Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lockback posted:

A lot of the old midrange shots that went away were boring basketball anyway.

You weren't watching the NBA for the one Ben Wallace 12 foot banker he was allowed per game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Panzeh posted:

You weren't watching the NBA for the one Ben Wallace 12 foot banker he was allowed per game?

According to the stats a lot of those are still around! The Wolves let Rudy fling it at the basket from the top of the key every now and then. It gets your heart going.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
as someone who watches Joel Embiid regularly i often get confused when people bemoan the death of the midrange because i'm here like "i see it every game*?"

*well, every game he plays at least

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I exclusively shoot baseline jumpers when I play this thread is bumming me out

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I think of passing out to Horace Grant and him clacking a 20 footer when I think of long twos

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

I like seeing the ball go in at high rate instead of a technical good rate

eyballing seasons from the 90s to now, teams didn't shoot a higher percentage back then. i understand what you're saying, you want to see more made baskets rather than fewer, but it just isn't the case that basketball was like that in the olden days. shooting percentages were higher in the 80s, contrary to tough guy legend, but that was because of bad defense more than shot selection imo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I love when sports are Optimized and every team plays the exact same way and the only thing that determines who wins or loses a game is who makes more threes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What multiple ways to win the game are there at the end of the game there are realistically only two ways to score points

Three if you count free throws

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

I love when sports are Optimized and every team plays the exact same way and the only thing that determines who wins or loses a game is who makes more threes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R.D. Mangles posted:

looks to me like the correlation between 3pt% and winning and the correlation between fg% and winning are more or less identical. i guess what you'd really want to look at would be if fg% was less indicative of winning in the 80s and 90s but I'm going to bet it looks about the same

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

do you think I'm going to look at numbers to see if what I'm complaining about is actually happening before just firing off a post?????????

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R.D. Mangles posted:

do you think I'm going to look at numbers to see if what I'm complaining about is actually happening before just firing off a post?????????

no and i wouldn't want you to please don't change

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

This was every Mavs game until the trades. Now they just dunk it down the other team’s throat. The NBA needs to do more to encourage dunks and de-emphasize threes to an extent. Dunks are better entertainment than 3s and the point is entertainment. It is time to make alley oops worth 4 points.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Same thing happened in baseball where nowadays pretty much all hits are from the same small area around home plate

I really hope basketball doesn't get ruined like baseball has

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

This was every Mavs game until the trades. Now they just dunk it down the other team’s throat. The NBA needs to do more to encourage dunks and de-emphasize threes to an extent. Dunks are better entertainment than 3s and the point is entertainment. It is time to make alley oops worth 4 points.

And thats why Rudy Gobert is the most exciting offensive player in the league

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

well it helps that baseball was never good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Same thing happened in baseball where nowadays pretty much all hits are from the same small area around home plate

I really hope basketball doesn't get ruined like baseball has

isn't that just the strike zone though

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It sucks to make the old man “but FUNDAMENTALS!!” argument but baseball was better and more fun to watch when teams still played small ball instead of obsessing over launch angle and dingers or whiffs weren’t the only two outcomes.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It sucks to make the old man “but FUNDAMENTALS!!” argument but baseball was better and more fun to watch when teams still played small ball instead of obsessing over launch angle and dingers or whiffs weren’t the only two outcomes.

Never bunt, hit dingers

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Late to the Hali chat, but yeah, I think the biggest thing is that he's still not fully recovered from the injury. But I think there's also a couple other things. His shot isn't falling, and I can't say if that's because of his confidence or he can't get as much on the shot as the injury. It's a pretty bad slump but these things tend to even out eventually.

The other is I think he's still learning when he needs to be more aggressive. There are times where he should take over the game and keep the ball and drive to get contact and go to the line or so he can draw more people into the paint. Again the injury might also be a part of this, but I think it's mainly something that he needs to learn. It would help if the Pacers got foul calls their way which never seems to happen, too. But like against the Lakers you could see the team struggling and Siakam basically tried to put them on his back. That's something that Hali needs to do more of, and he's show he can do it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Baseball turning into just strikeouts and home runs is like the purest distillation of what's boring about baseball, just a bunch of dudes standing around doing nothing

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DeimosRising posted:

eyballing seasons from the 90s to now, teams didn't shoot a higher percentage back then. i understand what you're saying, you want to see more made baskets rather than fewer, but it just isn't the case that basketball was like that in the olden days. shooting percentages were higher in the 80s, contrary to tough guy legend, but that was because of bad defense more than shot selection imo

They played at a lot higher pace in the 80s than today, even moreso in the 60s, they just ran a lot, until the 90s happened and everyone slowed way down and we're just recovering like that, like when the pacers showed up this season and played at the highest pace in a long long time it would be a pretty mid pace team in the 80s.

60s basketball was like grinnell but without the 3s.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

And thats why Rudy Gobert is the most exciting offensive player in the league

Any season’s top ten dunks highlight video is better than the same season’s top ten 3s highlight video.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Panzeh posted:

They played at a lot higher pace in the 80s than today, even moreso in the 60s, they just ran a lot, until the 90s happened and everyone slowed way down and we're just recovering like that, like when the pacers showed up this season and played at the highest pace in a long long time it would be a pretty mid pace team in the 80s.

60s basketball was like grinnell but without the 3s.

Yeah for sure but I was specially just eyeballing fg% to see if teams made a higher percentage of shots, since metapod said that’s what he wants (to see more shots go in, not shots with more value). Fg% was not higher in the 90s or 2000s but was higher in the 80s. I don’t think this is because of 3s

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

Any season’s top ten dunks highlight video is better than the same season’s top ten 3s highlight video.

Dunks are already more efficient than 3s. Every team tries to get as many dunks and layups as possible

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

make alley oops worth 3 points if the ball was alleyed from outside the 3 point line

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah for sure but I was specially just eyeballing fg% to see if teams made a higher percentage of shots, since metapod said that’s what he wants (to see more shots go in, not shots with more value). Fg% was not higher in the 90s or 2000s but was higher in the 80s. I don’t think this is because of 3s

I do not care about what occurred in the eras where players are worse I want the highly skilled players of now to play the game of basketball using all 3 levels and to stop seeing 25 ft chucks with 20 seconds on the shot clock. Watching a game where 2 teams go for 40 3s sucks just as much rear end as a game where teams are at the line all game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Daryll Morey is a basketball terrorist and I'm glad the sixers imploded under his watch for what he has done

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I really want a Sixers-Bucks matchup so bad, the idea of the Bucks being up 3-1 in the series and blowing it is too much to bear I need it so bad

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Metapod posted:

I do not care about what occurred in the eras where players are worse I want the highly skilled players of now to play the game of basketball using all 3 levels and to stop seeing 25 ft chucks with 20 seconds on the shot clock. Watching a game where 2 teams go for 40 3s sucks just as much rear end as a game where teams are at the line all game

The highly skilled players of today's game do in fact use all three levels, the role players just don't take poor shots any more.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
people been talking about adding a 4 point shot from longer distance, but they should make dunks worth 4 points instead

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The highly skilled players of today's game do in fact use all three levels, the role players just don't take poor shots any more.

No those poor shots are just further away

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Metapod can I interest you in a team called "the Los Angeles Lakers" they don't shoot very many three pointers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Metapod needs to become a Bulls fan imo.

DeMar Derozan

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

I'm a Twins fan. I had about all I could stand of that. When Morneau had his first 30 HR season, it was the first time a Twin had hit more than 30 in twenty years. We didn't even do it during the steroid era! Thirty isn't even that many! And let me tell you, those 90s/early-aughts offenses were NOT fun to watch work! Give me the 2019 Bomba Squad over the mid-aughts Piranhas any day.

Last year's rule changes did plenty to encourage more stolen bases. There was a good amount of it last year. I don't miss baseball teams wasting outs any more than I miss basketball teams running pick-and-pop 19-footers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cricket is better than baseball BUT basketball is better than handball.

I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Papercut posted:

Baseball turning into just strikeouts and home runs is like the purest distillation of what's boring about baseball, just a bunch of dudes standing around doing nothing

Yes.

Metapod posted:

Yes.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

It was extremely sick. But it was not a dunk.

nachos posted:

Listen it may not be a dunk but it’s definitely a slam and/or jam

if we made dunks worth more the refs could be on the headset with the review center earnestly having this discussion every night

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Metapod can I interest you in a team called "the Los Angeles Lakers" they don't shoot very many three pointers.

https://twitter.com/LakersLegacyPod/status/1773424141875695797

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bellmaker posted:

I really want a Sixers-Bucks matchup so bad, the idea of the Bucks being up 3-1 in the series and blowing it is too much to bear I need it so bad
true pervert, I like it