Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I want a mech that turns me into the player version of a Devastator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

this might be it, but one of the things I found was a crashed super earth spaceship thing and it wouldn't surprise me if that only spawned because of whatever modifier resulted in automaton ships flying around and a space battle happening in the skybox

The big ship crash site isn't new, but somewhat uncommon. I've only seen it a handful of times that I recall.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

if you mean these things they've apparently been in since release

This has always just looked like a super destroyer to me.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Mesadoram posted:

My favorite thing about the Qusar is if I miss, I just need to gently caress around for a few seconds till it is back. Is it going to replace my rampant EAT usage? Probably not, but it is a good alternative.

seems like it would be good for the maps that have the Ion storm that blocks stratagems, that would be pretty rough not being able to get any EATs down...

My current theory is that the automatons are going to cede their current sectors and loop Galactic North in the frontier and retake cyberstan from outside the "map"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FunkyFjord posted:

This has always just looked like a super destroyer to me.

there's actually two other versions and one of them does look a bit more like a super destroyer, but they're all relatively different.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

Maybe I missed Mech chat. What’s the general opinion on it? Waste of a slot?

I use it for bug elimination missions, especially with a lot cooldown effect

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I used to take the mech more, especially when nobody knew what the gently caress to do with Shriekers (mech is good against the nest and can mostly ignore them).

But when they fixed the blow yourself up with rockets bug they really hosed up the rocket aim. They also took away the mechs pitch axis. So now you can’t aim down at poo poo or blow up bug holes that aren’t level with you and it’s very frustrating. So I stopped taking it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yeah they broke the mech by "fixing" it. it was somewhat useful on bug missions before but now there are way better uses for that slot

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Mech is the HMG/LMGs cooler, more successful, older brother. It’s really good at team support - I have found it most effective when used to protect your squad and focus on priority medium/heavy targets vs. trying to frontline with it. It is still pretty good at frontlining when you have an extraction or primary objective that is turning into a poo poo show but it will blow through it’s ammo fast. The current aiming/rocket issues kind of suck but you can learn to work around them if inclined and it does feel like I die less to random rocket deaths after the “fixes.”

It only really feels usable against bugs and I think it would take some pretty serious armor upgrades to make any mech usable against bots, regardless of their weapon systems. A mech that gives up a lot of its offensive capabilities for more armor would be pretty sweet - ditto to the poster earlier who mentioned a shield deveststor mech. I hope some of the wheeled vehicles that have been teased/leaked end up having enough mobility or heavy armor to deal with bots - being able to out-track rockets in the buggy would be awesome.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

3 separate times I've received a bleed effect but without a visible chest wound on the UI, while wearing the armor that is supposed to make you immune to bleed, one time without even being hit.

I don't know why you in particular are cursed when playing this game :smith:.

Have a watch here regarding the democracy protects armor:

https://youtu.be/_xoBOfAgBmw?feature=shared

There are maps where you can pick up bleed effects without it being a chest hemorrhage (like on the creek).

The democracy protects ONLY protects you from bleeding IF you get the red chest wound. So it's not a bug, you gotta read the description of the armor.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 29, 2024

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I manged to get killed by thorns.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
those thorns do some real damage, it's bullshit

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I was standing around wondering what the heck was killing me, I wasn't injured? I died like an idiot because I was rolling around in barbed wire

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

How are people enjoying bots? I’m struggling.

My cadre of chums can do level 9 Bugs consistently without too many issues. We tried a level 5 Bots mission on Troost and it was just a deeply unfun experience. Chaff bots that you can barely discern but who fire rockets at you that ragdoll you if you survive at all, and Devastators nuking you with splash damage. Even when you’re trying to shoot them you’re getting winged, which throws your aiming off. God forbid you actually die and have to try and recover your shield (which seems essential).

I get that Bots needs a different mindset, but is Solid Snaking it around from cover to cover the only viable way?

We completed the mission but one of my friends ragequit before extraction, so missed out on the major order contribution I assume.

Felt like that closing scene in Platoon for pretty much the entire mission. Can’t see poo poo, rounds coming at you from 360 degrees, rocket bastards sprinkled around everywhere waiting to OHK you. At least with Bugs its only the big stuff that is really a threat (Hunter swarm notwithstanding), and they are slow and/or conspicuous.

Bots suck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Durzel posted:

Yeah pretty similar situation here with my group of friends. We've been bashing our heads against level 7 bots over the past few sessions because the major orders are all bot related. We've been usually finishing the mission but barely, and the entire time is spent on the run while chaining reinforcements and we end with like 0 stars or 1 star at most. Last night we decided to switch over to bugs as a palate cleanser and the first attempt at bugs on diff 7 and it was like night and day, like it's kind of unreal how lopsided bugs and bots feel on the same difficulty setting. We had the freedom to go around and do objectives freely against the bugs but bots are like we have to do the objectives only and gently caress you if you want to go do anything else.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Honestly, the maps people are fighting bots on just kind of suck poo poo. Not being able to see more than 5 feet infront of you is an awful feeling against a mostly ranged faction (that have no issues seeing through the fog).

Other than that, I don't mind bots. They don't feel as oppressive as constant stalker and charger swarms. Just got to prioritize the rocket troopers and flare bots.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
It’s really hilarious watching people moan about the automatons.

I stood in the open long enough for a rocket guy to see me, take aim, and shoot, nerf rockets (this entire sequence takes a while)

Robots can shoot me as long as they can see me, nerf shooting (cover and concealment too difficult)

My weapons don’t kill the hardest enemies in the game in one shot they are all GARBAGE.

I don’t have enough ammo to stand and hold my ground against endless respawns they need to buff all the primary weapons too.

Mechs aren’t unstoppable death machines they require infantry support like real armor, why so weak?

I hope the devs don’t budge an inch on any of it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I mean, what are you guys using against bots, where are you dying, are you running, etc.

Don't really have any details.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Durzel posted:

My cadre of chums can do level 9 Bugs consistently without too many issues. We tried a level 5 Bots mission on Troost and it was just a deeply unfun experience. Chaff bots that you can barely discern but who fire rockets at you that ragdoll you if you survive at all, and Devastators nuking you with splash damage. Even when you’re trying to shoot them you’re getting winged, which throws your aiming off. God forbid you actually die and have to try and recover your shield (which seems essential).

I get that Bots needs a different mindset, but is Solid Snaking it around from cover to cover the only viable way?

We completed the mission but one of my friends ragequit before extraction, so missed out on the major order contribution I assume.

Felt like that closing scene in Platoon for pretty much the entire mission. Can’t see poo poo, rounds coming at you from 360 degrees, rocket bastards sprinkled around everywhere waiting to OHK you. At least with Bugs its only the big stuff that is really a threat (Hunter swarm notwithstanding), and they are slow and/or conspicuous.

Bots suck.

You don't necessarily have to go full solid snake, but you really do need to take cover. Or use deployable/personal shields to bring your own. Once I get the personal shield unlocked, I may don a Democracy Protects armor with a personal shield to see how much I can mitigate some of the bots OHKO threats with that. Otherwise, light medic armor has been my goto for general purposes, the extra stim regen time is incredibly good for surviving tight spots.

The visibility did kinda suck on Troost, but laserdog/ac turrets helped a lot with mitigating that. Letting minions do the seeing for me while EATing the odd dropship made things pretty chill.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Durzel posted:

Bots suck.

It's just a learning curve since they fight so differently vs bugs. To me the biggest thing is being able to consistently deal with huge clumps of bots from medium-to-long range. For that reason a lot of people love the autocannon; it not only splashes damage it also causes the entire group to flinch, including rocket devastators. As long as you are careful about taking return fire (and/or just wear either of the heavy armor) you should be able to trade shots against clumps of bots efficiently. I also like the 500kg for the same reasons, plus it can take out turrets and tanks pretty easily.

I would also say your group needs to get comfortable with spreading out and acting more independently, as many of the most dangerous bots (Walkers, Hulks, Tanks and Turrets) all have weakpoints on their flank.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I wish they laser dog flew slight higher. Can't tell you how many times it accidently melted my head off :smith:.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you don't fight bots often DO NOT GO RIGHT ON OVER AT THE SAME DIFFICULTY YOU STOMP BUGS AT!!!!!!!

Yea ok so what your hot poo poo at killing rank 7-9 bugs, bots are very different. its like a whole new set of habits as a player to do well. Start at low difficulty and work your way up.

I used to hate bots too but after starting back at rank 5 for a while and slowly going back up its now a ton of fun. use personal shields, use the deploy-able shield bubble

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I think the fact that the armor fix also gave enemies the ability to crit you when they hit your head made fighting bots a little less fun, since it often won't matter what armor you are wearing except for anything with Democracy Protects because a rocket/hulk blast to the head is always a OHKO.

That being said, fighting bots does require a different mindset and the problem is that a lot of pubbie teams like to slam their privates into a wall when they encounter enemies. No joke, I've seen pubbie teams plow through 10+ reinforcement tokens in one engagement because they refused to back down and go for the objectives when they took too long to kill a bot outpost and it started dumping dropships full of mean rear end motherfuckers all around them. Bugs are fast, bots are slow as gently caress - you can retreat and take objectives, or hell you can even go around them if you're clever enough. If you're super-spicy, you can even figure out how to take 'quick' objectives without even firing a shot.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
my experience with transitioning to the bots is also way more things that make Strategems less effective. From doubling deploy times, which means it's a lot harder to land an eagle strike, to dropping a slot, to landing right next to the stratagem blocker

I was pretty consistent on lvl 7 for bugs, have spent most of my time on lvl 6 for bots

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've only done bots through level 6 so far, and I'm way behind on unlocking stuff compared to most (I'm not even high enough rank for the personal shield yet), but I've found the biggest aide for me staying alive is just never staying put for very long, running serpentine, and diving from cover to cover. The bots don't seem to be the greatest shots and a lot of them have noticeable commitment lag to attacking (if you can see them, at least). Just gotta make sure my weapons have enough penetration for what I'm trying to shoot so I'm not plinking a tank's front in desperation :v:

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I cant even play today... I'm getting disconnected every 5 minutes. This game is terrible about handling packet loss.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So far my biggest problem with bots is that I get quick-play deployed into teams that do the objective, then blow their entire reinforcement budget fighting some irrelevant secondary. I keep getting these missions that go completely to poo poo after the objective is done.

I still need rare samples more than I need to hit the resource cap waiting for new unlocks, so it's just annoying when you can't convince a team to stop fighting over a random crater because they refuse to decline an engagement or disengage. Like, we'll probably wait 4 minutes for the shuttle, have your pitched battle there, please.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Durzel posted:

Best advice I can give is fight one at a time. Use hard cover to block the LOS of all but one and just slice the pie and work your way along right to left.
And then use that hard cover to baffle an escape if they push up on you and find a new place to fight from.

Bugs, the best position tends to be atop a hill with long sight lines in as many directions as possible. That same position is probably the most lethal way to engage bots.

quote:

Bots suck.
Undeniably true though, bloomin antidemocratic automatons.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Hot take, I find bots are easier than bugs because the Autocannon destroys literally every type of bot with ease (aside from Berserkers). The standard units and striders die in one shot, non-shield devastators die in two, hulks die in two to their front weakpoint, shield devastators take three at most (one shot will knock the shield aside), tank vents (and the cannon towers) die in three, and all the units get stunned by the shot long enough to get another round in. Wear the +explosion resist armor and target Missile Devastators first and you're pretty much fine. In addition, I find it a lot easier to handle a bot drop via EAT/Quasar/RR than have to try to deal with bug spawns, and the autocannon can close bot fabricators from halfway across the map. Finally, it's dead easy to escape from bots because they move slow as hell so as long as you aren't on a totally flat map you can ditch them super easily.

Just having 2+ autocannons on bots makes it a pretty smooth ride

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 29, 2024

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Cage Kicker posted:

It’s really hilarious watching people moan about the automatons.

I stood in the open long enough for a rocket guy to see me, take aim, and shoot, nerf rockets (this entire sequence takes a while)

Robots can shoot me as long as they can see me, nerf shooting (cover and concealment too difficult)

My weapons don’t kill the hardest enemies in the game in one shot they are all GARBAGE.

I don’t have enough ammo to stand and hold my ground against endless respawns they need to buff all the primary weapons too.

Mechs aren’t unstoppable death machines they require infantry support like real armor, why so weak?

I hope the devs don’t budge an inch on any of it.

I was getting rocket sniped through rocks I was laying down behind. If it phases through cover it's bullshit.

Yeah, you have to treat bots differently but sometimes you just die in it to the game breaking and then it feels like bullshit.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Durzel posted:

Bots suck.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Here's a list of things I have personally used to good effect on bots:

• EATS (Kills everything, notably drop ship engines)
  • Laser cannon (Quickly melts all heads and heatsinks, strider crotches, hulk limbs at ridiculous range. Really slept on, it's good.)
  • Grenade Launcher (Pair with ammo backpack + medic armor, spam 40mm FREEDOM at everything < hulk. Ammo backpack also refills stims, so quickly dispensing freedom also rewards you with drugs. )
  • Defender (shoot trash in heads)
  • Autocannon (Aim like laser cannon, more instant damage, but I prefer having a backpack)
  • AC turret (my preferred flavor of Autocannon, wrecks everything. Just don't stand in the way)
  • Laser dog (Handles trash, also points you to anything nearby)
  • Eagle Rockets (Really good on factories, giant turrets, tanks, and hulks)
  • Eagle bombs (Good on everything)
  • EMS mortar (Ultimate crowd control)
  • Precision Strike (Good on everything)
  • Medic armor. I will never stop singing the praises of stim boosts. Every injury is an opportunity for four glorious seconds of health regen and infinite stamina. Stub your toe when you get tired and take a hit: freedom demands it.
  • Personal shield (I don't have it yet, but it saved a lot of teammates from me, therefore it must be good VS bots)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Durzel posted:

I find 9 bugs often annoying so I do them on 7-meanwhile bots I have a fine time with on 9.
It's mostly a matter of both learning their weaknesses, and paying attention to line of sight/exposed angles at all times. Going fast and running away when needed helps a lot, too, but that's true for bugs as well.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I've been able to consistently make it through level 7 bots and bugs through quickplay, with 8s and 9s being kind of a clusterfuck depending on your pubbies. I feel like a lot of the difficulty associated with bots is related more to the planets and negative modifiers. Slogging through snow while being shot at or run down by berserkers is a nightmare. Being tagged by rockets through the fog. All this with your stratagems being neutered.

All in a days work, I guess.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Here's a list of things I have personally used to good effect on bots:

• EATS (Kills everything, notably drop ship engines)
  • Laser cannon (Quickly melts all heads and heatsinks, strider crotches, hulk limbs at ridiculous range. Really slept on, it's good.)
  • Grenade Launcher (Pair with ammo backpack + medic armor, spam 40mm FREEDOM at everything < hulk. Ammo backpack also refills stims, so quickly dispensing freedom also rewards you with drugs. )
  • Defender (shoot trash in heads)
  • Autocannon (Aim like laser cannon, more instant damage, but I prefer having a backpack)
  • AC turret (my preferred flavor of Autocannon, wrecks everything. Just don't stand in the way)
  • Laser dog (Handles trash, also points you to anything nearby)
  • Eagle Rockets (Really good on factories, giant turrets, tanks, and hulks)
  • Eagle bombs (Good on everything)
  • EMS mortar (Ultimate crowd control)
  • Precision Strike (Good on everything)
  • Medic armor. I will never stop singing the praises of stim boosts. Every injury is an opportunity for four glorious seconds of health regen and infinite stamina. Stub your toe when you get tired and take a hit: freedom demands it.
  • Personal shield (I don't have it yet, but it saved a lot of teammates from me, therefore it must be good VS bots)

If you haven't tried it yet give the Orbital Walking Barrage a try. You can aim it at a big base and let it walk across from very far away. It's like an Eagle Airstrike but the line is turned 90 degrees and it's huge.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Durzel posted:

Bots suck.

I'm level 18. I've been doing bot 6 missions with 2-3 of us with the other players being sub level 10 and bad at shooters. I wear scout armor, emp grenade, sickle, and the quasar. That's all I need. Admittedly that's not 7, but we suck rear end at the game and I'm finding bots easier than bugs.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bots are way more fun for me and my regular team. We aren't super sweats, but we can three man 7s without a ton of trouble.

Mainly you have to use cover, keep moving, and communicate. Call out the big threats to focus them down. Explosive resist armor helps a good bit too.

One of my favorite things to do as an Autocannon disciple is to snipe the reinforcements out of drop ships. Everything is packed in so tight a direct hit on something will often kill every small bot in the ship. I love seeing dismembered bot bits rain down from drop ships.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The people who say just rush objectives must be only playing in bugs. Like how are you suppose to just cosplay as Sonic and rush objectives when you are getting shot from every direction.

This is why bots are vastly superior for me because you get teammates who get forced to fight instead of doing their pacifist run.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The fastest objective rush I've ever done was on a bot 7 Command Center mission, where the objective was literally right next to the extract so we dropped right on the objective, dropped 500kg, ended up dying pretty much immediately, respawned and just dropped right on the extract to call it in with 39:01 still on the clock (we probably could have looked around for stuff but decided to full commit for the meme). :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Piell posted:

Hot take, I find bots are easier than bugs because the Autocannon destroys literally every type of bot with ease (aside from Berserkers). The standard units and striders die in one shot, non-shield devastators die in two, hulks die in two to their front weakpoint, shield devastators take three at most (one shot will knock the shield aside), tank vents (and the cannon towers) die in three, and all the units get stunned by the shot long enough to get another round in. Wear the +explosion resist armor and target Missile Devastators first and you're pretty much fine. In addition, I find it a lot easier to handle a bot drop via EAT/Quasar/RR than have to try to deal with bug spawns, and the autocannon can close bot fabricators from halfway across the map. Finally, it's dead easy to escape from bots because they move slow as hell so as long as you aren't on a totally flat map you can ditch them super easily.

Just having 2+ autocannons on bots makes it a pretty smooth ride

Likewise even though it doesn't seem to be popular here the Plasma Punisher puts in good work vs bots. One direct hit kills walkers and all the little bots and it stuns devastators and berzerkers and kills them in 2 or 3 while doing some AOE damage which works well against piles of berzerkers.

ARC is good against bots as well, but I seem to have a lot more problems dispensing unintended freedom against friendlies in bot games for some reason.

I really like the Quasar vs bots mainly for always having a shot to take down a dropship. I think it's FPS sight sucks out loud though. It's busy and loud and bright enough most of the time I Can't really see anything through it, especially at range.

EDIT: I also until a day or so again also hated bots. 7 seems easier than 5 or 6 for some reason on bots. The main issue for me is that a lot of the bots visibility has things shooting at me I can't even physically see to shoot back at, or even know they are about to shoot me in the first place. Bots are always shield and always anti explosive armor for me. Always. Saves a whole lot of deaths to be able to survive surprise missiles, even when a shield is down.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 29, 2024