Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, most of humanity tries to help the mutants but at that point the Sentinels just gently caress everyone up.

In the comics, the other nations plan to use nukes to fight the sentinels, and that will pretty much end civilization.

I'm not sure why they think nuking America after the sentinels move out is a good plan, but what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SimonChris posted:

In the comics, the other nations plan to use nukes to fight the sentinels, and that will pretty much end civilization.

I'm not sure why they think nuking America after the sentinels move out is a good plan, but what do I know?

Mutually assured destruction doctrine I guess - if you kill us we'll kill you first. Only works if the other side cares about being nuked

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bussamove posted:

The Flash has the Speedforce, which is basically an excuse for anything involving his super speed ignoring physics and also lets him do a lot of other dumb poo poo.

I have no idea why he’s powering up with snacks though, last time I saw anything Flash related that wasn’t a thing.

iirc in the tv show Welles or whatever his name is I think it’s eobard thrawn at the time though makes ultra calorie dense nutrition bars for Barry in episode two or three

later they try to make an ultra-alcohol to get him tipsy I think

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bussamove posted:

I have no idea why he’s powering up with snacks though, last time I saw anything Flash related that wasn’t a thing.
They made his metabolism affect his attunement to the Speedforce or something, that's like a blood sugar monitor on his wrist.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Bussamove posted:

Him being crazy hungry all the time and a super fast metabolism has been a thing for awhile, but really only comes up when they need a joke or it's plot dependent. The watch thing and his metabolism's effect on his powers seems new and weird though.

FFT posted:

They made his metabolism affect his attunement to the Speedforce or something, that's like a blood sugar monitor on his wrist.
There you go.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, there were a lot of gags in the CW show with Barry Allen arriving at home with 7 pizzas that were all to go towards his super-metabolism otherwise he'd crash on missions (in the sugar crash terminology, not physically into a wall)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SimonChris posted:

but didnt First Class imply that nukes and their atmospheric fallout cause the first big mutant boom?

man writers are dumb.(yes I know im mixing different medium and versions )

e: por que no tres.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Mar 29, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

but didnt First Class imply that nukes and their atmospheric fallout cause the first big mutant boom?

yes but then they moved the story to Apocalypse anyway, which means mutants are because of Super History Ghengis Khan instead I think.

Or maybe the Celestials or whatever the movie about the ancient super powered guys was, Eternals? Buncha dumb names, but either way those exist in a different universe now due to the marvel/x-men split.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'd heard the term "Speedforce" but I assumed it was the company that all the Flashes from alternate dimensions or whatever are in, when they get together.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
"Speed force" is something I feel like I should hate, but the whole "yes, we fuckin get it, half the poo poo superheroes do to save people would kill them instead because of Physics Reasons, so how bout this? It's magic, okay? He has a magic fuckin' field that allows all this to work!" of it all makes me laugh and go yeah that's fine, I'm cool with that.

The calorie intake thing becomes stupid then though, because the magic field subverts physics but it can't bend the rules with biology? Or are we saying that thanks to the speed force he only needs 10,000 calories instead of a billion? I'll accept that answer also, I guess.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does the flash and other speedsters have massive poops?

theyre eating massive volumes/masses of food, also fat/oils have higher energy density than sugar or protein, so speedsters should be mainlining food oils.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

PhazonLink posted:

theyre eating massive volumes/masses of food, also fat/oils have higher energy density than sugar or protein, so speedsters should be mainlining food oils.

They get the runs :dadjoke:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If he poops while running does the turd just stay stationary in the air or does it follow him? I realize this is not the most scientific question.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CJacobs posted:

If he poops while running does the turd just stay stationary in the air or does it follow him? I realize this is not the most scientific question.

It's like if your have cursor trails turned on.

But with poop.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
At one point Robert Zemeckis was signed to make the Flash movie and I really wish we could have seen that. If there's one thing the man knows, it's stories about people accidentally going back in time because they were moving too fast.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Nameless Pete posted:

At one point Robert Zemeckis was signed to make the Flash movie and I really wish we could have seen that. If there's one thing the man knows, it's stories about people accidentally going back in time because they were moving too fast.

Excuse me there’s nothing accidental about what Doc Brown did. :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zero_Grade posted:

Literally every single aspect of that scene is completely godawful, what the gently caress.

Imagine being a VFX artist with your name associated with producing that.

Agreed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, to be honest. It wasn't captivating enough to be a good action scene and was too stupid and unfunny to be campy, so it failed on both levels. Dear God that movie must have sucked. Glad I passed on it despite loving Michael Keaton.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The only cool Flash moment was the one where Superman was evil because he was sad or whatever and Flash is all Speedstering around while he's fighting someone else and you see Supes' eyes shift suddenly to focus on him. Real 'oh gently caress' moment.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

The only cool Flash moment was the one where Superman was evil because he was sad or whatever and Flash is all Speedstering around while he's fighting someone else and you see Supes' eyes shift suddenly to focus on him. Real 'oh gently caress' moment.

Never watched any of the DC movies but I've watched that scene on YouTube a million times. I like that Supes is fast but not quite as fast, but the Flash knows he's red mist if cops a punch.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Diet Poison posted:

"Speed force" is something I feel like I should hate, but the whole "yes, we fuckin get it, half the poo poo superheroes do to save people would kill them instead because of Physics Reasons, so how bout this? It's magic, okay? He has a magic fuckin' field that allows all this to work!" of it all makes me laugh and go yeah that's fine, I'm cool with that.

The calorie intake thing becomes stupid then though, because the magic field subverts physics but it can't bend the rules with biology? Or are we saying that thanks to the speed force he only needs 10,000 calories instead of a billion? I'll accept that answer also, I guess.
Don't forget, the Speed Force is sentient as well! But you are probably right on the second part. Maybe because he got his speed by accident, the Speed Force basically just keeps him from disintegrating himself.

PhazonLink posted:

No need to poop, no waste. They operate at maximum efficiency like Dennis Reynolds.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I watched the Flash because I wanted to see Michael Keaton and I regret those life choices. Michael Keaton was good, and I liked his bits, the rest was hot garbage. The 1989 Batman style felt really out of place with everything else being modern generic superhero junk, and Ezra Miller was just annoying, and what's great is there's TWO OF HIM. AND THEY BOTH SUCK.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, to be honest. It wasn't captivating enough to be a good action scene and was too stupid and unfunny to be campy, so it failed on both levels. Dear God that movie must have sucked. Glad I passed on it despite loving Michael Keaton.

I can almost see what they were going for but it's just agonizing. This should have been like a 10 second throwaway gag at most.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Oh yeah, everyone loves that moment. Cavill's and Miller's expression sell that scene so well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, it's something like the Sentinels keep adapting until they can detect people who will have mutant children, then people who will have mutant grandchildren, and so on until all of humanity counts.

Yeah, one of the parts of the metaphor that ages all too well; the ideology of racial supremacy running on automatic eventually destroys literally everything.

Come to think of it, it's mirrored with the nazi mutant from First Class, where even his ideal vision of victory involves banners flying over the ruins. Fascists destroy everything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I cannot stand Snyder for all the utter dipshittery he throws in movies about characters I like, but even I gotta admit the "I see you" :catstare: at Barry from Clark is an amazing visual.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I cannot stand Snyder for all the utter dipshittery he throws in movies about characters I like, but even I gotta admit the "I see you" :catstare: at Barry from Clark is an amazing visual.

The one thing I will give Snyder is that his depiction of super heroes actually feel superhuman. That scene with superman tracking flash is really great and sells his power and speed. The other scene that stands out to me was in BvS during the Batman/Superman fight. Batman weakens Supes with kryptonite and starts beating the poo poo out of him with his armored suit. As the kryptonite wears off, the punches have less and less of an effect until it looks like Batman is punching a wall of solid, immovable steel. It's a really good effect and the "oh poo poo" look that Batfleck gives helps sell it. I can't think of anything in the marvel movies that comes close. It's a shame about every other filmmaking choice Snyder makes though. He seems to be one of the few directors that gets how to make super powers really visually striking but desperately needs someone there to tell him to stop making everything so miserable and grim.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah I remember they did this one on Mythbusters.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Related thought came to me last night: if Sabertooth slashes Wolverine in the gut with his claws and nicks his bowel, will he poop into his own abdominal cavity and then heal up before he can scoop it out so he has to walk around with a bulging poo poo hernia?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Related thought came to me last night: if Sabertooth slashes Wolverine in the gut with his claws and nicks his bowel, will he poop into his own abdominal cavity and then heal up before he can scoop it out so he has to walk around with a bulging poo poo hernia?

I once wrote a story with a character with a healing factor and she would have to dig bullets out with surgery if she was shot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Snyder has a lot going for him as a filmmaker and watching that god damned Flash clip makes me wish he had a chance to direct it and turn it into...something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nameless Pete posted:

I think in most of his movie depictions, Wolverine's healing factor is kinda smart in that it will heal him in ways that prevents further damage. Most notably when bullet wounds heal from the inside out, pushing the bullets out instead of sealing them in because the tissue first destroyed heals first.

Unrelated IIMM and more directed at the Internet at large: I rewatched Gladiator, a fantastic example of a movie where the heel gets to be detestable while the face pushes his poo poo in on every conceivable level. And when Maximus made out with Ceasar's sister that Ceasar wanted to bang, I thought "Ah yes, and now he's cucking him!" and now I hate everything that I have ever learned.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
C-Commodus?!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sally posted:

C-Commodus?!

And now I hate you too!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Grendels Dad posted:

Unrelated IIMM and more directed at the Internet at large: I rewatched Gladiator, a fantastic example of a movie where the heel gets to be detestable while the face pushes his poo poo in on every conceivable level. And when Maximus made out with Ceasar's sister that Ceasar wanted to bang, I thought "Ah yes, and now he's cucking him!" and now I hate everything that I have ever learned.

Until these posts I didn't realise Phoenix was supposed to be playing Commodus (never got around to watching it, just seen clips) and now I'm irrationally annoyed because this is the only portrayal of Commodus I will accept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWwAC9dOTCE

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The real Commodus was twice as crazy as the one in the film.

They tone him down a lot.

He was obsessed with gladiatorial combat and had a thing for having exotic animals shipped in so he could slaughter them in front of an audience. This included giraffes and an ostrich which he decapitated with a specially designed throwing weapon.

There's also the time he had the amputees of Rome rounded up and tied together in the Colloseum and then walked in dressed as Hercules and beat a bunch of them to death while pretending they were giants.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's also the time he had the amputees of Rome rounded up and tied together in the Colloseum and then walked in dressed as Hercules and beat a bunch of them to death while pretending they were giants.

The Human Centipede: Phase 0

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fil5000 posted:

Until these posts I didn't realise Phoenix was supposed to be playing Commodus (never got around to watching it, just seen clips)

its a good film fil5000

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The real Commodus was twice as crazy as the one in the film.

They tone him down a lot.

He was obsessed with gladiatorial combat and had a thing for having exotic animals shipped in so he could slaughter them in front of an audience. This included giraffes and an ostrich which he decapitated with a specially designed throwing weapon.

Also, in contrast to the movie, his sister wasn't interested in deposing him in order to make Rome more democratic. She was more motivated by her hatred of Commodus' wife and her own desires to sit on the throne.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I like to imagine that's where we got the word commode from

For non southern USA folks:

quote:

In the United States, a "commode" is a colloquial synonym for a flush toilet particularly in the American South.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tenkaris posted:

I like to imagine that's where we got the word commode from

For non southern USA folks:

it is. commodus instituted a tax on piss (for, i forget the word, softening leather), hence pissoirs were known as commodusialies in spain, whence southern american dialect commode