Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

NIXON (muttering) Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i say swears online posted:

anyone heard of The Regime on hbo? it just started this month and is supposed to be a "geopolitical satire" about "the danger of reelecting donald trump" and is "dangerously funny"

please someone else watch the first ep and report back

my gf wants to watch it next so i guess ill find out. the trailer didnt really read as trump to me in any specific way, so im hoping its just another case of liberals pointing at the screen and yelling "thats trump!" anytime a bad person appears

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

loquacius posted:

It was the loving monster on the plane episode

the idea that there are invisible monsters lurking around to kill people, and the concept of suddenly being aware of one and nobody believing you, really messed up my tiny mind

Yeah I just watched that one scene where he looks out the window, and it scared me forever. A couple years ago someone made Shadow in the Cloud with Chloe Moretz, it's a fun spin on that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

busalover posted:

Yeah I just watched that one scene where he looks out the window, and it scared me forever. A couple years ago someone made Shadow in the Cloud with Chloe Moretz, it's a fun spin on that.

shadow in the cloud is an a+ Bro Night movie, real good fun in a group

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

my gf wants to watch it next so i guess ill find out. the trailer didnt really read as trump to me in any specific way, so im hoping its just another case of liberals pointing at the screen and yelling "thats trump!" anytime a bad person appears

yeah its not trump, its more like what if a struggling eastern european country was culturally american

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i would say that the message is still pretty bad, and anti-russian

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

loquacius posted:

It was the loving monster on the plane episode

the idea that there are invisible monsters lurking around to kill people, and the concept of suddenly being aware of one and nobody believing you, really messed up my tiny mind

The one that stuck out to me the most was the one where the mobster goes to hell, that really changed my perspective on what "hell" could be like as a kid

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

selec posted:

seriously who the gently caress signed off on a dark “nothing is real/paradise is a trap” two parter

https://youtu.be/dabVaor2NlQ?si=qljb_4TscCFUWMid

https://youtu.be/GZB_VKM7Zpo?si=-4xIFS5dqCOpV4Ui

I watched that again a while back and noticed the Prisoner references I missed as a kid, like Shipwreck living at Number Six, Village Lane. But it is disturbing in a way you might not expect, with Shipwreck breaking down and thinking he's going insane.

And then there's the ending where he finds out his wife and daughter aren't real, and when he walks out of the house Lady Jaye says "Was there something important in there?" and he says "No, just a dream." :smith:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I was basically only allowed to watch the news but I was allowed to watch any and all of the news, so that video of that guy being executed by pistol in Vietnam hosed me up as a child. It was on some frontline documentary or something. And videos of famines. Also my parents thought Unsolved Mysteries counted as the news enough for me to watch, so I was extremely terrified of the ever present very real threat of alien abduction.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My parents somehow allowed me to watch The Terminator when I was 6. Lifelong nightmares right there about red eyed dudes looking to kill you.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my parents didn't let me watch gore-y stuff but my grandfather had a time life encyclopedia set about WWII with a whole book about the us nuking japan. i can still see some of those pictures, terrible stuff

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRw7ozdOgbE

I was expecting Funimation ripoff but actually am quite please by the palate and background

i was oddly surprised that hammer mans origin story wasnt being a superambitious dude or winning the genetic lottery but just being a cool guy who ran a community recreational center so the people who used to have the magic shoes just gave them to him because they thought he was trustworthy

cant help but feel like theres ominous social commentary in that

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

I was forced to watch It when I was 6 and I couldn't sleep for days afterward, I was allowed to tap out like halfway through and go outside. We had a big clothesline out there though and I kept thinking of the scene where Pennywise shows up from behind one. Stood there for like an hour with my bb gun aimed at it just in case lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait is the name rosa parks being used metaphorically or is the context of the scene literally elon musk meets rosa parks

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lets. freaking. go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fYtuE_ZJ4E

selec
Sep 6, 2003

do we have a “help me find this piece of media I swear existed” thread on the forum?

I am obsessed with locating a headache medicine commercial from the 80s or 90s that used either the original or a cover of “Release Me” by Englebert Humperdinck, which was IIRC a series of slow mo shots of close ups of faces looking pained, and I can never find any evidence it existed beyond my memories of it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is yorgos a hack

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

wait is the name rosa parks being used metaphorically or is the context of the scene literally elon musk meets rosa parks

metaphorically, the young girl had just quoted Gil Scott-Heron so the father said the captioned quote in reply

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

selec posted:

do we have a “help me find this piece of media I swear existed” thread on the forum?

I am obsessed with locating a headache medicine commercial from the 80s or 90s that used either the original or a cover of “Release Me” by Englebert Humperdinck, which was IIRC a series of slow mo shots of close ups of faces looking pained, and I can never find any evidence it existed beyond my memories of it

guess this weekend you will have to binge the hours long videos on YouTube that are all 80s 90s commercials

selec
Sep 6, 2003

sonatinas posted:

guess this weekend you will have to binge the hours long videos on YouTube that are all 80s 90s commercials

I will not be doing that!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

anyone heard of The Regime on hbo? it just started this month and is supposed to be a "geopolitical satire" about "the danger of reelecting donald trump" and is "dangerously funny"

It's none of those things except maybe "geopolitical satire", if said satire is mostly just sort of a generic eastern european state principally defined by a series of confusing accent choices and its love of beetroot.

It's got like, 20% Terry Gilliam energy thanks to its two leads, but it needs several times more, and possibly actual Terry Gilliam behind the camera. It just feels kind of limp, like old lettuce.

Oh, and the opening credits are easily some of the worst HBO have ever produced.

Open Source Idiom has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Mar 29, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cael posted:

My dad once told me when we were out "when I die, I want you to spread my ashes at Pat O'Brien's on Bourbon Street" and I laughed at him and he replied completely straight-faced "No, I'm serious". So I've got to come up with a strategy for dumping a bunch of ashes around a big fountain in the middle of a crowded bar at some point.

have u ever seen the shawshank redemption it may hold the answer you seek for your morbid riddle

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is what watching The History Channel is like now. If it's not a jobs show or Ancient Aliens, it's non-stop glowing biopics about CEOs and Industrialists. When I was visiting my folks last week I had to watch a dramatization of Orville Redenbacher reverse engineering the microwave bag.

wait a minute are you saying orville redenbacher didnt invent the microwave bag who did he steal it from

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

is yorgos a hack

hes terrific

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

it is really loving boring. refused to watch the second episode

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Nonsense posted:

goons claiming to have watched criteon collection in grade school is always a hoot

I wasn't watching them because I had such a precocious appreciation of film, I just knew they were For Adults which to me meant violence and/or boobs

I'd get so pissed off when I saw or rented an R rated movie and got neither

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

I regret not loving myself up more

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

selec posted:

the twilight zone episode where the guy keeps seeing the same man on the side of the road as he drives was an all-loving timer for me as a kid. just such a haunting image, found myself recreating that feeling or homaging it or whatever several times making art as an adult.

can someone more clearly identify this episode so i can watch it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

can someone more clearly identify this episode so i can watch it

I did a search earlier and there's one from season one called "The Hitch-Hiker" which fits most of this description except that the main character is a woman

selec
Sep 6, 2003

loquacius posted:

I did a search earlier and there's one from season one called "The Hitch-Hiker" which fits most of this description except that the main character is a woman

it feels like that exact same plot, but the episode I’m remembering was in color, the driver was a man and the guy he kept seeing on the side of the road was somebody who was maybe already dead and he felt some kind of guilt about it.
might’ve been a scientist of some kind.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
reminds me of that Philip K Dick short story where everyone in the world turns into the main character's girlfriend

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

reminds me of that Philip K Dick short story where everyone in the world turns into the main character's girlfriend

Lmao loving sci-fi writers

selec
Sep 6, 2003

the guy he was seeing alongside the road was also obviously ghostly/glowy too

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

indigi posted:

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie and book reality come in and are my girlfriend*

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I think you’re describing an episode of The Outer Limits.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie and book reality come in and are my girlfriend*

Oh no. Evil Arnold from terminator 1 girlfriend is getting into a cat fight with good Arnold from terminator 2 girlfriend :ohdear:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

he was right about valis

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BONGHITZ posted:

he was right about valis

Hearty lol

quote:

Eric Lampton: Rock star, screenwriter, actor, a. k. a. "Mother Goose"; a fictionalised version of David Bowie.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Action Jacktion posted:

I watched that again a while back and noticed the Prisoner references I missed as a kid, like Shipwreck living at Number Six, Village Lane. But it is disturbing in a way you might not expect, with Shipwreck breaking down and thinking he's going insane.

And then there's the ending where he finds out his wife and daughter aren't real, and when he walks out of the house Lady Jaye says "Was there something important in there?" and he says "No, just a dream." :smith:

Gonna check these out. Love how referential and adult some older kids shows could be in that kind of way.

I will not make any deals with you. I’ve resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

wait a minute are you saying orville redenbacher didnt invent the microwave bag who did he steal it from

Civil war era us secret service