Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I don't think anyone lost out here. You either want your BF to have a dream truck or you want him to be miserable. They just learned something important about each other in time to avoid moving in with an incompatible partner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is a lousy gimmick, and that's coming from the one who just posted food-based rap parody.

Anyway:

quote:

I do not have mommy issues. I just think that my wife could have been more graceful with how she treated her mother. I told her I could've asked her mom to leave but she chose to escalate. I may not understand their issues completely but I did it for her. Not me. But it's helpless.

quote:

Your right this has nothing to do what with me. I did not expect this reaction from my wife. It might be justified but I just don't get why she's so insisting on never giving her mom a chance to sit down for an honest conversation to try to get to the root of their problems. I've talked to my MIL and she expressed her desire to reconsile and I saw it was on fair to let a conflict prevent them from restablishing a relationship based on respect and understanding.
My "I Do Not Have Mommy Issues" t-shirt is raising a lot of que

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Halloween Jack posted:

It might be justified but I just don't get why she's so insisting

I was just having this discussion with my own wife (and kids) related to Hellen Keller. How some people are like "I don't understand..." and instead of becoming curious and trying to find out, they're like "it must be bullshit!"

I don't understand why my wife won't get along with her mom. It must be bullshit! I need to force her to think like I do.

I don't understand how a deaf-blind woman learned to read and write ergo it didn't happen and THEY are lying to us.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
What gimmick? Giant truck devotion is a lifestyle. There's plenty of people in America that are all about giant trucks, and/or want their partners to have giant trucks. Figuring out where you're at on stuff like this is part of dating

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vim Fuego posted:

I don't think anyone lost out here. You either want your BF to have a dream truck or you want him to be miserable. They just learned something important about each other in time to avoid moving in with an incompatible partner

Anyone who has "a dream truck" deserves to be miserable. The only reason anyone needs to own a truck is if you are frequently transporting lots of cargo - such as if you work in construction or lawncare. Dudes an office worker. gently caress him.

Vim Fuego posted:

What gimmick? Giant truck devotion is a lifestyle. There's plenty of people in America that are all about giant trucks, and/or want their partners to have giant trucks. Figuring out where you're at on stuff like this is part of dating

These people are, every single time, the worst human beings imaginable and I hope they all get run over by their giant trucks.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Let me guess, you believe the stereotype that all men want sex 24/7 & should feel grateful/blessed/flattered that they're being groped or made uncomfortable. Stop being part of the problem.

the groping is not a good thing and I said so? but getting big mad that your 23yo gf shared your horny love letters with her friends is funny and lol if that's somehow a problematic take

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

My bf and i were supposed to move in together. 2 weeks ago, he bought a 87k truck without telling me. I refuse to move in with him.
I like that he prepared a whole budget, saw he's only got $115 per month for the next 6+ months, and decided to go ahead anyways.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just a goofy little breach of confidence

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

MagusofStars posted:

I like that he prepared a whole budget, saw he's only got $115 per month for the next 6+ months, and decided to go ahead anyways.

He can fill the gas tank every two months if he doesn't pay for anything else

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Some fierce spine here:
He traded in his reliable 2003 toyota and all his savings to get a loan at 14 percent for 72 months.

14 percent is the sort of loan you get if you have absolutely wretched credit, or if you are an idiot who got basically mind-controlled by a car salesman, or both. OP dodged a bullet with this one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for embarrassing MIL in front of a co-worker she hates, because she is determined to make my wedding planning hell?

quote:

My fiance's mom is the worst. She thinks she is a princess and we should all just bow down, and she very clearly thinks she is better than me. Don't worry he is not a mama's boy and he does his best, but we did make the mistake of accepting her generosity, so now we can't go scorched Earth when she starts up with her poo poo.

We are currently in the trenches of it, because I told her that the pale gold dress she wanted to wear was inappropriate for the mother of the groom. Ever since then she has been threatening to upstage me or to wear white.

The other night, MIL took us to dinner and started up with her poo poo again. She was "teasing" me about how she gave birth to him and should be able to wear whatever she wants and implying my dress was plain. MIL then made a face like something was wrong and when asked said "Scott" had just walked in.

For background Scott and MIL work together and do not get along. They are both very competitive and have this rivalry, and recently he felt she poached a client from him, so before she was leaving for her meeting, he poured a coffee cup filled with vodka on her. Then he was like well she can't go smelling like alcohol it's unprofessional, so he got the client back and MIL has been seething ever since.

Later in the evening MIL began "teasing" me again about the wedding so without saying anything, I got up, crossed the restaurant and approached Scott. MIL ran after me and was like don't you dare and digging her nails into my arm. I went up to the table and said sorry to interrupt his date, but I heard he liked throwing drinks at MIL and I was wondering if he wanted to come to my wedding, and be in charge of covering in red wine if she wore anything inappropriate.

I've never seen MIL look that embarrassed, but omg her face went red and Scott burst out laughing. He said there was nothing in the world he would love more. MIL dragged me off and read me the riot act about "humiliating" and "betraying" her. Then stormed off and left us with a massive tab she had previously agreed to pay. She is still not speaking to me and telling the family how awful I am.

I sure hope op doesn’t think this is over. I also never heard the sound of dueling banjos coming over a post more than this for some reason.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hughlander posted:

I sure hope op doesn’t think this is over. I also never heard the sound of dueling banjos coming over a post more than this for some reason.

Everyone sucks here and it loving rules.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

idiotsavant posted:

the groping is not a good thing and I said so? but getting big mad that your 23yo gf shared your horny love letters with her friends is funny and lol if that's somehow a problematic take

Definitely a good look, making the whole sexual harassed thing an asterisk to your Hot Take of making GBS threads on a guy who's been sexually harassed.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone who has "a dream truck" deserves to be miserable. The only reason anyone needs to own a truck is if you are frequently transporting lots of cargo - such as if you work in construction or lawncare. Dudes an office worker. gently caress him.

These people are, every single time, the worst human beings imaginable and I hope they all get run over by their giant trucks.

Totally BWM. Anyone who bought a top-of-the-line truck these past few years also paid big markups to do so. That money is now gone due to the market finally normalizing and truck sales falling dramatically. At the same time, insurance went up. These people can't trade them in without writing a huge check to pay off the loan so they buy any cheap car while they still have decent credit and let the truck go to repo. There was never going to be a happy ending for car payments over $1000 at 14%

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So we’re done with the sexual harassment/assault story, thank you.

Pay attention to the truck idiot. Or anything else.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Me [26F] with husband [26M] of 4 years. He sold his truck because of our baby and hasn't been the same since.

quote:

My husband and I have been together for 4 years and married for 2 of the those years. We always planned on having children but 7 months ago we found out it was happening a lot sooner than we imagined. He bought the truck right before we met. He loved it. I guess you could say he was even slightly obsessed with it. I knew this before we started dating and it didn't change in the 4 years we have been together. He spent a lot of money on it and continued to spend a lot of money on it. Everything he did in his spare time had to due with his truck. All his friends are truck guys like him and he's even in this cute little truck club. Since we've been together I don't think we have taken my car anywhere we have been together actually.

He doesn't make great money but he likes his job and still paid his portion of everything so I never had a problem with him spending his little bit of extra money on his truck. We found out I was pregnant and we were both scared, shocked and excited.

A few months ago he brought up that he doesn't know if he'll be able to afford the truck and the baby. I didn't even know if it would be practical with how big and loud the truck is. We didn't talk about it for a while and then a few weeks ago he told me as much as he didn't want to he was going to try and sell the truck because the baby was getting so close. He said he couldn't afford the payments and upkeep and maintenance on the truck if we were raising a child. He was is good spirits about it and found potential buyers very quickly. He sold it a couple days later for what he wanted and bought a car the next day.

It's been around 3 weeks since he sold the truck and he has changed completely. We are always laughing and having fun together and I don't think I've seen him smile since. I've done everything I can think of to make him feel better and to get his mind off it and nothing has worked. He just comes home from work and watches TV until bed. He's mopey and just drains the energy out of the room as mean as that sounds. I asked him why he hasn't been hanging out with his friends anymore and he told me because he sold his truck. He said everything they did was related to that somehow and it wouldn't be the same. Last night he told me he feels resentment and bitterness towards me even tho it was 100% his decision to sell the truck and he doesn't know why he feels that way. What can I do to help him get past all this? Is he depressed? I just don't know what to do. I know it was just a truck but it had more of an impact on him than I thought it would.

Tldr : husband of 4 years sold his truck because he knew he wouldn't be able to afford it and the baby. Ever since he has been acting completely different.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

"Truck Guys" need to be added to the DSM.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

maybe if someone would explain to him that a baby making GBS threads its diaper is a lot like rolling coal he would be able to love a human infant as much as he loves a truck

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Vim Fuego posted:

Me [26F] with husband [26M] of 4 years. He sold his truck because of our baby and hasn't been the same since.

There's a happy ending! The original was posted Mar 2, 2016. This update was posted Mar 24, 2016, so about 3 weeks later.

quote:

I wanted to post an update because it's nice reading positive outcomes on here. I got a lot of responses and it really helped me better understand what he was going thru. We were finally able to have a good talk about it. He told me what a lot of you said. That truck was his identity and part of who he was.

I told him I knew he didn't want that car he bought and he told me I was right. We talked more an enventually figured out something that would work. He sold the car he had and we agreed he could just use mine. Our schedule works out to where he could take me to work and pick me up on time. It wasn't a big hassle and I was going on maternity leave soon anyways. He found a totaled truck for sale and the engine was still in good condition. It was the engine he wanted. He bought the truck for what was supposedly a really good deal and him and a couple friends ripped everything out of it that he needed and got rid of the body. The engine is in our garage now. It took him a couple weeks but he found a truck to put the engine into and him and a friend are going to pick it up this weekend. He's back to his old self again and baby is gonna be here soon and we couldn't be more excited!!

Tldr: husband had to sell his truck because of our baby and he wasn't the same afterwards. We figured something out and he's back to his old self and the baby will be here soon.

A project truck! At least it cured his depression, kinda.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The only time I didn't preheat a pizza it thawed too much before it started to cook and fell apart through the top oven rack.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

Honestly, I'd take the truck over OP too. Good call on the BFs part

It’d be a significant upgrade to your living situation, if nothing else

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BrigadierSensible posted:

A lifetime ago. I did 2 or 3 years there around '04. Coz I am old.

Ah. I was a bit later, 07-12. Probably all the dealers you went through with were my pitbosses.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoubleNegative posted:

There's a happy ending! The original was posted Mar 2, 2016. This update was posted Mar 24, 2016, so about 3 weeks later.

A project truck! At least it cured his depression, kinda.

Yeah getting rid of your only hobby for a baby is not sustainable, even if it's a truck. Gotta have something to do that isn't baby.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

FMguru posted:

Mostly meh, but OP gets off a great line

AITAH for making my ex’s fiancee cry?

Yesterday my daughter turned 15 and we had a party. She was following me around like she wanted to talk. Then she offered to help cleaning. She started asking weird questions about my relationship with her fiancé and how it was. I realized that she was talking about sex. They’re not having any since they conceived. I was embarrassed and confused.
I thought "she" was the daughter since the author apparently doesn't know how to use pronouns, and I was concerned the 15 year old was pregnant

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
The truck talk is reminding me that earlier this week I saw a Tesla truck. It looked dumb as poo poo.

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA For leaving for the weekend after my wife agreed to host Easer at our house without consulting me
I want an update from this.

quote:

She needs to develop a backbone and learn to use the word 'no'.

quote:

Unfortunately she has—to her husband
I like this, it's a reminder that being a "people pleaser" usually means that you only please certain people.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is a lousy gimmick, and that's coming from the one who just posted food-based rap parody.

Anyway:

quote:

Your right this has nothing to do what with me. I did not expect this reaction from my wife. It might be justified but I just don't get why she's so insisting on never giving her mom a chance to sit down for an honest conversation to try to get to the root of their problems. I've talked to my MIL and she expressed her desire to reconsile and I saw it was on fair to let a conflict prevent them from restablishing a relationship based on respect and understanding.
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Some good comments from other people:

quote:

I wish my mother felt the same way. I'm 1 week away from marking exactly 2 years of no contact where the only sound from my mother's end is to the effect of "I did nothing wrong so I'm just going to sit here until you realise your mistake and come crawling over to me"

I sometimes wonder if she knows that this was never a game to me of "who can act like they care less"?

(same person, later comment)

The last thing she said to me, in an email that slipped through the net about 8 months after I cut contact was

"I don't want to continue this not speaking thing and I would like to sit down and speak with you to get to the bottom of it."
I'm weirdly fascinated by people who keep trying to negotiate a relationship that no longer exists.

quote:

YOU DON'T NEED TO GET IT, YOU JUST NEED TO RESPECT IT.

quote:

Not just divorce papers- I expect OP’s relationship with mother in law to “mysteriously” disappear after the divorce.

Just a hunch.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just seen mod note, ignore this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edited in recognition of above

Great posting everyone!

mystes
May 31, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

I thought "she" was the daughter since the author apparently doesn't know how to use pronouns, and I was concerned the 15 year old was pregnant
Yeah but a lot of these posts are written pretty confusingly so it's pretty much par for the course

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I guarantee it was a Ford Raptor. That thing seems custom made to torpedo any financial sense for any of these loving Truck Guys.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I know loan rates are bad right now, but I am wheezing at the thought of some dude taking out a $95k loan at 14%.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Ravenfood posted:

I guarantee it was a Ford Raptor. That thing seems custom made to torpedo any financial sense for any of these loving Truck Guys.

Not expensive enough for a Raptor. It had "all the options" and a Raptor starts at $113k with no options other than the big engine

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do Big Truck guys ever buy a prime mover in order to be actually big?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Zorak of Michigan posted:

14 percent is the sort of loan you get if you have absolutely wretched credit, or if you are an idiot who got basically mind-controlled by a car salesman, or both. OP dodged a bullet with this one.

"I Was Basically Mind Controlled Into Cheating" person but its about buying a big truck insteas

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Hughlander posted:

yep. But at 450 it may take 20-25 minutes depending on the oven. That's why I picked a high temperature.

Is this a US/Europe thing where the lower voltage is taking a toll again (reason why boiling water for tea is apparently a pain in the US), because my (decent quality AEG) oven hits 450f/225c in 8-9 minutes. (Don't please ask me if I just timed this. )

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Electric stoves (and dryers) in the US run on double-strength plugs; so 220 volts instead of 110. I think that makes them the same as Europe? Unless they use double-strength there too for QUAD DAMAGE...

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
It's because home ovens are much larger in the US

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pleads posted:

ESH for “whack it in”

I whack in a gas oven for the auto-erotic asphyxiation thrill

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Oh yeah, now I remember reading about the extra power for ovens in the US.

Cerekk posted:

It's because home ovens are much larger in the US

It probably is this, but it might also be because it's a convection oven, too.

quote:

European ovens often come equipped with convection cooking as a standard feature, while this is less common in American ovens. Convection cooking uses a fan to circulate hot air, resulting in faster and more even cooking. This can be particularly beneficial for baking and roasting.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Mx. posted:

My (25F) best friend (24M) proposed to me. I’m confused and mortified. Where can we go from here?

update to this one:

[UPDATE] My (25F) best friend (24M) proposed to me. I’m confused and mortified. Where can we go from here?

quote:

Hey, I’m not dead! I’m back at my parent’s house at the moment and I’ll be staying here until school picks back up in a bit instead of travelling around. It’s nice to be home anyways.

Update TLDR: Jordan and I spoke. He didn’t explain where he got the idea we were in a relationship from, and he doubled down on the proposal idea saying I should’ve loved it. Apparently he’s dropping out of university.

Update:

Jordan did in fact not come back to the hotel. I stayed up until 1am before falling asleep and he didn’t return. When I woke up the next day, the hotel staff let me know he had checked himself out at about 6am.

I did end up responding to his big long text. I took everyone’s advice and told him that I was sorry it didn’t go as he had expected but that I wasn’t sure where he’d got the impression we were together. I said I’d be happy to sit and have a discussion about it all so we could make sure we’re on the same page.

He was not happy about this at all. And he again went off which a bunch of the same type of thing he’d said in his first message. It didn’t really seem to be going through his head at all. Even in these new texts he kept referring to this all as me ‘breaking up’ with him, despite me explicitly telling him we are not and never have.

Again, all his messages were very clear and coherent, even if what he was saying was not based in reality at all. He wasn’t sending paragraphs, just sentences in really quick succession which was blowing my phone up.

He told me he didn’t want to meet up with me to talk because I had ‘ripped out his heart and crushed it in public’.

I did ask him for specific instances he could recall between us that made him think we were dating, but he completely ignored the question and just kept going on and on about how hurt he was that I was ‘breaking up’ with him and how he felt his world was ending. He said he loved me more than anything and had felt so confident that I had too which is why he felt so certain about proposing to ‘move our relationship along’ (???)

Eventually, to be honest, I grew pretty tired of the conversation and stopped responding, because it was just going around and around in circles. Me asking where he got this idea, him ignoring this and telling me how hurt he is I’m breaking up with him over this, etc etc.

He went on and on saying he thought it would be a ring I like, because it was my favourite gem, ruby, instead of diamond. (It’s got me wondering how much he actually spent on this drat thing. I didn’t look very clearly at the ring so I couldn’t tell if it was something super expensive or not) and that he had been working up the courage to do so for a while and figured doing it when I was at home would make it more special.

For a while, he was just talking to himself in my texts, because I wasn’t responding anymore. When I checked back about 20 minutes later, I had something like 60 messages from him. Granted, they were all one sentences.

At the very end he apologised and told me that it didn’t matter anyway because I ‘wouldn’t see him around anymore’. Obviously I was concerned so I asked for clarification. He said that he was going to drop out of University and go back home because he ‘couldn’t deal with the shame’.

That’s where our conversation ended. I didn’t really know what to respond to that. 
As it stands now, I don’t really know where Jordan is. I didn’t ask him, which is my bad. I’m not sure if / when we will talk again.

I’m sorry this is quite a boring update. Unfortunately, I can’t excite everyone with a ‘and then he turned up at my door, and then he sent me flowers,’ or whatever.

It feels a lot is unanswered. I still don’t know where he got the idea we were saying from, he hasn’t explained that. So I’m sorry I can’t give everyone that answer.

I haven’t reached out to his family yet. I did consider it, but if he’s not having a mental health crisis, I don’t really want to involve them unnecessarily.

quote:

I have messaged his mum already about 40 minutes ago! I haven’t told her everything just yet, but it I have put my foot in the door to involve her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think he's having a goddamn mental health crisis even if he sounds coherent!