Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
classic slate take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

eviltastic posted:

It was a meta-commentary article about other media articles with a creepy focus on that person's bust in particular. Whoever wrote the tweet flew too close and didn't pull up.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/03/sydney-sweeney-snl-hooters-glen-powell.html

Writer who just wrote a whole article about this topic posted:

This much discussion about one woman’s body is unhealthy for everyone.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Oh hey 6 months later the NYT found an actual first hand Hamas sexual assault victim

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zerg Mans posted:

Oh hey 6 months later the NYT found an actual first hand Hamas sexual assault victim

don't think they did

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

the milk machine posted:

classic slate take

My fave slate article:
https://slate.com/human-interest/2013/09/don-t-hug-it-out-hugs-are-awkward-falsely-intimate-power-plays-that-must-be-stopped.html

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Cerebral Bore posted:

is there a snappy name for this thing people do where they are all "we need to talk about x" where x is something that nobody but them actually wants or needs to talk about?

the royal we

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

incredible

quote:

It is time for us to recognize the hug for the charade that it is. Rarely is it a gesture of sincere fellowship, compassion, or affection. More often, it is a soulless imposition that is gravitating toward its victim at an alarming rate. So next time I see you, let’s try keeping our limbs to ourselves. It’s nothing personal—and that’s the point.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

is there a snappy name for this thing people do where they are all "we need to talk about x" where x is something that nobody but them actually wants or needs to talk about?

its called having a mouse in your pocket

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/jacobin/status/1773376090527961517?t=pfG-Kd9ugjClGEP-ADke6A&s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

deleted

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

delicious, thank you

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

japan was colonized after world war ii.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/joemayall/status/1773517977964454065

Postin' through it.

e: the article is a gem:

quote:

While there's no shortage of movies and television featuring the struggle ubderway between colonized and colonizers (Killers of the Flower Moon, The Expanse)

quote:

As Shogun, and the harrowing images coming out of Gaza show, the colonizers try to dehumanize their victims

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Mar 29, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah like the whole Meiji Restoration and what followed I'm pretty sure was specifically Japan seeing what European powers were doing to China, going 'oh poo poo, they're clearly drooling at the thought of doing that to us' and playing imperial catch-up. Not that they didn't have experience with that before with Hideyoshi invading Korea. (I think that's the one anyway.)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

one weird trick to stop the colonizer: turn every white man that lands on your shores into soup

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda lol that there's multiple media atm with themes of 'early modern Japan was probably right to treat white people as literal devils and they agree'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Christ

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1773403307605921840?t=OQRdE-UCaJBSpMfSAbiy5Q&s=19

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I'm only two episodes in to Shogun, but it's pro-watch so far. However, as a white guy, the white guy soup part was pretty rough to watch/listen to.

deadjb
Aug 11, 2002

shogun is schlock but it’s the best schlock and instead of a really fat tokugawa ieyasu it’s scorpion.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I dunno why they had to make the white guy English though. Dutch ship just happened to have an English pilot huh? Sure, ok.

deadjb
Aug 11, 2002

his character is based on william adams, an english sailor who sailed on a dutch ship to japan and then was gifted the very first dragon shirt. the presence of the portuguese and all that with the dutch eventually dislodging them is more or less right. but they already started pushing to expel the catholics before the taiko died. catholics being on the council of regents isn’t true.

e: i’m probably also extremely stupid and letting a joke go over my head sorry

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am confused on how the Portuguese and Spanish and the one Japanese Christian all know English (or are they all supposed to be talking Portuguese?)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

cat botherer posted:

I'm only two episodes in to Shogun, but it's pro-watch so far. However, as a white guy, the white guy soup part was pretty rough to watch/listen to.

it was merely a swamp german.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

cat botherer posted:

I am confused on how the Portuguese and Spanish and the one Japanese Christian all know English (or are they all supposed to be talking Portuguese?)

yes, they're supposed to be speaking Portuguese.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

cat botherer posted:

allo allo logic.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

the portuguese people's dialogue is in English, characters say repeatedly that they're speaking portuguese, the priests taught mariko to speak portuguese, etc.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
shogun prequel where the japanese do cartoonish warcrimes to joseon civilians.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

shocking levels of media literacy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

shogun prequel where the japanese do cartoonish warcrimes to joseon civilians.

i think that would be the ryukyu kingdom

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cassian of Imola posted:

the portuguese people's dialogue is in English, characters say repeatedly that they're speaking portuguese, the priests taught mariko to speak portuguese, etc.
yeah but it's weird that the Japanese is in Japanese, but the Portuguese is in English.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

cat botherer posted:

yeah but it's weird that the Japanese is in Japanese, but the Portuguese is in English.

not really

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Lmao have you never seen an English language product set in a different time/place than the UK/US ever before?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cat botherer posted:

For the best, given the importance of Blackthorne needing translators to the plot. Imagine trying to follow the scenes where Mariko (or the Portuguese priests) translate for him if they were all speaking in a language that is also foreign to you.

Blackthorne and the translators' Portuguese would also be subtitled and you'd have to catch the switches between them talking to each other and the translations.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Mar 29, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

cat botherer posted:

europeans barely bathed so I bet they stunk up the whole village making that soup, what a self own

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
oh Tadanobu Asano is in that. he’s always worth watching.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

For the best, given the importance of Blackthorne needing translators. Imagine trying to follow the scenes where Mariko (or the Portuguese priests) translate for him if they were all speaking in a language that is also foreign to you.

that probably wouldn't be so bad since Portuguese and Japanese sound so different, plus you can use different styles for the subtitles. but casting actors, and hiring screenwriters and directors, fluent in both Portuguese and Japanese would be a nightmare

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
all whiteys speak the same language anyway, they just mask this fact with their yakubian tricknology

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Cassian of Imola posted:

that probably wouldn't be so bad since Portuguese and Japanese sound so different, plus you can use different styles for the subtitles. but casting actors, and hiring screenwriters and directors, fluent in both Portuguese and Japanese would be a nightmare

probably a lot of Brazilians could do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the milk machine posted:

europeans barely bathed so I bet they stunk up the whole village making that soup, what a self own