Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Isn't there a place they could find cheaper tugs? $5000 is a little dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Isn't there a place they could find cheaper tugs? $5000 is a little dear.

Something happen in the Stormy Daniels case?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

never change, sa

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kagrenak posted:

Quick lunchtime math from numbers I could find: seems like the tugs cost maybe $5000 average and there are around 300-600 big cargo ship movements in that port in a year (hard to exactly tell what numbers are for what vessel types). The cost estimate for replacement is like $400M so it'd take like 100,000 of those tug fees to reach that cost. So yeah it seems like somewhere on the order of 300 years to reach the same cost. Bar Ran Dun might have a better idea than my quick look though.

You’d need to repeat and add up this calculation at all ports with a similar bridge situation tho.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

yronic heroism posted:

You’d need to repeat and add up this calculation at all ports with a similar bridge situation tho.

Only if you're adding the costs of saving all the other bridges. You have to count tug jobs per bridge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Are there any estimates yet for when the replacement bridge will begin erection?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Only if you're adding the costs of saving all the other bridges. You have to count tug jobs per bridge.

But the cost and benefit nationally/globally is the point. We’re talking about a new rule or at least best practice is for this not to happen again anywhere.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
how many tug jobs are needed per bridge? This could be handy when discussing erection timelines.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

haveblue posted:

Are there any estimates yet for when the replacement bridge will begin erection?
Secretary Buttigieg spoke on this Wednesday. The press briefing went on for more than an hour, but to sum it up, it's going to be a long and hard process, to say the least.
Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg, and Deputy Commandant for Operations for the U.S. Coast Guard Vice Admiral Peter Gautier | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 posted:

SECRETARY BUTTIGIEG: Too soon to be certain. What I’ll say in the case of the bridge is that the original bridge took five years to construct. That does not necessarily mean it will take five years to replace. But that — that tells you what went into that original structure going up.

Again, we need to get a sense of the conditions of the parts that look okay to the naked eye, but we just don’t know yet, especially in terms of their foundational infrastructure.

So, it is going to be some time where commuters are going to need to depend on that 95 and 895 tunnel, and it’s going to put pressure on them.

As far as the port, again, too soon to venture an estimate. The vast majority of the port is inside of that bridge, now, which means most of it cannot operate; although, there is a facility at what’s called Sparrows Point that can handle some amount of cargo shipping but nothing close to the totality of Baltimore.

Our country put its arms around Florida when the Sunshine Skyway Bridge collapsed in 1980. America rallied around Minnesota after the bridge there collapsed in 2007. This will be a long and difficult path. But we will come together around Baltimore, and we will rebuild together.
The nation must put its arms around Baltimore and come together.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1773682369284735076
https://twitter.com/forbesmm/status/1773729463533969906

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mawarannahr posted:

Secretary Buttigieg spoke on this Wednesday. The press briefing went on for more than an hour, but to sum it up, it's going to be a long and hard process, to say the least.
Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg, and Deputy Commandant for Operations for the U.S. Coast Guard Vice Admiral Peter Gautier | The White House

The nation must put its arms around Baltimore and come together.

Most of the nation:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

haveblue posted:

Maybe erection would happen faster if we showed it some pictures of curvy bridges?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

This story is wild. I buy the argument it advances that the sort of person who battles their way to white house journalism is inherently going to be an ambitious weirdo (or, I suppose, that one Indian-American reporter).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gold plates is more than a bit too much for me, but I’d kind of judge someone if they rode on Air Force One and didn’t at least try to steal a pen or something.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Nervous posted:

Maybe erection would happen faster if we showed it some pictures of curvy bridges?

That bridge is fake. You can still see the bandages from the implants on the left.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Following up on Baltimore, the timeline:

There was about 90 seconds between people on the ground getting notice and the impact.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think it might be time for society to have an earnest conversation about the unreal expectations placed on our bridges and the tugjobs that are performed to maintain these expectations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

yronic heroism posted:

But the cost and benefit nationally/globally is the point. We’re talking about a new rule or at least best practice is for this not to happen again anywhere.

Right, but in terms of the value of the rule, you have to count saved bridges against the additional cost in added tug job duration. It's not just the cost of this one collapse, it's thr saved costs of all the bridges that didn't collapse because we all paid for the extra tugging.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Morrow posted:

There was about 90 seconds between people on the ground getting notice and the impact.

That’s actually incredibly fast. I’m sure the people in that chain are wishing they could’ve gone even faster, but to go from a problem happening on a boat to a bridge being mostly closed in less than 5 minutes with no warning is incredibly impressive.

Most people can’t leave their house in that kind of time.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

yeah jesus

thirty one seconds and the pilot had already mayday'd the shore with explicit instructions to close the bridge

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Xiahou Dun posted:

Gold plates is more than a bit too much for me, but I’d kind of judge someone if they rode on Air Force One and didn’t at least try to steal a pen or something.

It's only human to try to get a souvenir. But there's a difference between the kind of person who sneaks a pen or something that could reasonably missed, and brazenly walking out with so much silverware that every step clanks like a percussion sections.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I would kind of expect everyone around Trump to also steal everything not nailed down.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat why is Biden allowing that to happen.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

https://youtu.be/uErKI0zWgjg?si=3gWvcLQGwA1agyJs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Staluigi posted:

yeah jesus

thirty one seconds and the pilot had already mayday'd the shore with explicit instructions to close the bridge

Even more impressive because a lot of those 31 seconds are probably covered by the radio not working because the ship power was out

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

haveblue posted:

Even more impressive because a lot of those 31 seconds are probably covered by the radio not working because the ship power was out

ianabrd but i would assume the pilot has their own communication equipment or something

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Far longer. They already have to pay the tugs. This would just be the tugs going slightly farther.

Basically the added cost is just paying for the finish

The consequential costs are also staggering. The RORO and container terminal being closed for a couple of months, pants making GBS threads expensive. Not have a bridge for several years pants making GBS threads expensive. Wreck clearing will be pants shittingly expensive. The ship will be off charter, it’ll have to goto ship yard, the general average claim will take years, expensive as all hell.

Tugs are a fart in the wind. Even better they’re stimulative spending. A stimulative fart that the shipping lines would bear.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 29, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Staluigi posted:

ianabrd but i would assume the pilot has their own communication equipment or something

I would also assume that the ship radio must be able to work independently of the general power system exactly for power outages.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Early on people were mentioning handheld radios, of which the pilot almost certainly would've had one of their own. And it's not like they need to use a lot of power to get the message out, handheld VHF radios can easily be heard clearly a few miles away and can go much farther in the right conditions. I'm sure the ship had higher powered long-range radio systems for communicating while at sea but they probably wouldn't use those close to shore anyway, not least because of potential interference issues with putting that much power out. Also there seem to be standard channels for this kind of thing so you probably don't want your mayday to get picked up in Norfolk or whatever.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nenonen posted:

I would also assume that the ship radio must be able to work independently of the general power system exactly for power outages.

SOLAS convention requires the emergency power source to automatically start and fully power critical systems within 45 seconds. There's no requirement for any truly uninterruptible power supply.

I saw elsewhere (the Washington Post I believe) that the pilots bring their own handheld radios for exactly this sort of situation.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Xiahou Dun posted:

You used to see this stuff pop up for sale from time to time. One of the more interesting Ebay auctions I ever saw was for an Air Force One ashtray. Meaning it not only was stolen from AF1, but it was stolen during the Reagan years or earlier. This was circa 2004 or 2005, before counterfeiting these items would be have been easy (or even necessarily worth it).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Don't those people have phones? smh

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xerol posted:

Early on people were mentioning handheld radios, of which the pilot almost certainly would've had one of their own. And it's not like they need to use a lot of power to get the message out, handheld VHF radios can easily be heard clearly a few miles away and can go much farther in the right conditions. I'm sure the ship had higher powered long-range radio systems for communicating while at sea but they probably wouldn't use those close to shore anyway, not least because of potential interference issues with putting that much power out. Also there seem to be standard channels for this kind of thing so you probably don't want your mayday to get picked up in Norfolk or whatever.

There are specific VHF channels for marine emergencies. With a radio tuned to those they could have found out a bit quicker. But it still might have taken a bit to figure out that they needed to get off the bridge.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The ship would also be helmed by the harbor pilot at that point, so presumably prepared that this might be a possibility and who to contact for an emergency

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vessel will have charged hand held radios in the bridge, just because and then some required by SOLAS on the bridge stored too.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Morrow posted:

That's impressive, so is the pilot going from the lights going out to figuring they have to make the call to close the bridge in 31 seconds, especially if they had no reason to think everything wasn't normal just beforehand.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

That's impressive, so is the pilot going from the lights going out to figuring they have to make the call to close the bridge in 31 seconds, especially if they had no reason to think everything wasn't normal just beforehand.

From what it seems, from the initial mayday call everything went as well as it could have. There's the obvious exception of the workers on the bridge but given the timeframe I don't think there's any way they could have been saved, even if they had also been able to receive the mayday call and immediately leave.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, the only reason everyone else got off the bridge is because they were already in the process of driving across it. The bridge is more than a mile long, so the last cars that got on before it closed probably just got off it in the minute+ that they had.

Like maybe they could've run to their personal vehicles, jumped in, and drove out of danger in two minutes, but for that timeline to work they would've had to be very high up the chain of messaging.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kagrenak posted:

Quick lunchtime math from numbers I could find: seems like the tugs cost maybe $5000 average and there are around 300-600 big cargo ship movements in that port in a year (hard to exactly tell what numbers are for what vessel types). The cost estimate for replacement is like $400M so it'd take like 100,000 of those tug fees to reach that cost. So yeah it seems like somewhere on the order of 300 years to reach the same cost. Bar Ran Dun might have a better idea than my quick look though.

I gotta say 400mil for a whole new bridge seems cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I gotta say 400mil for a whole new bridge seems cheap

yeah that's only like 4 F-35s (I know that's not how budgets work but still)