Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Washin Tong posted:

I feel like we're playing different games, there's like no bot planet at all where you don't have at least two rocks to hide in a few feet away from anywhere you could be standing in.

Sure I've been pinned down behind a rock thousands of times, but never been in a situation where there's no rock at all, unless I planned things really really badly (like say, fording a big river in Malevelon with patrols all around me).

Space 'Nam has trees and rocks and hills, Space Scotland had tons of rocks and mountains. Ubanea has rocks everywhere. Which one's the open field planet?

E: unless you're talking about defense maps where ehhh maybe, if you get overwhelmed your cover is bust, but that's a map issue, not planet terrain.

yeah, you’re right, lots of bot planets offer good cover and are cool. i was talking about the one with the red grass. there are wide swaths of open hills with some small rocks strewn around. maybe I just haven’t found the right strat for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I've been forcing myself to wear some medium explosive resist armor to reprogram my internal throw arc range after wearing 30% throw distance armor a majority of my play time. Long range throws is addictive as hell.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Orbital smoke drop is better than people think in general, and in particular is great for when you don't have good cover.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Sure, but this has been every single person. Guess I'm the smelly kid.

E: and yeah I'm finding the "evacuate civilians" levels where you get dropped into a tiny area and get swarmed by bots basically impossible. They just drop more troops faster than I can kill them even taking down dropships and I just get swarmed.

Is the team dying a lot when people bail? If the burn rate on respawns is high in the first five minutes I usually bail rather than wasting another 10 minutes on people who will run out of respawns before extraction.

Also shields/EAT/orb.laser/railcannon is amazing for bot missions. AC (and the new HMG + supply pack) is good for sure, but I prefer shields for bots over the AC any day of the week. An alternative to railcannon is taking EMP turret, its great for defending objectives or just disengaging a clusterfuck. If two people on the team run EATs they've you've basically negated dropships entirely.

Dante fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 29, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Scorcher to nail weakpoints, a mortar turret either variety, light armor, an impact grenade, and an airstrike plus a heavy bombardment. Throw the turrets every cool down so they attract and kill patrols.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Droxis posted:

I've been forcing myself to wear some medium explosive resist armor to reprogram my internal throw arc range after wearing 30% throw distance armor a majority of my play time. Long range throws is addictive as hell.

god it's so good, it's incredibly satisfying to huck a stratagem all the way to the middle of a base without ever getting close

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How's the quasar cannon? One of my friends is higher level than me, bought it, tried it in one bot mission and immediately declared it trash but it was too hectic for me to pick it up and give it a go, he does tend to be one of those players who dismisses things very quickly though so I suspect it is better than he made out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Droxis posted:

If it helps, the distance that feels like the "Farthest I can get 100% 500 bomb destruction" from factories is 50, preferably 45 to 40 for that addictive "landed right on top of the factory roof and didn't bounce' feeling.

Though I am also complete garbage with good old airstrike on bug missions. I wonder how much of that is being a bit short/past will barely miss, or how much of that is overhanging rocks loving with me, as my top reason to angrily throw a strat at a nest/factory is nonstop cases of me approaching it from the back.

"Okay, okay. THIS time I will just sprint in to throw grenades-gently caress."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

thebardyspoon posted:

How's the quasar cannon? One of my friends is higher level than me, bought it, tried it in one bot mission and immediately declared it trash but it was too hectic for me to pick it up and give it a go, he does tend to be one of those players who dismisses things very quickly though so I suspect it is better than he made out.
Pretty good. It's an EAT with infinite ammo, but a several second charge time and then a short cooldown before you can shoot again.
Strong when you have time to line up a shot, weak when you're actively getting pressured.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It's a crutch and you don't need it.

I'm not sure you can simultaneously call the shield a crutch and ineffectual. It's either effective and people struggle without it, or a trap not a crutch. Pick one.

The shield is demonstrably very good, it has a ton of health, prevents flinches and slowdowns and allows for much more aggressive play if you want it. And sure, it can also cover some of your mistakes or rash decisions. If you personally feel like it's uncool to use it or that you'd rather have a spare slot for another orbital stratagem that's your prerogative and a valid opinion. There's pretty much no bot problem you can't solve safely and efficiently with a shield and an AMR. Given you're also often dealing with jammers, 2 negative modifiers potentially nerfing stratagems, air defences etc. it's a pretty obviously strong choice of kit for the task.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

It is great I would say. I prefer EATS because with the super-quick respawn you always have one up - but if you don't want to deal with calling in stratagems then the quasar is useful.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

thebardyspoon posted:

As a diehard EAT fan, I like the Quasar. Yes, it has some spin up time that prevents you from taking those 'OH poo poo' shots like you can with an RR or EAT but I appreciate that it's got no ballistic drop and will go through multiple enemies. I got a two-fer by blasting two Striders with one Quasar shot, one behind the other.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
the quasar also has a leg up on EATs for bots specifically bc besides all the use cases you don't have to worry about the drat stratagem blockers

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nice thing about Quasar too I didn't see mentioned is you can start the charge before you ADS. If you only have a second to get a shot off out of cover you can start charging it first, pop out and fire, then duck back for the cooldown.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hey mom its 420 posted:

yeah, you’re right, lots of bot planets offer good cover and are cool. i was talking about the one with the red grass. there are wide swaths of open hills with some small rocks strewn around. maybe I just haven’t found the right strat for that

just crouch or go prone

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

finally finished the journey to the scorcher and I like it. Not sure it's better than the diligence on bots but for bugs it lets you kill the football bugs from the front and blow up spitters. ammo's the only issue.

Legit Businessman posted:

I don't know why you in particular are cursed when playing this game :smith:.

Have a watch here regarding the democracy protects armor:

https://youtu.be/_xoBOfAgBmw?feature=shared

There are maps where you can pick up bleed effects without it being a chest hemorrhage (like on the creek).

The democracy protects ONLY protects you from bleeding IF you get the red chest wound. So it's not a bug, you gotta read the description of the armor.

I'm pretty sure these plants were on the planet so this was probably it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The other really big strat for bots is diving prone. You take 75% less explosive damage during the dive, which is huge on bots. Also, stim&dive makes fire survivable.

One thing of note I heard is that direct rocket hits are not explosive but impact, so your mileage may vary with explosion resistant armor if the round actually touches you before exploding. Surviving splash damage better is nice though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Owl Inspector posted:

finally finished the journey to the scorcher and I like it. Not sure it's better than the diligence on bots
It's somewhat random but if you shoot a scout strider in the groin the pilot will die in 1-3 shots to the AOE.

I like the diligence but if I'm not running a support weapon that can pop several striders quickly it's real hard to put down the scorcher.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The other really big strat for bots is diving prone. You take 75% less explosive damage during the dive, which is huge on bots. Also, stim&dive makes fire survivable.

One thing of note I heard is that direct rocket hits are not explosive but impact, so your mileage may vary with explosion resistant armor if the round actually touches you before exploding. Surviving splash damage better is nice though.

Now, when they pro-snipe you with a rocket when you are at the peak heigh of your dive however... Yeah not even my beloved exterminator armor saved me from that one.

"Please don't drop me on the opposite side of the base with a shield bot between me and my gear-god damnit..."

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BurntCornMuffin posted:

yea the mortars/rockets/bombs/etc. in this game have actual projectiles that deal damage when they hit things. the ems mortar can kill things if it lands a direct hit on them because of the projecitle and the 500 kg bomb will kill things before it detonates if it hits them

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The bubble shield is honestly pretty great against bots ime. The cooldown is really short too

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Democracy Officer : Can you smell it, Helldiver?

The sweet scent of--

AA DEFENSE, -1 STRATAGEM SLOT

:smith:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Found out that eagle smoke stratagem will still kill fabricators. Cheesed my last needed super samples on a lvl 8 bot blitz mission solo. While running around trying to find the buttplug rock and aggro-ing everything I managed to destroy a single fabricator with eagle smoke. Also turns out you can just put on recon armor and let the clock run out and hide until the emergency evac shuttle shows up.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

thebardyspoon posted:

The Quasar is the new old railgun for "stratagem that deletes all problems" it will get a nerf at some point as it deletes *everything*, shreker nest other side of map? Delete. Bile Titan? Two tap, Delete. Hulk? 2 Two tap, Delete. Dropship full of Heavy devs? D-D-D-eleted!

My go to load out for all things now bugs or bots is

Slugger <-- get good with this and you can one tap even heavy shield devs or at least stagger them and stop them hosing you
Machine Pistol
Quasar Cannon
Stun/impact nads
Shield backpack
light recon armour

anything else is for your vibe check

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Scarecow posted:

The Quasar is the new old railgun for "stratagem that deletes all problems" it will get a nerf at some point as it deletes *everything*, shreker nest other side of map? Delete. Bile Titan? Two tap, Delete. Hulk? 2 Two tap, Delete. Dropship full of Heavy devs? D-D-D-eleted!

Slugger <-- get good with this and you can one tap even heavy shield devs or at least stagger them and stop them hosing you
Machine Pistol
Quasar Cannon
Stun/impact nads
Shield backpack
light recon armour

yeah if you don't count the 14 second cooldown between shots you can really just instantly kill anything with it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

yeah if you don't count the 14 second cooldown between shots you can really just instantly kill anything with it

The cooldown is 6 seconds unless you're on a Hot planet

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

thebardyspoon posted:

I suppose it's best to frame it as an option between the EAT and Recoilless.

Slight variation in flavor depending on what feels best for you. I've been bringing it along on bot machines to gauge an impression. Infinite ammo, doesn't take up a backpack slot, and doesn't require constant call downs. The charge up can be awkward/fatal in some circumstances compared to the other two. Also, unlike the EAT, if you die soon after calling it in (suicidal hot drops are an expected feature) and cannot retrieve your quasar, you'll be out of luck until the cooldown refreshes or your group can clear off whatever is squatting on your original call-in. This isn't particularly unique to the weapon, but I call it a point in favor of the EAT in general. :v:

edit: Forgot to mention that the quasar can also down drop ships if you nail one of their thrusters. Worth considering, though I've had more than a few occasions where perfectly healthy bots come clipping out of the wreckage regardless.

Droxis fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 30, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Welp, this major order probably just became impossible, since Draupnir is under attack and when it falls Ubanea and Tibit are cut off. I guess we're getting gunships next week after bots keep their main production center.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ehh. The quasar is good, but not that good. It's honestly hampered by it's charge-up time and the heatsink cooldown. It's useful, but I don't find it to be particularly op or feel necessary to bring to deal with all problems like the railgun was. EATs, RR, AC, and to a lesser degree the GL are just as if not more useful than the Quasar ime.

i wonder how much heatsink degradation affects it. I seem to recall that the game models heatsink degradation on laser weapons and reduces damage based on heat cycles on the heatsink.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've planted way too many flags to give up my reproduction privileges

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Scarecow posted:

Machine Pistol
Quasar Cannon
Stun/impact nads
Shield backpack
light recon armour

Sickle
Senator
Impact
Supply Pack
Quasar
Heavy Medic Armor.

Nigh unkillable so far, the extended stim timer makes the stamina issues of heavy armor... not, and you can just stim and grenade forever with the set up. Quasar lets me take down enemy bases by slamming a round into important stuff's weakpoints, and blow up things I don't like, impact grenade spam handles... everything else and quick sickle bursts between quasar shots allows me to take out the small fry.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

turn off the TV posted:

on none hot planets its less then that and it one taps dropships, chargers, hulk back shots just take two taps from the slugger and they are down and the wild card is you can still bring in EATs with those two spare strat slots

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dog nougat posted:

i wonder how much heatsink degradation affects it. I seem to recall that the game models heatsink degradation on laser weapons and reduces damage based on heat cycles on the heatsink.

I use lascannon almost exclusively as my support weapon and often back it up with a Scythe and this is not something I have ever noticed happening.

Quasar feels leagues beyond EAT/RR to me but that's possibly because I'm used to the charge up time on the lascannon. Laser cannon feels straight up better against bots (can't kill dropships or fabricators or front-kill hulks but kills everything else faster than Quasar) but the quasar is my new go-to for bugs.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 30, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

hey mom its 420 posted:

also idk I like the shield for bots and spewer heavy bug missions precisely because it lets you tank that one rocket/vomit and get somewhere safe

I used to take the shield for bugs, but after a while I changed to always being in light armor and taking the laser dog and just keep moving and be aware of surroundings. It lets you know when something is sneaking up behind you and puts in work to boot.

LuiCypher posted:

Taking a backpack strat means that I am taking fewer stratagems that allow me to rain unholy fire/explosions on bots from orbit and I gotta follow the rule of cool when I make my loadouts.

I rarely find this a problem in high level missions since there are often a lot of modifiers that make the fire rain and unholy explosions kind of crap. Increased Scatter, Double refresh time, Increased drop time. All those make the call ins far less reliable, but none of those things affect equipment you wear and use. If I never played bots or 7 and up I would totally agree with you though.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I don't know how the math works out but in light armor with explosion resistance I very reliably do not get one shot by bot missiles, I just get ragdolled consistently. I have to assume that means it's counting as explosive, or I would be very dead.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I use lascannon almost exclusively as my support weapon and often back it up with a Scythe and this is not something I have ever noticed happening.

Quasar feels leagues beyond EAT/RR to me but that's possibly because I'm used to the charge up time on the lascannon. Laser cannon feels straight up better against bots (can't kill dropships or fabricators or front-kill hulks but kills everything else faster than Quasar) but the quasar is my new go-to for bugs.

you can front kill hulks with the laser cannon; you have to focus on the eyes for multiple seconds but stun grenades make it real easy

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sindai posted:

Welp, this major order probably just became impossible, since Draupnir is under attack and when it falls Ubanea and Tibit are cut off. I guess we're getting gunships next week after bots keep their main production center.

People seem to mostly ignore defense missions because There aren't any rewards (That I have seen)

In this case though, there's definitely going to be a downside. I don't think general pubbies will ever pay attention enough that this won't just keep happening though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Anyone sleeping on the laser cannon should give it a go. I don’t think it's a particularly good weapon, but like the medium machine gun it's fun to use and has excellent sound design.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's definitely a good weapon IMO, it has some of the fastest kill times in the game whenever you can hit something's weakspot

https://i.imgur.com/jzYRExm.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BitBasher posted:

I don't know how the math works out but in light armor with explosion resistance I very reliably do not get one shot by bot missiles, I just get ragdolled consistently. I have to assume that means it's counting as explosive, or I would be very dead.
I assume that if the projectile hits you there's both a "normal" damage portion for direct collision with the projectile and then also explosive damage from it detonating.

That said, I prefer the "50% chance to not die" for survivability overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If the regular guard dog got fully resupplied off one supply pack I'd probably run it all the time.