Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Generally people don't care if they're being called a catch when their personal poo poo has been shared with people who start sexually harassing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018

idiotsavant posted:

Idk I mean the handsy stuff is not great but him throwing a giant pouty fit to the point of breaking up over her reading his love letters to her good friends (and them being like “drat, what a catch” lol) is a big ol bitch baby move

No actually I think sharing your partners private messages and then standing there laughing while your friends (and sibling!!) grope them with the excuse of being turned on by the messages pretty effectively kills most relationships

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Crocobile posted:

Lmao that “taking the next step” is proposing, not like… kissing or cuddling at least.

This reminds me of how my sister's now ex-husband started the courtship with her. She found out he liked her so she asked if he wanted to go out. Then he asked if he could travel to the neighbouring state to visit my parents to ask if he could date her. They were in their 30s and she was already divorced at that point, but they met at some Bible college so he really wanted to be sure the relationship "honored the Lord". My parents thought it was loving weird, and they're the ones who raised us in Christian cuckooo land. Anyway, spoilers, they got married and then divorced after about 8 years.

mystes
May 31, 2006

greazeball posted:

This reminds me of how my sister's now ex-husband started the courtship with her. She found out he liked her so she asked if he wanted to go out. Then he asked if he could travel to the neighbouring state to visit my parents to ask if he could date her. They were in their 30s and she was already divorced at that point, but they met at some Bible college so he really wanted to be sure the relationship "honored the Lord". My parents thought it was loving weird, and they're the ones who raised us in Christian cuckooo land. Anyway, spoilers, they got married and then divorced after about 8 years.
Being very religious would probably be the least weird explanation but OP said in a comment that he isn't

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

littleratbastard posted:

No actually I think sharing your partners private messages and then standing there laughing while your friends (and sibling!!) grope them with the excuse of being turned on by the messages pretty effectively kills most relationships

Yeah, I'm glad I refreshed the page so I didn't have to bother writing the exact same thing. I'd be weirded out forever by the sister, even without getting to the invasion of privacy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I showed the boys my girlfriends nudes, it got them all horney and the tried to grope her saying they didn't know she was so amazingly hot. I also told them in detail how great she is at loving. Once these nudes are sent to me, they're mine to share with who I want, how can I get my girlfriend to be less of a privacy obsessed controlling pouty baby?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA For leaving for the weekend after my wife agreed to host Easer at our house without consulting me

quote:

My wife (38F) and I (39M) have been married for 12 years and have 3 kids (11, 8, & 6). We live reasonably close to family on both our sides. Our house isn't huge by any means, but it's big enough for our family. However, no one else on my wife's side of the family lives in a house. Her siblings all either rent homes with roommates or live in apartments. Her parents downsized into a smaller townhome about 5 years ago.

As a result, any time her family wants to get together for a holiday or special occasion, we are the ones who end up hosting. It's not even a discussion with her family anymore, everyone just assumes that we are going to be the ones who host.

We at least rotate major holidays between my family and hers, but my siblings and parents can also host gatherings so hosting duties are spread out amongst all of us. But every Thanksgiving, Xmas, 4th of July, Easter, etc that we spend with her family, we host. And her family are not the best guests. They will bring food if we ask, but any time there is cleanup or other help, they are nowhere to be found. I have expressed my dislike of this "arrangement" to my wife numerous times. She has insisted that I not say anything to her family about it and to let her handle it. However, nothing has ever changed.

We hosted Xmas for her family this year and it sucked. People showed up late, "forgot" the food they were supposed to bring, no one helped with cleaning, people let their kids make messes etc. Same old story as every other time. After that I told my wife I was done. I told her I don't want to host her family until someone else on her family steps up and hosts something or we book some other venue and all chip in to pay for it. She promised to talk to her family about it and figure something out for next holiday.

For Easter this year we were supposed to just have it be our family, no extended family. But a couple weeks ago my wife met up with her mom and sister for lunch. When she got home she informed me that she talked to them about how hard hosting Xmas was. She said her mom and sister agreed that they would do better and offered to prove it to us on Easter and my wife agreed. We got into a huge fight over it.

I told my wife that she is on her own for this one. I told her I would be spending the entirety of Easter weekend with my family and I'll take any kids with me that want to come. But I am not going to be helping with any of the hosting duties whatsoever.

She thinks I am overreacting and that I need to give her family this final chance because her mom and sister seemed really sincere during their talk. I told her I don't care what they say, I'm not going to be involved at all because I won't be able to hold my tongue this time and I don't want it to come to that.

She is not happy with me at all but I don't really care. To top it off, all 3 of our kids want to come spend the weekend with me instead of staying home.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for calling my sister a jealous hag because she got judgy over my husband making me an Easter basket?

quote:

My husband and I do Easter baskets for one another, and this year he gave me mine early since I’ll be gone. In the basket was the usual, dark choco bunny, Starburst jelly beans, and then some Swiftie stuff from Etsy, a fidget toy, and really surprisingly he got me three full bottles of perfumes that were on my wish list. Hundred Silent Ways, Bianco Latte, and Oriana. I was shocked bc that’s a BIG spend. I was over the moon and took a pic and posted it to Insta stories.

The next day, my sister came over. I’d left my basket on the table and she poked over it and took some jelly beans and then made a comment asking me if my husband had stepped out on me or something and was trying to make it up to me.

I was like… no? Of course not. Why would she say that?

She asked why he’d go “all out” like this then, and how it must be nice to have all this extra money to spend when everyone around us is struggling. Oh it must be nice to have such a picture perfect marriage.

I was really taken aback and asked her what her issue is.

She was like “most women I know can’t even get their husbands to fill a Christmas stocking for them and you’re out here bragging on yours and shoving it in everyone’s faces.” She said she was lucky if she got a card for her birthday.

I told her to stop blaming me because SHE chose to marry a thoughtless man. That she had the CHOICE to marry someone who did nice things for her, and she CHOSE to marry a man who doesn’t help around the house, buy her flowers, etc. And to not be a pissy, jealous hag because she chose to settle for less.

This set her off and she started arguing with me more, telling me that I’m hosed up for calling her a jealous hag when there’s nothing to be jealous of, more like embarrassed that it’s 2024 and I’m acting like life is a romcom, that the fact that I even listen to Taylor Swift is proof that I need to grow up. I told her to just get out and doubled down on her being a pissy, jealous hag.

Now that I'm on the other side of the country for work, I feel like maybe I was over the top in calling her a jealous hag. “You’re just jealous” is the most annoying comeback in the world and I used it on my own sister. She also typically texts me throughout her day and she hasn’t sent me anything since then, which means she is definitely still pissed. AITA?

My "Not a jealous hag" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds like that sister's in a sucky situation lolol

What does it being 2024 have to do with acting like life is a rom-com? What year is her husband going to stop being generous and thoughtful with his gifts?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA For leaving for the weekend after my wife agreed to host Easer at our house without consulting me

christ just get divorced already

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

To be fair, the sister is a jealous hag.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You be the judge: should my girlfriend preheat the oven before cooking?

The prosecution: Adam posted:

My girlfriend Cathleen doesn’t preheat the oven to the required temperature when she cooks, which I find unbelievable. Delia Smith tells you to do it; all the top chefs do. It’s normal and necessary. If you stick something in the oven without waiting for it to preheat, its temperature will vary and your food won’t cook evenly. That results in a less satisfying eating experience, and often the food has to stay longer in the oven to compensate.

“Preheat-gate” first came up six years ago, when I visited Cathleen at university just after we got together. We were cooking a pizza and she tried to whack it straight in the oven before it had heated up. I just couldn’t believe it. It tells you to preheat the oven on the packet, so why wouldn’t you do that? I genuinely don’t get it – you should follow the instructions to a tee.

I preheat the oven for everything. Say you’re cooking chicken, for example: if you put it into a cold oven that gradually heats up, the meat will cook unevenly.

I’m also worried about food poisoning. It’s safer to cook in a preheated oven, although Cathleen disagrees with me. I also believe that if you preheat things, you’re less likely to burn or undercook your food. If it says “preheat the oven then whack it in for 25 minutes”, that’s what I do. Then I know that everything will cook exactly the way it’s supposed to.

I don’t have to keep checking on my food, unlike Cathleen, who just throws nuggets into a cold oven without reading the instructions, and hopes for the best. I’m the type of person who also turns their food in the air-fryer, which Cathleen does not do. She says I’m “over the top”, but I just like making sure everything is evenly cooked and crispy on both sides. I like to maximise flavour. What’s wrong with that?

I’ve become more relaxed in the kitchen over the years, as Cathleen is so chill it’s rubbed off on me. But if we’re cooking together I still preheat the oven. Cathleen has burnt food before, which I’ve never done. If she preheated, it wouldn’t happen. Preheating keeps you in control.

The defence: Cathleen posted:

Adam’s argument makes me laugh. I’ve never heard anyone speak so passionately about preheating an oven, but it doesn’t make any difference in my opinion. Has anyone ever eaten something and then complained because it came out of an oven that hadn’t been preheated?

The answer is almost definitely no. I don’t think you’re at risk of food poisoning, or eating something that is undercooked, as long as you time it properly. I fundamentally believe that not preheating makes no difference to the end product. And surely the food takes the same amount of time to cook whether you preheat it or not. I just like to whack it all in and forget about it for 30 minutes. Adam would rather read the instructions, preheat to the given temperature, then get up again to put the food in. That’s too much work.

Growing up, I think my family preheated the oven, but I’ve never bothered. I am known for burning food though. I had a flatmate at uni who I never saw and who never left his room, but would text me to say “your pizza is burning”. I don’t think it had anything to do with not preheating the oven – I just wouldn’t get to it in time, even though I’d set the timer on my phone. Maybe I’m just lazy.

Adam is really organised and meticulous in general, whereas I’m not. He follows the instructions for everything , I don’t. The first time he told me off for not preheating the oven, I was baffled. I said: “Who actually does that?”

But then he was baffled too, and said “What do you mean, you don’t preheat the oven?” But I can’t be arsed to stand up and walk back to put something in the oven after I’ve already turned it on and sat down. I’d rather just leave it in for a bit longer.

It’s exactly the same difference. We’ve done a taste test on a preheated pizza and a non-preheated pizza and I can’t taste any difference. I don’t think Adam can either, but he said the edges are too crispy in the non-preheated one. He’s exaggerating.

:laffo: at going with the "it's too much work" strategy for turning a dial ten minutes before the food goes in, vs putting it in cold and adding an unknown amount of extra cooking time that you have to worry about on the back end. And yeah, it's probably a bit less of a difference if you're just throwing in some nuggies or a frozen pizza compared to real food, but c'mon. I'm gonna lump "it's easier and nobody can tell the difference, anyway" into the same argument category as "I don't need to shower regularly, I don't smell" unless I get a whole lot more evidence supporting it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"We did a taste test, and it was just fine, because his opinion doesn't count."

She obviously doesn't bake, because putting sweets into a cold oven leads nowhere good.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do not personally think that food is going to get much more food poisonous if you don’t preheat but it sounds like the lady is a poo poo cook and burns her food a lot

Like, the time to preheat should not be the difference between food poisoning and dysentery vs a normal food experience, an extra five minutes sitting in the oven before going up to 350 or 400 or whatever

If your food is so bacterially contaminated that it spends five minutes in the danger zone as the oven heats up and becomes the dog monster from the thing, you should stop buying food from bacteria pete’s typhoid food library

And it doesn’t sound like she bakes at all, no

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

:laffo: at going with the "it's too much work" strategy for turning a dial ten minutes before the food goes in, vs putting it in cold and adding an unknown amount of extra cooking time that you have to worry about on the back end. And yeah, it's probably a bit less of a difference if you're just throwing in some nuggies or a frozen pizza compared to real food, but c'mon. I'm gonna lump "it's easier and nobody can tell the difference, anyway" into the same argument category as "I don't need to shower regularly, I don't smell" unless I get a whole lot more evidence supporting it.

Please quarantine the british isles

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"We did a taste test, and it was just fine, because his opinion doesn't count."

She obviously doesn't bake, because putting sweets into a cold oven leads nowhere good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcsWFi1c9V0

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It would probably blow her loving mind to learn that there are some foods where it is recommended to heat up the pan in the oven before even placing the item on the pan.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My oven takes like ten minutes to get up to 450F. If I put a pizza in immediately, it's going to spend that ten minutes gradually heating up as opposed to baking in a hot-rear end oven. That's most of the bake time! How could that possibly NOT affect the outcome?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ESH for “whack it in”

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

My oven takes like ten minutes to get up to 450F. If I put a pizza in immediately, it's going to spend that ten minutes gradually heating up as opposed to baking in a hot-rear end oven. That's most of the bake time! How could that possibly NOT affect the outcome?

quote:

I just like to whack it all in and forget about it for 30 minutes.

Because rather than preheating and baking for 15 she just puts it in for 30 doubling the 'bake' time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pleads posted:

ESH for “whack it in”

Whack it in for half an hour, and bing bang boom. Donezerino!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Some fierce spine here:

My bf and i were supposed to move in together. 2 weeks ago, he bought a 87k truck without telling me. I refuse to move in with him.

Im very annoyed. He didnt even speak to me about it. We had so many discussions about moving in together, getting married and then he goes and purchases a truck 2k more than his yearly salary. If youre asking how can a truck be 87k, thats the price you get when you put every addition you want on it. He showed me the truck expecting me to be excited and i was livid. When he bought this truck, we were only a month from moving in together. We got into a bad argument where he told me it was his money and he could do whatever he wanted with it.

So i said fine and i told him im not comfortable moving in with him anymore. I asked my landlord if my apartment was still avaliable and if i could renew my lease and they said yes. Now my bf is saying he cant afford his place and his truck. I dont feel bad. You should have thought of that before buying something so expensive without talking to your gf of 2 years.

I have had some of his friends' gf reach out to me and say i should support him and one even say that im not loyal and this shows i wouldnt support him if we were married since i run away when finances get bad. Thats bullshit. He didnt lose his job or get hurt. He bought an expensive item without discussing it. I have been trying to get him to return the truck because its already affecting his finances badly. He has only had this truck for 2 weeks and he is worried that in the next month or two, he wont be able to cover all the expenses he usually has.

This past weekend, we had another argument and i think our relationship is going to end. Im not helping him pay for this truck and im not moving in with him. I have asked for a break and will be thinking about what to do.

Edit: i appreciate the different opinions everyone has given me. I have alot to think about. To answer two questions, no he doesnt need the truck. He works from home and if he has to check in at work, he has an office. Also, his friends and their girlfriends know about this issue because he asked for their views when we went to a get together last week. Only 2 gfs reached out to me to tell me i wasnt being supportive. The others have minded their business.

Update: I broke up with my ex that got the 87k truck which i found out was actually 95k.
Yea, so i broke up with him mainly because i realized we arent financially compatible. Before i go into what happened, i do want to say something. I understand we werent married but we were both moving together into a new place and had several discussions about this move and our plans for the future, including marriage. For the people private messaging me saying its his money and he can do whatever he wants or, youre only two years into a relationship, youre not a wife. I know that and i have never asked what is in his bank account or told him what to do financially. I'm aware it is his money but i also know his financial situation and he was making decisions without my input that, if we were to stay together, would not only affect him but also our relationship and our financial situation for years to come. I will die on this hill: this is not ok and if it's ok for you, that's fine but for me, if we make a financial plan and you make a huge decision without me, i wont be ok with it and that's a big reason why i backed out of moving into a new apartment with him. I would have never made a decision like this without his input at all.

The main reason why we decided to move in together was to take the next step in our relationship but also to pay down our debts. I now have 22k debt from student loans and a car. When i met him though it was around 60k and i was bascially living on credit cards. Within the first couple of months of us dating, i saw how hard he worked and with a salary at 85k, he was making huge process in paying off his loans and credit cards.

On my end, at the time, I was only making 50k. I honestly saw his work ethic and was like wow and got serious about my debt. I got a second parttime job where i was making 32k a year, bringing my salary to 82k. I did that so that i could pay off my debts faster but also so that we could be on equal footing when we moved in together and he didnt have to pay significantly more in living expenses than me when he had more debt. We did a complete budget months before we moved in together and realized that we would each have 700 dollars extra a month to put towards our own individual budgets.

This is why the purchase of this truck was so surprising to me. We had planned this move for months. We had a budget and he destroyed that plan with the truck. If he wanted a new car, there are plenty of cars he could have gotten that would have fit into the 700 monthly surplus he had. Anyway for the past few days before we broke up, he tried to show me that this truck was a good financial purchase and we could still move in together. He told me that he had actually budgeted for this and could show me how he could afford this. I wanted to hear him out so i went to his place and he had 2 budgets.

He said he had been thinking of getting this truck for some time and he had worked out a budget beforehand. He showed me the first budget and after his truck, insurance, expenses, and his debts he was left with 115 dollars for the month. I noticed with the first budget, he didnt include groceries, his hobbies, going out or even gas for his car. I asked him how 115 dollars was enough to live off of for an entire month? I asked him how he could afford all of this and his truck and if he planned to give up some things. He said no he didnt plan to give up anything and that he could make everything work in his budget. I asked him what if he had an emergency or needed gas for his truck and he just kept saying he would work it out without explaining how.

After i saw the first budget, i asked to see the documents for the car and thats how i found out the truck price was 95k total after taxes, registration and fees. He traded in his reliable 2003 toyota and all his savings to get a loan at 14 percent for 72 months. His monthly payment is now 1966 and insurance is 573. He also still has student loans which are significant. I kept telling him 115 dollars left over monthly wasnt enough.

That's when he showed me his second budget which had a combined higher monthly income. I asked him if he was getting a second job and he said due to his job relying on him to be on call, he couldnt. I asked where the income was coming from and this man said, well you're getting a raise soon. I froze because i had mentioned this raise once months ago. My first job is my career job and i work in a field where when you hit certain milestones, you get a pay bump. In september, if my raise is approved, i will go from 50k to 80k, and with my second job, my total yearly income will be 112k. But getting the raise isnt a guarantee. You have to meet certain criteria and if you dont, you have to wait 3 months before trying again.

When he said that, i was quiet and then I said: so you planned a budget that included additional income that i wouldnt get for at least 6 months and income that i might not even get in september. He said when i got my raise, the ratio of what he would pay would decrease and he would have more disposable income. I asked him why it was ok for him to plan budgets with my income but yet i had no say in how he spent his. He couldnt answer that. I told him i had no issue with paying more bills if i got a raise but the fact that he banked on that, didnt discuss it, and now expects me to be ok with this is ridiculous. I also said theres no way i wouldnt be paying more with the first budget because he wouldnt have been able to survive on 115 dollars. I told him he didnt communicate and this is on him because he made huge financial plans without discussing anything. Finally i told him i would never have done any of this without going to him first because i thought we were a team that was building something.

I ended things the next day and he has been trying to reach out but im not interested. He has financially crippled himself with this truck. If with my income now, he could barely make it, he sure isnt making it on his own. I really hope that things work out for him and he is able to keep his truck and recover but im not paying the consequences for such a massive financial mistake that is going to hugely affect him for years to come. If i were to stay, this financial decision affects me as well and would continue to affect both of us for years. Again this is different from becoming ill or losing a job. He chose this and refuses to budge and fix it. I now realize we are not financially compatible and thats ok and i wish him the best.

Edit: Thanks everyone for all the support. I dont hate my ex and i really hope hes able to recover from this. It was such a learning lesson for me in how one mistake can ruin you financially. It has made me even more cautious but also determined to keep working towards a better financial future for myself.

Reply: To answer your question about why i'm not bad mouthing him, its because i'm sad. I'm sad about what he did to himself and that i had to leave because he isnt seeing how bad this is is. Im sad that just a few months ago, i was planning us living together and a life and now thats gone. Most of all, im sad for him. He was doing so well and he rubbed off on me immensely in terms of paying off debt and watching your spending. Im sad that he threw away all his hard work. Dumping on him even more isnt worth it because when he realizes this mistake, it will be so bad for him. I dont see a point to do it but im not judging anyone who would in these circumstances.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Unlike defrosting stuff at room temperature, there's no way it's going to be in the danger zone long enough to be problematic as a result of not preheating the oven, so it's not worth getting in a fight over. It will just make the cooking process/time less consistent or repeatable.

It's like putting pasta in a pot before the water is boiling. It doesn't ruin the pasta or something and it may save a small amount of total cooking time but in exchange for that you lose the ability to just set a timer based on the packaging. It's up to you whether that's worth it or not, and if your partner chooses to do that, it's not really your problem as long as they are monitoring the food to make sure they are are taking it out at the right time.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 29, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Unlike defrosting stuff at room temperature, there's no way it's going to be in the danger zone long enough to be problematic as a result of not preheating the oven, so it's not worth getting in a fight over. It will just make the cooking process/time less consistent or repeatable.

It's like putting pasta in a pot before the water is boiling. It doesn't ruin the pasta or something and it may save a small amount of total cooking time but in exchange for that you lose the ability to just set a timer based on the packaging. It's up to you whether that's worth it or not, and if your partner chooses to do that, it's not really your problem as long as they are monitoring the food to make sure they are are taking it out at the right time.

Oh no me peas are extra mushy

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mystes posted:

I think his point was "The directions say preheat oven to 450F put frozen chicken in for 50 minutes, she puts the chicken in the cold oven for 60 minutes" What's the temperature of the chicken when it's done? She says she's not checking it so who knows!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

I think his point was "The directions say preheat oven to 450F put frozen chicken in for 50 minutes, she puts the chicken in the cold oven for 60 minutes" What's the temperature of the chicken when it's done? She says she's not checking it so who knows!
If the oven takes 10 or less minutes to heat up, then it's going to be at least as done after cooking it for 60 minutes from cold as it would be after cooking it for 50 minutes preheated. It might be overcooked, but really ovens have enough variation that she should be confirming in some manner that it's done either way, and if she can't/won't do that then that's not ideal regardless of the oven preheating thing

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

idiotsavant posted:

Idk I mean the handsy stuff is not great but him throwing a giant pouty fit to the point of breaking up over her reading his love letters to her good friends (and them being like “drat, what a catch” lol) is a big ol bitch baby move

Let me guess, you believe the stereotype that all men want sex 24/7 & should feel grateful/blessed/flattered that they're being groped or made uncomfortable. Stop being part of the problem.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mystes posted:

If the oven takes 10 or less minutes to heat up, then it's going to be at least as done after cooking it for 60 minutes from cold as it would be after cooking it for 50 minutes preheated. It might be overcooked, but really ovens have enough variation that she should be confirming in some manner that it's done either way, and if she can't/won't do that then that's not ideal regardless of the oven preheating thing

yep. But at 450 it may take 20-25 minutes depending on the oven. That's why I picked a high temperature.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Some fierce spine here:

My bf and i were supposed to move in together. 2 weeks ago, he bought a 87k truck without telling me. I refuse to move in with him.

Update: I broke up with my ex that got the 87k truck which i found out was actually 95k.

The rear end in a top hat took out a loving home loan for a goddamn truck. I hope for his sake it's a sleeper cab.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Lmao his monthly on the truck is as much as a house payment

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

House probably has better fuel economy, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

idiotsavant posted:

Everyone's making GBS threads on you for this nuclear bad take, and I want to join in before it becomes passe, you big ol' baby bitch.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

titty_baby_ posted:

Yeah, just his truck payment is more than my monthly mortgage + house insurance + property taxes. Guy was an idiot, probably doing some dickwaving contest with his brosephs

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

idiotsavant posted:

He should learn to take a compliment, and smile more

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

He should learn to take a compliment, and smile more
lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Some fierce spine here:

Im very annoyed. He didnt even speak to me about it. We had so many discussions about moving in together, getting married and then he goes and purchases a truck 2k more than his yearly salary. If youre asking how can a truck be 87k, thats the price you get when you put every addition you want on it. He showed me the truck expecting me to be excited and i was livid. When he bought this truck, we were only a month from moving in together. We got into a bad argument where he told me it was his money and he could do whatever he wanted with it.

So i said fine and i told him im not comfortable moving in with him anymore. I asked my landlord if my apartment was still avaliable and if i could renew my lease and they said yes. Now my bf is saying he cant afford his place and his truck. I dont feel bad. You should have thought of that before buying something so expensive without talking to your gf of 2 years.

I have had some of his friends' gf reach out to me and say i should support him and one even say that im not loyal and this shows i wouldnt support him if we were married since i run away when finances get bad. Thats bullshit. He didnt lose his job or get hurt. He bought an expensive item without discussing it. I have been trying to get him to return the truck because its already affecting his finances badly. He has only had this truck for 2 weeks and he is worried that in the next month or two, he wont be able to cover all the expenses he usually has.

This past weekend, we had another argument and i think our relationship is going to end. Im not helping him pay for this truck and im not moving in with him. I have asked for a break and will be thinking about what to do.

Edit: i appreciate the different opinions everyone has given me. I have alot to think about. To answer two questions, no he doesnt need the truck. He works from home and if he has to check in at work, he has an office. Also, his friends and their girlfriends know about this issue because he asked for their views when we went to a get together last week. Only 2 gfs reached out to me to tell me i wasnt being supportive. The others have minded their business.

Yea, so i broke up with him mainly because i realized we arent financially compatible. Before i go into what happened, i do want to say something. I understand we werent married but we were both moving together into a new place and had several discussions about this move and our plans for the future, including marriage. For the people private messaging me saying its his money and he can do whatever he wants or, youre only two years into a relationship, youre not a wife. I know that and i have never asked what is in his bank account or told him what to do financially. I'm aware it is his money but i also know his financial situation and he was making decisions without my input that, if we were to stay together, would not only affect him but also our relationship and our financial situation for years to come. I will die on this hill: this is not ok and if it's ok for you, that's fine but for me, if we make a financial plan and you make a huge decision without me, i wont be ok with it and that's a big reason why i backed out of moving into a new apartment with him. I would have never made a decision like this without his input at all.

The main reason why we decided to move in together was to take the next step in our relationship but also to pay down our debts. I now have 22k debt from student loans and a car. When i met him though it was around 60k and i was bascially living on credit cards. Within the first couple of months of us dating, i saw how hard he worked and with a salary at 85k, he was making huge process in paying off his loans and credit cards.

On my end, at the time, I was only making 50k. I honestly saw his work ethic and was like wow and got serious about my debt. I got a second parttime job where i was making 32k a year, bringing my salary to 82k. I did that so that i could pay off my debts faster but also so that we could be on equal footing when we moved in together and he didnt have to pay significantly more in living expenses than me when he had more debt. We did a complete budget months before we moved in together and realized that we would each have 700 dollars extra a month to put towards our own individual budgets.

This is why the purchase of this truck was so surprising to me. We had planned this move for months. We had a budget and he destroyed that plan with the truck. If he wanted a new car, there are plenty of cars he could have gotten that would have fit into the 700 monthly surplus he had. Anyway for the past few days before we broke up, he tried to show me that this truck was a good financial purchase and we could still move in together. He told me that he had actually budgeted for this and could show me how he could afford this. I wanted to hear him out so i went to his place and he had 2 budgets.

He said he had been thinking of getting this truck for some time and he had worked out a budget beforehand. He showed me the first budget and after his truck, insurance, expenses, and his debts he was left with 115 dollars for the month. I noticed with the first budget, he didnt include groceries, his hobbies, going out or even gas for his car. I asked him how 115 dollars was enough to live off of for an entire month? I asked him how he could afford all of this and his truck and if he planned to give up some things. He said no he didnt plan to give up anything and that he could make everything work in his budget. I asked him what if he had an emergency or needed gas for his truck and he just kept saying he would work it out without explaining how.

After i saw the first budget, i asked to see the documents for the car and thats how i found out the truck price was 95k total after taxes, registration and fees. He traded in his reliable 2003 toyota and all his savings to get a loan at 14 percent for 72 months. His monthly payment is now 1966 and insurance is 573. He also still has student loans which are significant. I kept telling him 115 dollars left over monthly wasnt enough.

That's when he showed me his second budget which had a combined higher monthly income. I asked him if he was getting a second job and he said due to his job relying on him to be on call, he couldnt. I asked where the income was coming from and this man said, well you're getting a raise soon. I froze because i had mentioned this raise once months ago. My first job is my career job and i work in a field where when you hit certain milestones, you get a pay bump. In september, if my raise is approved, i will go from 50k to 80k, and with my second job, my total yearly income will be 112k. But getting the raise isnt a guarantee. You have to meet certain criteria and if you dont, you have to wait 3 months before trying again.

When he said that, i was quiet and then I said: so you planned a budget that included additional income that i wouldnt get for at least 6 months and income that i might not even get in september. He said when i got my raise, the ratio of what he would pay would decrease and he would have more disposable income. I asked him why it was ok for him to plan budgets with my income but yet i had no say in how he spent his. He couldnt answer that. I told him i had no issue with paying more bills if i got a raise but the fact that he banked on that, didnt discuss it, and now expects me to be ok with this is ridiculous. I also said theres no way i wouldnt be paying more with the first budget because he wouldnt have been able to survive on 115 dollars. I told him he didnt communicate and this is on him because he made huge financial plans without discussing anything. Finally i told him i would never have done any of this without going to him first because i thought we were a team that was building something.

I ended things the next day and he has been trying to reach out but im not interested. He has financially crippled himself with this truck. If with my income now, he could barely make it, he sure isnt making it on his own. I really hope that things work out for him and he is able to keep his truck and recover but im not paying the consequences for such a massive financial mistake that is going to hugely affect him for years to come. If i were to stay, this financial decision affects me as well and would continue to affect both of us for years. Again this is different from becoming ill or losing a job. He chose this and refuses to budge and fix it. I now realize we are not financially compatible and thats ok and i wish him the best.

Edit: Thanks everyone for all the support. I dont hate my ex and i really hope hes able to recover from this. It was such a learning lesson for me in how one mistake can ruin you financially. It has made me even more cautious but also determined to keep working towards a better financial future for myself.

Reply: To answer your question about why i'm not bad mouthing him, its because i'm sad. I'm sad about what he did to himself and that i had to leave because he isnt seeing how bad this is is. Im sad that just a few months ago, i was planning us living together and a life and now thats gone. Most of all, im sad for him. He was doing so well and he rubbed off on me immensely in terms of paying off debt and watching your spending. Im sad that he threw away all his hard work. Dumping on him even more isnt worth it because when he realizes this mistake, it will be so bad for him. I dont see a point to do it but im not judging anyone who would in these circumstances.

Dude just blew up his chance to ride his girlfriend's coattails and mooch off of her because he had to own that tricked out truck that is apparently his life passion and identity RIGHT NOW instead of waiting for the promotion and for her to move in. Thank goodness he showed his whole rear end before they were living together/married/had kids

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Honestly, I'd take the truck over OP too. Good call on the BFs part

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, he doesn't need to give up anything to be able to afford his widdle toy twuck, that's what the girlfriend is for. Whoopsy-daisy!

Pleads posted:

ESH for “whack it in”
Whack it up, whack it in
Let me begin
Stone cold oven
Don't preheat, that's a sin

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Whack it up, whack it in
Let me begin
Stone cold oven
Don't preheat, that's a sin

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The truck purchase is a catch-22: he can't buy it after they've moved in and are officially sharing finances, because then he'd definitely have to consult with her about it.

But if he buys it before they move in together, he can't really afford it. And it throws up a huge red flag. I guess he just crossed his fingers and just fuckin went for it