Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Use explosive resist armor, not medic armor. Stims won't save you from being one shot by rockets, explosive resist will.

You don't need a shield. I would go as far to say it doesn't do much against bots. If you're going to die it's because you're taking many shots / a salvo of rockets and being able to take two or three more poo poo bot laser bolts isn't going to save you. Rocket devestators are accurate enough they can ragdoll you with one rocket then hit you mid air with another. I don't like the dome either, sitting in one place isn't a good idea. I even saw a funny situation where a sneaky patrol of bots overtook it and gained the benefits for themselves.

The biggest key is to realize they remember where you went. Big swarm of guys staring at where you took cover? Don't pop out at the same place, you'll take a bunch of rockets to the face. Fall back if you need to, flank and come at them from another angle. You might even get some juicy exposed weak spots on the tougher stuff to hit this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

for bots I would just like some planets with cover and terrain that lets you disengage. too often it's just a plain open field and yoy get flanked somehow and that's it, enjoy vietnam. eh, it's still really fun for me, but I think more access to cover would be nice

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

You don't need a shield. I would go as far to say it doesn't do much against bots. If you're going to die it's because you're taking many shots / a salvo of rockets and being able to take two or three more poo poo bot laser bolts isn't going to save you.
The personal shield doesn't take "two or three more poo poo bot laser bolts", from full it takes significantly more damage to break than your entire healthbar.
It will save you from rockets much, much more consistently than explosive resist armor will. The only time I don't take shield on bot missions is when running autocannon.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also idk I like the shield for bots and spewer heavy bug missions precisely because it lets you tank that one rocket/vomit and get somewhere safe

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ulio posted:

The people who say just rush objectives must be only playing in bugs. Like how are you suppose to just cosplay as Sonic and rush objectives when you are getting shot from every direction.

This is why bots are vastly superior for me because you get teammates who get forced to fight instead of doing their pacifist run.

Uh, it's super-easy to rush bots - even moreso than bugs because you can easily outpace them until they give up the chase. They don't move very quickly and they only shoot the hell out of you when they know you're there - so don't fire at them unless you're willing to start some poo poo with them. Using Stealth Light Armor makes it really easy to outmaneuver them/go through any gaps in their patrols/formations and you can take a fair number of objectives without needing to fire a shot.

For those that do require shooting, you can obliterate most bases/outposts with stratagems like Orbital Laser and Barrages. All you need to do is toss in the beacon and the strat will do most, if not all of the work. That leaves you free to sanic in another direction to do a different objective as the bots are left standing there wondering who turned up the heat as the orbital laser slags them.

LazyMaybe posted:

The personal shield doesn't take "two or three more poo poo bot laser bolts", from full it takes significantly more damage to break than your entire healthbar.
It will save you from rockets much, much more consistently than explosive resist armor will. The only time I don't take shield on bot missions is when running autocannon.

Taking a backpack strat means that I am taking fewer stratagems that allow me to rain unholy fire/explosions on bots from orbit and I gotta follow the rule of cool when I make my loadouts.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

LazyMaybe posted:

It's a crutch and you don't need it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Durzel posted:

How are people enjoying bots? I’m struggling.

My cadre of chums can do level 9 Bugs consistently without too many issues. We tried a level 5 Bots mission on Troost and it was just a deeply unfun experience. Chaff bots that you can barely discern but who fire rockets at you that ragdoll you if you survive at all, and Devastators nuking you with splash damage. Even when you’re trying to shoot them you’re getting winged, which throws your aiming off. God forbid you actually die and have to try and recover your shield (which seems essential).

I get that Bots needs a different mindset, but is Solid Snaking it around from cover to cover the only viable way?

We completed the mission but one of my friends ragequit before extraction, so missed out on the major order contribution I assume.

Felt like that closing scene in Platoon for pretty much the entire mission. Can’t see poo poo, rounds coming at you from 360 degrees, rocket bastards sprinkled around everywhere waiting to OHK you. At least with Bugs its only the big stuff that is really a threat (Hunter swarm notwithstanding), and they are slow and/or conspicuous.

Bots suck.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

me talking about literally any good option in the videogame to pretend their tangible value doesn't exist

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
If you want to participate in the bot defense missions, I don't suggest it. Pubbies have 0 idea how to gear for it. I went into 5 games so far, all of which had like 3 reinforcements and 0 saved civies.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Bots got real easy once we started packing an Autocannon… which made for chaos and pain when we dropped right on a Jammer Station. Pretty sure we blew through 12/20 reinforcements before even leaving that area. Whoops.

In general, bots feel like a normal FPS. They are pretty consistent and predictable; while they may overwhelm you with firepower, a couple of good bombs and coordination will take them out. Bugs feel much more random to me and a lot harder to clear in some instances.

Either way, it’s pretty cool that they feel like different modes of play, and I’m excited to see what happens when the Bots & Bugs undoubtably join forces

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Once I get the personal shield unlocked, I may don a Democracy Protects armor with a personal shield to see how much I can mitigate some of the bots OHKO threats with that.
This is what I've been doing as an alternative to heavy explosive-resist armor and it feels really good. The shield will eat 1 rocket and if another gets you between regens you might still live.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Some of y'all besmirched my favorite strategem.

Mech is strong as hell vs both factions but there's a pretty big skill floor on it if you're taking it vs bots. Different areas of the mech have different levels of armoring and you have to position more heavily armored areas toward incoming fire.

The center front is the lightest armor on the mech. If you've summoned a mech and had bots take it down with small arms in 20 seconds its because you didn't protect this. Heavier armor exists on the angled sides of the torso and on most of the back (I think the hatch itself is lightly armored, similar to the front). Armor somewhere between those two levels covers the arms. The big outer thigh plate on the legs is heavier armor. The front and back facing surfaces and joints of the legs are lighter armor. I call it "heavier" and "lighter" because if mech were an enemy we'd be calling the whole thing medium armored at best. The slugger will white x the heaviest bits. That said, the sturdier parts will deflect most bot small arms fire.

Heavier armor locations:

Heavier armor deflecting bot fire:

With this knoweldge, you can really make a mech last a long time against bots. Use cover to your advantage, only exposing the arm you're planning on firing with. If you have to move through open terrain under fire, do so with your front angled such that most incoming fire will land on the arms or heavier armor. Never look straight on at anything that'll be alive longer than a second. If you've taken a lot of fire to one side and need to absorb some more, try to angle so the other arm and leg absorb it. If one of your arms is out of ammo, that's your shield now, use it.

Also just don't get hit by explosives.

OK this has been too many words about mechs. Please stop calling them bad, I see your laser spending its entire lifetime trying to kill a single hulk.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

LazyMaybe posted:

me talking about literally any good option in the videogame to pretend their tangible value doesn't exist

So take something that will actually kill the stuff shooting at you instead of giving the ability to die to the second rocket in a devestator barage instead of the first. I've tried it plenty and the difference is negligible.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Bots are fun as hell to fight cause they hang out in little forts (cool) instead of holes in the ground (dumb, boring)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bots are overall easier than bugs imo

but you really can't gently caress around with bots the same way you can with bugs. they don't give you that slack. once the conga line of murder starts you better be ready to lay down the firepower (or hit da bricks) instead of loving around running in circles like experienced players can with bugs. Bots require more coordination, for players to lay out the firepower to quickly eliminate bot swarms; but they also require more individual skill in terms of learning how not to get rocketed immediately. These things play into eachother, you lose a lot less people to random rockets if people are proactively killing off rocket devastators attacking their teammates.

Hulks are a case in point. Kiting a scorcher hulk is far more dangerous than kiting a Charger, even though Hulks were objectively easier kills before the charger nerf and arguably still are.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Mech is strong as hell vs both factions but there's a pretty big skill floor on it if you're taking it vs bots. Different areas of the mech have different levels of armoring and you have to position more heavily armored areas toward incoming fire.

i would also note that the biggest advantage the mech has against bots is being able to fire on the move. rockets basically cant hit the mech in long range engagements, all you have to do is move to the side and keep suppressing with the minigun.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bots are fun as hell because I find a bug that thinks to be offensive which means I find a hunk of metal that thinks to be even more offensive.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Hulks are a case in point. Kiting a scorcher hulk is far more dangerous than kiting a Charger, even though Hulks were objectively easier kills before the charger nerf and arguably still are.

Yeah, if a Scorcher Hulk makes it alive to get in close with you and your team, you're all about to be replaced by the next batch of freshly-defrosted Helldivers. You can bullfight a Charger, but a Scorcher Hulk will just barbeque you.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

bots are overall easier than bugs imo

but you really can't gently caress around with bots the same way you can with bugs. they don't give you that slack. once the conga line of murder starts you better be ready to lay down the firepower (or hit da bricks) instead of loving around running in circles like experienced players can with bugs. Bots require more coordination, for players to lay out the firepower to quickly eliminate bot swarms; but they also require more individual skill in terms of learning how not to get rocketed immediately. These things play into eachother, you lose a lot less people to random rockets if people are proactively killing off rocket devastators attacking their teammates.

i would also note that the biggest advantage the mech has against bots is being able to fire on the move. rockets basically cant hit the mech in long range engagements, all you have to do is move to the side and keep suppressing with the minigun.

Does the mech minigun have any kind of armour penetration or are you just relying on hitting weakpoints for devastators etc? I tried it once or twice but it felt kinda useless once I was out of rockets

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am sure everyone else has realized long ago, but I just realized the little flask has lights that fill up the more samples you collect :shobon:

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I have started to against bots because I am sick of trying to give the AMR more love while getting flinched from every stiff breeze, even if the raw protection can be nice. Not as much of a problem when vomiting out autocannon rounds which don't let me use a shield anyways.

That said, calling shields a crutch against bots is also the fast track to dying faster. If you have the 'EZ mode crutch' mindset that means you won't be accounting for losing it while behind hard cover, because your bubble is poking out from behind the rock and it is taking fire.

If we didn't have so much flinch spam I wouldn't even be giving shields the time of day in favor of more sky murder or EMS sentry. gently caress I would take a support item that doesn't even shield me if it gave me flinch immunity. Sure I would die and have to grab it more often than a forcefield, but it would also seriously cut down on my deaths due to "oops you missed by an inch because flinching" chains.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Section Z posted:

I am sure everyone else has realized long ago, but I just realized the little flask has lights that fill up the more samples you collect :shobon:
The icon on the map is also more filled the more samples are in it!

Can be tough to see through the other icons probably on top of it though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 29, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Why do so many people bail on operations? I've done maybe 19 missions today and none have had more than 1 in a chain, even when I'm hosting because everyone leaves even if it was a smooth run

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, if a Scorcher Hulk makes it alive to get in close with you and your team, you're all about to be replaced by the next batch of freshly-defrosted Helldivers. You can bullfight a Charger, but a Scorcher Hulk will just barbeque you.

Stun grenades make them big piles of unmoving metal with easy to hit weak points if you have them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Stun grenades make them big piles of unmoving metal with easy to hit weak points if you have them.

stun grenades and laser cannon clears up a whole lot of metal

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It kinda feels like eagle strategems are just so much better than orbital strategems across the board.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

So take something that will actually kill the stuff shooting at you instead of giving the ability to die to the second rocket in a devestator barage instead of the first. I've tried it plenty and the difference is negligible.
I'm already taking stuff that will kill the stuff shooting me. I frequently have the most kills on extract, I'm mowing down rows of striders with my scorcher, shooting hulks in the eyes with my AMR/laser cannon and dropping eagle airstrikes/orbital lasers on tanks.

By the way, the personal shield doesn't pop to one rocket unless it's missing HP. It can let you tank 2 rockets from a devastator, while wearing light armor with no damage mitigation effect.
It has a lot of HP.

https://i.imgur.com/Uw9qMaU.mp4

You don't even get ragdolled if you don't take HP damage(which is what happens if you've got a full shield and get hit by 1 stray rocket, or take indirect hits from 2 rockets due to them barely hitting shield or splashing nearby terrain).
And I don't know why you're posting like you think I haven't done shieldless runs. Like I said, I run autocannon because I think it's worth not having a shield. But it's obviously nice to have a shield, and misrepresenting what it does by saying it only blocks a couple regular bot lasers is just way off the mark.

Kwolok posted:

It kinda feels like eagle strategems are just so much better than orbital strategems across the board.
Not entirely. Orbital smokes are, IMO, better than eagle smokes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The center front is the lightest armor on the mech. If you've summoned a mech and had bots take it down with small arms in 20 seconds its because you didn't protect this. Heavier armor exists on the angled sides of the torso and on most of the back (I think the hatch itself is lightly armored, similar to the front). Armor somewhere between those two levels covers the arms. The big outer thigh plate on the legs is heavier armor. The front and back facing surfaces and joints of the legs are lighter armor. I call it "heavier" and "lighter" because if mech were an enemy we'd be calling the whole thing medium armored at best. The slugger will white x the heaviest bits. That said, the sturdier parts will deflect most bot small arms fire.

Heavier armor locations:

Heavier armor deflecting bot fire:

With this knoweldge, you can really make a mech last a long time against bots. Use cover to your advantage, only exposing the arm you're planning on firing with. If you have to move through open terrain under fire, do so with your front angled such that most incoming fire will land on the arms or heavier armor. Never look straight on at anything that'll be alive longer than a second. If you've taken a lot of fire to one side and need to absorb some more, try to angle so the other arm and leg absorb it. If one of your arms is out of ammo, that's your shield now, use it.

Also just don't get hit by explosives.

OK this has been too many words about mechs. Please stop calling them bad, I see your laser spending its entire lifetime trying to kill a single hulk.
Good and informative post

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ravenfood posted:

Why do so many people bail on operations? I've done maybe 19 missions today and none have had more than 1 in a chain, even when I'm hosting because everyone leaves even if it was a smooth run

Sometimes I don't have another 30-40 minutes of playtime free

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Piell posted:

Sometimes I don't have another 30-40 minutes of playtime free

Sure, but this has been every single person. Guess I'm the smelly kid.

E: and yeah I'm finding the "evacuate civilians" levels where you get dropped into a tiny area and get swarmed by bots basically impossible. They just drop more troops faster than I can kill them even taking down dropships and I just get swarmed.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 29, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

personal shield rules because CC/slows are aids

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Does the mech minigun have any kind of armour penetration or are you just relying on hitting weakpoints for devastators etc? I tried it once or twice but it felt kinda useless once I was out of rockets

Yeah, feels like medium pen. You can chew through a strider's hip pretty quick, and lay into devastator's back or waist. Honestly not sure about hulk eyes, I usually either have a rocket or someone throws an orbital.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bail on operations because they almost always have an eradicate mission and those aren't fun!!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kwolok posted:

It really depends on what you're going for. Eagle does have a fair amount of flexibility and multiple calls, but Orbitals are all about overwhelming amounts of firepower with a generous amount of room for making mistakes (usually). Orbital Barrages will absolutely gently caress up bot outposts with a minimum of care/time - just toss the beacon towards the middle and the duration/spread will pretty much guarantee that everything dies. Orbital Railcannon is glorious at absolutely murderizing That One Thing you need to die with next to no precision needed on your part. Gatling Barrage and Airstrike are extremely good sustained area denial. Gas Strike can cheese Light Bot Outposts with a very generous cooldown timer once fully upgraded.

It depends on who you're fighting, too. I like Eagle for bugs because multiple calldowns are really handy to have when you're dealing with multiple Chargers or a combination of Chargers/Bile Titans. I like Orbitals for bots because you can use them to enact some crazy hit-and-run strategies to clear bases/objectives with a minimal amount of time spent in actual firefights/engagements. I even like combinations of both at times!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The shield also stops the earthquake tremors from stunning/slowing you which is pretty nice.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I could see calling it a crutch against bugs because the laser dog does also gives you good protection and additionally takes out the threat, but that is much less often the case against bots. It's a strong choice with few downsides.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

hey mom its 420 posted:

for bots I would just like some planets with cover and terrain that lets you disengage. too often it's just a plain open field and yoy get flanked somehow and that's it, enjoy vietnam. eh, it's still really fun for me, but I think more access to cover would be nice

I feel like we're playing different games, there's like no bot planet at all where you don't have at least two rocks to hide in a few feet away from anywhere you could be standing in.

Sure I've been pinned down behind a rock thousands of times, but never been in a situation where there's no rock at all, unless I planned things really really badly (like say, fording a big river in Malevelon with patrols all around me).

Space 'Nam has trees and rocks and hills, Space Scotland had tons of rocks and mountains. Ubanea has rocks everywhere. Which one's the open field planet?

E: unless you're talking about defense maps where ehhh maybe, if you get overwhelmed your cover is bust, but that's a map issue, not planet terrain.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I like the shield against bots but I like the Autocannon just too much to give it up.

The shield also suffers by giving you a bigger hitbox, so all that random bullshit that normally misses you will blow up on your shield. I have also screwed up by forgetting I had a shield on and touching mines with it.

I did two separate Hellpod -> Tank drops today that felt awesome. First one I climb down the back and pop it with an Impact Grenade, second one I killed just with the pod.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Kwolok posted:

Orbital airburst eats cluster's lunch though.

I think eagles are meant to be better, with the downside being if you take more than one you complicate your cooldowns. Nobody wants to open their strategem menu and see they don't have any 500kgs because they haven't used their last strafing run yet.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The winter one has some very open spaces that have water that restrict your options further. I've been lucky enough to encounter mainly berserker patrols in these areas.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Only thing better than the Quasar right now is two quasars. Pop your shot, and grab the other to fire again. Can just swap back to ignore the cooldown. Genius.

Ravenfood posted:

Sure, but this has been every single person. Guess I'm the smelly kid.

E: and yeah I'm finding the "evacuate civilians" levels where you get dropped into a tiny area and get swarmed by bots basically impossible. They just drop more troops faster than I can kill them even taking down dropships and I just get swarmed.
I haven't had this one come up for me in ages I guess because I haven't been around for a bot defensive operation but yeah it's the hardest mission I think. As soon as you die and lose your momentum, or you hit all your cooldowns on strats you get absolutely swamped.
It doesn't let up. I've heard the gimmick is to keep most of the team outside the base to cause a ruckus so one person can evacuate everyone but I haven't tried it to see if it's legit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can't stress enough how good the Medium Stealth armor is for bots, I haven't felt the need to take the shield since I started using it. As long as you're not grouped up exactly on your teammates you can just circle around the outside of an engagement zone and snipe enemies, if you move a little or break LoS after a few seconds of firing they seem to never become aware of your position and you will rarely take return fire - when you do it's a small amount and the medium armor prevents it from becoming a big deal. You can also easily solo entire objectives this way as long as you take out the ones that call dropships first.

e: Though to be fair I run a laser cannon and I don't know if it's 'stealthier' than other weapons due to not making much noise. This might not work so well with something loud but I have no idea if that's even taken into account

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’ve been wearing medium stealth for aesthetics but it’s been pretty useful.