Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For bots I recommend trying the coinflip not to die armor, 50% chance to survive all those one shot rocket bots hiding behind shrubs and cannon towers you didn't notice, stealth and explosive resist would be my second choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For bots I recommend trying the coinflip not to die armor, 50% chance to survive all those one shot rocket bots hiding behind shrubs and cannon towers you didn't notice, stealth and explosive resist would be my second choice.

Yeah, unfortunately half the time you also slam into a rock and need to roll for life again.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

BadLlama posted:

Yeah, unfortunately half the time you also slam into a rock and need to roll for life again.

Its always the impact that kills me.
I'll survive tanks exploding under me, hellbombs detonating behind me, rockets juggling me - but then I'll trip and bonk my head and die. Perfect.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just use the grenade armor and stun nades

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's definitely a good weapon IMO, it has some of the fastest kill times in the game whenever you can hit something's weakspot

https://i.imgur.com/jzYRExm.mp4

Can it take down drop ships?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Too bad the grenade armor doesn't also refill an extra grenade when hitting up a resupply box.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RC Cola posted:

Yes, shooting an engine as usual.

e: for some reason thought this was asking about quasar

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 30, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh, someone finally figured out why incendiary weapons feel really bad most of the time: a fire DoT on enemies only hurts them if it was inflicted by the host: https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bqykqb/burning_damage_deals_zero_damage_when_you_are_not/

Some people in the comments saying gas strikes are wildly inconsistent and it might be the same thing.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Gonna go host a lobby and try orbital EMP/gas again. I spent a few matches a while ago trying to make it work and gave up after it was getting literally zero kills - like watching bugs get EMS’d right in it and walk out after the stun wore off.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The cool thing about fighting the bots is everything is exploding in cool explosions, when fighting the bugs things aren't exploding as awesomely.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sindai posted:

Oh, someone finally figured out why incendiary weapons feel really bad most of the time: a fire DoT on enemies only hurts them if it was inflicted by the host: https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bqykqb/burning_damage_deals_zero_damage_when_you_are_not/

Some people in the comments saying gas strikes are wildly inconsistent and it might be the same thing.
:prepop:

Probably has a lot to do with flamethrower swarm clear issues.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Why do so many people bail on operations? I've done maybe 19 missions today and none have had more than 1 in a chain, even when I'm hosting because everyone leaves even if it was a smooth run

Because it's a 2ish hour time commitment and people have poo poo to do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I hit a bile titan with the quasar 5 times, most hits at its mouth, and it didn't die

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
3 missions is probably on average ~1 hour, especially since one of those missions will very frequently be eradicate/blitz, both of which are 15 mins max(usually more like 7-10).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RC Cola posted:

No, it can't penetrate their engine armor :( It might work if you shoot up into the actual thruster part but I've never tried. It can penetrate scout strider armor and it absolutely wrecks tanks, hulks, etc if you can hit the vent. Vs small bots it will basically insta-delete their head but takes maybe half a second if you don't hit the head. It kills devastators/troopers in about 2 seconds of sustained fire on a non-vent part and can't penetrate trooper shields. It kills berserkers very fast if you hit their head but not fast enough if you don't, I usually swap to Slugger or Scorcher for berserkers. Against bugs it penetrates hive guard armor and pops the head of any medium bug extremely fast and can just sweep across swarms of small bugs with ease, but its relatively slow turn speed can be an issue if they're close.

I'd say it's overall the most versatile weapon in that it works against any enemy that isn't a Charger or Bile Titan while not having to worry about ammo efficiency, and it's one of the few weapons that works well against both big targets and small targets which are the main advantages it has over things like the autocannon. The biggest drawback is that it doesn't stagger things.

It can also snipe shrieker nests and spore spewers within 200m

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 30, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

3 missions is probably on average ~1 hour, especially since one of those missions will very frequently be eradicate/blitz, both of which are 15 mins max(usually more like 7-10).

There is no way the average MC/ extract of a pub is ~20 minutes; and typically people don't mash the next mission button instantly upon getting back to the ship, or pick strats instantly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Uh, it's super-easy to rush bots - even moreso than bugs because you can easily outpace them until they give up the chase. They don't move very quickly and they only shoot the hell out of you when they know you're there - so don't fire at them unless you're willing to start some poo poo with them. Using Stealth Light Armor makes it really easy to outmaneuver them/go through any gaps in their patrols/formations and you can take a fair number of objectives without needing to fire a shot.

Wtf why would it matter that you are faster than the bots? Am I playing another game because the bots have ranged weapons so their speed is completely irrelevant. Even on helldive it's easier to rush mission on bugs because bile spewers mortar is easier to dodge if you just spam dive.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sindai posted:

Truly the same engine as the Xtide games, Fatshark says hello

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Infidelicious posted:

There is no way the average MC/ extract of a pub is ~20 minutes; and typically people don't mash the next mission button instantly upon getting back to the ship, or pick strats instantly.

People will instantly quit if they see the host go towards the Ship Management or Armory consoles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ulio posted:

Wtf why would it matter that you are faster than the bots? Am I playing another game because the bots have ranged weapons so their speed is completely irrelevant. Even on helldive it's easier to rush mission on bugs because bile spewers mortar is easier to dodge if you just spam dive.

With stealth armor they lose track of you pretty much as soon as you duck out of line of sight, so it's easy to avoid their fire unless you get caught in the crossfire between multiple groups. Stealth armor doesn't just reduce detection range, it also seems to reduce the range the enemy can track you at without a clear visual.

I go for medium stealth armor against bots though because light stealth armor dies way too fast to the occasional laser chip damage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Truly the same engine as the Xtide games, Fatshark says hello

<insert First Time? meme>

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Any goon Helldiver specific discord? OP only has a Playstation and some other group discord.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Zesty posted:

Any goon Helldiver specific discord? OP only has a Playstation and some other group discord.

The "other" group discord is Marvelous and where all the goons are playing. But I guess we can keep it a secret for all the cool kids.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

deep dish peat moss posted:

With stealth armor they lose track of you pretty much as soon as you duck out of line of sight, so it's easy to avoid their fire unless you get caught in the crossfire between multiple groups. Stealth armor doesn't just reduce detection range, it also seems to reduce the range the enemy can track you at without a clear visual.

I go for medium stealth armor against bots though because light stealth armor dies way too fast to the occasional laser chip damage.

Eh, I think that's just how bots are. I notice a lot of the time they'll be looking at the corner I went behind when I come out from another and I use the light explosive resist armor that was in the superstore against them. They're not terribly hard to juke, just don't get caught in the open or keep peeking the same corner.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

Pretty good. It's an EAT with infinite ammo, but a several second charge time and then a short cooldown before you can shoot again.
Strong when you have time to line up a shot, weak when you're actively getting pressured.

Mix it with stun grenades and +grenade armor and it gets real good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Mix it with stun grenades and +grenade armor and it gets real good.

I feel so vulnerable to striders without this setup though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Shoot it with a quasar. It’s not like you have limited ammo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

if the quasar breaks anything its probably shrieker nests. it was already kind of odd that you could just snipe them, but at least it consumed like 6 EAT/RR shots which was not a minor time commitment. With the quasar you can just casually snipe them repeatedly.

TBH shriekers and spores should be resistant to long range fire, like you got to get up close to them and shoot up past the armor or something.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Ravenfood posted:

Scorcher if you have it makes short work of striders.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Blitzer plus Laser Cannon is a really fun combination. Blitzer handles close range trash and stunlocks devestators and berserkers up close, Laser Cannon handles anything with a weak point and needing to be precise at long range. Blitzer > Senator is a fun combination for up-close berserkers, you zap them once to stun and then empty the Senator. It feels versatile, and everything is always loaded when you need it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just spent almost 15 straight minutes defending the pelican on a level 7 bug mission while half my team worked on killing a single bug nest on the opposite side of the map (and failed, so the two of us at the pelican extracted alone)

I was using the Scythe :pwn: It kind of owns, still don't understand why everyone hates on it so much.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 30, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Had a fun bug where a Strider lost its pilot but did not die.

It couldn’t shoot anymore so it just followed me around like a lost puppy for the rest of the map. I kept panicking when I saw it then realized it was just my buddy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Scorcher if you have it makes short work of striders.

I do not. I look forward to it. Currently trying to make Slugger work but my aim might not be good enough to really lean on its strengths. As is the stagger is nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I skipped 3 pages but bots kick rear end. They actually fight you and have tactics and aren’t a swarming mess of claws and poo poo.

You can sneak by them and break into their bases and blow up their poo poo like an action movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I played an easy solo bot mission with the nah I turned off and with mission impossible music playing over the game and it was a blast lmao

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

I do not. I look forward to it. Currently trying to make Slugger work but my aim might not be good enough to really lean on its strengths. As is the stagger is nice.

The slugger is good too, it's better against devestators because it staggers them if you miss their weak spot while the scorcher is better against striders. The scorcher is more responsive and has less recoil but you still need to be accurate with it because it will run though ammo quick.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is there crossplay between PC and PS5? I mentioned my interest in Helldivers 2 to a coworker and he's interested in us playing together, but it'd be me on PC and him on PS5.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is there crossplay between PC and PS5? I mentioned my interest in Helldivers 2 to a coworker and he's interested in us playing together, but it'd be me on PC and him on PS5.

Yes but I've heard adding people to your friends list cross platform has had some issues.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I play on the PC with a half dozen PS5 playing friends, it works fine. You have to generate the friend code in the social tab and get them to type it in (or vice versa) to be cross-platform friends.

Then it's functionally the same as playing with PC players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Ravendas posted:

I play on the PC with a half dozen PS5 playing friends, it works fine. You have to generate the friend code in the social tab and get them to type it in (or vice versa) to be cross-platform friends.

Then it's functionally the same as playing with PC players.

It's bugged. Not everyone can accept it. I've got a friend request from a PS5 friend for 10 days that the game won't let me accept.