Which shifts the logic of even an rear end in a top hat boss closer to ensuring that your processes make every employee productive at all stages of a game's development cycle, or if not possible, that development cycles overlap so they always have poo poo to do.

Being the game director also definitely would help in terms of wanting to keep a stable development team though, so you have a better idea exactly how much you can expect from them and plan accordingly.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Remembering Wraith reminded me of this and it turns out its actually way worse than I remember!

White Wolf was so edgy yes!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

jfc lol they printed this

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

Punch wizard named Contact Mike, got it

Enjoy brother

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wait, Contact Mike would never be a bad guy, hmmmm, maybe Impact Michael, his evil twin

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the sad thing is that the holocaust book was probably one of the more tasteful things they put out for wraith

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

if you really wanna go down the rabbit hole of how bad world of darkness can get Beast is sitting in plain view

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Wait, Contact Mike would never be a bad guy, hmmmm, maybe Impact Michael, his evil twin

Impact Mark

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
youve inspired me to play some tyranny and roll a punch wizard as well. im going to name him Steven the Gull

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Buck Wildman posted:

the holocaust book

Jesus Christ

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

if you really wanna go down the rabbit hole of how bad world of darkness can get Beast is sitting in plain view

Well??? Don't leave us hanging!!!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Well??? Don't leave us hanging!!!

here it is, don't say I didn't warn you: https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/kurieg/beast-the-primordial/

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I am not a tyrant, I'm not! Oh hi Mark

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

God I love the TTRPG archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I would appreciate it if this didn't cascade into a million posts about how gross and horrible white wolf games are, we all know