Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

All I'm saying is the character writing felt flat and the story failed to get an emotional response from me. I'm not bothered by a particular technical issue, or the quantitative amount of suffering present in the story. Maybe I just don't like grimdark stories in general, but I didn't care for this one. I wanted to like Dion but I felt like he didn't get enough time in the story.

The gameplay does looks great, the visuals are fantastic, and the sound/music design are top notch. Best kaiju battles I've ever seen in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We'll all be too busy giving pets to the goodest boy to explain to Clive that magic is just kinda normal here.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I was kinda confused in 16 as to what the rest of the planet is like. I wonder if we'll get any hints in the second DLC.

Is the guy who led the writing on 16 coming back to 14 now?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Torgal should have been the main character imo

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

All I'm saying is the character writing felt flat and the story failed to get an emotional response from me. I'm not bothered by a particular technical issue, or the quantitative amount of suffering present in the story. Maybe I just don't like grimdark stories in general, but I didn't care for this one. I wanted to like Dion but I felt like he didn't get enough time in the story.

The gameplay does looks great, the visuals are fantastic, and the sound/music design are top notch. Best kaiju battles I've ever seen in a video game.

I mean that's totally valid! Also I do think the problem with Dion is writing-wise the story arguably doesn't really reckon with how Dion was the top enforcer and paragon for Sanbreque when everything we see about Sanbreque is so founded upon slavery and human misery that it makes his Superman-esque coding (to supposedly contrast with Clive's Grim Antihero coding) fall a bit flat. It feels a bit like he was from a slightly older draft of the game and not wholly updated to fit the prominence of the Bearer world element.

He's a great character but it's a little detail that rankled at me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dumb question since I can't remember how EW's preorder went down: I got and redeemed my code for the Zidane minion/Azeyma Earrings. Is there going to be a separate code for the actual expansion/early access? Or did the preorder code for the items cover that?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

the_steve posted:

Dumb question since I can't remember how EW's preorder went down: I got and redeemed my code for the Zidane minion/Azeyma Earrings. Is there going to be a separate code for the actual expansion/early access? Or did the preorder code for the items cover that?

The pre-order code covers early access, but that will 'expire' like a week after the expansion launches. You should get the actual expansion key closer to release, but you won't be able to use it until the expansion launches.

I think that's how it works, from memory anyway

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

The same preorder code that got you the minion and earring gets you early access. Once the game is Properly Released, you'll get a second code that you have to use to continue playing in the expansion once the early access period ends. If I recall, there may be a little grace period overlap so you're not immediately kicked out in case the main code is delayed.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

When does the mount get released, along with the expansion or before?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is another one of the weird things 16 gets dinged for that's largely true of any final fantasy that involves international conflict.

To the point that I initially thought that post was about XIV

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rantmo posted:

When does the mount get released, along with the expansion or before?

Alongside.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Torgal should have been the main character imo

:same:

I read spoilers for FF16 but I feel like this would've compelled me to wait for the PC release instead of completely forgetting it later.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

That's an absolutely fair opinion.

I definitely feel like FF16 is not without is own issues. I feel like the back third of the game feels incredibly loving rushed and it felt like the game just started cutting corners through the end.

Everything after Twinside felt incredibly underdeveloped and lacking in emotional resonance.

I think that is what leads to people saying "Oh they abandoned the early game themes toward the end" - It's not that they abandoned them, its that the whole final areas were rushed and underdeveloped to the point that its easy to gloss over it.

FFXVI spoilers: Barnabas and the continent of Ash were the most loving boring poo poo imo. Barnabas should have been present far earlier to have any impact. Instead we get only a couple intensely brief scenes with him behind the scenes. And "lol the other continent is completely dead no one lives there and no one on the main continent knew this!" had me rolling my loving eyes.

We had three large world zones for the first continent and then one medium size zone for the final continent - with basically nothing to do there.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have not played XVI yet on account of a lack of PS5 but I will say i think the character designs are very boring and dislike how there are only two female characters that seem to be prominent when everyone knows Final Fantasy games get 3 female characters.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

if FFXIV is any indication, they should make the main character of the next game a catgirl and it will be the most successful final fantasy ever

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FuturePastNow posted:

if FFXIV is any indication, they should make the main character of the next game a catgirl and it will be the most successful final fantasy ever

They also want to make FF17 a musical and we all know how well musicals about cats go.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hellioning posted:

I have not played XVI yet on account of a lack of PS5 but I will say i think the character designs are very boring and dislike how there are only two female characters that seem to be prominent when everyone knows Final Fantasy games get 3 female characters.

If you're looking for a game that does well by the female characters - do not look at FFXVI.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ojjeorago posted:

They also want to make FF17 a musical and we all know how well musicals about cats go.

I enjoyed the stage play Cats. As long as they do it like that I think they would be fine.

Mordiceius posted:

If you're looking for a game that does well by the female characters - do not look at FFXVI.

Alas.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

Dawntrail testing the waters with Wuk Lamat.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gul Lamat

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dawntrail testing the waters with Wuk Lamat.

She is immediately the best and I am going to absolutely body Thancred and Urianger if they oppose her.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I thought I'd get around to trying out raiding at some point during EW, but I've somehow spent the past 2ish years of off and on play just catching up on side quests, unlocking earlier expansion content, decorating my house and leveling up jobs. I've done basically no level 90 combat gameplay aside from what's necessary for the patch content. And there's still a lot of pre-EW stuff I wanted to catch up on and haven't. Anyone else in a similar spot? Feels like all I really hear from people post MSQ is complaining about dead game or raiding

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

get Mark Alaimo and Andrew J. Robbinson on 17's voice cast. Pretty sure they can both sing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ojjeorago posted:

Looking forward to Final Fantasy 17: Theatrhythm Online

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
i meant to raid with p5-8 but never really got started on it.

the one time i did a current one was barb ex in pf and it went perfectly fine, just a couple hours of party hopping before clearing it the day before the first reset. just never got geared and motivated enough to try pf for anything else

the rest of it i've been just doing the usual. farming gold saucer, getting into big fishing, doing all the beast tribes. i really should go do all the routes for each variant dungeon but i never even set foot in any of them but sil'dihn.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rap Game Goku posted:

get Mark Alaimo and Andrew J. Robbinson on 17's voice cast. Pretty sure they can both sing.

i love both of those men dearly, but i sadly don't like the prospects of two dudes born at the tail end of world war 2 managing to make it to FF17's production cycle given SE's track record

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rap Game Goku posted:

They wouldn't even need to be able to sing, really, I bet they could both Lithgow well enough.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
so you think we're getting a b3nchmark during the April live letter?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm thinking it's rather likely, yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

so you think we're getting a b3nchmark during the April live letter?

Odds are extremely high.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Honestly the timeline is pretty close for the job action trailer too, we got the EW one like 2 months before the original projected launch date

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Benchmark’s pretty likely, and I’m excited to see the customizations for femme Hrothgars. As for the job action trailer—according to a giant, bolded message dropped in my FFXIV news feed—is planned to coincide with the May 2024 PLL during the media tour.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Stormblood and Endwalker benchmarks were about a month before the media tour, but the Shadowbringers one was only a week.

So about 50/50 on the benchmark tbh.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think they'll release the benchmark at the same time as the job actions trailer

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Heavensward writer guy can do one thing reasonably well

letting female characters do anything is not it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
he let shiva do the dying, a far worse crime than not letting her do anything :v:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Hellioning posted:

It's perhaps an issue that I genuinely am not sure who the second one is that you mean.

(There's a few options but none of them are great.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

lines posted:

It's perhaps an issue that I genuinely am not sure who the second one is that you mean.

Oh dear.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Subreddit Discord says we're not getting the job actions trailer until the media tour in May, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

lines posted:

Midadol is great, how dare you.

Unrelated, there a mod or plugin out there that is just like, a little lantern that lights up your area? Sometimes things are dark and some more light would be nice. I know the sun and moon minions exist but their radius sucks.