Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

It felt really dull to me. Like there's something characterless about the combat. This is why my only point of comparison is the first Surge game.

It may just be that I expected the combat to move twice as fast as it does idk. Parry seems like a waste of time when things attack so slowly and it takes multiple to get a riposte.

Yeah enemies seem to move in slow motion and the windows for “perfect” parries and dodges are massive. I’m not even sure what an imperfect parry/dodge could be. Then the way animations work have your follow-ups match with the slow enemy swing rather than directly to inputs, so the mikiri equivalent feels more like watching a fight happen than pulling off a badass move yourself.

The abandon fight looks like a cool CAG fight when you watch it in video, but it feels kinda dull and disconnected when played.

I guess it might be a decent time killer on PS+ someday.

Edit: Just saw from the previous post that there was also a "boss challenge" unlocked after the main demo. I couldn't tell you what was different about it from the main boss, aside from the name. It looks nearly the same and you can just kill him just the same. Charge beta abilities with parries then pop them whenever they're available. I don't really even know what was functionally different about the beta abilities, but the dude died fast all the same.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

JBP posted:

I define games by genres like drama, comedy and action.

FF7Rebirth is a dramedy action game.

Also Rise of the Ronin is great so far. I put it on hard and I got my rear end kicked by some yellow tier guys and had to run off lol. I made an impossibly handsome beefcake man and I'll go strength and intelligence.

Hell yeah I'm loving it too. Much like rebirth good combat makes any open world complaints i would otherwise have basically null.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Spent 6 hours playing helldivers 2 today. gently caress yeah!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

cheeseboy58 posted:

Spent 6 hours playing helldivers 2 today. gently caress yeah!

I don’t know why but this feels appropriate.

:honk:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Today I finished DragDog2, finished Open Roads and started Diablo 4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The space boobs demo wasn't great but also wasn't as horny as I was anticipating, except for the pop-out-of-the-capsule bit and the costume for the extra boss. Everyone else's take is pretty accurate- dodge feels useless, moves (both yours and enemies') feel like they take an awkwardly long time to perform, and it's very notable how unresponsive the enemies seem to you whaling on them

The extra boss has a bunch of moves that require specific counters that you may or may not have discovered in the course of the main demo, hope you browsed the skill tree when it popped up

I don't know if I'd call it complete garbage, but I'm definitely not buying it at launch price

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The normal starting dodge is weird. You can’t use it to reposition and the window to evade attacks is about the same as for the parry, but it has none of the benefits of a parry (doesn’t build beta, doesn’t lower enemy posture, doesn’t allow the OP perfect parry counters). So why would you ever use it? The blink dodge is useful but can only be used for fatal attacks, and it’s also the only response to those, which essentially makes it so prescribed it’s a QTE.

The skill tree has a few dodge upgrades, so maybe it’s just weak at the start to make you learn the parry techniques?

I didn’t really see any attacks from the boss challenge that required any special reactions other than parry and blink. That might just be because I had it shut down with a chain of beta moves. But it’s still kind of a problem that such an easy solution is available for something labeled a challenge.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

The Steller Blade demo reminded me how much fun I had parrying in FF7 Rebirth. The actual game play felt off versus Soulsbourne games but I said the same thing when Dark Souls 1 came out. I played dark souls 1 differently when it came out before I realized what the devs wanted you how to play, maybe my mind is trying to play this too much as a soulsbourne game.

The game is super pervy though so that doesn’t help. Huge emphasis on this because I would not want to play this game with anyone in the living room. Hen again I don’t play any of those Nier or bayonetta. The gameplay reminds me of the rough game feel of Remnant. I really enjoyed the Remnant series but this game doesn’t benefit from co-op nor the dope Diablo item drops.

I’d play it if it’s free on PS Plus one of these days or it’s bargain priced, I’d definitely play through it. The upgrade path and gameplay looks cool I just wouldn’t pay full price for it. I really enjoyed the space ship dual sense vibration felt like spaceships were really exploding. The dual sense features were dope.

MintFresh fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 30, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dragon's Dogma has to be one of the weirdest video games series to ever exist. So many of the design decisions are just flat out baffling. With the first game I chalked a lot of it up to developers that had never made any sort of western style rpg throwing poo poo at the wall to see what stuck. But DD2, despite being much bigger and better looking basically adds zero QOL stuff to the original. I have to think that most of these ridiculous things are in fact, very much by design. But in so many ways it feels like something made by an insane person. The level of inconvenience the game can throw at you is almost unmatched. But also like the first one I'm addicted as hell and can't stop playing it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Finished Pentiment. Love how the credits includes a bibliography

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The people who get all “VICTORY: huge space mommy milkers have crushed the woke, a term I can’t actually define but I’m sure is ruining everything!”

and

the people who get all “the problematic, objectifying nature of the nude suit in Stellar Blade have vast implications we need to talk about, both for society’s view of women and for myself, personally, if my mother walks in the room. In this essay, I will…”

Deserve each other and I wish them unhappiness but also hopefully therapy.

My flaming Cheetos hot take is that it’s fun to look at the ray traced space boobs and hit the monsters on the screen until they die. Also the starting dodge/parry are hot steaming poo poo and once you get the upgrades it feels way better. Honestly should have made those the default move set for a better impression, could see them losing some sales from that.

Think of the generations of humanity that had to be born, struggle into existence, fight to evolve individually and the species as a whole, and ultimately pass on, all for you to be able to view these particle perfect, lovingly rendered, perfectly illuminated space boobs in this place in time. In this essay I will…

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

I said come in! posted:

I like video games with sad dads, but now I am ready for sad moms. Which I guess technically is what the final bit of Last of Us Part 2 is.

Wrong, its neither, its about :

https://twitter.com/108minusContext/status/1475243349267431425?t=eFragS0RRH0HjiRQ0st0lQ&s=19

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

fridge corn posted:

Gah, I gotta get back to that, but my brain has pretty much been entirely eaten by Balatro.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

exquisite tea posted:

August 23rd, 2001.

:hmmyes:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

haveblue posted:

I still like “brawler”

Play streets of rage then

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

unattended spaghetti posted:

I'm not one for getting pedantic about genre designation but I always associated this to something more like a belt scrolling beat 'em up with relatively simple move sets. Or like, Fighting Force? Anyone remember that one? Lol

Yes!! Good post no av goon, ps1 games rule. Tho its annoying that fighting force 2 costs insane money these days cos i want it on disc

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 30, 2024

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Lobok posted:

Brawler and beat-em-up are interchangeable and SoR is just one of the better ones. Though I like calling them beat-em-ups because brawler to me is more comprehensive. Like Yakuza to me is a brawler, not a beat-em-up, since the focus is not just purely on kicking rear end and because you're not as railroaded in your path through the game world.

Yakuza 0-6 is a jrpg brawler. And so is yakuza 8 chapter 9 onwards when that bar fills up :sickos:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Stellar Blade demo is dope. Sucks to see both sides be weird about hot people but whatever.

How big is the demo, i might actually try it out now ive seen enough people whos tastea i kinda know say the gameplay is good. Might be a fun blast through on the cheap/psplus

Edit: someone get up and post between my posts. I got postin' to do and im hitting the limits..!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Started up the Unicorn Overlord demo and I'm.immediately blasted in the face with Ogre Battle nostalgia :tviv:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I need to buy Dragons Dogma 2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Gah, I gotta get back to that, but my brain has pretty much been entirely eaten by Balatro.

Balatrowns

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

drat Scarlett has some nice boobs

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm talking about the Unicorn Overlord Scarlett, though you can be forgiven if you thought I was talking about FF7 Scarlet, she also has nice boobs

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Do all Scarlets have nice boobs?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bloodysabbath posted:

The people who get all “VICTORY: huge space mommy milkers have crushed the woke, a term I can’t actually define but I’m sure is ruining everything!”

and

the people who get all “the problematic, objectifying nature of the nude suit in Stellar Blade have vast implications we need to talk about, both for society’s view of women and for myself, personally, if my mother walks in the room. In this essay, I will…”

Deserve each other and I wish them unhappiness but also hopefully therapy.

based take.

stellar blade demo is totally fine and there is almost no emphasis on the character's body at all outside of the very very opening where there's a slow-mo of her leaving a space ship or whatever. i'm barely looking at the character during gameplay anyway bc you need to watch enemies to observe their attack patterns.

like everyone has mentioned, the combat is slower than expected, but it's not a bad thing once you get used to it. the in-game tutorials encourage learning the dodge mechanic, but it is way less useful than parrying in normal combat. during the boss fight, though, perfect dodging does come in handy for unblockable attacks if you can get the timing right. while in souls games some people can rely on only dodge rolls, but parries are heavily emphasized in sekiro and lies of p, stellar blade feels like it wants you to do both.

the demo itself was fine, but the boss challenge fight was actually really fun. perfect dodges are almost necessary to avoid some of the bigger grab attacks. i restarted the demo after completing it, and even the first mini boss that took some time to understand at first was a cake walk the second time around. the combat in this is definitely fun once you get the hang of it.

i will admit the costume for the boss challenge fight is pretty egregious, though, lol.

not a $70 purchase but would def consider it when it inevitably goes on sale.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for not being weird about the boobs Nomura

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

veni veni veni posted:

Dragon's Dogma has to be one of the weirdest video games series to ever exist. So many of the design decisions are just flat out baffling. With the first game I chalked a lot of it up to developers that had never made any sort of western style rpg throwing poo poo at the wall to see what stuck. But DD2, despite being much bigger and better looking basically adds zero QOL stuff to the original. I have to think that most of these ridiculous things are in fact, very much by design. But in so many ways it feels like something made by an insane person. The level of inconvenience the game can throw at you is almost unmatched. But also like the first one I'm addicted as hell and can't stop playing it

I wish Helldivers 2 wasn't so much fun as well, because a few days ago I also started spreading democracy in Vermund and I don't see myself fighting Terminids and Automatons anytime soon.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I'm a rowdy, horny pervert, and I will not be enjoying Stellar Blade because it's 80$

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

fridge corn posted:

If you don't mind an unsolicited video rec, here's one to watch after playing Pentiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZcNA16m8A

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

After a long gameplay session in DD2 where I achieved a lot (unlocked the last two classes, killed two unique bosses) I was heading to my house to get a solid save and a major character, the beastren priestess, was there and needed me to do a quest before sunrise, which meant not getting my reliable save. During her quest, I was asked to help two beastren. One of which was running from a guard, who asked me to lie to the guards about where he went. In previous quests, that was a good choice, and I am prone to me sympathetic to people running from corrupt police. As soon as the guard arrived, instead of getting the choice to lie... the guard just says he recognizes me and I teleport to jail? I've never committed a crime and don't know why that happened, but it instantly erased the quest I was on. The important character from the quest in now stuck where she was when I was arrested and completely unresponsive and can't be used for other quests... and since my inn save was interrupted, I'd have to lose hours of gameplay to fix her and any attached quests.

I think they for the save system they chose, the quest system really needed more polish.

It's kind of put me in the mood to just ditch all the remaining quests and beeline the ending. The side-quests haven't been much fun, I've explored the entire map anyway, a quick search shows that I did all killed all the unique bosses, and I'm apparently past the normal endgame level just from exploring.

At the moment, I've kind of got a bit of buyers remorse. Wish I'd gone for Ronin...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

If you don't mind an unsolicited video rec, here's one to watch after playing Pentiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZcNA16m8A

Thanks I'll definitely put that on my watch list!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

goblin week posted:

I'm a rowdy, horny pervert, and I will not be enjoying Stellar Blade because it's 80$

This but £70

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

That's only £35 per boob tho which if you think about it, it's basically free

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

fridge corn posted:

thank you ropekid

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

veni veni veni posted:

I will play DD2 someday but after playing DD1 Dark Arisen I have a hard time imagining playing without a permanent teleporting Ferrystone like they give you in Dark Arisen. I was hoping theyd add horses or something, or at least make it so you dont lose stamina running when not in battle, which I guess they havent.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ferrystones are just about plentiful enough that for the times when you really don't want to make the trek, you'll have one on hand.
I think the bigger issue is that there's basically only 2 places to port to (plus a third you can plant down anywhere).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ferrystones are just about plentiful enough that for the times when you really don't want to make the trek, you'll have one on hand.
I think the bigger issue is that there's basically only 2 places to port to (plus a third you can plant down anywhere).

In DDDA I had a bunch of portcrystals, are you saying those are gone/ you just get one?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think there's a total of four portable crystals to find, and a fifth behind MTX

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I like what DD2 is going for, but I won’t play it till it’s cheap.

Games can have frictional mechanics and that’s cool, but there’s evocative tedium that serves theme and there’s being stubbornly backward looking and unwilling to get with the times, and imho DD2 seems to land too near the latter. Kinda feel like after the physics-driven wild first impressions die down, and people have thoroughly bled what mystery exists out of the game by rampant meming, it won’t really hold up.

Not saying it’s a bad game by any stretch and I’m glad such a distinctly strange game got a sequel, especially for those who’ve been wanting one well before it was announced. But no accessibility options? Really? One save slot? Really? There’s some people out there that valorize a kind of imagined past for games, usually because of formative experiences with older ones, that cling to jagged experiences and revere them to a degree I find kinda odd. The kinds of experiences those players want aren’t bad. I actually think they’re cool. But a game like DD2 proves that to some extent, they’d be willing to sacrifice any modernity whatsoever for that nostalgic rememberance. It’s backward-looking in a way I find unpleasant, even if it does go for something cool and distinct.

I’m genuinely not knocking the game. I’ll play it for cheap like I said, and I think what it wants to do is really admirable and cool. But I’ve been struggling to put into words my unease with its release. Don’t set me on fire kind goons I’m just thinking out loud here.

e: Now that I think of it Death Stranding would be a great example of a modern game that achieves some of that tedium as compelling gameplay but doesn’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think there's a total of four portable crystals to find, and a fifth behind MTX

I think that’s similar to DD1 then, but the map was smaller.