Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I have never heard of French tacos before but I now plan on making one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
"French tacos" sound like a horrible new VD

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'd have assumed french tacos to be a taco chopped up into small strips or alternatively, dipped in an egg mixture and fried.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd have assumed l'acadamie would have banned the word taco as dangerously Hispanic and come up with some completely unrelated French term like collation, and would patrol the streets of Paris throwing dictionnaires through the windows of every takeout still using the forbidden term.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd have assumed l'acadamie would have banned the word taco as dangerously Hispanic and come up with some completely unrelated French term like collation, and would patrol the streets of Paris throwing dictionnaires through the windows of every takeout still using the forbidden term.

The Spanish are just confused French. They are not dangerous like the perfidious English

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All the tacaux talk made me think this was a food thread for a minute, but I got some maps to show. I found an article going over contemporary maps of the war, mostly from magazines. https://neverwasmag.com/2023/05/mapping-the-liberation-of-europe/

I really like this one from Time in 1943, which seems to pointedly propose for every possible route of invasion except for the one that actually would happen.

Also here's a Nazi propaganda map, contending that so what if there's an invasion of Italy, they're too slow. Nothing to worry about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

reichs führer iss die eier

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you want fries with your doner just get a Kapsalon already, not this stupid "French taco" whatever it is

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jehde posted:

What the hell shawarma are you buying that are being stuffed full of fries :psyduck:

I also feel like it's kinda recent, kind of the MENA equivalent of "shrinkflation", they keep the same price but they replace meat and/or comparatively expensive veggies with French fries. Like I ate at a restaurant in Tunis a couple weeks ago and had this:

I did have to click through like 20 photos on their FB page though to get a picture of a shawarma with fries inside, but I have the impression that it's pretty common? Not rare enough to make me surprised whether they have or don't have fries, for the like 8 times a year I get one.

Also since this is the maps thread, here's a map of O'Tacos locations:

Looks like their map isn't up to date. Looks like they show 253 France, 59 Belgium, 2 Germany, 1 Luxembourg, 1 Italy, 1 Spain, and 7 in overseas France (DROM)? But they're missing the Netherlands, and looks like they have at least 3 O'Tacos in Luxembourg, and looks like Italy has 3 locations now. I expect they'll manage to cross the Atlantic by storm in the next few years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lmao, O'Tacos, finally I can get tacos like my ma used to make when I was but a wee tot growing up in Dublin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Paddy Garcia's Taqueria.

Come for the O'Tacos stay for the craic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are few takeaways that are not improved by putting chips in them. This I feel is something the UK understands. Get your chippy chips, your pizza chips, your kebab chips, your chinese chips. Everyone does chips.

If it were legal to eat seagulls there would be places selling chip-fed seagull stuffed with chips.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

OwlFancier posted:

If it were legal to eat seagulls there would be places selling chip-fed seagull stuffed with chips.

Is it illegal to eat seagulls? I assume it's illegal to serve them, but I assume people don't eat them because they don't want to ...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If it were legal to eat seagulls
I don't see why it shouldn't be, just based on the principle of reciprocity. The last time I was in Brighton we were sat outside at a cafe and a seagull ate an entire Nando's chicken carcass that someone had left at the next table while making horrible rock crusher motions with its beak while directly side-eyeing me, so if that is seagull morality we should respect that and eat them full of chips.

I'd prefer a chippy tea without them being inside a gull, but they have clearly signalled what works for them. (and also by being incel cannibals where single male gulls eat gull chicks for no reason)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Saladman posted:

7 in overseas France (DROM)?

Départements et régions d’outre-mer.

But I agree with all the folks who just say add fries to something wrapped in pide and it’s better than a tacos. A tortilla is thin enough already that when pressed in a panini press it just doesn’t stand up to chunky ingredients like fries or the bigger hunks of shawarma meat.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vavrek posted:

Is it illegal to eat seagulls?

Bad luck to kill a seabird In 'em's the souls of sailors what met their maker.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its a lebanese thing iirc

Lots of arab places sell shawarma with fries here and i assumed it was because brazilians love fries and love freestyling on other people's cuisines.

It being a lebanese thing makes a lot of sense because there was a big wave of lebanese immigrants in the 20th century.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

SlothfulCobra posted:

All the tacaux talk made me think this was a food thread for a minute, but I got some maps to show. I found an article going over contemporary maps of the war, mostly from magazines. https://neverwasmag.com/2023/05/mapping-the-liberation-of-europe/

I really like this one from Time in 1943, which seems to pointedly propose for every possible route of invasion except for the one that actually would happen.

Also here's a Nazi propaganda map, contending that so what if there's an invasion of Italy, they're too slow. Nothing to worry about.

Hey Tunis to Sicily happened, that’s one opsec violation right there

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bad luck to kill a seabird In 'em's the souls of sailors what met their maker.

What the gently caress did you just say about my lobster, ye little blasted bloody film? I’ll have ye know I graduated top of my class from Lighthouse School, and our father the Sea King shall wipe ye out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on the infinite waters of the Dread Emperor himself, til even any scantling of your soul is no more, but is now itself the sea. Thou art loving blue and bloated with bilge and brine, kid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vavrek posted:

Is it illegal to eat seagulls? I assume it's illegal to serve them, but I assume people don't eat them because they don't want to ...

You need a license to kill wild birds and they probably wouldn't grant you one "so that I can stuff a seagull with chips and eat it"

And if you find a dead one you have to a: beat the other seagulls to it and b: hope it didn't die of something that would kill you if you et it.

There's a larger, underwater version of the UK that the government doesn't want you to know about so they created county-sized seagulls to guard it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 28, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

You need a license to kill wild birds and they probably wouldn't grant you one "so that I can stuff a seagull with chips and eat it"
Urban seagulls aren't wild, they're communal pets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Related to French taco chat,

Bad map about posting banh mi to Instagram:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can argue with the DEFRA llama kill squads about it if you want to.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

OwlFancier posted:

That makes sense. I don't hunt and so don't often think about the legality of killing wildlife.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can't kill albatrosses, seagull who gives a poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't honestly know what seagull tastes like though I would imagine probably like rotten fish and gristle. But I would eat the bastards out of spite.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

I don't honestly know what seagull tastes like though I would imagine probably like rotten fish and gristle. But I would eat the bastards out of spite.
If it's a proper urban one, it should be pre-seasoned with delicious fast food chemicals, a delicacy for the modern age.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Stop being weird and creepy goons about some birds

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I live by a highschool across from a McDonald's

There's a gang of the nastiest seagulls who just own the parking lot and constantly gorge themselves on greasy wrappers

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Brawnfire posted:

I live by a highschool across from a McDonald's

There's a gang of the nastiest seagulls who just own the parking lot and constantly gorge themselves on greasy wrappers

Wait til you see what the people who eat those burgers act like

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well it's been mostly hundreds of rear end in a top hat highschoolers from what I've seen and yeah they're loving awful

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Lmao, O'Tacos, finally I can get tacos like my ma used to make when I was but a wee tot growing up in Dublin

There's at least one precedent for Latin American-Irish cooperation, Bernardo O´Higgins was one of the revolutionary war heroes in Chile. There are towns named after him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Famously the Saint Patrick's Battalion in the Mexican-American war was made up of Irish immigrants who realised that what the Americans were doing in Mexico was the same thing the British did in Ireland so they switched sides.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ras Het posted:

Stop being weird and creepy goons about some birds

I was just asking my gf last night why gulls hadn't been domesticated. Many animals that live so closely with humans do so, from dogs to pigeons to rats. She asked what would the gulls be used for though and I had to get back to her on that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Obviously going gulling

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Count Roland posted:

I was just asking my gf last night why gulls hadn't been domesticated. Many animals that live so closely with humans do so, from dogs to pigeons to rats. She asked what would the gulls be used for though and I had to get back to her on that.

If you ever need to paint a car white, you can trust the gull to do it for you

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Decorus posted:

There's at least one precedent for Latin American-Irish cooperation, Bernardo O´Higgins was one of the revolutionary war heroes in Chile. There are towns named after him.

I had my honeymoon in Chile and it was a trip to see names like O'Higgins and Simpson everywhere

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland posted:

There was an attempt in World War 1 to teach them to swarm around submarines to give away their location and maybe poop on periscopes, but aside from that, nothing.

The process of becoming vermin who primarily get their food by following around humans is a little like domestication, but not quite.

Seagulls can also be fairly impressive as predators, and there are videos of them eating various smaller creatures, but I don't think they could kill enough for that to be their primary purpose like cats.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seagulls can also be fairly impressive as predators, and there are videos of them eating various smaller creatures, but I don't think they could kill enough for that to be their primary purpose like cats.

In less populated coastlines they are really cool predatory shorebirds, amazing to watch. It's a shame what becomes of them in big beach towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are still quite predatory I assure you.